HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ullstrom to HC Lokomotiv

Old
06-19-2013, 08:55 AM
seafoam
Do The Panic

vCash: 50
I'm not shocked at all. We retain his rights so we didn't just lose him for nothing. Maybe we'll see him down the road.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:58 AM
seabass45

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Capuano remind anyone of another coach we once had? Not as egregious as it sounds, but Capuano has that bit of Nolan in him that does not prefer younger players. Ullstrom fell victim to that and I don't blame the guy for wanting a more stable situation.
I think it's every coach. The team is really young up front (and elder statesman Matt Moulson isn't exactly inspiring as a leader), so he does dumb things like assume Reasoner is a better bet than Ullstrom or Joensuu in game 1, in spite of Marty not playing during the streak. I don't expect Ullstrom to eventually play on JTs wing but you could do a lot worse for a bottom six role.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Bunk Moreland

WTF was my reaction as well.. I don't blame Ullstrom though gotta be frustrating not getting a legitimate shot at making the lineup. There's starting to be a logjam for roster spots so I wouldn't be surprised if this happens again in the future.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:13 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I have no problem with this from either side. Ullstrom hasn't shown enough yet to get a 1-way deal, especially with Nino, Strome, Lee, Nelson.

Tavares, Moulson, Nielsen, Bailey, Okposo, Grabner, McDonald, Martin, Cizikas and Boulton who will be with the team. That is 10 forwards, which leaves room for 3 more (assuming they carry 8 d again). Hopefully they will sign at least one more forward, which leaves 2 spots for Nino, Nelson, Strome, Lee to battle over. I would have like to have seen Ullstrom in that mix, but they couldn't really guarantee him a spot.

Hopefully he will play great in the KHL and in a year or two be with the Isles.
This. As much as I like Ullstrom, there really wasn't any room for him on next year's roster. Also, I believe the KHL will be better for him development-wise, as it is a step up from the AHL.

We are already likely to start the NHL season with 2-3 rookies (Nelson, Strome, Donovan, Niederreiter). I don't think Ullstrom did enough while in the lineup or while in Bridgeport to a) guarantee him a spot on the Isles and b) earn himself a one way contract.

The only downside to this move is the inability of the Isles to call him up if injuries or benchings occur. It hurts our depth in the short-term. However, this is a huge indication of how much deeper we are as a franchise. If this was 3-5 years ago, Ullstrom not only would've been signed to a one way deal, but would have been playing a top 6 forward position.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:19 AM
IslesNorway

A little surprised but he was kinda made into a scapegoat by Cappy and I think that influenced his decision a lot.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:33 AM
gramatanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
It's one reason I say that it's intelligent to TRADE prospects who are fairly developed and are not clear fits for the team. It's why I think it's smart to trade Nino now to a team who will make a commitment to him (trading for Nino would, by itself, be a strong implied commitment).

There's no way in hell Brock Nelson or Matt Donovan will look elsewhere. Because the GM has all but publicly committed to them. But if Nino doesn't make the team, would anyone be surprised if he bolts? I sure as hell won't be. Hell, it could happen the day after the draft if Nino isn't dealt.
Nino has one year left on his contract, so he can't sign anywhere else, even the KHL!! Let's not compare Ullstrom (a good 3rd or 4th liner at best) to Nino (a potential 1st line power forward). They are night and day different in regard to ability and potential!! Also, who would you trade Nino for at this point in time?? Bobby Ryan?? Letang?

gramatanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:34 AM
19 in a row

Really bummed out by this but as long as we retain his rights as many here are saying it is not a total loss. .. I really liked his game and think he showed a lot of skill and promise. I thought for sure he was going to be a big plus in the bottom 6 this year.. I didn't understand why he was always in Cappy's doghouse last year. He was having a great game when he got called back up only to get hurt late in the game. I had wondered how his season would have wound up had he not gotten hurt again.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:43 AM
19 in a row

Sorry if I missed it but how long is Ullstrom's contract in the KHL? could he be back next year or is it a multi year deal?

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Islanders1932

this is reasoners fault haha

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:46 AM
seabass45

Didn't realize that he's 24. I can't blame him for wanting the security at this point. http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2013...ning-islanders

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:50 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
This. As much as I like Ullstrom, there really wasn't any room for him on next year's roster. Also, I believe the KHL will be better for him development-wise, as it is a step up from the AHL.

We are already likely to start the NHL season with 2-3 rookies (Nelson, Strome, Donovan, Niederreiter). I don't think Ullstrom did enough while in the lineup or while in Bridgeport to a) guarantee him a spot on the Isles and b) earn himself a one way contract.
I agree with this.

I'm not convinced the Islanders will start with that many rookies. I think 1-2 veteran players (a defenseman and a forward) will be added. Not top-flight Bobby Ryan types, but a more depth-ish type player or two (like Daniel Briere, for example). I also think they will move a young player or two to fill these gaps - just a hunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Well this stings. I'm far more upset about this loss than Street skipping town. Ullstrom is more talented than given credit for. Never looked like Cappy liked him or was comfortable with him.

Ullstrom essentially got the Nino treatment from cap. There is a real trend developing with capuano and rookies and I don't care for it. In the long run it will be detrimental to the development of the franchise.
I don't blame Capuano. I think Ullstrom was given enough of a look and he did look good at times, but also inconsistent (ala Comeau) and probably lacked NHL-IQ (again, ala Comeau/Bergenheim). Great physical tools and I'm sure he could play in the NHL - but I don't think he makes the Islanders a better team next year. Nelson/Strome/Nino have much higher upsides and are all ready/close to playing in the NHL.

I know you saw him a lot in the AHL and saw potential, but based on his NHL play, I don't think Ullstrom was going to be good enough, next season, to be worth a one-way contract. I think this move is the right one though, retaining his rights ala Joensuu.

I think it was Colin McDonald who essentially won the job over Ullstrom since that's the type of role Ullstrom would be expected to play in the NHL. What I'm not clear on is whether he has to clear waivers when/if he comes back to the NHL?

Also, would Ullstrom be eligible to be claimed by another team, this season, if he were sent to the AHL?

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Wanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichOnTheLI View Post
Very strange. Maybe he wanted to be a everyday player?

I guess this opens a spot for Nelson next season.
One week ago(?) he said to swedish media, that he loved to play in the NHL, but that he was a bit disapointed because of his limited playtime. Personally, I don't really understand why he didn't got more chances.

I understand his decision, he is good enough for the NHL. Since the Isles didn't wanted to give him a one way deal, he went to Russia to play on a higher level than the AHL... and ofcourse for the money. Anyway, I guess this will be good for his development, I hope he will be back in the future.

Wanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:47 AM
scott99

Really liked Ullstrom's game too, so I'm sorry to see him go, but glad we retain his rights. There are only so many guys that will get top 6 minutes. Tavares-Moulson-Nielsen-Okposo-Bailey, and then one of Nelson-Strome-Niederreiter. I really feel Ullstrom has some very good offensive skills, so he shouldn't be playing bottom 6 minutes.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

I got mixed feelings about this....

06-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Shame. I really thought Ullstrom could've been an awesome 3rd/4th line player for us for years to come. Maybe he'll take the Joensuu route in a few years. Would really like to see hime go further with us along the way.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:42 AM
LAPPY13

I have no problem with the Islanders only offering Ullstrom a two-way contract he did not earn or deserve a one-way contract. Let Ullstrom develop his game in the KHL and if he plays well Isles can always give him another chance to crack the line-up in 2014-15.

This opens a roster spot for Snow to upgrade the team and add a solid free agent forward this summer!

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:50 AM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
i feel the same way, but ultimately, i think it's the right move at this juncture for both parties.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:53 AM
It Was 4 to 1*

he'll be back next year

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPPY13 View Post
I have no problem with the Islanders only offering Ullstrom a two-way contract he did not earn or deserve a one-way contract. Let Ullstrom develop his game in the KHL and if he plays well Isles can always give him another chance to crack the line-up in 2014-15.

This opens a roster spot for Snow to upgrade the team and add a solid free agent forward this summer!
Agreed. Ullstrom is a tweener at this point and to give him a one-way contract wouldn't be beneficial for the team.

Replace him with a veteran 3rd/4th line player who can contribute right now. I've heard Eric Nystrom's name thrown around here previously and he would look great alongside Cizikas and Martin on the 4th line.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:07 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Gotta respect that he went to Lokomotiv.

OrangeZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:35 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

maybe Rhett the Rakh will come back. He was tied for 11th in scoring in the SEL last year, after a pretty successful couple of AHL years.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:41 PM
blinkman360
Norris

I don't see the point in not giving Ullstrom a one-way deal. He's a solid 4th liner at this point. Worst case you can use him as a 13th forward. IMO he's a better option than another waiver wire claim.

Hope he doesn't spend too much time overseas. Would like to eventually see him in our bottom-six.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:48 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Gotta respect that he went to Lokomotiv.
That never dawned on me until your post. Good for Lokomotiv, I think Ullstrom can help them. I'm not thrilled that Ullstrom is gone, but I won't cry over it either. We still have his rights so let him develop over there because the numbers game is starting to take shape.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 01:18 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
me to. I always like Ullstrom and never thought Cappy gave him a legitimate chance at proving his worth(I know he had some injuries but when healthy he never got any minutes). I hope it is a one year thing in the KHL and he will be back with the team.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:06 PM
CodeE

I honestly didn't see him as a long-term answer for the Islanders, maybe a bottom 6 guy but I don't blame him for making this decision.

It's why, especially in the later rounds of the draft, if you like a North American & European kid about equally, it's better to take the North American. It'll be a lot harder for guys like Anders Lee & Cizikas to leave the NHL and go play over in Europe.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote