HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Havlat pelvic surgery confirmed, ineligible for compliance buyout

Old
06-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Gilligans Island

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I feel like the cap hit is pro-rated. so if he came back by the deadline or something wed have enough space. but i could be way off
You're right. Cap hit is prorated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The LTIR will allow the team to increase their limit while he's on it. So they could spend over by the prorated amount depending on the day(s) we're discussing but once he's healthy enough to play, they will have to accommodate for whatever is remaining in his prorated amount for the rest of the season at the regular limit which normally means trading someone off or sending someone to Worcester. Considering his injury, it's unlikely that he will miss the entire season. Probably around New Year's would be my guess but there's very little information other than abdominal surgery.

I don't think buyout was ever going to be an option anyway but I doubt he stays on past his contract unless he really does something impressive when he gets healthy.
Just Pronger him. Have SHarkie tap his groin in December or January so he stays on LTIR longer. Bring him back at the TDL.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:14 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Buyouts don't work that way. It has to be done during the buyout period which starts 48 hours after the Finals and ends at 5pm EST on July 4th this year.
FWIW, IF the Sharks head to arbitration (either a player takes the team or they take a player), there's a potential second buyout window (48 hours after signing player or after arbitration award announcement).

(But unlikely that Havlat would even be healthy then.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Woooow Havlat ****s us come playoff time and regular season and continues to **** us in the offseason. ******* at this point Adam Burish is becoming more useful because at least he plays.

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Woooow Havlat ****s us come playoff time and regular season and continues to **** us in the offseason. ******* at this point Adam Burish is becoming more useful because at least he plays.
There's an argument to be made that an injured Havlat that doesn't play at all is more effective than Burish playing. Why? Because an injured Havlat in the lineup that doesn't play forces the good players to double shift instead of icing a horrible player.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
There's an argument to be made that an injured Havlat that doesn't play at all is more effective than Burish playing. Why? Because an injured Havlat in the lineup that doesn't play forces the good players to double shift instead of icing a horrible player.
Which leads to playing way more minutes and then getting burnt out come playoff time. So I guess we're ****ed either way lol.

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:28 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Sports hernia? Isn't that what burns played through last year? He was terrible during that stretch, though.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Do the Sharks and yourself a favor Marty, just retire.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 04:04 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
First, the Sharks cannot assign him to the AHL without (NHL) cap hit.

Second, the new CBA no longer has "re-entry" waivers.
Third, pretty sure he has an NMC (at least according to his agent).

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 04:46 PM
wtfisthis

Awesome news

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:25 PM
matt trick

You can count on a lot of Nieto and Hertl this year

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:59 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Dammit. Havlat can't even get injured right.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:35 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Hertl is already penciled in and DW didn't think he needs AHL time.

Nieto I don't know about.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:14 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
This was posted in the Sharks news & notes thread yesterday...

This surgery, like all of the others he's had, isn't going to get him healthy. He's had chronic 'lower body' injuries since before he came into the NHL.

If this article is accurate, and Russo isn't wrong very often, it's the worst possible scenario for Havlat...can't by him out and he's likely to start the season injured depending on the surgery.

Sorry but you have no idea what that surgery does for a player. I had the same injury for 8 months before I had the surgery to repair it by the same doctor who does the sharks players. It was night and day once I came back after rehab and now 2 years later I have had an issue with it since.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:19 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Sorry but you have no idea what that surgery does for a player. I had the same injury for 8 months before I had the surgery to repair it by the same doctor who does the sharks players. It was night and day once I came back after rehab and now 2 years later I have had an issue with it since.
And you have no idea what you're talking about period...it's great you A) assume you know what surgery Havlat is having as everything in this thread and the article is pure speculation and B) that you're the only person that's ever had "abdominal" surgery.

I simply said considering his injury history, another surgery isn't going "cure" him...clearly I should've included the word "likely" in there.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:20 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Do the Sharks and yourself a favor Marty, just retire.
Because losing 11 million is doing himself a favor.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:22 PM
NWShark*

For the record since a few don't know... a sports hernia is not like a typical hernia. It's actually a misnomer.. meaning it's not a hernia at all. It's basically a severely torn or damaged groin or abductor tendon. The incision is just below your junk on the inside of your upper thigh. My personal experience was about 4 or 5 months recovery as a 40 years old.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:24 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
And you have no idea what you're talking about period...it's great you A) assume you know what surgery Havlat is having as everything in this thread and the article is pure speculation and B) that you're the only person that's ever had "abdominal" surgery.

I simply said considering his injury history, another surgery isn't going "cure" him...clearly I should've included the word "likely" in there.
The problem here is that some of you don't realize just how much I actually know and speak from extensive experience. It's not abdominal surgery... And it likely can "cure" what has bothered him the last couple seasons. It's more than likely that it's just a re injury from his fall over the boards...

Old
06-19-2013, 07:25 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Hertl is already penciled in and DW didn't think he needs AHL time.
How do you know this?

Old
06-19-2013, 07:26 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
The problem here is that some of you don't realize just how much I actually know and speak from extensive experience. It's not abdominal surgery... And it likely can "cure" what has bothered him the last couple seasons. It's more than likely that it's just a re injury from his fall over the boards...
That's great.

The real problem is this is all stemming from an article that states "sources' told someone that Havlat will have abdominal surgery this offseason...I didn't make any mistake about hernia, non hernia, sports - you just assumed I did.

And his fall over the boards tore his hamstring.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:26 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Sports hernia? Isn't that what burns played through last year? He was terrible during that stretch, though.
I think Burns had it on both sides and both required the operation.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:29 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
I didn't know playing hockey means you know all about a player's health.

And it's not that people don't "realize", it's that people don't care. Simply, at this point, none of us know what type of surgery Havlat is having this off-season, so "extensive experience" means nothing.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:38 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
That's great.

The real problem is this is all stemming from an article that states "sources' told someone that Havlat will have abdominal surgery this offseason...I didn't make any mistake about hernia, non hernia, sports - you just assumed I did.

And his fall over the boards tore his hamstring.
You're right, I read the other posts calling it a sports hernia and I thought it was valuable to to the discussion to define the difference between a sports hernia and a regular hernia and the benefits that a corrective surgery could provide. Regardless, your claim that surgery won't fix it isn't accurate. You just don't know and it's likely you have no experience to support that claim.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:43 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
You're right, I read the other posts calling it a sports hernia and I thought it was valuable to to the discussion to define the difference between a sports hernia and a regular hernia and the benefits that a corrective surgery could provide. Regardless, your claim that surgery won't fix it isn't accurate. You just don't know and it's likely you have no experience to support that claim.
You're right, my claim is based on the fact he's had chronic groin / lower body injuries since 2001 and I assumed if there was a surgery to "cure" him he'd have had it by now...my bad.

And again you're right, I just don't know 'cus I have no idea what, if any, surgery he requires but again, good job assuming I likely have no "experience" with surgery.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:54 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Cheech had a double surgery and it didn't correct it. His full recovery from the surgery took more than 4 or 5 months.

I know it is different from a regular hernia. According to the articles I have read, it is a little longer recovery than regular because it takes longer for the bone/muscle attachment to heal than it does for muscle/muscle which is regular hernia. Full recovery on muscle/muscle is roughly 3 months. According to the articles, sports hernia surgery is far from 100% in success rate.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:13 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Cheech had a double surgery and it didn't correct it. His full recovery from the surgery took more than 4 or 5 months.

I know it is different from a regular hernia. According to the articles I have read, it is a little longer recovery than regular because it takes longer for the bone/muscle attachment to heal than it does for muscle/muscle which is regular hernia. Full recovery on muscle/muscle is roughly 3 months. According to the articles, sports hernia surgery is far from 100% in success rate.
Far from 100%...? That's not accurate.. there are a ton of cases of pro players having it and being "fixed"... Yes some can't get past it but there are many contributors. Cheech had more problems and his injury was far worse than the typical. Maybe he didn't rehab it as well as he should have, I don't know. But the same guy that operated on him operated on me and said that mine was pretty much as bad as you can get probably from trying to play on it for 8 months after the injury.