HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Havlat pelvic surgery confirmed, ineligible for compliance buyout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-19-2013, 01:45 PM
  #26
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 7,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I feel like the cap hit is pro-rated. so if he came back by the deadline or something wed have enough space. but i could be way off
You're right. Cap hit is prorated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The LTIR will allow the team to increase their limit while he's on it. So they could spend over by the prorated amount depending on the day(s) we're discussing but once he's healthy enough to play, they will have to accommodate for whatever is remaining in his prorated amount for the rest of the season at the regular limit which normally means trading someone off or sending someone to Worcester. Considering his injury, it's unlikely that he will miss the entire season. Probably around New Year's would be my guess but there's very little information other than abdominal surgery.

I don't think buyout was ever going to be an option anyway but I doubt he stays on past his contract unless he really does something impressive when he gets healthy.
Just Pronger him. Have SHarkie tap his groin in December or January so he stays on LTIR longer. Bring him back at the TDL.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:14 PM
  #27
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Buyouts don't work that way. It has to be done during the buyout period which starts 48 hours after the Finals and ends at 5pm EST on July 4th this year.
FWIW, IF the Sharks head to arbitration (either a player takes the team or they take a player), there's a potential second buyout window (48 hours after signing player or after arbitration award announcement).

(But unlikely that Havlat would even be healthy then.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:57 PM
  #28
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 12,873
vCash: 500
Woooow Havlat ****s us come playoff time and regular season and continues to **** us in the offseason. ******* at this point Adam Burish is becoming more useful because at least he plays.

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:22 PM
  #29
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,569
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Woooow Havlat ****s us come playoff time and regular season and continues to **** us in the offseason. ******* at this point Adam Burish is becoming more useful because at least he plays.
There's an argument to be made that an injured Havlat that doesn't play at all is more effective than Burish playing. Why? Because an injured Havlat in the lineup that doesn't play forces the good players to double shift instead of icing a horrible player.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:24 PM
  #30
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 12,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
There's an argument to be made that an injured Havlat that doesn't play at all is more effective than Burish playing. Why? Because an injured Havlat in the lineup that doesn't play forces the good players to double shift instead of icing a horrible player.
Which leads to playing way more minutes and then getting burnt out come playoff time. So I guess we're ****ed either way lol.

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:28 PM
  #31
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor
 
KpopandHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 8,573
vCash: 50
Sports hernia? Isn't that what burns played through last year? He was terrible during that stretch, though.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:36 PM
  #32
Evincar
Your Final Judgement
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,212
vCash: 500
Do the Sharks and yourself a favor Marty, just retire.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 04:04 PM
  #33
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts
 
CrazedZooChimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,734
vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
First, the Sharks cannot assign him to the AHL without (NHL) cap hit.

Second, the new CBA no longer has "re-entry" waivers.
Third, pretty sure he has an NMC (at least according to his agent).

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 04:46 PM
  #34
wtfisthis
Registered User
 
wtfisthis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,777
vCash: 500
Awesome news

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:25 PM
  #35
matt trick
Registered User
 
matt trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,778
vCash: 500
You can count on a lot of Nieto and Hertl this year

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:59 PM
  #36
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,611
vCash: 1965
Dammit. Havlat can't even get injured right.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:35 PM
  #37
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,331
vCash: 500
Hertl is already penciled in and DW didn't think he needs AHL time.

Nieto I don't know about.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:14 PM
  #38
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
This was posted in the Sharks news & notes thread yesterday...

This surgery, like all of the others he's had, isn't going to get him healthy. He's had chronic 'lower body' injuries since before he came into the NHL.

If this article is accurate, and Russo isn't wrong very often, it's the worst possible scenario for Havlat...can't by him out and he's likely to start the season injured depending on the surgery.

Sorry but you have no idea what that surgery does for a player. I had the same injury for 8 months before I had the surgery to repair it by the same doctor who does the sharks players. It was night and day once I came back after rehab and now 2 years later I have had an issue with it since.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:19 PM
  #39
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Sorry but you have no idea what that surgery does for a player. I had the same injury for 8 months before I had the surgery to repair it by the same doctor who does the sharks players. It was night and day once I came back after rehab and now 2 years later I have had an issue with it since.
And you have no idea what you're talking about period...it's great you A) assume you know what surgery Havlat is having as everything in this thread and the article is pure speculation and B) that you're the only person that's ever had "abdominal" surgery.

I simply said considering his injury history, another surgery isn't going "cure" him...clearly I should've included the word "likely" in there.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:20 PM
  #40
WTFetus
Moderator
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Do the Sharks and yourself a favor Marty, just retire.
Because losing 11 million is doing himself a favor.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:22 PM
  #41
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
For the record since a few don't know... a sports hernia is not like a typical hernia. It's actually a misnomer.. meaning it's not a hernia at all. It's basically a severely torn or damaged groin or abductor tendon. The incision is just below your junk on the inside of your upper thigh. My personal experience was about 4 or 5 months recovery as a 40 years old.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:24 PM
  #42
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
And you have no idea what you're talking about period...it's great you A) assume you know what surgery Havlat is having as everything in this thread and the article is pure speculation and B) that you're the only person that's ever had "abdominal" surgery.

I simply said considering his injury history, another surgery isn't going "cure" him...clearly I should've included the word "likely" in there.
The problem here is that some of you don't realize just how much I actually know and speak from extensive experience. It's not abdominal surgery... And it likely can "cure" what has bothered him the last couple seasons. It's more than likely that it's just a re injury from his fall over the boards...

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:25 PM
  #43
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Hertl is already penciled in and DW didn't think he needs AHL time.
How do you know this?

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:26 PM
  #44
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
The problem here is that some of you don't realize just how much I actually know and speak from extensive experience. It's not abdominal surgery... And it likely can "cure" what has bothered him the last couple seasons. It's more than likely that it's just a re injury from his fall over the boards...
That's great.

The real problem is this is all stemming from an article that states "sources' told someone that Havlat will have abdominal surgery this offseason...I didn't make any mistake about hernia, non hernia, sports - you just assumed I did.

And his fall over the boards tore his hamstring.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:26 PM
  #45
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Sports hernia? Isn't that what burns played through last year? He was terrible during that stretch, though.
I think Burns had it on both sides and both required the operation.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:29 PM
  #46
WTFetus
Moderator
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
The problem here is that some of you don't realize just how much I actually know and speak from extensive experience. It's not abdominal surgery... And it likely can "cure" what has bothered him the last couple seasons. It's more than likely that it's just a re injury from his fall over the boards...
I didn't know playing hockey means you know all about a player's health.

And it's not that people don't "realize", it's that people don't care. Simply, at this point, none of us know what type of surgery Havlat is having this off-season, so "extensive experience" means nothing.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:38 PM
  #47
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
That's great.

The real problem is this is all stemming from an article that states "sources' told someone that Havlat will have abdominal surgery this offseason...I didn't make any mistake about hernia, non hernia, sports - you just assumed I did.

And his fall over the boards tore his hamstring.
You're right, I read the other posts calling it a sports hernia and I thought it was valuable to to the discussion to define the difference between a sports hernia and a regular hernia and the benefits that a corrective surgery could provide. Regardless, your claim that surgery won't fix it isn't accurate. You just don't know and it's likely you have no experience to support that claim.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:43 PM
  #48
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
You're right, I read the other posts calling it a sports hernia and I thought it was valuable to to the discussion to define the difference between a sports hernia and a regular hernia and the benefits that a corrective surgery could provide. Regardless, your claim that surgery won't fix it isn't accurate. You just don't know and it's likely you have no experience to support that claim.
You're right, my claim is based on the fact he's had chronic groin / lower body injuries since 2001 and I assumed if there was a surgery to "cure" him he'd have had it by now...my bad.

And again you're right, I just don't know 'cus I have no idea what, if any, surgery he requires but again, good job assuming I likely have no "experience" with surgery.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:54 PM
  #49
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
You're right, I read the other posts calling it a sports hernia and I thought it was valuable to to the discussion to define the difference between a sports hernia and a regular hernia and the benefits that a corrective surgery could provide. Regardless, your claim that surgery won't fix it isn't accurate. You just don't know and it's likely you have no experience to support that claim.
Cheech had a double surgery and it didn't correct it. His full recovery from the surgery took more than 4 or 5 months.

I know it is different from a regular hernia. According to the articles I have read, it is a little longer recovery than regular because it takes longer for the bone/muscle attachment to heal than it does for muscle/muscle which is regular hernia. Full recovery on muscle/muscle is roughly 3 months. According to the articles, sports hernia surgery is far from 100% in success rate.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:13 PM
  #50
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Cheech had a double surgery and it didn't correct it. His full recovery from the surgery took more than 4 or 5 months.

I know it is different from a regular hernia. According to the articles I have read, it is a little longer recovery than regular because it takes longer for the bone/muscle attachment to heal than it does for muscle/muscle which is regular hernia. Full recovery on muscle/muscle is roughly 3 months. According to the articles, sports hernia surgery is far from 100% in success rate.
Far from 100%...? That's not accurate.. there are a ton of cases of pro players having it and being "fixed"... Yes some can't get past it but there are many contributors. Cheech had more problems and his injury was far worse than the typical. Maybe he didn't rehab it as well as he should have, I don't know. But the same guy that operated on him operated on me and said that mine was pretty much as bad as you can get probably from trying to play on it for 8 months after the injury.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.