HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Havlat pelvic surgery confirmed, ineligible for compliance buyout

Old
06-19-2013, 08:13 PM
NWShark*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Cheech had a double surgery and it didn't correct it. His full recovery from the surgery took more than 4 or 5 months.

I know it is different from a regular hernia. According to the articles I have read, it is a little longer recovery than regular because it takes longer for the bone/muscle attachment to heal than it does for muscle/muscle which is regular hernia. Full recovery on muscle/muscle is roughly 3 months. According to the articles, sports hernia surgery is far from 100% in success rate.
Burns had the double (from what I remember) and he looks healed to me...

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Burns had the double (from what I remember) and he looks healed to me...
Do you have a source for this because I haven't read anything that said it was a double.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Nice try Marty ... we're on to you

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Far from 100%...? That's not accurate.. there are a ton of cases of pro players having it and being "fixed"... Yes some can't get past it but there are many contributors. Cheech had more problems and his injury was far worse than the typical. Maybe he didn't rehab it as well as he should have, I don't know. But the same guy that operated on him operated on me and said that mine was pretty much as bad as you can get probably from trying to play on it for 8 months after the injury.
He said "success rate". Meaning not all people have successful surgery's.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:57 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Do you have a source for this because I haven't read anything that said it was a double.
That's why I qualified it. I was fairly certain that's what I read but I could be wrong.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:03 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I doubt that greatly. I would bet the main contributor to reinjury is not rehabbing completely. Rehab sucked... it was difficult and sometimes painful.

I would look at the sharks, raiders, whiners and warriors history of reinjury after sports hernia surgery. This guy works on all those teams from what I remember.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Dusk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIFBB View Post
I prefer the Old Yeller treatment to abdominal surgery.
didn't realize he had rabies. Isn't that contagious?

Dusk Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:25 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
No medical procedure is 100% but sports hernia was a bit lower than regular procedures. It is almost never diagnosed through imaging technology, it is primarily by symptomatology. I have read multiple articles on it by MDs. The treatment stems more from a well developed hypothesis than repeatedly and easily observed abnormality followed by correction (eg regular inguinal hernia). I suspect that this is the why of the lower success rate.

NW,
I followed Cheech past the time when he left the Sharks. I found no further publication of further procedures for him. Gaborik is another who has not been the same since his sports hernia procedures although he is still a very capable NHL player.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

vCash: 1185
This is a nightmare situation with Havlat.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

vCash: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIFBB View Post
I prefer the Old Yeller treatment to abdominal surgery.
Congrats Lee. You have officially made my signature with this gem right here.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:55 PM

vCash: 50
Well this is a ****ed up situation DW is in. If both Hertl and Nieto make it out of camp, it could create some interesting competition as to who plays better with Cooch and Patty...

209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:03 AM
sharski

I was happy after the trade...but havlat is somehow contributing even less than what I thought was a worst case scenario at the time

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:05 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk Soldier View Post
didn't realize he had rabies. Isn't that contagious?
THATS why they took his locker away!

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Should buy him out anyway and give him some money under the table for robot legs.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Paka Ono
Pro Ice Girl Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
First, the Sharks cannot assign him to the AHL without (NHL) cap hit.

Second, the new CBA no longer has "re-entry" waivers.
Ahhh... thanks.

And I guess we're stuck with him then. Heh

Paka Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:56 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
Should buy him out anyway and give him some money under the table for robot legs.
I see what you did there.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 05:13 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
No medical procedure is 100% but sports hernia was a bit lower than regular procedures. It is almost never diagnosed through imaging technology, it is primarily by symptomatology. I have read multiple articles on it by MDs. The treatment stems more from a well developed hypothesis than repeatedly and easily observed abnormality followed by correction (eg regular inguinal hernia). I suspect that this is the why of the lower success rate.

NW,
I followed Cheech past the time when he left the Sharks. I found no further publication of further procedures for him. Gaborik is another who has not been the same since his sports hernia procedures although he is still a very capable NHL player.
I'm pretty sure Nabby had at least 1 and possibly a double surgery and then came back for his Vezina finalist year. Same guy did the surgery.

You are somewhat correct about how it's diagnosed. The symptoms are very obvious and repeatable. The issue is the tendon actually runs from the inner thigh with connectivity all the way up to the area around the belly button. Some days my belly button felt like it was on fire other nothing. The repair had nothing to do with that part of my body though. Once they repaired the tendon in my thigh all the pain was gone.

Only a handful of surgeons perform the corrective surgery. Medical insurance paid for me to go down to Cali for the procedure. It's still a new procedure for non athletes as most primary care physicians won't or can't diagnose it as a sports hernia. They just prescribe physical therapy which only aggravated it in my case.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Leidi J

shiiiiiiit

Quote:
Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN 9m
Wilson chose not to discuss reported Havlat surgery (which could prevent potential buyout). Should know more early next week. #SJSharks

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:48 PM
rangerssharks414

Oh, jeez. I really had no feelings either way about buying out Havlat, but the flexibility of having a decision to make would have been nice. Damn.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:17 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
The LTIR will allow the team to increase their limit while he's on it. So they could spend over by the prorated amount depending on the day(s) we're discussing but once he's healthy enough to play, they will have to accommodate for whatever is remaining in his prorated amount for the rest of the season at the regular limit which normally means trading someone off or sending someone to Worcester. Considering his injury, it's unlikely that he will miss the entire season. Probably around New Year's would be my guess but there's very little information other than abdominal surgery.

I don't think buyout was ever going to be an option anyway but I doubt he stays on past his contract unless he really does something impressive when he gets healthy.
Well, technically once he's ready to come off LTIR the team doesn't have to accommodate him. The team is not allowed to reactivate him until they have the necessary cap space, but there's no requirement that a team free up cap space once a LTIR player becomes healthy. If that happens then the player just remains on LTIR.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:18 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Well, technically once he's ready to come off LTIR the team doesn't have to accommodate him. The team is not allowed to reactivate him until they have the necessary cap space, but there's no requirement that a team free up cap space once a LTIR player becomes healthy. If that happens then the player just remains on LTIR.
Isn't that only valid if the player starts the year on IR (or as a non-rostered player)? Even then I think the NR players count against the cap (but not the roster limit).

Last edited by stalockrox: 06-20-2013 at 02:53 PM.
stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
That's impossible. They're not allowed to have a player that is ready to play on LTIR. That is only applicable to being on IR, not LTIR.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:49 PM
SharksFan1

vCash: 147
Quote:
Depending how long he is out, and what the team looks like at the time this might be the best option. Although you would think we could at least trade him for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:50 PM
SharksFan1

vCash: 147
Quote:
That's impossible. They're not allowed to have a player that is ready to play on LTIR. That is only applicable to being on IR, not LTIR.
Why do you have to crush my dreams?

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 03:00 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigPAVELSKI View Post
shiiiiiiit
dont feel like trying to wrap my head around the implications. the only thing i can think of is that they were thinking buy out.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote