HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part VI: Buyout Season

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2013, 03:06 PM
  #651
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast
 
The Gloaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post


An error occured. Please try again.

The Gloaming is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:09 PM
  #652
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Yes, highlights don't tell the whole story. I'm well aware of that.

I'm just arguing that Girardi is overrated and isn't as good defensively as most here would like to believe.

In a perfect world, he wouldn't be playing 27 minutes per game, and would be on the 2nd pairing.

But let's not pretend that he doesn't have problems with losing his man in coverage. It's a big problem when your defenseman can't cover the cross-crease pass.
I've come to a conclusion.

You don't watch Rangers games.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:14 PM
  #653
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast
 
The Gloaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I've come to a conclusion.

You don't watch Rangers games.


Sorry that I'm not in love with Warrior Dan Girardi.

Go search up the GDT's. I'm done here.

The Gloaming is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:19 PM
  #654
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post


Sorry that I'm not in love with Warrior Dan Girardi.

Go search up the GDT's. I'm done here.
I'm not in love with him either. I understand he has flaws in his game, just like every other professional athlete.

I'm not foolish enough to suggest he isn't a first pairing dmen though.

GDT's are cluttered with idiotic responses, and foolish youtube highlights. Want me to listen to other people's opinions about a player, or formulate my own?

You're just one of those Girardi haters.

Still mad that he didn't step in and protect Gaborik?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:27 PM
  #655
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast
 
The Gloaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I'm not in love with him either. I understand he has flaws in his game, just like every other professional athlete.

I'm not foolish enough to suggest he isn't a first pairing dmen though.

GDT's are cluttered with idiotic responses, and foolish youtube highlights. Want me to listen to other people's opinions about a player, or formulate my own?

You're just one of those Girardi haters.

Still mad that he didn't step in and protect Gaborik?
Nope. Don't give one single crap about Gaborik/Carcillo.

Girardi playing about 22 minutes a game would make me a happy camper.

I didn't suggest trading him for a 4th round pick.

The Gloaming is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:34 PM
  #656
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
wat?

I reread this like 6 times, I still don't know what this is.
So reading comprehension is a problem then.

1. I had an opinion or a player that wasnt shared by the majority of other people, including analysts.

2. Figuring there might be something I'm missing, since I'm opinionated but not arrogant, I decided to focus on that player

3. To do so, I focused on the player to the exclusion of all else on the screen, including the puck. Iso.. As in isolating.

4. Was enlightened by what I discovered by doing so.

5. A suggestion that you do that same thing with Girardi

Okay?

Tawnos is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:34 PM
  #657
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,510
vCash: 500
I don't really get the Girardi hate tbh. Yeah he has that warrior stigma that overrates the traits of a hockey player, but he's performed at a high level in a top pairing role for 7 consecutive seasons. His advanced stats were really good against the best opposing forwards in the team. He's not like a Callahan who plays 2nd tier competition and struggled to maintain possession. He's always against the best players and puts up exceptional numbers.

Quote:
Unlike the forwards, who are all sporting solid Corsi numbers, the Rangers defense only had a couple regular defensemen that were strong Corsi players. Part of that is because only one pair (McDonagh/Girardi) were playing positive Corsi Rel QoC (not including the injured Staal), but that's not the whole story. McDonagh and Girardi unsurprisingly are facing the toughest minutes, and play them to a little better than a standstill. That has allowed some of the weaker defenders to accumulate strong Corsi numbers (Stralman, Roman Hamrlik), or simply tread water (Del Zotto, Steve Eminger). If McDonagh and Girardi weren't taking such tough minutes, it's unlikely the other Rangers defenders would have strong Corsi numbers.
There has been one thing that hasn't changed on the Rangers, a team constantly at the top tier in goal prevention and their top pairing since 2007. Dan Girardi's been paired with various defense partners and has excelled in each role. He's played with Tyutin, Roszival, Staal and McDonagh and was part of a good shutdown pair every single season. At some point, you have to think it's more than a player just being carried by better players when he's been doing it his whole career.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:37 PM
  #658
DelZottoHitTheNetJK
Registered User
 
DelZottoHitTheNetJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
You guys are beyond lame.. let's spend our entire day pissing about a player that has 0 chance of getting moved

On that note, I really like adding Briere on a 2 year deal. Guy can still play and gives up some top 6 talent without giving up any assets. Can trade at the deadline if he sucks

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:42 PM
  #659
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I don't really get the Girardi hate tbh.
The fact that you don't hate him like everyone else on our roster just shows you how delusional some people can be towards a player like Girardi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
You guys are beyond lame.. let's spend our entire day pissing about a player that has 0 chance of getting moved
It's the offseason. We're going to discuss everything.

Something we're not going to discuss though, is how Stepan isn't a second-line center in the NHL. Or how Jokinen would be our savior.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:42 PM
  #660
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,607
vCash: 500
If we bring in Briere, we need to think of him as a skilled 3rd liner, nothing more. Otherwise, you guys will have a high likelihood of disappointment. If he turns out to be a top 6 player, great. But that can't be his target role.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:44 PM
  #661
NYR Viper
Registered User
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 32,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Yes, highlights don't tell the whole story. I'm well aware of that.

I'm just arguing that Girardi is overrated and isn't as good defensively as most here would like to believe.

In a perfect world, he wouldn't be playing 27 minutes per game, and would be on the 2nd pairing.

But let's not pretend that he doesn't have problems with losing his man in coverage. It's a big problem when your defenseman can't cover the cross-crease pass.
You are seeing what you want to see. You watch a 60 minute game and pick apart his 1 mistake in 26 minutes of ice time and neglect to see the rest of his play. EVERY DEFENSEMAN makes mistakes. Especially in the new NHL where defensemen can't do much.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:46 PM
  #662
Kwayry
Registered User
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
You are seeing what you want to see. You watch a 60 minute game and pick apart his 1 mistake in 26 minutes of ice time and neglect to see the rest of his play. EVERY DEFENSEMAN makes mistakes. Especially in the new NHL where defensemen can't do much.
It has a name
Quote:
Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses.[Note 1][1] People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. They also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position

Kwayry is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:50 PM
  #663
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast
 
The Gloaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
So reading comprehension is a problem then.

1. I had an opinion or a player that wasnt shared by the majority of other people, including analysts.

2. Figuring there might be something I'm missing, since I'm opinionated but not arrogant, I decided to focus on that player

3. To do so, I focused on the player to the exclusion of all else on the screen, including the puck. Iso.. As in isolating.

4. Was enlightened by what I discovered by doing so.

5. A suggestion that you do that same thing with Girardi

Okay?
Cool story!

I'll make sure to remember that when hockey's back in September.

Maybe I'll be enlightened too! Then we can share stories of our enlightenment and sing Kumbaya.

-----------

Alright. So I see that I'm alone here. Whatever. You guys go on overrating Danny G like he's some sort of defensive wizard.

The Gloaming is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:53 PM
  #664
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Can't believe people are serious with interest in Briere.

A 35 year old undersized guy who hasent played a full season in 8 years?

slipknottin is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:53 PM
  #665
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Especially in the new NHL where defensemen can't do much.
So true.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:54 PM
  #666
Kwayry
Registered User
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,971
vCash: 500
One thing that i heard from the press conference is AV saying they have enough talent for 2 solid lines. That confirms somewhat we have been discussing here.
Stepan, Nash, Hagelin, Callahan, Brass, Zuke are locks.
Kreider will get every opportunity to succeed.
That's 7 players.
Leaves 2 out of top 9, question mark about Clowe in that 3LW and the 3C, which would be Richards spot.
So those 2 decisions have been made, is how I read that.

Kwayry is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:57 PM
  #667
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Can't believe people are serious with interest in Briere.

A 35 year old undersized guy who hasent played a full season in 8 years?
Not a fan of Briere. But he'll out produce every available UFA for roughly the same cap hit. And with less games played.

When it comes to "offense", Briere is a force. Even at 35.

I'll take a 1 or 2 year flyer on him for no more than 3m...

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:57 PM
  #668
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast
 
The Gloaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
One thing that i heard from the press conference is AV saying they have enough talent for 2 solid lines. That confirms somewhat we have been discussing here.
Stepan, Nash, Hagelin, Callahan, Brass, Zuke are locks.
Kreider will get every opportunity to succeed.
That's 7 players.
Leaves 2 out of top 9, question mark about Clowe in that 3LW and the 3C, which would be Richards spot.
So those 2 decisions have been made, is how I read that.
No way can we Clowe and Richards on the third line. Overpriced third line. I'd like them to buyout Richards this summer, and not to overpay for Clowe/Clarktard/Bickell.

The Gloaming is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:59 PM
  #669
Kwayry
Registered User
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
No way can we Clowe and Richards on the third line. Overpriced third line. I'd like them to buyout Richards this summer, and not to overpay for Clowe/Clarktard/Bickell.
That's my point, I think Clowe and Richards are out based on what AV said.

Kwayry is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 04:04 PM
  #670
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Not a fan of Briere. But he'll out produce every available UFA for roughly the same cap hit. And with less games played.

When it comes to "offense", Briere is a force. Even at 35.

I'll take a 1 or 2 year flyer on him for no more than 3m...
I would bet it's more likely he misses half the season and puts up 20 points

slipknottin is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 04:14 PM
  #671
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast
 
The Gloaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
That's my point, I think Clowe and Richards are out based on what AV said.
I sure hope so. Clowe is a contract disaster waiting to happen. And we should thank the heavens that we can use a compliance buyout on Richards this summer, while he's healthy.

The Gloaming is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 04:16 PM
  #672
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
I would bet it's more likely he misses half the season and puts up 20 points
I'll take that bet.

Where in CT are ya?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 04:17 PM
  #673
DelZottoHitTheNetJK
Registered User
 
DelZottoHitTheNetJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
The fact that you don't hate him like everyone else on our roster just shows you how delusional some people can be towards a player like Girardi.



It's the offseason. We're going to discuss everything.

Something we're not going to discuss though, is how Stepan isn't a second-line center in the NHL. Or how Jokinen would be our savior.

You're obviously looking to pick fights today, which is fine.

And all my points were valid. Jokinen proved to be an excellent pickup for Pitt and Stepan had been playing terrible hockey for a very long time and went on to put up a whopping 5 points in 12 playoff games as our 1C along with his buddy Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
If we bring in Briere, we need to think of him as a skilled 3rd liner, nothing more. Otherwise, you guys will have a high likelihood of disappointment. If he turns out to be a top 6 player, great. But that can't be his target role.
I think if you bring in Briere you have to slot him on the 2nd line. If he can't hack it that's fine, but I think bringing him in to play with Pyatt/Boyle/Dorsett etc. is a mistake


Last edited by DelZottoHitTheNetJK: 06-21-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Enough with the personal attacks.....
DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 04:28 PM
  #674
nyranger61494
YNWA
 
nyranger61494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
You're obviously looking to pick fights today, which is fine.

And all my points were valid. Jokinen proved to be an excellent pickup for Pitt and Stepan had been playing terrible hockey for a very long time and went on to put up a whopping 5 points in 12 playoff games as our 1C along with his buddy Nash
Stepan was the Rangers best skater this season wire to wire IMO. I don't think he was horrible for "a very long time". Jokinen was a healthy scratch in many postseason games and scored 0 playoff goals. Stepan had 2 GWG's in the Caps series. Stepan had his struggles in the playoffs but had his moments, too. Can't say the same for Jokinen.

nyranger61494 is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 04:33 PM
  #675
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I'll take that bet.

Where in CT are ya?
Live in new britain. Work in Middletown or Hartford (depending on the week)

slipknottin is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.