HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part VI: Buyout Season

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2013, 03:33 PM
  #676
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
You're obviously looking to pick fights today, which is fine.

And all my points were valid. Jokinen proved to be an excellent pickup for Pitt and Stepan had been playing terrible hockey for a very long time and went on to put up a whopping 5 points in 12 playoff games as our 1C along with his buddy Nash



I think if you bring in Briere you have to slot him on the 2nd line. If he can't hack it that's fine, but I think bringing him in to play with Pyatt/Boyle/Dorsett etc. is a mistake
that should be our 4th line which puts Briere on the 3rd line with Kreider zucc or Hags

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:33 PM
  #677
DelZottoHitTheNetJK
Registered User
 
DelZottoHitTheNetJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Stepan was the Rangers best skater this season wire to wire IMO. I don't think he was horrible for "a very long time". Jokinen was a healthy scratch in many postseason games and scored 0 playoff goals. Stepan had 2 GWG's in the Caps series. Stepan had his struggles in the playoffs but had his moments, too. Can't say the same for Jokinen.
Jokinen was a healthy scratch because Pitt has ungodly center depth. He was a very good role/defensive player for them. He basically single-handedly beat us against Pitt. Scored the GTG with a snipe on Hank and then beat him in the shootout.

Stepan was very bad for a very long time. I brought that up at the beginning of the season. Stepan had a bad last 1/4 of the 11/12' regular season and a terrible playoffs. He was absolutely our best skater this season though, after he flipped a switch around 15 games in or so. Please don't make me post "The GIF"

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:48 PM
  #678
nyranger61494
YNWA
 
nyranger61494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
Jokinen was a healthy scratch because Pitt has ungodly center depth. He was a very good role/defensive player for them. He basically single-handedly beat us against Pitt. Scored the GTG with a snipe on Hank and then beat him in the shootout.

Stepan was very bad for a very long time. I brought that up at the beginning of the season. Stepan had a bad last 1/4 of the 11/12' regular season and a terrible playoffs. He was absolutely our best skater this season though, after he flipped a switch around 15 games in or so. Please don't make me post "The GIF"
I just disagree that a guy who can't get into the line-up can be classified as an "excellent pick up". Winning one regular season game doesn't mean that much vs playoffs.

nyranger61494 is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 04:00 PM
  #679
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 14,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
I think if you bring in Briere you have to slot him on the 2nd line. If he can't hack it that's fine, but I think bringing him in to play with Pyatt/Boyle/Dorsett etc. is a mistake
The point of bringing in Briere is to bump those guys down to the 4th line where they belong. Briere should play with Hagelin, Kreider, Zuccarello, Callahan, whatever rookie 3rd liner is up, or whatever other UFA 3rd liner we sign like Raymond. We need a legitimate 3rd line. It is the biggest thing we lacked all last season. Briere has to be part of that. I'm not sure, at all, that he's capable of more at this point in his career.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 04:05 PM
  #680
mti79
Registered User
 
mti79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Live in new britain. Work in Middletown or Hartford (depending on the week)
Fun. I'm in Newington but work in Hartford.

mti79 is online now  
Old
06-21-2013, 04:06 PM
  #681
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Jussi Jokinen again?

Stepan was bad for a long time?



Kershaw is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 04:22 PM
  #682
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 3,344
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Dan Girardi's been paired with various defense partners and has excelled in each role. He's played with Tyutin, Roszival, Staal and McDonagh and was part of a good shutdown pair every single season.
They were never paired, not even once.

BobMarleyNYR is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 04:43 PM
  #683
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 14,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
They were never paired, not even once.
I thought I remembered them being paired at times in games, but now I'm realizing that doesn't make much sense. Both RD.

Am I imagining this, or did Girardi spend significant time with Redden one season?

Tawnos is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 04:46 PM
  #684
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,294
vCash: 420
Girardi played LD when the Rangers had him, Rozsival, Ward and Rachunek. Then they traded Ward for Mara, and he went back.

Thirty One is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 04:49 PM
  #685
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 14,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Girardi played LD when the Rangers had him, Rozsival, Ward and Rachunek. Then they traded Ward for Mara, and he went back.
06-07. You look at the D on that team... and you want to throw up.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 05:09 PM
  #686
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12,140
vCash: 500
main board, sens fan wanting del zotto, offering michaelek and conacher. I myself would do that. 2 top 9 players, one top 6 lw and someone who can play 3c

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
06-21-2013, 05:16 PM
  #687
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Matt4776's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,251
vCash: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Did I say he's be a #5 defenseman on every team in the league? No. In fact, in a sucky defense like Tampa, for example, he'd be playing with Hedman on the first pairing. But if we're winning a cup, he's not going to be on any team's first pairing.
If he isn't a 1st pairing d-man, there are 60 d-men in the league better than him. Name them.

Matt4776 is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 05:30 PM
  #688
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 14,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
If he isn't a 1st pairing d-man, there are 60 d-men in the league better than him. Name them.
First of all, it's not 60 d-men. It's 30 left D.

Second of all, it really isn't that hard to name 60 better defenseman, overall.

Beauchemin, Chara, Seidenberg, Ehrhoff, Myers, Wideman, Bouwmeester, Giordano, Faulk, Gleason, Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, E. Johnson, Tyutin, J. Johnson, Nikitin, Robidas, Daley, Kronwall, Ericsson, White, Smid, Campbell, Kulikov, Voynov, Doughty, Suter, Gilbert, Subban, Markov, Weber, Volchenkov, Streit, Visnovsky, Hamonic, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Karlsson, Timonen, Coburn, Meszaros, Yandle, Ekman-Larsson, Michalek, Letang, Martin, Orpik, Boyle, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Jackman, Carle, Hedman, Bieksa, Edler, Hamhuis, Green, Carlson, Byfuglien, Enstrom

61 names. And I eliminated a bunch from my list.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 05:35 PM
  #689
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
main board, sens fan wanting del zotto, offering michaelek and conacher. I myself would do that. 2 top 9 players, one top 6 lw and someone who can play 3c
I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. Thank god the Rangers won't either.

Championship* is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 05:42 PM
  #690
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,294
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
First of all, it's not 60 d-men. It's 30 left D.

Second of all, it really isn't that hard to name 60 better defenseman, overall.

Beauchemin, Chara, Seidenberg, Ehrhoff, Myers, Wideman, Bouwmeester, Giordano, Faulk, Gleason, Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, E. Johnson, Tyutin, J. Johnson, Nikitin, Robidas, Daley, Kronwall, Ericsson, White, Smid, Campbell, Kulikov, Voynov, Doughty, Suter, Gilbert, Subban, Markov, Weber, Volchenkov, Streit, Visnovsky, Hamonic, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Karlsson, Timonen, Coburn, Meszaros, Yandle, Ekman-Larsson, Michalek, Letang, Martin, Orpik, Boyle, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Jackman, Carle, Hedman, Bieksa, Edler, Hamhuis, Green, Carlson, Byfuglien, Enstrom

61 names. And I eliminated a bunch from my list.
Markov? Robidas? Volchenkov? Jackman?

What year is it?

Thirty One is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 05:46 PM
  #691
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 14,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Markov? Robidas? Volchenkov? Jackman?

What year is it?
Of those 4, Robidas and Markov are DEFINITELY still better than DZ is. I left off other guys I consider better than Del Zotto though. Roman Josi. Andrei Sekera. Brent Burns, if he's a defenseman next year. Mark Stuart. Goligoski. And more.

My point was that it isn't hard to find 60 guys you could consider better than DZ. Caveat: that could all change if DZ takes another step in his development... which is, you know, not entirely out of the question for a 22 year old.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 05:46 PM
  #692
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I thought I remembered them being paired at times in games, but now I'm realizing that doesn't make much sense. Both RD.

Am I imagining this, or did Girardi spend significant time with Redden one season?
Yeah it was a while ago, I thought they played shifts together too.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 05:56 PM
  #693
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. Thank god the Rangers won't either.
Why not? neither Michaelek (28) or Conacher (23) are old. Michaelek plays LW which is a big hole and Conacher can be 3c or not look out of place on the wing in the top 6. for just Del zotto when we have a glutton of LHD. I'm a little concerned about Milan's injuries but aside from that, this is good for us imo

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
06-21-2013, 06:00 PM
  #694
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,294
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Of those 4, Robidas and Markov are DEFINITELY still better than DZ is. I left off other guys I consider better than Del Zotto though. Roman Josi. Andrei Sekera. Brent Burns, if he's a defenseman next year. Mark Stuart. Goligoski. And more.

My point was that it isn't hard to find 60 guys you could consider better than DZ. Caveat: that could all change if DZ takes another step in his development... which is, you know, not entirely out of the question for a 22 year old.
Robidas is hardly a top 60 defenseman in the Dallas organization alone at this point.

Though, I think you're list was crap (Ian White was a healthy scratch for half of this season....) I think there are probably at least 60 defensemen better than MDZ. But it's closer than you're giving it credit for.

Thirty One is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 06:01 PM
  #695
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing
 
Alvvays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 60,696
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Why not? neither Michaelek (28) or Conacher (23) are old. Michaelek plays LW which is a big hole and Conacher can be 3c or not look out of place on the wing in the top 6. for just Del zotto when we have a glutton of LHD. I'm a little concerned about Milan's injuries but aside from that, this is good for us imo
Conacher isn't a center, or at least not a competent one.

__________________
Alvvays is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 06:08 PM
  #696
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
main board, sens fan wanting del zotto, offering michaelek and conacher. I myself would do that. 2 top 9 players, one top 6 lw and someone who can play 3c
Would be interested in that for sure. Sens fans tend to be generous on the main boards.

Ih8theislanders is online now  
Old
06-21-2013, 06:08 PM
  #697
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 14,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Robidas is hardly a top 60 defenseman in the Dallas organization alone at this point.

Though, I think you're list was crap (Ian White was a healthy scratch for half of this season....) I think there are probably at least 60 defensemen better than MDZ. But it's closer than you're giving it credit for.
Strange that Robidas was 2nd among Dallas D in ice time/game, 1st among Dallas D in PK time/game, and drew the toughest matchups amongst Dallas D, then. At least Gulutzan disagreed with you.

Ian White was a pretty big stretch, although it would be less of a stretch to say the oft-injured Carlo Colaiacovo is above DZ, when healthy.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 06:17 PM
  #698
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,294
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Strange that Robidas was 2nd among Dallas D in ice time/game, 1st among Dallas D in PK time/game, and drew the toughest matchups amongst Dallas D, then.
I'm surprised by that. I guess it's no wonder Dallas will be picking so high this year . I really like Robidas' game as recent as two years ago, but he's not aging gracefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Ian White was a pretty big stretch, although it would be less of a stretch to say the oft-injured Carlo Colaiacovo is above DZ, when healthy.
I'd say that's quite the stretch as well. As a UFA, Colaiacovo received almost the exact contract that Del Zotto did as a RFA without arbitration rights.

Thirty One is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 06:19 PM
  #699
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
First of all, it's not 60 d-men. It's 30 left D.

Second of all, it really isn't that hard to name 60 better defenseman, overall.

Beauchemin, Chara, Seidenberg, Ehrhoff, Myers, Wideman, Bouwmeester, Giordano, Faulk, Gleason, Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, E. Johnson, Tyutin, J. Johnson, Nikitin, Robidas, Daley, Kronwall, Ericsson, White, Smid, Campbell, Kulikov, Voynov, Doughty, Suter, Gilbert, Subban, Markov, Weber, Volchenkov, Streit, Visnovsky, Hamonic, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Karlsson, Timonen, Coburn, Meszaros, Yandle, Ekman-Larsson, Michalek, Letang, Martin, Orpik, Boyle, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Jackman, Carle, Hedman, Bieksa, Edler, Hamhuis, Green, Carlson, Byfuglien, Enstrom

61 names. And I eliminated a bunch from my list.
Pretty awful list.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 06:26 PM
  #700
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 397
I'd like to see Briere on our 3rd line. I think he would be a good pick up depending on how much he wants.

Oak is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.