HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part VI: Buyout Season

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Lundsanity30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
You're obviously looking to pick fights today, which is fine.

And all my points were valid. Jokinen proved to be an excellent pickup for Pitt and Stepan had been playing terrible hockey for a very long time and went on to put up a whopping 5 points in 12 playoff games as our 1C along with his buddy Nash

I think if you bring in Briere you have to slot him on the 2nd line. If he can't hack it that's fine, but I think bringing him in to play with Pyatt/Boyle/Dorsett etc. is a mistake
that should be our 4th line which puts Briere on the 3rd line with Kreider zucc or Hags

Old
06-21-2013, 03:33 PM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Stepan was the Rangers best skater this season wire to wire IMO. I don't think he was horrible for "a very long time". Jokinen was a healthy scratch in many postseason games and scored 0 playoff goals. Stepan had 2 GWG's in the Caps series. Stepan had his struggles in the playoffs but had his moments, too. Can't say the same for Jokinen.
Jokinen was a healthy scratch because Pitt has ungodly center depth. He was a very good role/defensive player for them. He basically single-handedly beat us against Pitt. Scored the GTG with a snipe on Hank and then beat him in the shootout.

Stepan was very bad for a very long time. I brought that up at the beginning of the season. Stepan had a bad last 1/4 of the 11/12' regular season and a terrible playoffs. He was absolutely our best skater this season though, after he flipped a switch around 15 games in or so. Please don't make me post "The GIF"

Old
06-21-2013, 03:48 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Jokinen was a healthy scratch because Pitt has ungodly center depth. He was a very good role/defensive player for them. He basically single-handedly beat us against Pitt. Scored the GTG with a snipe on Hank and then beat him in the shootout.

Stepan was very bad for a very long time. I brought that up at the beginning of the season. Stepan had a bad last 1/4 of the 11/12' regular season and a terrible playoffs. He was absolutely our best skater this season though, after he flipped a switch around 15 games in or so. Please don't make me post "The GIF"
I just disagree that a guy who can't get into the line-up can be classified as an "excellent pick up". Winning one regular season game doesn't mean that much vs playoffs.

Old
06-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
I think if you bring in Briere you have to slot him on the 2nd line. If he can't hack it that's fine, but I think bringing him in to play with Pyatt/Boyle/Dorsett etc. is a mistake
The point of bringing in Briere is to bump those guys down to the 4th line where they belong. Briere should play with Hagelin, Kreider, Zuccarello, Callahan, whatever rookie 3rd liner is up, or whatever other UFA 3rd liner we sign like Raymond. We need a legitimate 3rd line. It is the biggest thing we lacked all last season. Briere has to be part of that. I'm not sure, at all, that he's capable of more at this point in his career.

Old
06-21-2013, 04:05 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Live in new britain. Work in Middletown or Hartford (depending on the week)
Fun. I'm in Newington but work in Hartford.

Old
06-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Kershaw

Jussi Jokinen again?

Stepan was bad for a long time?

Old
06-21-2013, 04:22 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Dan Girardi's been paired with various defense partners and has excelled in each role. He's played with Tyutin, Roszival, Staal and McDonagh and was part of a good shutdown pair every single season.
They were never paired, not even once.

Old
06-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
They were never paired, not even once.
I thought I remembered them being paired at times in games, but now I'm realizing that doesn't make much sense. Both RD.

Am I imagining this, or did Girardi spend significant time with Redden one season?

Old
06-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Girardi played LD when the Rangers had him, Rozsival, Ward and Rachunek. Then they traded Ward for Mara, and he went back.

Old
06-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Girardi played LD when the Rangers had him, Rozsival, Ward and Rachunek. Then they traded Ward for Mara, and he went back.
06-07. You look at the D on that team... and you want to throw up.

Old
06-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Lundsanity30

main board, sens fan wanting del zotto, offering michaelek and conacher. I myself would do that. 2 top 9 players, one top 6 lw and someone who can play 3c

Old
06-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Did I say he's be a #5 defenseman on every team in the league? No. In fact, in a sucky defense like Tampa, for example, he'd be playing with Hedman on the first pairing. But if we're winning a cup, he's not going to be on any team's first pairing.
If he isn't a 1st pairing d-man, there are 60 d-men in the league better than him. Name them.

Old
06-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
If he isn't a 1st pairing d-man, there are 60 d-men in the league better than him. Name them.
First of all, it's not 60 d-men. It's 30 left D.

Second of all, it really isn't that hard to name 60 better defenseman, overall.

Beauchemin, Chara, Seidenberg, Ehrhoff, Myers, Wideman, Bouwmeester, Giordano, Faulk, Gleason, Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, E. Johnson, Tyutin, J. Johnson, Nikitin, Robidas, Daley, Kronwall, Ericsson, White, Smid, Campbell, Kulikov, Voynov, Doughty, Suter, Gilbert, Subban, Markov, Weber, Volchenkov, Streit, Visnovsky, Hamonic, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Karlsson, Timonen, Coburn, Meszaros, Yandle, Ekman-Larsson, Michalek, Letang, Martin, Orpik, Boyle, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Jackman, Carle, Hedman, Bieksa, Edler, Hamhuis, Green, Carlson, Byfuglien, Enstrom

61 names. And I eliminated a bunch from my list.

Old
06-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
main board, sens fan wanting del zotto, offering michaelek and conacher. I myself would do that. 2 top 9 players, one top 6 lw and someone who can play 3c
I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. Thank god the Rangers won't either.

Old
06-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

Beauchemin, Chara, Seidenberg, Ehrhoff, Myers, Wideman, Bouwmeester, Giordano, Faulk, Gleason, Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, E. Johnson, Tyutin, J. Johnson, Nikitin, Robidas, Daley, Kronwall, Ericsson, White, Smid, Campbell, Kulikov, Voynov, Doughty, Suter, Gilbert, Subban, Markov, Weber, Volchenkov, Streit, Visnovsky, Hamonic, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Karlsson, Timonen, Coburn, Meszaros, Yandle, Ekman-Larsson, Michalek, Letang, Martin, Orpik, Boyle, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Jackman, Carle, Hedman, Bieksa, Edler, Hamhuis, Green, Carlson, Byfuglien, Enstrom

Markov? Robidas? Volchenkov? Jackman?

What year is it?

Old
06-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Markov? Robidas? Volchenkov? Jackman?

What year is it?
Of those 4, Robidas and Markov are DEFINITELY still better than DZ is. I left off other guys I consider better than Del Zotto though. Roman Josi. Andrei Sekera. Brent Burns, if he's a defenseman next year. Mark Stuart. Goligoski. And more.

My point was that it isn't hard to find 60 guys you could consider better than DZ. Caveat: that could all change if DZ takes another step in his development... which is, you know, not entirely out of the question for a 22 year old.

Old
06-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
I thought I remembered them being paired at times in games, but now I'm realizing that doesn't make much sense. Both RD.

Am I imagining this, or did Girardi spend significant time with Redden one season?
Yeah it was a while ago, I thought they played shifts together too.

Old
06-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. Thank god the Rangers won't either.
Why not? neither Michaelek (28) or Conacher (23) are old. Michaelek plays LW which is a big hole and Conacher can be 3c or not look out of place on the wing in the top 6. for just Del zotto when we have a glutton of LHD. I'm a little concerned about Milan's injuries but aside from that, this is good for us imo

Old
06-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Of those 4, Robidas and Markov are DEFINITELY still better than DZ is. I left off other guys I consider better than Del Zotto though. Roman Josi. Andrei Sekera. Brent Burns, if he's a defenseman next year. Mark Stuart. Goligoski. And more.

My point was that it isn't hard to find 60 guys you could consider better than DZ. Caveat: that could all change if DZ takes another step in his development... which is, you know, not entirely out of the question for a 22 year old.
Robidas is hardly a top 60 defenseman in the Dallas organization alone at this point.

Though, I think you're list was crap (Ian White was a healthy scratch for half of this season....) I think there are probably at least 60 defensemen better than MDZ. But it's closer than you're giving it credit for.

Old
06-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Why not? neither Michaelek (28) or Conacher (23) are old. Michaelek plays LW which is a big hole and Conacher can be 3c or not look out of place on the wing in the top 6. for just Del zotto when we have a glutton of LHD. I'm a little concerned about Milan's injuries but aside from that, this is good for us imo
Conacher isn't a center, or at least not a competent one.

06-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Would be interested in that for sure. Sens fans tend to be generous on the main boards.

Old
06-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Robidas is hardly a top 60 defenseman in the Dallas organization alone at this point.

Though, I think you're list was crap (Ian White was a healthy scratch for half of this season....) I think there are probably at least 60 defensemen better than MDZ. But it's closer than you're giving it credit for.
Strange that Robidas was 2nd among Dallas D in ice time/game, 1st among Dallas D in PK time/game, and drew the toughest matchups amongst Dallas D, then. At least Gulutzan disagreed with you.

Ian White was a pretty big stretch, although it would be less of a stretch to say the oft-injured Carlo Colaiacovo is above DZ, when healthy.

Old
06-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Strange that Robidas was 2nd among Dallas D in ice time/game, 1st among Dallas D in PK time/game, and drew the toughest matchups amongst Dallas D, then.
I'm surprised by that. I guess it's no wonder Dallas will be picking so high this year . I really like Robidas' game as recent as two years ago, but he's not aging gracefully.

Quote:
Ian White was a pretty big stretch, although it would be less of a stretch to say the oft-injured Carlo Colaiacovo is above DZ, when healthy.
I'd say that's quite the stretch as well. As a UFA, Colaiacovo received almost the exact contract that Del Zotto did as a RFA without arbitration rights.

Old
06-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Kershaw

Quote:

Pretty awful list.

Old
06-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur

vCash: 397
I'd like to see Briere on our 3rd line. I think he would be a good pick up depending on how much he wants.

Closed Thread