HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto interested in Bernier.

View Poll Results: Is getting Bernier a good idea?
Yes! He will be the star of the future! 64 30.77%
No! Reimer is our #1 and Bernier is not worth the headache. 144 69.23%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Paradoc
Mitch Marner :)

vCash: 80
@CraigCustance 4m
Craig MacTavish said teams right now more willing to shop 2nd-round picks in draft rather than 1st. Called them the currency of choice.

If this is true then it has to be the 2nd round pick that going to LA because we all know Nonis history of dealing 2nd round picks in the past.

Old
06-19-2013, 05:26 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

vCash: 500
Reimer
Bernier

Sounds good
Frattin plus a 2nd is fine

Old
06-19-2013, 05:29 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

I like Frattin, and think he has some potential, but I think him plus our 2nd pick is a fair gamble for Bernier.

You then have two goalies who are the same age and can battle for the #1 spot. Also an issue of what can you sign him for. Dont even know what is a fair deal for either side. Likely short term.

Old
06-19-2013, 05:35 PM
apadilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
+2

Avoid moving our 1st and I'm all for the deal. I'm fine with: Frattin + 2nd/Scrivens/Ashton/Colborne
how about Frattin + Brad Ross? Kings might be good to go with this,

Old
06-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Divine
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Bernier hasnt shown the ability to be better then Reimer. He has LESS NHL experience, and a worse sv%, on a team many consider one of the defensive elite of the league.

I also dont get your "win now league comment". Teams go through cycles and develop. Hell, the reason Bernier is being shopped is because Quick stole his job. He developed with the other young players on the team.
You have to play games to get experience, when we got Reimer, he has less games than Giguere. With the worst save % comment, he had a better save % than Quick on the same team, outplayed him by quite a bit, doesn't necessarily mean we're getting a better goalie than Quick. Win now comment is suggesting if Bernier plays decent, good rebound control & puck management - let him start, let Reimer develop, or vice-versa if it goes the other way. I'd love to have goaltending as a position of strength.

Old
06-19-2013, 05:51 PM
PuckMagi

vCash: 50
i want to keep frattin. i think he's a great winger. i wouldn't do this deal.

if it was our 2nd + Ashton or something like that, it'd do it. frattin is a beast with mad skillz and no cap hit... i think we're gonna really regret this deal (if it happens) when frattin is scoring 30+ goals this season for another team (assuming he plays in the top 6).

Old
06-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Federko

How do fellow Leafers feel about signing someone like Niklas Backstrom whom is set to become a UFA on July 5th as oppose to Bernier? Bring in a Vet who still somewhat has it. I think Backstrom backing up Reimer would be a great tandem....

thoughts?

Old
06-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
How do fellow Leafers feel about signing someone like Niklas Backstrom whom is set to become a UFA on July 5th as oppose to Bernier? Bring in a Vet who still somewhat has it. I think Backstrom backing up Reimer would be a great tandem....

thoughts?
I'd rather have Bernier. I like the price point of Frattin+prospect/pick. I feel that's a very reasonable price to ensure quality goaltending over the long term. I feel at that price we are buying into a bear goaltending market

Old
06-19-2013, 06:04 PM
AlbertaLeafFan31

Frattin + Holzer. Holzer could be Scuderi replacement whose cheap so they could sign another guy. Sweeten it throw in a 4th

Old
06-19-2013, 06:08 PM
PuckMagi

vCash: 50
i don't really think we need to sign another goalie. i liked scrivins last year. he put up pretty good numbers, espeically considering the fact that the team played like crap in front of him for a few of his games.

also... if we trade frattin and our second pick.... that means that we can't offer those players in a deal for a centre, winger or defender.

so while it doesn't seem like that bad of a trade proposal... it leaves us with fewer assets to trade for a player in a position that we really need.

Old
06-19-2013, 06:12 PM
darrylsittler27

Leafs are interested in every player in the NHL.

Must be summer. First we want a vet to help Reimer grow. Now we want a non vet and to overpay. Meh,get a vet if you must.

Old
06-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Diatomic
Naz is a bad bad boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckMagi View Post
i don't really think we need to sign another goalie. i liked scrivins last year. he put up pretty good numbers, espeically considering the fact that the team played like crap in front of him for a few of his games.

also... if we trade frattin and our second pick.... that means that we can't offer those players in a deal for a centre, winger or defender.

so while it doesn't seem like that bad of a trade proposal... it leaves us with fewer assets to trade for a player in a position that we really need.
Exactly. Whats the point of having 2 starting goalies anyways, were going to be like Vancouver.

We can sign a cheap vet for FREE, we don't need to trade away Frattin (He has potential to be a 25g-25a scorer) and a 2nd round pick.

Old
06-19-2013, 06:23 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post

thoughts?
100% better.

Old
06-19-2013, 06:31 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckMagi View Post
i want to keep frattin. i think he's a great winger. i wouldn't do this deal.

if it was our 2nd + Ashton or something like that, it'd do it. frattin is a beast with mad skillz and no cap hit... i think we're gonna really regret this deal (if it happens) when frattin is scoring 30+ goals this season for another team (assuming he plays in the top 6).
frattin is behind kessel, lupul, jvr, and kulemin in terms of winger depth. i agree that he is good but we will need to give something up of value. frattin can contribute right away for LA which is why he has value. in contrast ashton is a question mark.

bernier might be unproven but he has pedigree. even more so then reimer and definitely more then any other goalie in our system. having 2 goalies with upside under 25 is not a bad thing. if reimer doesnt pan out then we will struggle to find a goalie- see: raycroft, toskala, the monster, giguere.

you need to acquire pieces as they become available. i agree that reimer looks promising and i am ok going forward with him but we have no insurance. frattin and a 2nd for a young goalie with starter upside is a small price to pay imo.

Old
06-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Tank Commander
Perennial Letdown

vCash: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81inblueandwhite View Post
i'd rather go after a veterin backup..tim thomas..ray emery
Yes,please. Crazy and all.

Old
06-19-2013, 06:54 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
Exactly. Whats the point of having 2 starting goalies anyways, were going to be like Vancouver.

We can sign a cheap vet for FREE, we don't need to trade away Frattin (He has potential to be a 25g-25a scorer) and a 2nd round pick.
Not even comparable. We don't have a goalie our fans hate on a lifetime contract.

Reimer has injury problems and while the playoff loss wasn't his fault, a stronger goalie could have won any of our losses other than game 1.

I'd definitely take Bernier but it would depend on the price. Frattin + a 2nd is around the highest I think we should pay; any more and we pass, if LA offers any less, we take it.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:07 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post

there's a reason those vets are going to be "free" to sign, theyre going to command somewhere around 2-5 million depending on the team and the player.

there is zero reason to sign someone for that amount of money knowing they are going to play second fiddle and reliever to reimer.

i would trade for bernier as soon as I can, on top of that, I would draft a high round goalie. I even like the idea of drafting Fucale and watch the crop grow and compete amongst one another.

I love the idea of having Reimer, Bernier, Scrivens, Sparks and Fucale in the mix. Its a position of strength that is sorely needed.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:31 PM
WestCoastLeafs
Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
In 2012-13 season

Reimer .. 995 total shots against in 33 games = 30.2 shots per game.
30.2 minutes per game that he at least played a part of.

Based on minutes played (1856), it's about 32 shots per full game.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Jerkini

Bernier is Vesa Toskala all over again. I want the guy who's going to supplant Jonathan Quick. Not the guy who isn't good enough to do that.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:07 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Bernier is Vesa Toskala all over again. I want the guy who's going to supplant Jonathan Quick. Not the guy who isn't good enough to do that.
I think there is a difference this time. Going into next season we know that Reimer will be the Leafs #1 Goalie, so Bernier wouldn't be competing for that position. When the Leafs got Vesa Toskala it was because they didn't have enough faith in Andrew Raycroft.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Tommy Torini
Hell of a thing baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
there's a reason those vets are going to be "free" to sign, theyre going to command somewhere around 2-5 million depending on the team and the player.

there is zero reason to sign someone for that amount of money knowing they are going to play second fiddle and reliever to reimer.

i would trade for bernier as soon as I can, on top of that, I would draft a high round goalie. I even like the idea of drafting Fucale and watch the crop grow and compete amongst one another.

I love the idea of having Reimer, Bernier, Scrivens, Sparks and Fucale in the mix. Its a position of strength that is sorely needed.
We literally just did that with our goalies, what you suggested I mean. We had a crop of young, potentially good goalies with Reimer, Gustavvson, Scrivens, and Rynnas, and we let them all battle it out in the AHL and NHL to see who would emerge, and Reimer won.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:12 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Here is something else to consider that would make it a positive trading for Bernier. It would officially end all trade talk of Roberto Luongo coming to Toronto, because then the Leafs would have no reason to need him and it means one less team for Mike Gillis and the Canucks to deal with.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Tommy Torini
Hell of a thing baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Here is something else to consider that would make it a positive trading for Bernier. It would officially end all trade talk of Roberto Luongo coming to Toronto, because then the Leafs would have no reason to need him and it means one less team for Mike Gillis and the Canucks to deal with.
We've been out of it for a while now. Searching for Toronto to pop up in Luongo threads or rumours doesn't yield many results as it did last summer.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:22 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
We've been out of it for a while now. Searching for Toronto to pop up in Luongo threads or rumours doesn't yield many results as it did last summer.
Still there was that talk after the Leafs got eliminated that Nonis might think about Luongo and with Nonis connection to him it might be brought up again around the draft if nothing happens by then with Bernier. So the way I see it adding Bernier will officially 100% end the Luongo to Toronto talk.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:16 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Goaltender should be 3rd or 4th on the Leafs priority list. If we're going to be dishing out assets , a #1 center and/or a top 4 defeceman is the way to go. I think Reimer proved to be a worthy starter with the season he had..

Closed Thread