HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Canadiens Draft Preview

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-15-2013, 07:19 PM
  #1
ForeverHabs97
Registered User
 
ForeverHabs97's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Montreal Canadiens Draft Preview

If you haven't seen it already ;

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-draft-preview

EDIT: FYI I did not write this.


Last edited by ForeverHabs97: 06-15-2013 at 10:13 PM.
ForeverHabs97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 07:30 PM
  #2
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 14,328
vCash: 500
Need more Grobonomes

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:20 PM
  #3
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,312
vCash: 500
Poorly written with all those errors.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:41 PM
  #4
25get
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,759
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverHabs97 View Post
Unless we trade up, Morin won't be available at 25th. Neither Gauthier of course.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:45 PM
  #5
Habitant le colon
Registered User
 
Habitant le colon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Fucale ! we need a goalie!

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:47 PM
  #6
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Two paragraphs on one player we might/should take in the first doesn't really constitute a 'draft preview'. Is there more to come here?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:29 PM
  #7
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,402
vCash: 500
Morin at 25 nice pick!

"Other players considered by the Canadiens: Bo Horvat, Frederick Gauthier, Kerby Rychel, Ian McCoshen, Shea Theodore, and Josh Morrissey."

Does "considered" mean they were available?

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:13 PM
  #8
ForeverHabs97
Registered User
 
ForeverHabs97's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
FYI I didn't write this...

ForeverHabs97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:17 PM
  #9
ForeverHabs97
Registered User
 
ForeverHabs97's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
Morin at 25 nice pick!

"Other players considered by the Canadiens: Bo Horvat, Frederick Gauthier, Kerby Rychel, Ian McCoshen, Shea Theodore, and Josh Morrissey."

Does "considered" mean they were available?
I think it means that if we were to trade up in the draft, we may draft them because they fit our prospect pool's needs.

ForeverHabs97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:27 PM
  #10
Aceekay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Yellowknife
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
Fucale ! we need a goalie!
no.

we have plenty of areas of weakness that should be filled through the draft. goaltending isn't one of them, I wouldn't be opposed to picking a goalie later, but no way would i pick a goalie in the first round.

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:44 PM
  #11
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Habs will gun for this guy...book it .

Jordan Subban

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:55 PM
  #12
TT1
Registered User
 
TT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,065
vCash: 500
"Max Pacioretty, David Desharnais, and Travis Moen will need to have bounce back years."
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=99420

????????????????

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:01 PM
  #13
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
"Max Pacioretty, David Desharnais, and Travis Moen will need to have bounce back years."
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=99420

????????????????
You actually didn't watch games right ?

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:19 PM
  #14
25get
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,759
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You actually didn't watch games right ?
MaxPac had a pace of 73 points and is our best scorer two years in a row.
This despite Desharnais had a slow year and Cole underperforming big time.

BTW, JVR, Gagner, Voracek, Perron, Simmonds best season is 50 points or less.
Jamie Been best season was 63 points and Couture best season was 65 points.
Basically, the only player of the 2007 draft who outpaced Pacioretty in the ;ast two seasons is Kane!

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:23 PM
  #15
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
MaxPac had a pace of 73 points and is our best scorer two years in a row.
This despite Desharnais had a slow year and Cole underperforming big time.

BTW, JVR, Gagner, Voracek, Perron, Simmonds best season is 50 points or less.
Jamie Been best season was 63 points and Couture best season was 65 points.
Basically, the only player of the 2007 draft who outpaced Pacioretty in the ;ast two seasons is Kane!
So the only way to judge a power forwards play is by comparing him to fellow draftees ?

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:06 AM
  #16
25get
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,759
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
So the only way to judge a power forwards play is by comparing him to fellow draftees ?
I did not say that it was the only way but production of points is way to measure.
Two years in a row, he is our best scorer.
At the same time, he is not so great at defense and does not get PK time.
Still has only blocked one shot less than Plekanec (who went for first to 9th in BKS).

I was saying that despite his problems (mostly the beginning of the season) and his under performing linemates he ended up putting even better numbers than the previous season.
The previous year, we could have tought that his performance was due to Desharnais and Cole but this is not longer the fact.

I do agree that he did performed less this season but surprisingly the numbers are better.
Part of the reason was his PPP (bigger pace this season).

As for comparing him with other draftees of 2007, well it is a tribute to the fact that TT did draft very well.
But he would not do so good compared to picks in 2006 and 2008.

But I understand your point.
You are saying that he did not perform well and you want to defend this point.
I am saying that he outperformed his linemates even more than the previous season.

We seem to agree on one point: He should do even better next season.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:59 AM
  #17
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff
 
David Thicke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Two paragraphs on one player we might/should take in the first doesn't really constitute a 'draft preview'. Is there more to come here?
If you don't like the article's format take it up with the Managing editor Ken not here. You are a moderator for HF's forums.

Second, you might want to try reading it again and maybe you will understand it better now. I only have so much space not pages and I can't give my full opinion. Seriously, who has a crystal ball to pick exactly which player will go at what number for the 2013 NHL draft. Nobody knows which players will fall or rise. If you do then go work for Bergevin because he's going to need your help.

My pick of Samuel Morin was in the "HF Staff Mock draft" like it states in the article. I can't trade up and have to wait my turn then choose who I think the Canadiens will target given what players are still available. I was lucky enough to find Morin available so I thought it was a no brainer to take him. I believe that if he's there on draft day and he could be, who knows, then the Habs will select him because I am sure the teams after them definitely will. He's not falling out of the 1st round.

Thanks for at least reading the article and making comments. It is appreciated but knock an article without knowing all the facts. Thanks!

David Thicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:08 AM
  #18
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,306
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
So the only way to judge a power forwards play is by comparing him to fellow draftees ?
Pacioretty is more 'sniper with size and some grit' than 'power forward'. Expecting him to be something he isn't is setting up oneself for disappointment.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:22 AM
  #19
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff
 
David Thicke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
MaxPac had a pace of 73 points and is our best scorer two years in a row.
This despite Desharnais had a slow year and Cole underperforming big time.

BTW, JVR, Gagner, Voracek, Perron, Simmonds best season is 50 points or less.
Jamie Been best season was 63 points and Couture best season was 65 points.
Basically, the only player of the 2007 draft who outpaced Pacioretty in the ;ast two seasons is Kane!
As for my statement concerning, Pacioretty. He needs to be less of a perimeter player with his size and speed. He didn't drive the net like the smaller Gallagher and disappeared in some games when last season he was one of the Canadiens' best forwards. Stop looking at stats and look at what a player is actually playing like compared to the previous year not the numbers. It was a shortened season so you don't know if he would have stayed at the same pace, better or even worse. I am not a stats lover because it never tells the whole story. Ex. The puck hits Max's shin pad and goes in against Anderson in the playoffs, so he scored a goal but did absolutely nothing to get that goal. The guy who shot it actually did everything ( I don't remember who). I know he was hurt but if he's in the line-up then perform to your best or let someone who is fully healthy take your place. No excuses is the right attitude for the Habs after the terrible 2012-13 season.

If you go back and look at where Pacioretty was shooting from most of the time then you will see that a good portion of his shots came from the left dot of the face-off circle. The opposition's defensemen could actually just wait for him to move to the outside and then turn to pressure him and Max would most of the time just shoot from that bad angle. As a forward, you have to try and get to the middle of the ice in the opposition's zone and make life difficult for them. He just wasn't consistent enough compare to the previous season. He needs to be more of a net front presence with his size, screening the goalie, getting deflections and cause havoc for the defensemen and goalie. He can be better and he will be.

Thanks for reading the article and making your comments!

David Thicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:19 AM
  #20
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
Fucale ! we need a goalie!
I just threw up in my mouth......

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:23 AM
  #21
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Habs will gun for this guy...book it .

Jordan Subban
Maybe in the 3rd round.

Article was condense and to the point. Those articles that are 2 pages long with a bunch of filler are the truly terrible articles. They reiterate the same thing over and over again in different wording.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:14 AM
  #22
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
As for my statement concerning, Pacioretty. He needs to be less of a perimeter player with his size and speed. He didn't drive the net like the smaller Gallagher and disappeared in some games when last season he was one of the Canadiens' best forwards. Stop looking at stats and look at what a player is actually playing like compared to the previous year not the numbers. It was a shortened season so you don't know if he would have stayed at the same pace, better or even worse. I am not a stats lover because it never tells the whole story. Ex. The puck hits Max's shin pad and goes in against Anderson in the playoffs, so he scored a goal but did absolutely nothing to get that goal. The guy who shot it actually did everything ( I don't remember who). I know he was hurt but if he's in the line-up then perform to your best or let someone who is fully healthy take your place. No excuses is the right attitude for the Habs after the terrible 2012-13 season.

If you go back and look at where Pacioretty was shooting from most of the time then you will see that a good portion of his shots came from the left dot of the face-off circle. The opposition's defensemen could actually just wait for him to move to the outside and then turn to pressure him and Max would most of the time just shoot from that bad angle. As a forward, you have to try and get to the middle of the ice in the opposition's zone and make life difficult for them. He just wasn't consistent enough compare to the previous season. He needs to be more of a net front presence with his size, screening the goalie, getting deflections and cause havoc for the defensemen and goalie. He can be better and he will be.

Thanks for reading the article and making your comments!

You say he didn't drive the net and then reference a goal that bounced in off his shin-pad? I'm assuming he was around the net, no? Or did it bounce of his shin-pad from the point?

Patches does go to the net, but he's not the proto-typical power-forward everyone is clamoring for. He was pretty much the same patches, who has a tendency to float from time to time, but still puts up good numbers. Patches was fine.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:56 AM
  #23
MooseOllini
BobBarker
 
MooseOllini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
I agree with the article about Patches. You could easily see the difference between last year and this year. I watched every single game and his total goal and points don't really indicated how he performed. I'm not trying to be the bad hockey fan here but Patches needs to crank it up for next year. He was often behind by a little on most plays, out of place and in perimeter. I know he's more a big forward with a good shot than the typical powerforward, but even there he did not use that shot.

I won't start on Desharnais or Moen... I mean their grandmother know they had a bad year.

MooseOllini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 11:16 AM
  #24
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
If you don't like the article's format take it up with the Managing editor Ken not here. You are a moderator for HF's forums.
Your 'draft preview' consisted mostly of giving us a recap of last season with very little info on possible players available in the later positions.

Quote:
Second, you might want to try reading it again and maybe you will understand it better now. I only have so much space not pages and I can't give my full opinion. Seriously, who has a crystal ball to pick exactly which player will go at what number for the 2013 NHL draft. Nobody knows which players will fall or rise. If you do then go work for Bergevin because he's going to need your help.
So why bother with a draft preview article at all then? Maybe you could give us your full opinion if you didn't spend more than half of your article talking about last season?

Quote:
Thanks for at least reading the article and making comments. It is appreciated but knock an article without knowing all the facts. Thanks!
... but mocking a loyal HF moderater/user for taking an issue with your article , is really taking the high road. Gotcha.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:25 PM
  #25
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff
 
David Thicke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Your 'draft preview' consisted mostly of giving us a recap of last season with very little info on possible players available in the later positions.



So why bother with a draft preview article at all then? Maybe you could give us your full opinion if you didn't spend more than half of your article talking about last season?



... but mocking a loyal HF moderater/user for taking an issue with your article , is really taking the high road. Gotcha.
If you don't look at what happen last season then how would you even know what the Canadiens are going to try and do at the draft. It's what the needs are of the team that decides what their plan might be.

He's a moderator on HF's forums, don't you think he should have just ask the Managing editor about the format or even better give his expert opinion of what should be in the Draft preview instead just knocking the article. Make any sense?

David Thicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.