HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 12.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2013, 02:48 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
At the same age he is ahead of where Subban was. He has huge potential. that's what you have with prospects POTENTIAL, part 2 is maxing it out.
Exactly, and in my opinion, Beaulieu has nowhere near the mental tools that Subban does to max out his potential. That's what separates a Norris winning defenseman from a good defenseman, and it's what I think the difference between Subban and Beaulieu will prove to be.

Old
06-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Exactly, and in my opinion, Beaulieu has nowhere near the mental tools that Subban does to max out his potential. That's what separates a Norris winning defenseman from a good defenseman, and it's what I think the difference between Subban and Beaulieu will prove to be.
Not sure what you mean by "mental tools", Beaulieu has more hockey sense than Subban.

Subban did work very hard, but he also gained a ton of maturity the last 3-4 years, Beaulieu is and will have to keep doing the same.

Old
06-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "mental tools", Beaulieu has more hockey sense than Subban.

Subban did work very hard, but he also gained a ton of maturity the last 3-4 years, Beaulieu is and will have to keep doing the same.
Beaulieu doesn't play with anywhere near the intensity that Subban does, plus he seems to have a hard time focusing at times.

I am a big fan of Beaulieu, but you have to admit it. If you don't see that, maybe you need to watch him play a few more times.

Old
06-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
Beaulieu doesn't play with anywhere near the intensity that Subban does, plus he seems to have a hard time focusing at times.

I am a big fan of Beaulieu, but you have to admit it. If you don't see that, maybe you need to watch him play a few more times.
You're comparing Subban in his prime to a kid that just turned 20 though. Beaulieu in junior played with a lot more of a feisty edge than what we saw in Montreal, but he was there playing insulated ice time in a short trial, just getting his feet wet. His frame also needs filling out to play that game in the pros vs QMJHL.

Old
06-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Shutdown

So how about that draft, eh?

Old
06-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Hullois

Quote:

I would say Beaulieu has more vision than Subban, but Subban has more hockey sense (you have to be really good at reading the play to go end to end like he can do it, or to be that efficient in your own zone)

Old
06-20-2013, 03:23 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
I would say Beaulieu has more vision than Subban, but Subban has more hockey sense (you have to be really good at reading the play to go end to end like he can do it, or to be that efficient in your own zone)
Beaulieu didn't have the advantages of playing and working out with one John Tavares either. Subban and Tavares are two very driven individuals, there aren't many players like them. Tavares could quite concievably be the Hart trophy winner or Art Ross winner next season.

Old
06-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
You're comparing Subban in his prime to a kid that just turned 20 though. Beaulieu in junior played with a lot more of a feisty edge than what we saw in Montreal, but he was there playing insulated ice time in a short trial, just getting his feet wet. His frame also needs filling out to play that game in the pros vs QMJHL.
No I'm comparing them as how I remember them as prospects in junior, the memorial cup and world juniors. I agree with the earlier poster who said that Subban has a stronger mental game. He was always more intense and more focused than Beaulieu. Subbans problem was that he tried to do too much. Beaulieu needs to remember that he is playing hockey sometimes.

Old
06-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
So how about that draft, eh?
oh yeaaaah......

Bold prediction:

nobody here can even pick the players that will go in the 1st round (forget the order)...

I know I can't.

Someone asked about Klimchuk... I like his game a lot. tons of Hockey sense...knows how to score has enough skill to play with top players. Maybe a bit like Eberle?

Old
06-20-2013, 03:29 PM
yianik

Im not looking for Nathan B to be another PK. I see PKs upside to be in the mould of Chris Chelios and for Nathan Bs upside to be another Eric Desjardins, which would be fantastic. Both Chelios and Desjardins were top notch defensively though and PK would have to improve there and Nathan B is just 20, so long way to go.

Last edited by yianik: 06-20-2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: forgot sentence
Old
06-20-2013, 03:35 PM
RC51

Interesting words from MB. Not looking at all for players or trades for players. wants to keep and use his 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.
ALL this means is habs want draft picks habs like draft picks. If you want a current hab player? better come with some good draft picks or a move up pick.

Old
06-20-2013, 03:43 PM
merlin

Seems like Bergevin mentioned today that they could end up with 4 to 8 picks in the first 3 rounds (reported by lapresse.ca), so moving up or down talks have happened. MTL scouting staff have told him the draft is deep...

He did also mention, as we could have guessed, that talks will intensify as the draft nears. I'm sure he might be tempted to add a weber to a pick to move up. Or trade down from 25 if he can get 2 quality picks (high to mid 2nd round like the San Jose picks, my guess here).

Old
06-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Draft

I honestly can't remember if it's been brought up before, must have somewhere though... Would people rather have chose #3 this year or last year? Does Drouin/Mackinnon/Jones/Barkov measure above Galchenyuk/Yakupov now that we've gotten to see Galchenyuk play more and we're closer to the draft?

Old
06-20-2013, 04:00 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
I would love to be wrong, but Morin will go in the 11-16 range. I hope we move up to get him. He is going to be a real surprise when he hit the NHL and the team that nabs him will look like a bunch of damned geniuses. I just hope it is the Habs who get to look so good.
god i hope we get him...i've been watching lots of clips of him and he looks so good out there...he's like chara..the resemblence is crazy...he looks exactly like him. also his draft stock went up significantly over the past few months he was once ranked 76. he's on the rise

what do you think we would have to dish out to get into that 11-16 range?

Old
06-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL 1h Conversation with NHL amateur scout: He said that he could visualize Frederic Gauthier (Rimouski) going ahead of Monahan and into top 6.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Draft

Quote:
Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL 1h Conversation with NHL amateur scout: He said that he could visualize Frederic Gauthier (Rimouski) going ahead of Monahan and into top 6.
I thought he was trending down!?!

Old
06-20-2013, 04:05 PM
habsfan29

I think someone should create a chatzy for the draft, would e more entertaining!

Old
06-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
An NHL scout called PK Subban the softest player in the 2007 draft. They sometimes make mistakes. Gauthier ahead of Monahan would be one of them.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Erik Estrada
@Denis.Coderre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
An NHL scout called PK Subban the softest player in the 2007 draft. They sometimes make mistakes. Gauthier ahead of Monahan would be one of them.
The head scout of an NHL team (good friends with a member of my family), said right after PK was drafted in 2007 (a few weeks after), that the team he works for would have never drafted him because "he's all over the place" and "can't play defense"...

I could also add, that he was really dismissive of Subban and gave the impression that it was almost a joke that the Habs drafted him.

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 06-20-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old
06-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Runner77
Drone Boning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Exactly, and in my opinion, Beaulieu has nowhere near the mental tools that Subban does to max out his potential.
Can't help but agree. Subban is in a whole different category. Just because a player like Beaulieu is toolsy, doesn't mean the mental part of his game will follow. He has shown some serious lapses in judgment in his own zone.

Corey Pronman:

Quote:
Beaulieu's main issues are his defensive game and decision-making, as he makes way too mistakes and plays a very high-risk game.
ESPN:

Quote:
Nathan Beaulieu, D, Montreal Canadiens
Beaulieu's raw upside but decision-making concerns were basically the tale of his Major Junior career. He has a ton of upside, but an above-average amount of risk on his projection according to some sources.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...-turning-heads

Old
06-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I honestly can't remember if it's been brought up before, must have somewhere though... Would people rather have chose #3 this year or last year? Does Drouin/Mackinnon/Jones/Barkov measure above Galchenyuk/Yakupov now that we've gotten to see Galchenyuk play more and we're closer to the draft?
I'm not going to rank them, but I know I wouldn't trade Galchenyuk for #3 this year.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:24 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

There's a reason he's an "amateur" scout. Brutal.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:25 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I'm not going to rank them, but I know I wouldn't trade Galchenyuk for #3 this year.
Homer, I know, but I don't think I'd move Gally for the 1st overall.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:34 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

I would completely reject the bolded out of hand (and question if you really believe it yourself or if you're arguing for the sake of it) and refer you to my previous post where I already defined the mental tools I'm talking about - competitiveness, determination, will to succeed, etc.

Also the fact that you say Beaulieu is gaining a ton of maturity in the same off-season where him and his dad got arrested for assault is just ridiculous.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:35 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
god i hope we get him...i've been watching lots of clips of him and he looks so good out there...he's like chara..the resemblence is crazy...he looks exactly like him. also his draft stock went up significantly over the past few months he was once ranked 76. he's on the rise

what do you think we would have to dish out to get into that 11-16 range?
Last year, Buffalo gave a 21st and a 42nd to get Calgary's 14th pick.
So a 25th and 34th would get us around 18th, add a 55th and you get a 15-16th.

Trading up could also be done with players.

Closed Thread