HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 12.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2013, 09:27 AM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Encounter View Post
Pipe dream (at least I think so) but Bowey at #34 and McCoshen at #36 would be a robbery. Pair that with getting a Hartman, Rychel or Zykov with the #25 pick would send this fan base into a frenzy.
I don't know if I'd go into a frenzy.. I'd be peeved they took 2 D in the first 3 picks considering our current prospect pool. I'd probably be happy later.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
This is a little taste of what Bailey can do. Wow.

http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/vide...e1ce06e30024ce

Old
06-22-2013, 09:35 AM
pcamp

I wouldn't mind if we pick Rychel and the reason why is that Timmins saw him play for the last two year since they were scouting Vail last year

Old
06-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
3 PM ET, TSN starts their coverage 30 minutes before.

A year ago today:

What an amazing pick. I'm so happy when I think about it one year later... Full credit goes to the Habs scouting staff, they could have messed this up. What seems so obvious now, wasn't necessarily last season:

From that same TSN video:

"This is though one of the thinnest resumes for a high First Round draft pick that we've seen in a long time... This is a pretty thin sample to be drafted 3rd overall".

Old
06-22-2013, 09:39 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:

Definitely one of the most skilled players in the draft, I can't wait to see what he's going to do next year with a bigger role on the team.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't know if I'd go into a frenzy.. I'd be peeved they took 2 D in the first 3 picks considering our current prospect pool. I'd probably be happy later.
After Tinordi, the only real mean defenseman we have in the system is Thrower, and he needs to make some real improvements next season. McCoshen would add that and Bowey is a very good two-way defenseman. I don't think you can go wrong with either two, even if the Canadiens are defense-heavy in terms of prospects. Guys like Beaulieu, Tinordi, Dietz and MAYBE Thrower are on their way up, either to Hamilton or potentially with the Habs (more likely for Tinordi than anyone else). Drafting your McCoshens and Boweys, you are setting yourself up for the next 5-6 years on the back end. Not just with steady defensemen, but ones who bring a game that the Habs sorely miss.

Unless they go another route, select more offense with grit and skill and add a Diaby or Subban in the third round. I guess you could make your argument there but event then, give me Bowey/McCoshen over Diaby/Subban any day and I'll live with the slower development on the wing.

EDIT: And yes, if you can't tell already, I am largely in favor of drafting and building from the crease and out. Habs have Price, now they need to start building up that blue line. You start limiting your opponents to under 30 shots a game, you will win most of the time. Guys like McCoshen will clear the crease and work their grit in the corners -- something the Habs need big time -- and your guys like Bowey excel at puck movement and puck possession in the offensive zone. I've watched Bowey a lot and this kid is so good at retrieving pucks and getting into passing lines. He's a very smart player.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
06-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
It's hard to tell because there's almost no video on him, but scouts would dispute McCoshen being described as ''mean'':

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...013-nhl-draft/

Quote:
Although McCoshen is a scoring threat from the blueline, he has been criticized for shying away from physical play even though he has so much size.

“Showing his true colors as of late though,” says one scout, “and has demonstrated more of a cowardly presence on the ice, rather than a tough one as his size would lead you to believe.”
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/articles...e-ian-mccoshen

Quote:
McCoshen is a big, defensive defenseman. He measured in a 6'2" 207 lbs. at the NHL Combine. His straight-line skating is very good for a player of his size, with a little bit of room to improve his lateral movement. He's an excellent one-on-one defender, and can play with a bit of a physical edge. He doesn't project to be a huge offensive creator at the next level, but he's shown enough improvement in that area that it shouldn't be a liability. While he may not play on the power play much, he'll make smart, solid first passes out of the zone.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:48 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Yea, that's why McCoshen for me is such a big question mark. I'll trust Timmins though, even if he does sound like David Fischer!

Old
06-22-2013, 09:56 AM
habsroom

With the 25 pick I think the Habs need to draft a forward that can score,has size and grit . I also feel that the only player that might be around that fills all 3 of those roles is
Rychel. So the Habs might have to find a player that fills 2 of the 3 roles. We need to add size to the top 6. Here is the guys I would like to see them draft at #25( I am only listing guys that have a chance to be there at the #25 pick.)

1 Rychel........... has size/grit(can fight) and can score 3=3
2 Erne ........... has size/grit(can't fight) and can score 2.5 = 3
3 Zykov .......... has size/less grit(will not fight) but can score 2=3
4 Hartman ..... avg size/very gritty(can fight) and can score 2=3
5 Mantha...... has size/ ? grit (did fight 5 times) / but can score 2=3
6 McCarron... has size/has grit(says he wants to fight),can he score? 2=3
7 Gauthier.... he has size/ no grit(will not fight) avg scorer at best 1=3

I also think the Habs should pick up anyone of these guys at #34 or 36 if they were to fall into the second round.

There are players with power forward potential that will be picked in the second round that the Habs should look at. Bailey/Dickinson to name a couple.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:57 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
It's just over a week until the 2013 Entry Draft and barring some earth shattering developments, these will be my picks;

#25 - Mike McCarron - RW - 6'5" - 228 lbs. - The power forward the Habs have needed since trading away John Leclair.

#34 - Justin Bailey - C/RW - 6'3" - 195 lbs. - A power forward in the making, with Mike double trouble coming soon.

#36 - Ian McCoshen - LD - 6'3" - 207 lbs. - A solid Shutdown dman with some offence.

#55 - John Diaby - LD - 6'5" - 231 lbs. - Punishing shutdown defenceman that will keep the front of the crease clear for Price.

#71 - Matt Buckles - C - 6'2" - 210 lbs. - Another power forward with speed and natural goal scoring abilities.

#85 - Zach Sanford - C/LW - 6'4" - 195 lbs. - One more power forward with playmaking and goal scoring abilities.

#175 - Tyler "Hulk" Hill - LW - 6'6" - 230 lbs. - Policy Maker / Peacekeeper / Power Forward / Statement Player.

#205 - Liam Coughlin - C - 6'3" - 215 lbs. - The 6th and final power forward selected in this year's draft by the Habs.

After this draft there will be very little doubt which direction the Habs are headed. Bergevin is building his team with some size in both forward and defence corps, leaving fans the confidence our team will not be pushed around. Teams that used to think they could come into the Centre Bell and lay a beating on the Habs, have another thing coming in the future. If the Habs pick a goalie, Jusse Saros stands to be their choice. It's not likely a Francophone goalie will be chosen, too many teams in the hunt for goalie prospects this year.
I have no problem with this draft but i think the Habs will try to go for more than just powerforwards and I made 2 options per pick. Rychel and hartman arent fighters but are safer picks and bring grit. McCarron scares me and is a reach in the first round.

i think Diaby is way to early at #55 and Hill doesnt drop to #176. Both will likely go in the 4th or 5th round where we dont have picks.

#25. Kerby Rychel - LW - 6'1" - 198 lbs OR Ryan Hartman - RW - 5'11" - 185 lbs

#34. Ian McCoshen - D - 6'3" - 205 lbs OR Robert Hagg - D - 6'2" - 205 lbs

#36. Justin Bailey - RW - 6'3" - 188 lbs OR Jacob de La Rose - LW - 6'2" - 190 lbs

#55. Adam Tambellini - LW - 6'4" - 175 lbs OR Brett Pesce - D - 6'3" - 175 lbs

#71. Zach Sanford - LW - 6'3" - 190 lbs OR Nick Moutrey- 6'2" - 205 lbs

#86. Juuse Saros - G - 5'11" - 180 lbs OR Cal Petersen - G - 6'2" - 180 lbs

#176. Chris Clapperon - LW - 5'10" - 180 lbs OR Ross Johnston - LW - 6'5" -230 lbs

#206. Liam Coughlin - C - 6'3" - 215 lbs OR Mads Eller - C - 6'0" - 180 lbs

Last edited by LeHabsMan: 06-22-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old
06-22-2013, 10:03 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

I'm definitely down with Diaby and Hill in the middle rounds, but we need to get talent with our first three, no question.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I'm definitely down with Diaby and Hill in the middle rounds, but we need to get talent with our first three, no question.
First round should be BPA. one of the first 2 seconds should be one we take a chance on.

If the first 3 picks we don't draft a dman, I'd be fine with drafting Diaby with our 3rd 2nd.

Anyone have a list of possible HW they'd take in the later rounds ?

Old
06-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
There's a lot of high character players in the draft that don't suck at their position.
That's completely ridiculous. Pulock would be a major steal at 25.

Old
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Yea, that's why McCoshen for me is such a big question mark. I'll trust Timmins though, even if he does sound like David Fischer!
Sure, but if we listen to everyone's opinions and take it as the holy grail, you could find something wrong with any player. Mike McCarron, for example. Everyone seems to be high on him, right? Some say first rounder, right? Here's what RedLine has to say about Mr. McCarron (taken from a post from the Oilers board, made by moderator misfit):

Quote:
"looks like he should be a player, but won't be"

"he's consistently passive along the defensive wall, refusing to give up his body to clear the zone, and we've seen numberous instances where he's cost his team goals on turnovers caused by being too soft on the puck"

"He's fake tough"

"doesn't win many puck battles against strong, physical d-men"

"Need to see more intensity and desire in his play."

They also had him listed as a finalist for their "Tin Men" trophy for players who lack heart as well as the "Alexandre Daigle" trophy for most overrated players. Here's the blurb from the former:

"Can't decide whether he wants to be a scorer (which he's not), or a tough guy (which he's definitely not).
Link: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=986

Old
PricePkPatch

Quote:
3 PM ET, TSN starts their coverage 30 minutes before.
Thanks!

So I start watching at 8PM, and just keep going.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:22 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

I'm hoping for

25: Zykov/Mantha/Rychel/Burakowsky/Erne
34: Bowey/Mueller/Hagg/McCoshen/Santini
36: Petan/Hartman/Poirier/Bailey/Dickinson/DeLaRose

Then get me some heavy's like Diaby and Hill and a couple of goalies and I'm thrilled.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Mercury10

Quote:
After Tinordi, the only real mean defenseman we have in the system is Thrower, and he needs to make some real improvements next season. McCoshen would add that and Bowey is a very good two-way defenseman. I don't think you can go wrong with either two, even if the Canadiens are defense-heavy in terms of prospects. Guys like Beaulieu, Tinordi, Dietz and MAYBE Thrower are on their way up, either to Hamilton or potentially with the Habs (more likely for Tinordi than anyone else). Drafting your McCoshens and Boweys, you are setting yourself up for the next 5-6 years on the back end. Not just with steady defensemen, but ones who bring a game that the Habs sorely miss.

Unless they go another route, select more offense with grit and skill and add a Diaby or Subban in the third round. I guess you could make your argument there but event then, give me Bowey/McCoshen over Diaby/Subban any day and I'll live with the slower development on the wing.

EDIT: And yes, if you can't tell already, I am largely in favor of drafting and building from the crease and out. Habs have Price, now they need to start building up that blue line. You start limiting your opponents to under 30 shots a game, you will win most of the time. Guys like McCoshen will clear the crease and work their grit in the corners -- something the Habs need big time -- and your guys like Bowey excel at puck movement and puck possession in the offensive zone. I've watched Bowey a lot and this kid is so good at retrieving pucks and getting into passing lines. He's a very smart player.
I disagree a little bit with your evaluation of Bowey. I have seen him 5 or 6 times live this year and have seen great offensive skills and instincts but poor effort on the backend, especially backchecking after a bad pinch. I don't think I have even seen him enough LIVE to know if I just saw his few bad efforts by coincidence or if his poor effort was on a regular basis.
I also don't think the Habs necessarily need another offensive minded Dman with Beaulieu and Nygren on the farm.
So my main concern is EFFORT, nothing else.
If he learns to put as much effort in on the backcheck as he does on the rush, I think he could be a good one.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:25 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Sure, but if we listen to everyone's opinions and take it as the holy grail, you could find something wrong with any player. Mike McCarron, for example. Everyone seems to be high on him, right? Some say first rounder, right? Here's what RedLine has to say about Mr. McCarron (taken from a post from the Oilers board, made by moderator misfit):

Link: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=986
Well to be honest I'm not that high on McCarron either. I'd be okay with him at 36, but not higher than that.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:30 AM
habs76sk
Rookie User

Quote:

I would love to hear your scouting report on Bowey if you have seen him lots?
I like everything I hear about him so far..

I still am not sure about Mccoshen. There seems to be varying opinions on him and I think there will be better options than him. But hey, If TT likes him, I trust in TT.

Dmen I would love to get in order. -> Morin, Pulock, Morrisey, Bowey, Theodore, Diaby.

Now I don't think we have a chance at the first 3 unless we move up, but hopefully the last three are around for our 2nd round picks.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Mats86

Quote:
I'm hoping for

Then get me some heavy's like Diaby and Hill and a couple of goalies and I'm thrilled.
I'm predicting....25 - Rychel or Mueller.
34 - Bailey
36 - Hayden
55 - Diaby

Old
06-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
I'm hoping for

Not by preference or BPA, but by least to most likely to be available at those picks (mock projections)

24-Mantha/Erne/Burakowsky/Zykov//Rychel
34-Bowey/Mueller/Hagg/McCoshen/Santini
36-Hartman/Poirier/Petan/DeLaRose/Bailey/Dickinson

Old
06-22-2013, 11:06 AM
PricePkPatch

Oh well. Silly of me, I know most of you seem convinced he isn't worth the time.. But I'd like us to upgrade our 3rd if Bogdan Yakimov still is available early 3rd round.

LPV's rights might be worth a big center backup.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:12 AM
JohnnyReb

I don't think Bailey makes it to 34, much less 36. I'm not sure he makes it to 25 actually, but thats just me. If we want him, I think we have to use our first rounder on him.

Fearless prediction:

Bailey

Petan
Compher
Roy

Hill
Bibeau

Use to amuse.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:16 AM
phillytennis

Quote:
I'm hoping for

Pick #34...Laurent Dauphin...Pick number #36...Émile Poirier...two solid picks!!!!

Old
06-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Draft

Quote:

He is "my boy" this draft. Really like his story, his tools and I see a lot of potential in him. Talk about skill and raw talent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
I don't think Bailey makes it to 34, much less 36. I'm not sure he makes it to 25 actually, but thats just me. If we want him, I think we have to use our first rounder on him.

Fearless prediction:

Bailey

Petan
Compher
Roy

Hill
Bibeau

Use to amuse.
He's also J-Reb's boy.

Closed Thread