HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 12.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2013, 11:34 AM
habs76sk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
I don't think Bailey makes it to 34, much less 36. I'm not sure he makes it to 25 actually, but thats just me. If we want him, I think we have to use our first rounder on him.

Fearless prediction:

Bailey

Petan
Compher
Roy

Hill
Bibeau

Use to amuse.
I would guess Bailey is available at 34 and 36. I can't see someone using a first on him. Again, just my opinion. I would be fine getting him at 36 though.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Bob b smith

Quote:
I don't think Bailey makes it to 34, much less 36. I'm not sure he makes it to 25 actually, but thats just me. If we want him, I think we have to use our first rounder on him.

He's in that tier that goes roughly from 20 to 45 that's a free-for-all. I wouldn't be surprised if a team picks any of those guys at 20... As Bobsled would say: "Expect the unexpected''.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:37 AM
habs76sk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
First round should be BPA. one of the first 2 seconds should be one we take a chance on.

If the first 3 picks we don't draft a dman, I'd be fine with drafting Diaby with our 3rd 2nd.

Anyone have a list of possible HW they'd take in the later rounds ?
I like. But I would extend BPA to #34 and 36# also as these can basically be considered first rounders in this deep of a draft. #55 is where I take a chance with higher risk, possibly a player with great size.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:38 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:

Fearless prediction:

Bailey

Petan
Compher
Roy

Hill
Bibeau

Use to amuse.
I think in this draft, I can't imagine him going before 25. I'd be okay with taking him 25 if the other forwards are off the board, and I'd be pretty disappointed if we don't end up with him.

Keep in mind though if he's there at 34, and assuming Carolina take Nichushkin in round 1, Carolina won't be taking him at 35.

They desperately need to address their blueline, and after taking a huge boom/bust guy at 5, I think they'd want a safe D prospect at 35...

Old
06-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

vCash: 725
I will not be as thrilled as some people in here if we go with Bailey. His playoffs performance needs to be a concern. As far as Rychel is concerned, I'm just also concerned about his ceiling. Will not be thrilled with both of those guys but will understand the concept.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:41 AM
habs76sk

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
Pick #34...Laurent Dauphin...Pick number #36...Émile Poirier...two solid picks!!!!
I don't mind these picks. I also wouldn't mind Bailey. But then again, I also want Theodore and Bowey! Not enough picks for all the good players!

Old
06-22-2013, 11:45 AM
habs76sk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I will not be as thrilled as some people in here if we go with Bailey. His playoffs performance needs to be a concern. As far as Rychel is concerned, I'm just also concerned about his ceiling. Will not be thrilled with both of those guys but will understand the concept.
I have similar concerns. Not completely sold on either guy but if TT thinks they are the guy to pick, I am sold!

Old
06-22-2013, 11:46 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
I'm hoping for a Rychel/Bailey combo with a D squeezed in between myself. Rychel to me is a safe bet, a for sure 20+ goal guy who adds size and toughness to our top 6. Bailey is a home run swing though, and could be a late bloomer, I think that's what the thinking behind taking him is.

Remember we aren't taking him for who he was at 17, but rather who he will be at 23. At 23 years old, Bailey could be an absolute beast!

Old
06-22-2013, 11:57 AM
couris

Dauphin and Poirier are a must draft. No excuses.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Disappearing Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
I feel the same way even though I never cared about if we picked Quebecois or not, I just loves Dauphin's game reminds me so much of Bergeron and living in Ottawa I saw Poirier quite a few times and he is as clutch as they get

Old
06-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Laboeuf

From what I heard base on a friend's dad, this is a deep draft year. Aside from the top 4 (elite skills), the top 40 rated prospects can go in the first round. That is We will land 3 of the top 40 prospects in the world. As Timmins would say, it will feel like we have 3 late first round picks. On top of that we have 6 picks in the top 86 picks. Should be an exciting draft.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:23 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
No they really aren't. Not in this draft.

I don't have a problem with them, but to call them a "must" draft is absurd.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:46 PM
ScoutWannaBe
Intangiblezzz 12-17

Quote:
No. Just no.

This draft is to deep to go for the french guys.

I dont think they are "must drafts". If Dauphin is there at #36 we take him assuming Bailey, de La Rose and a few others are not there.

Poirier will probably go between 26-35 and with our #34 pick it should be which defender drops like Muller, Bowey, McCoshen, Santini, Hagg or Theodore.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
Just a great quote....

So the draft is too deep to go for the french guys, when the draft isn't deep, there are just not enough french guys.....It's not about french guys in this draft as those guys could be compared to any non-french ones in the draft. That's a tremendous Q bunch this year that if we had extensive looks on them, we know FOR SURE if we want them or not. Timmins has been really present for the Q this year. And we have more guys scouting as well. The presence in the Q has never been as obvious this year. And with reasons.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:55 PM
ScoutWannaBe
Intangiblezzz 12-17

McCarron at #25 and Diaby at #55 is just ridiculous. I just had to put it out there.

Sure size is important for a team like Montreal but just look at where these guys are ranked.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/06/...er-profile-60/

This is on McCarron and the author has the exact same thoughts as me about him.

Here is another:
http://thehockeywriters.com/michael-...spect-profile/

I dont think Bergevin and timmins will give into him. His ULTIMATE potential is a top 6 powerforward. I think he ends up being a Brian Boyle.

Diaby at #55 is just ridiculous. You can draft a guy a few inches shorter that can actually play hockey instead.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Bob b smith

Quote:
No. Just no.

No we'll just leave the Bruins or the Flyers **** us over again because we don't bother scouting correctly the "french guy"... To get BPA we need to leave absolutely no stone unturned.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:58 PM
ScoutWannaBe
Intangiblezzz 12-17

Quote:
Just a great quote....

So the draft is too deep to go for the french guys, when the draft isn't deep, there are just not enough french guys.....It's not about french guys in this draft as those guys could be compared to any non-french ones in the draft. That's a tremendous Q bunch this year that if we had extensive looks on them, we know FOR SURE if we want them or not. Timmins has been really present for the Q this year. And we have more guys scouting as well. The presence in the Q has never been as obvious this year. And with reasons.
So since there are players from the Q we have to draft them? No. If there are better players available Timmins and Bergevin should take them.

Dauphin and poirier are good but if someone like Bailey, McCoshen, Bowey, Santini, Petan or JDLR are available at the same time as them we should take them.

Old
06-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Bob b smith

Quote:
So since there are players from the Q we have to draft them? No. If there are better players available Timmins and Bergevin should take them.

Dauphin and poirier are good but if someone like Bailey, McCoshen, Bowey, Santini, Petan or JDLR are available at the same time as them we should take them.
If you go back in history, what often happens is for a given league (for example) the Q or the WHL, you have a deep crop where 12 guys are picked in the Top 2 Rounds and 9 or 10 become NHLers... In bad years, you'll get 3 guys picked and 1 makes the NHL in those same leagues...

And you'll find years where league X has 7 players drafted and 6 make it out of the Top 2 Rounds. And in the same draft, 8 players get drafted from league Y in the Top-2 Rounds and none make it... No stone needs to be left unturned.

Old
06-22-2013, 01:05 PM
ScoutWannaBe
Intangiblezzz 12-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
No we'll just leave the Bruins or the Flyers **** us over again because we don't bother scouting correctly the "french guy"... To get BPA we need to leave absolutely no stone unturned.
For every Giroux or Bergeron there is a Nicolas Deshamps over Roman Josi, Yann Sauve over Justin Schultz or Maxime Sauve over Derek Stepan. That was just in 2008.

What about in 2007? Thank god Montreal took Mathieu Carle over Artem Anisimov! And im sure Washington is happy they took Francois Bouchard instead of Jamie McGinn.

Montreal has to scout everyone properly not just focus on the players in the Q so we dont make mistakes like these. There are more cases of taking the Q guy over a better player than a worse player over a Q guy.

Old
06-22-2013, 01:05 PM
overlords
#FakeBlous

Quote:
For every Giroux or Bergeron there is a Nicolas Deshamps over Roman Josi, Yann Sauve over Justin Schultz or Maxime Sauve over Derek Stepan. That was just in 2008.

What about in 2007? Thank god Montreal took Mathieu Carle over Artem Anisimov! And im sure Washington is happy they took Francois Bouchard instead of Jamie McGinn.

Montreal has to scout everyone properly not just focus on the players in the Q so we dont make mistakes like these. There are more cases of taking the Q guy over a better player than a worse player over a Q guy.
I think you two are more or less saying the exact same thing.

" scout everybody, draft the best player there"

Old
06-22-2013, 01:12 PM
ScoutWannaBe
Intangiblezzz 12-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I think you two are more or less saying the exact same thing.

" scout everybody, draft the best player there"
Yes but you cant use the "another team might draft Dauphin and poirier or else its going to be the bergeron and Giroux all over again."

We might end up taking them and get dissapointed. i trust Timmins and bergevin will take the BPA.

Old
06-22-2013, 01:18 PM
habs76sk

Quote:

This is of course your opinion.. I would argue that Dauphin and Poirer might be better picks than a few of the guys you suggested. Why is it that you think Santini, Mccoshen and JDLR would be better than Dauphin and Poirer?

As most of us have come to realize, there are many good prospects available in the first 50 or so picks. I am not really against any picks except Dmen with limited offensive upside. I feel you can get guys like this later in the draft to become stay at home dmen 'a la josh gorges'.

To me, unless you are in the interview room with TT, or know the prospect personally, none of us really know the prospects all that well. You can watch them play, and see their physical tools, but until you speak to them, and talk to them after games like scouts do, you don't know what their personality and character is. To me, this is what gets players to the next level. If you have the on-ice talent and skills, the thing that sets players apart; ones that don't make it, to the ones that do, is character, attitude/personality, and drive/work ethic.

Old
06-22-2013, 01:21 PM
habs76sk

Quote:
Yes but you cant use the "another team might draft Dauphin and poirier or else its going to be the bergeron and Giroux all over again."

We might end up taking them and get dissapointed. i trust Timmins and bergevin will take the BPA.
Agree. Trust in TT and the scouting staff. They have a good proven track record.

Old
06-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Bob b smith

Quote:

Some of the Habs' biggest failures have been drafting a guy from the WHL, and 2 picks later, Iginla is picked. Same for the Q or other leagues... Not Q over LeagueX.

What's likely is one of Dauphin, Carrier, Poirier, etc... will be big. Make sure you get the right one.

To make a parrallel with the Swedish prospects, they're all 6'1, they all skate very well, are decent stickhandlers, etc... They're stats are all similar. One had better numbers in J18, the other one in J20, the third in Allsvenkan or SEL... Will Burakovsky be the one? Wennberg? Just don't mess it up. If you go Swede get the right one not the bust...

Old
06-22-2013, 01:25 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:

Maybe the french guy can be the BPA as well? Especially this year with so many intriguing Q players.

Closed Thread