HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Goaltending 2013-14

Old
07-16-2013, 10:04 PM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest View Post
Typical HF, take the post and scrutinize it.

A legitimate goalie playing in a tandem.

Happy?
How dare I not read in between the lines of someone's post. I wasn't trying to criticize you, I just think that it's silly to bring in a goalie who wants to be the starter. This team, if it remains healthy (knowing the panthers this is impossible), is at best a fringe playoff team. Why not ride Markstrom? I don't personally know him, but his personality doesn't scream complacency to me. Anyways, this conversation is pointless, because Thomas will likely sign elsewhere, and DT likely won't touch Bryz. I am however, curious as to why you feel Markstrom needs to be in a tandem. He has been nothing short of impressive so far, and I can't see why this won't translate over a full season.

Last edited by ucanthanzalthetruth: 07-16-2013 at 10:11 PM.
ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Dr Beinfest

vCash: 500
Of course you're riding Markstrom 1a, but I think going 1a 1b is a bit better for Markstrom. Who is certain Tim Thomas will get a starting job somewhere? I'm sure most teams looking at him right now are afraid of a player who took a year off. That's why they probably want someone as a fallback on him. I think a 1b role is exactly the kind of role Thomas is best suited for right now.

Last edited by angry_treefrog: 07-17-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:39 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Curious how Sam Brittains development has been?

Last edited by Oiltankjob Fail: 07-17-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:05 AM
Dr Beinfest

Stats show he wasn't the #1 in Denver last season.

I'm not sure how college development works, but assuming he finishes out there this season and graduates, he'll probably be headed to the professionals following.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 04:35 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Brittain lost the starting job last season, but I still think that's more of just how tremendous Olkinuora played last season rather than a reflection of Brittain's ability. I have no problem admitting Olkinuora looked fantastic and should have been the starter, and he already signed an NHL contract with the Jets after only one season. It's been a couple tough years for Brittain. He had to deal with a major injury in 11-12, then lost the starting job the next season. It'll be interesting to see how he bounces back. I'll definitely be watching a lot of Denver games. No matter who plays in goal, it'll be a Panthers prospect.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:08 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
How dare I not read in between the lines of someone's post. I wasn't trying to criticize you, I just think that it's silly to bring in a goalie who wants to be the starter. This team, if it remains healthy (knowing the panthers this is impossible), is at best a fringe playoff team. Why not ride Markstrom? I don't personally know him, but his personality doesn't scream complacency to me. Anyways, this conversation is pointless, because Thomas will likely sign elsewhere, and DT likely won't touch Bryz. I am however, curious as to why you feel Markstrom needs to be in a tandem. He has been nothing short of impressive so far, and I can't see why this won't translate over a full season.
Agree we should ride Markstrom, 50-55 games.

Agree with your previous comment that we are a fringe playoff team, thus every point will count.

Disagree that you want a lifetime backup on the downside of his backup career to be responsible for the outcome of 60 points.

So id rather Marky do 40 with someone i trust for the other half than Marky do 55 with a goalie who couldnt stop a beachball last yr.

Not a "i dont trust Marky, more a I dont trust this b/u to gain maximum points on a fringe team.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:07 PM
gizmo12688

I thought Brittan was injured for a good part of last season?

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:05 PM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Agree we should ride Markstrom, 50-55 games.

Agree with your previous comment that we are a fringe playoff team, thus every point will count.

Disagree that you want a lifetime backup on the downside of his backup career to be responsible for the outcome of 60 points.

So id rather Marky do 40 with someone i trust for the other half than Marky do 55 with a goalie who couldnt stop a beachball last yr.

Not a "i dont trust Marky, more a I dont trust this b/u to gain maximum points on a fringe team.
Fair enough, I just think that the whole team was bad last year. If you don't want Clemmer, who else would you want? Theodore was also really bad last year, not to mention injury prone, so I don't see him as an upgrade. Looking at the f/a pool for goalies, it's really thin (I don't see Hedberg or Mason as upgrades, they were both mediocre last year.) Thomas is obviously the best option, but do you see ownership willing to pay 3+ million for him? (that's what I think it'll take)

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
I thought Brittan was injured for a good part of last season?
I think you're thinking of 11-12, when he missed a big chunk of the season.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:06 PM
gizmo12688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I think you're thinking of 11-12, when he missed a big chunk of the season.
Probably. Couldn't remember if it was last season or the year before.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote