HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Workout Thread Part II - I do 3 sets of nutrition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-04-2013, 04:55 AM
  #226
Miss Ausguins
Needs moar Vodka
 
Miss Ausguins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Straya
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,315
vCash: 500
Nutrition wise.....

I have very little sugar (Coffee is an exception where I will have one small spoonful)
No soft drinks or Soda

The main one being my "permanent" McDonald's (and a lot of other Takeout joints) ban

Miss Ausguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 07:26 AM
  #227
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
Registered User
 
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: This space.
Country: Poland
Posts: 9,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Genius!

I'm thinking I'll just start running again. Fun stuff.
Don't eat less, just eat healthier....and yes, exercise is great. Just eat natural sugars and cut out any crap you're eating. Doesn't mean you have to stop eating everything that tastes good. Grill yourself up a steak or chicken with some vegetables instead of grabbing fastfood (if you eat it to begin with). Don't eat any processed foods, it's crap. Try to eat natural foods. Cut out unnatural sugar, combine that with cardio like running and you'll have no problem dropping 10+ pounds of fat in a month.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 09:48 AM
  #228
Pens Junky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Look at the ingredients in your food and do your best to eat food that only has ONE ingredient...

ie... chicken, steak, salmon, fruits, veggies, potato.... pretty much everything that is good for you.

Like Don't cry said... eat healthy and eliminate the processed junk from your diet.

No eating past 8:00 pm either unless its like celery or cucumber... something low in cals and easy to digest.

Pens Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 03:00 PM
  #229
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 53,038
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I think dieting fails when people try to focus too hard on specific things. Example: "I'm eating almonds and berries! Why am I not losing weight" yet they haven't altered simple things like no eating past 8, eliminating empty calories (soda/beer), and sticking to very healthy foods such as grilled chicken, turkey, salads, veggies, etc.

Diets are simple... they just suck.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 05:05 PM
  #230
Pens Junky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
That's the problem dude. Get the word diet out of your head and substitute it with a fundamental change in nutrition.

Pens Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 09:20 PM
  #231
DoctrSteveBrule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I think dieting fails when people try to focus too hard on specific things. Example: "I'm eating almonds and berries! Why am I not losing weight" yet they haven't altered simple things like no eating past 8, eliminating empty calories (soda/beer), and sticking to very healthy foods such as grilled chicken, turkey, salads, veggies, etc.

Diets are simple... they just suck.
agreed. But there is no scientific tie between eating late at night and gaining weight. You can eat whenever you want as long as its healthy. A lot of people just tend to eat junk when they eat at night because they're hungry and tired so they go for the chips or whatever is quick. However from a physiology standpoint it really doesn't matter when you eat.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 06:10 AM
  #232
Zbynek
Registered User
 
Zbynek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Madrid, Spain
Country: Spain
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
What many people overlook in nutrition is an actual eating schedule.

I have a naturally tall and thin frame, but 4 years of an unhealthy lifestyle at Penn State University had me at man boobs status (about 6'0, 200, which for my frame is chubby).

I've been living in Europe now for about a year now and have lost about 50 pounds. I attribute a lot of this weight loss to running (ran my first marathon in April, and running another one in October) but most of all, the difference maker has been a more "European eating schedule".

Big and nutritious breakfast: Oatmeal, Hardboiled Eggs, Raisins
Even bigger lunch: Tuna/Grilled Chicken on Pita Bread, Brown Rice, lots of fresh vegetables
Light dinner: Fish and a salad with a lot of vegetables

With healthy snacks (yogurt, fruits, nuts) throughout the day to keep metabolism going.

If you're one of those people who can eat the same thing every day, this is the way to lose weight. But again, this is personally what has worked for me, everyone is different obviously. I was just one of those people who always skipped breakfast, had a hurried lunch and a humongous dinner to compensate. Awful for your body. Timing is key - a little bit of dedication goes a long way.

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 10:21 AM
  #233
Pens Junky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
agreed. But there is no scientific tie between eating late at night and gaining weight. You can eat whenever you want as long as its healthy. A lot of people just tend to eat junk when they eat at night because they're hungry and tired so they go for the chips or whatever is quick. However from a physiology standpoint it really doesn't matter when you eat.

Part of the problem with eating late at night is that when you're sleeping your bodies rate of digestion isn't as fast as it is when you're out and about during the day. In light of this, food that's consumed late at night is harder to digest and therefore can attribute to weight gain. That's why I suggested that if you eat late you should definitely make sure its something healthy and low in cals. If you're having a big bowl of cereal or carbs your body won't digest it properly as it takes your body upwards to 6 hours to digest something as simple as a piece of toast as it requires a lot of energy to do so. Another problem with eating late is that it can mess up your sleeping patterns. When you eat you provide your body with energy and therefore it makes it difficult to fall asleep as your body is digesting the food and giving you energy while you're trying to sleep. Lack of sleep hinders your bodies ability to repair after strenuous workouts and lose weight.

I am no scientist, but after doing some research and changing my lifestyle over the past few years I have picked up a few things.

Pens Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 11:35 AM
  #234
DoctrSteveBrule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens Junky View Post
Part of the problem with eating late at night is that when you're sleeping your bodies rate of digestion isn't as fast as it is when you're out and about during the day. In light of this, food that's consumed late at night is harder to digest and therefore can attribute to weight gain. That's why I suggested that if you eat late you should definitely make sure its something healthy and low in cals. If you're having a big bowl of cereal or carbs your body won't digest it properly as it takes your body upwards to 6 hours to digest something as simple as a piece of toast as it requires a lot of energy to do so. Another problem with eating late is that it can mess up your sleeping patterns. When you eat you provide your body with energy and therefore it makes it difficult to fall asleep as your body is digesting the food and giving you energy while you're trying to sleep. Lack of sleep hinders your bodies ability to repair after strenuous workouts and lose weight.

I am no scientist, but after doing some research and changing my lifestyle over the past few years I have picked up a few things.
well the stuff about eating after 8 pm or 7 pm or whatever time is actually false. Multiple research studies have dispelled the myth. Your body is still constantly burning calories while you sleep to circulate blood and other bodily functions so the idea that food just sits in your stomach and turns into fat isn't true.

But like you said, its important to eat healthy. Often times, the late night meals are what put people over the top and reduce the caloric deficit (if you're trying to lose weight). Meaning, people account for say 4-5 meals a day, if they're trying to lose weight, and count those calories. Then they get hungry at midnight and there is a new meal that is unaccounted for in their plan so that is what is causing them to gain weight. The point is, if you are counting calories and creating a good caloric deficit, it doesn't matter when those meals are consumed.

If you're interested, there are is plenty of info out there. http://www.uamshealth.com/?id=10937&sid=1

You should note, I'm not really trying to argue with anyone haha. I'm just passing on some info. All I'm saying is if you miss a meal and are hungry at midnight, there is no harm in having a good, healthy meal late at night. What works for some people doesn't work for everyone but from a physiological standpoint, its not dangerous.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 12:32 PM
  #235
Pens Junky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Fair enough... when I first got into my health kick about five years ago I found it was best to make sure that I got all my meals in before 8:00 pm and if anything I would have a protein shake after that. You are 100% correct, your body does continue to circulate blood and digest while you're sleeping but the rate of digestion isn't as quick as it is when you're active and burning calories. That's of course is pretty obvious. When you're sleeping your body is of course at rest.

Anyhow, if you ask me I would encourage people who are trying to lose weight to get their 5-6 meals in a couple hours before bed. I'd also suggest to get 90% of your grain/wheat based carbs in before 3-4:00... They take a long time to digest.

Pens Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:20 PM
  #236
Beauner
Registered User
 
Beauner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 7,693
vCash: 91
One thing that I have trouble with is chocolate. I love the stuff and need to have some everyday. I don't eat candy bars, and it's not like I'm downing whole packages of cookies a day, but I do have either a few cookies, some ice cream...basically something chocolate...per day. Besides that I never eat fast food and eat pretty healthy meals. I exercise almost every day too.

Is that terrible or can I get away with it?

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:27 PM
  #237
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 23,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauner View Post
One thing that I have trouble with is chocolate. I love the stuff and need to have some everyday. I don't eat candy bars, and it's not like I'm downing whole packages of cookies a day, but I do have either a few cookies, some ice cream...basically something chocolate...per day. Besides that I never eat fast food and eat pretty healthy meals. I exercise almost every day too.

Is that terrible or can I get away with it?
Chocolate is fine in moderation. If you have to eat it every day, try switching to dark chocolate bars. Something in the 55-70% range. The less processed, the better.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:33 PM
  #238
Beauner
Registered User
 
Beauner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 7,693
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Chocolate is fine in moderation. If you have to eat it every day, try switching to dark chocolate bars. Something in the 55-70% range. The less processed, the better.
Yeah I know dark can actually be pretty good for you- in moderation of course. Unfortunately I do have processed cookies from time to time so I should really cut that out.

I can definitely make those changes though. Thanks I wasn't sure if it was bad or not.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:46 PM
  #239
Pens Junky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
The darker the chocolate the better. There's actually some nutritional value in dark chocolate. Less processed the better as Shady said. Go to a health food store and I am sure they will sell the good stuff.

Pens Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:49 PM
  #240
invictus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,194
vCash: 500
Anyone here ever do that Body by Vi stuff?

Fortunately that craze has passed over where I live now. I remember for a while it seems I couldn't talk to anyone without them trying to get me to buy a month's supply, lol. I never looked much into it, but I imagine it was just random flavored protein shakes.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 03:48 PM
  #241
Pens Junky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Don't buy into the gimmicks... all those supplements are bogus.

Aside from protein and maybe glutamine and branch chain amino acids there is really no point.

Clean eating, lots of food based protein and moving weight is all you need.

Pens Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 11:09 AM
  #242
Jeremyisgood
Registered User
 
Jeremyisgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauner View Post
One thing that I have trouble with is chocolate. I love the stuff and need to have some everyday. I don't eat candy bars, and it's not like I'm downing whole packages of cookies a day, but I do have either a few cookies, some ice cream...basically something chocolate...per day. Besides that I never eat fast food and eat pretty healthy meals. I exercise almost every day too.

Is that terrible or can I get away with it?
Account for the calories, and it's fine. As long as you're hitting other macro marks. Think of it like a bank account. You want chocolate? Pay for it earlier in the day(through salad or just plain old fasting). I get that some people feel comfortable trying to do 5-6 meals pre-whatever time makes you feel good. But for me, it only came down to keeping my calories tracked(2100 a day). I do intermittent fasting, so as I lost 90 pounds, I ate probably around 1500 of my calories right before I went to bed. It doesn't really hurt you.

And lift!

Jeremyisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 11:20 AM
  #243
66-30-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,338
vCash: 500
Yesterday was day 1 of focus t25, my god it went by fast....I could get used to this! 5 days a week (Mon-Fri). My new goal is to lose 28 pounds. 208-180 in 10 weeks. If I still have the same looking belly then ill be confused as it would have been 4+ months of this and the YouTube results videos show everyone else shed so much off the belly. I know belly is last to go but 4 months of these programs should get rid of the belly easily. Insanity I went from 47 inch belly to 43 with a 38 waist.

66-30-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 01:30 PM
  #244
PensBandwagonerNo272
3 Beers 1 Cup
 
PensBandwagonerNo272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens Junky View Post
Don't buy into the gimmicks... all those supplements are bogus.

Aside from protein and maybe glutamine and branch chain amino acids there is really no point.

Clean eating, lots of food based protein and moving weight is all you need.
Even BCAA's are pretty much a waste of money.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 02:09 PM
  #245
Syrinx
HBK
 
Syrinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 8,024
vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens Junky View Post
The darker the chocolate the better. There's actually some nutritional value in dark chocolate. Less processed the better as Shady said. Go to a health food store and I am sure they will sell the good stuff.
This is true.

Dark chocolate is high in anti-oxidants, can harden tooth enamel (theobromine), has a low glycemic index and helps your body use insulin more effectively.

Eat it as bitter as you can take it. I like 85-90% pure.

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 02:15 PM
  #246
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 23,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx View Post
This is true.

Dark chocolate is high in anti-oxidants, can harden tooth enamel (theobromine), has a low glycemic index and helps your body use insulin more effectively.

Eat it as bitter as you can take it. I like 85-90% pure.
I like it in the 70-80 range. Not sure I've ever tried 90%.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 02:18 PM
  #247
johnniewalker
Registered User
 
johnniewalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Yesterday was day 1 of focus t25, my god it went by fast....I could get used to this! 5 days a week (Mon-Fri). My new goal is to lose 28 pounds. 208-180 in 10 weeks. If I still have the same looking belly then ill be confused as it would have been 4+ months of this and the YouTube results videos show everyone else shed so much off the belly. I know belly is last to go but 4 months of these programs should get rid of the belly easily. Insanity I went from 47 inch belly to 43 with a 38 waist.
Every body is different, and every person stores fat differently. It sounds like belly fat is your first-on, last-off spot. That is unfortunate, but you have been measuring and your waist size and belly size are decreasing, so just keep it up. As soon as you run out of fat to burn off in the other general fat-storing places, the belly fat should go more quickly.

johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 02:53 PM
  #248
Beauner
Registered User
 
Beauner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 7,693
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx View Post
This is true.

Dark chocolate is high in anti-oxidants, can harden tooth enamel (theobromine), has a low glycemic index and helps your body use insulin more effectively.

Eat it as bitter as you can take it. I like 85-90% pure.
Never knew the insulin part. 90% is crazy bitter, I couldn't stand that much. I usually go up to 75%

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 05:33 PM
  #249
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 33,500
vCash: 549
I just ordered whey protein that is cake batter flavored. What a world, huh?

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 11:20 PM
  #250
66-30-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
Every body is different, and every person stores fat differently. It sounds like belly fat is your first-on, last-off spot. That is unfortunate, but you have been measuring and your waist size and belly size are decreasing, so just keep it up. As soon as you run out of fat to burn off in the other general fat-storing places, the belly fat should go more quickly.
I bet i'll have an ugly looking 6 pack. Once i get fit i'll post a picture, untill then my fat ass will not meet a camera. How people can accept being fat is beyond me, i've ALWAYS hated it.

66-30-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.