HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Workout Thread Part II - I do 3 sets of nutrition

Old
08-06-2013, 11:26 PM
66-29-33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I just ordered whey protein that is cake batter flavored. What a world, huh?
Needs more icing.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 07:12 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Even BCAA's are pretty much a waste of money.
This is mostly true, but they do have a place for some. By that I am referring to 'fasted training'. Taking in some amino acids before a fasted training session can nullify the negative effects of fasted training and you can reap all of the positive ones. That being said, I do the poor man's route of just taking 10g of protein before any fasted training (usually early weekend training sessions). Addionally, BCAAs in powder form are rather disgusting, and I usually have a high tolerance for such, usually. If you want to train with a (virtually) empty stomach, 10g of protein beforehand is the way to go. So yeah, pretty much a waste IMO.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 09:25 AM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
I bet i'll have an ugly looking 6 pack. Once i get fit i'll post a picture, untill then my fat ass will not meet a camera. How people can accept being fat is beyond me, i've ALWAYS hated it.
Keep up the good work, man. You have a lot to be proud of, from what you've accomplished so far.

Not to you in particular, but to the thread in general, a lot of people have noted it but I just wanted to beat the dead horse that the most important thing when you get to where you want to be is that you learn how to keep your caloric intake balanced, or you just end up back where you were before.

I have been using a fitbit flex for a month and a half now to track my activity and my calorie burn, my weight, my sleep time and my caloric intake.

It's been very enlightening to see how many calories are in a lot of the things that I eat, and it makes me think twice before I eat some of the stuff I would've eaten in the past.

It's also been valuable in learning how much I can cheat here and there. For my age, height and weight, in order to continue cutting fat and trending towards my weight goal, I need to take in a certain number of calories per day. In my case, that number is 1500. That basically means a couple hundred calories for breakfast and a couple of 650 calorie meals.

However, that assumes that I am being sedentary. If I run for an hour after work and do a lot of walking around while I'm at work, that can add as much as 1000 additional calories of burn, which in turn means that I can eat a little bit more in my meals and have a couple snacks.

The old adage of "calories in < calories out = weight loss" is what I am operating under. I understand that there might be some other variables in that equation, and without being more vigilant about what my fat/protein/carbs ratio is, I could end up struggling to get my body fat percentage to where I want it, but I try to stick to this concept in general and I figure the general trend in the long-run will be that my weight settles where I want it to be.

I am hoping to lose 10 pounds and maintain approximately my current muscle mass. If I can do that, I should be a beast. Right now, I'm pretty happy with my physique, but want to trim off some fat. Hoping that this plan will do it.

For anyone that is interested in trying something similar, myfitnesspal is a website where you can track your food intake and your exercise. It can help you figure out the calories burned when you enter a particular exercise and duration, and has a large food database. You can also scan barcodes on food item packaging with a smartphone and it will allow you to enter how many servings you had to add it to your intake.

johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 12:34 PM
vikingGoalie

just wanted to throw in a plug for an app I got on my phone.
it's called runtastic (just search for that in the store on your phone) On my S3 it works very well. It google maps the route you take, logs your overall pace, elevation change and also maps how fast you were running in each part of your run.

Nice app anyone who is running or walking I'd recommend taking a look.
(no I'm not affiliated with them in anyway)

vikingGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 12:47 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
This is mostly true, but they do have a place for some. By that I am referring to 'fasted training'. Taking in some amino acids before a fasted training session can nullify the negative effects of fasted training and you can reap all of the positive ones. That being said, I do the poor man's route of just taking 10g of protein before any fasted training (usually early weekend training sessions). Addionally, BCAAs in powder form are rather disgusting, and I usually have a high tolerance for such, usually. If you want to train with a (virtually) empty stomach, 10g of protein beforehand is the way to go. So yeah, pretty much a waste IMO.
Yeah I can see them being somewhat helpful in that situation.

Just curious as to what benefits you get from fasted training?

I always make sure to eat my biggest meal of the day ~4-5 prior to training + a moderate snack ~30 mins before training to make sure I have my max energy of the day around that time + a quick boost directly before training + I won't start to feel hungry again until afterwards.

I just hate being hungry when I'm training. It's distracting and I feel light-headed.

Grip has always been a frustrating limiting factor for me with DLs so I finally went out and bought some straps yesterday. Only $8, what the hell. Kind of excited for my back routine later to see if they help. Maybe set some personal bests.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 12:49 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

4-5 hours** sorry for the double post can't edit

Old
08-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Pens Junky

Quote:
Grip has always been a frustrating limiting factor for me with DLs so I finally went out and bought some straps yesterday. Only $8, what the hell. Kind of excited for my back routine later to see if they help. Maybe set some personal bests.
I hear you on the straps but be careful... They aren't going to actually help your overall grip strength.

I find anything over 3 plates aside too heavy to do barehanded.

Just don't be one of those guys who uses straps on every exercise. I saw a kid using them on the bench the other day and I couldn't help but shake my head.

Pens Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Syrinx
Heh...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
I bet i'll have an ugly looking 6 pack. Once i get fit i'll post a picture, untill then my fat ass will not meet a camera. How people can accept being fat is beyond me, i've ALWAYS hated it.
I took a picture of fat me for putting up on bodybuilding dot com just so I'd see it every time I look at the days workout. I'm close to posting another one 37 lbs lighter with a lot more muscle - the new one you'll be able to see my face :-).

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 05:03 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Yeah I can see them being somewhat helpful in that situation.

Just curious as to what benefits you get from fasted training?
Here is a more technical response to your question: http://www.leangains.com/2010/09/fas...nsitivity.html

As for myself, I have had some fantastic sessions training after a 12-14 hour fast. This includes explosive power training at the gym and mtn biking. My schedule now only permits me to really do this on the mornings during the weekend, and lately I am only riding during those times.

For years I was of the mindset that I needed to continually be eating to 'keep my muscles in an anabolic state' and that anytime I felt hungry my muscles were wasting. The research though does not support that hypothesis. The best thing about intermittent fasting (IF) is that you can finally get used to the feeling (it's only a feeling) of being hungry and get your mind off of food for at least half of the waking day.

Old
08-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Jeremyisgood

I love fasting. It's really the only option for me when I'm cutting. Leangain is awesome.

Jeremyisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 02:11 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens Junky View Post
I hear you on the straps but be careful... They aren't going to actually help your overall grip strength.

I find anything over 3 plates aside too heavy to do barehanded.

Just don't be one of those guys who uses straps on every exercise. I saw a kid using them on the bench the other day and I couldn't help but shake my head.
That's where I was at too. Even ~2 1/2 plates aside it's starts slipping way before actual failure.

There's nothing wrong with setting the bar all the way down and "grip n ripping" on each rep either, which helps.

I actually forgot the straps before I went to the gym last night so I'll have to wait until next week to see how that goes

Old
08-08-2013, 02:13 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Here is a more technical response to your question: http://www.leangains.com/2010/09/fas...nsitivity.html

As for myself, I have had some fantastic sessions training after a 12-14 hour fast. This includes explosive power training at the gym and mtn biking. My schedule now only permits me to really do this on the mornings during the weekend, and lately I am only riding during those times.

For years I was of the mindset that I needed to continually be eating to 'keep my muscles in an anabolic state' and that anytime I felt hungry my muscles were wasting. The research though does not support that hypothesis. The best thing about intermittent fasting (IF) is that you can finally get used to the feeling (it's only a feeling) of being hungry and get your mind off of food for at least half of the waking day.
Yeah I've read about IF before and considered it.

I like being able to space my calories over the day though to avoid feeling hungry. Nothing to do with keeping up your metabolism or anything, I know that is not the case.

Old
08-15-2013, 04:10 PM
66-29-33

I've hit pound number 50. I'm now sitting at 203 instead of 253.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 06:03 PM
JWells16

I've never really bought the whole "processed foods are horrible!!!1" thing. Sure, some processed foods like canned... well, anything aren't ideal, but frozen vegetables and fruits aren't going to kill you. Frozen fruits and veggies are healthy, cheap, and they obviously last much longer than fruit that's sitting on your counter.

That being said, crash diets and Atkins/South Beach/etc. (are these even a thing anymore) won't work because there's no way you can sustain them. Diets need to be a lifestyle change. Eat smart, low fat foods, and you'll be fine. It cracks me up when I see some people buy 100 calorie snack packs when it takes 5 to even notice that you've eaten anything and then chase it with a salad that's covered in dressing that's loaded with fat. A lot of steaks are healthier than that.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 06:17 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
I've never really bought the whole "processed foods are horrible!!!1" thing. Sure, some processed foods like canned... well, anything aren't ideal, but frozen vegetables and fruits aren't going to kill you. Frozen fruits and veggies are healthy, cheap, and they obviously last much longer than fruit that's sitting on your counter.

That being said, crash diets and Atkins/South Beach/etc. (are these even a thing anymore) won't work because there's no way you can sustain them. Diets need to be a lifestyle change. Eat smart, low fat foods, and you'll be fine. It cracks me up when I see some people buy 100 calorie snack packs when it takes 5 to even notice that you've eaten anything and then chase it with a salad that's covered in dressing that's loaded with fat. A lot of steaks are healthier than that.
I don't think Frozen fruit and veggies are processed food. A lot of canned food is fine to (though obviously not canned fruit in sugar syrup). Processed food is stuff like candy, soft drinks, processed meats, potato chips, etc.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:13 PM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I don't think Frozen fruit and veggies are processed food. A lot of canned food is fine to (though obviously not canned fruit in sugar syrup). Processed food is stuff like candy, soft drinks, processed meats, potato chips, etc.
Yea, that's what I always assumed too.

Who knows, maybe the interweb lied to me! http://www.foodinsight.org/LinkClick...%3D&tabid=1398

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 04:47 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
Yea, that's what I always assumed too.

Who knows, maybe the interweb lied to me! http://www.foodinsight.org/LinkClick...%3D&tabid=1398
seems like they are processed but at the very low end of the processed spectrum. When people talk about processed food being bad for you I think they're mostly referring to things that have a lot of processing with a list of ingredients as long as your arm.

Old
08-16-2013, 07:21 AM
UnrealMachine

Anything that isn't 'raw' is processed. There is nothing inherently bad about processed food until they begin being saturated by artificial ingredients and/or sugar, oils, etc.

Old
08-16-2013, 12:19 PM
invictus

This seems sort of on-topic. I am upgrading my kitchen cookware after I move. I've had the same ****** Teflon coated stuff for years now. Big chunks are flaking off and it seems like a legit issue, haha.

I am looking at going all-stainless steel this round. Then, years later when I own my own home and want very nice things, I'll get copper.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 01:27 PM
redmosquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
This seems sort of on-topic. I am upgrading my kitchen cookware after I move. I've had the same ****** Teflon coated stuff for years now. Big chunks are flaking off and it seems like a legit issue, haha.

I am looking at going all-stainless steel this round. Then, years later when I own my own home and want very nice things, I'll get copper.
Invest in a good cast iron skillet too. Thing will last you a lifetime if you take care of it and you can do just about anything in it. My favorite piece of cookware, makes a mean steak.

redmosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 02:39 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmosquito View Post
Invest in a good cast iron skillet too. Thing will last you a lifetime if you take care of it and you can do just about anything in it. My favorite piece of cookware, makes a mean steak.
Ahh, yes. I forgot to mention that. I am just going to get a set of stainless steel off amazon and then one of those Lodge 12" pre-seasoned.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 02:39 PM
wej20

Love my skillet, the only way to cook steak.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Yeah teflon can be very harmful when it starts to flake off. The good thing about cooking with cast iron too is every time you cook with it you get a little extra iron added to your food.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 12:10 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

A grill is the only way to cook steak.

Come on fellas.

Old
08-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Snooki Stackhouse

Cast iron is better for lean steak like filet mignon.

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote