HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Workout Thread Part II - I do 3 sets of nutrition

Old
06-26-2013, 10:53 AM
CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
Well at 6'2, 186lbs, you're pretty lean. As someone else said, working out is only half the battle. We'd need to know what you're eating.

The most basic premise, and one I use for my weight loss/gain patients is this: To lose weight, you need to consume less calories than you burn. To gain weight, you need to consume more calories than you burn. And to maintain, you need to consume the same amount as you burn.

The first thing you need to do is figure out how many calories a day your body needs. There's tons of online TDEE calculators. I use very technical equations in my field, but most of the online ones are close. Be sure to add in your activity factor BTW. Let's just say that you require 2000kcal/day. For you to gain weight (muscle), you should try to eat 2500kcal/day. 3500kcal equals 1lb. So eating 500 more kcal/day over a week, should gain you 1lb per week. It would be helpful to keep a food 'diary', weigh your food, etc so you know just how much you are eating.

I know what you're thinking, 'but i don't want to gain weight!'. Fair enough. But you can't really add muscle without gaining a few lbs. And it won't be as much as you think, because the more lean muscle you have, the more fat you burn to maintain those muscles. So you may gain 10lbs of muscle, but lose 5lbs of fat. Make sense? Also, you want to eat very high protein. For you, probably somewhere around 140-180g/day.

It's hard to really lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, cause they require completely different approaches nutritionally. So I think you could either try cutting a few more lbs to lose your love handles, or you could try bulking, which should still help with the love handles, but should make your chest bigger (thus making your abs look smaller). I'd say for you, eat more, eat more protein, work out harder, and do some HIIT on your non-lifting days.
Thanks for the advice! I kinda get what you're saying. Not exactly eating super healthy though. It's not like I eat snacks throughout the day. I rarely ever eat snacks. I eat my salads and fruits every day. Although, I do get fast food 3-4 times a week. But, the fast food I get isn't always unhealthy though. Subway, Chipotle, usually. However, I do grab a burger or a hot dog sometimes. I don't eat unhealthy, but don't eat extremely healthy either.

And I'm fully aware I need to eat more, but what? I don't do a bad job. I take my protein shake after every workout and eat a tonnnnn of eggs. So, I get my protein.

And in the gym, I bust my hump for those 45 minutes. I really don't know how I'm losing weight.

If it helps, I spend a full day on each muscle group (Biceps, Triceps, and chest), usually doing 5 different exercises, 3 sets of 10 each exercise. I know it's not a good idea to do that, but I seriously want to bulk up. Oh, and I do abs every day I go to the gym.

I might give it 2-3 weeks if I don't see any more results, I'll try something else.

CraigAdamsnumber1fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:00 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
IWC Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan6866 View Post
This. The Body Building site is a great place to view workout options, but don't use their forum. A couple of the posters I encountered are quite rude. People here are friendlier, and enjoy hockey. What's not to love?!

Anyways, the last 2 years I was off and on at the gym, and didn't see anyyyyy results. However, this summer I've been going 4 times a week for about 45 minutes about each day to just work on upper body. Disappointing enough, I haven't seen much results in my chest or abs. Although, my arms are noticeably bigger. I'm 6'2 and I weigh 186. I had some love handles and a small gut when I started (I started about 2 months ago and weighed about 195). The only encouraging thing I guess is that my love handles are a bit less noticeable. But, my chest hasn't changed a whole lot. Am I doing something wrong?
BodyBuilding.com is the best site on earth for supplements, free workouts, etc. First of all.. I get my shipment in 1 day and usually get a free shaker or something, too. On top of that - I've taken so many workouts from them and applied it to how I work out in the gym.

One that is on there right now is how to workout w/o weights. Some girl trainer who worked with Bradley Cooper. The workout is intense. Great stuff.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I kinda get what you're saying. Not exactly eating super healthy though. It's not like I eat snacks throughout the day. I rarely ever eat snacks. I eat my salads and fruits every day. Although, I do get fast food 3-4 times a week. But, the fast food I get isn't always unhealthy though. Subway, Chipotle, usually. However, I do grab a burger or a hot dog sometimes. I don't eat unhealthy, but don't eat extremely healthy either.

And I'm fully aware I need to eat more, but what? I don't do a bad job. I take my protein shake after every workout and eat a tonnnnn of eggs. So, I get my protein.

And in the gym, I bust my hump for those 45 minutes. I really don't know how I'm losing weight.

If it helps, I spend a full day on each muscle group (Biceps, Triceps, and chest), usually doing 5 different exercises, 3 sets of 10 each exercise. I know it's not a good idea to do that, but I seriously want to bulk up. Oh, and I do abs every day I go to the gym.

I might give it 2-3 weeks if I don't see any more results, I'll try something else.
I'm a huge Men's Health guy. They have been my go to source since I was a teen and started training. Their advice has steered me right for twenty years now and I trust their advice over EVERYTHING else online, in print, etc

When I was younger I joined the Men's Health online personal trainer and saw tremendous gains:

mhpersonaltrainer.com

Basically, you choose from a variety of workouts, then input your reps, weight, etc and it adjusts your workouts each week. It keeps pushing you to get more and more out of each workout. It also has a list of thousands of demo exercises so you always know what form to follow.

They even have a great meal plan as well you can follow.

It's fool proof and if you follow the custom workouts they create for you and the meal plan, you will be shocked at the results.

I believe they even have a 30 day free trial, so give it a shot.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Terrapin

Quote:

It sounds like you're on the right track. Cole, Jiggy, or someone could probably answer this better than me. I'm still trying to cut weight, so I haven't really researched too much for bulking.

Try writing down everything you eat and drink for 3 days. There are a bunch of websites where you can input what you've eaten, and they'll give you the calories and all the other nutritional information. Most people severely underestimate their caloric intake. You may be the opposite, and overestimate how much you're taking in?

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:23 PM
CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
BodyBuilding.com is the best site on earth for supplements, free workouts, etc. First of all.. I get my shipment in 1 day and usually get a free shaker or something, too. On top of that - I've taken so many workouts from them and applied it to how I work out in the gym.

One that is on there right now is how to workout w/o weights. Some girl trainer who worked with Bradley Cooper. The workout is intense. Great stuff.
Noted for next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I'm a huge Men's Health guy. They have been my go to source since I was a teen and started training. Their advice has steered me right for twenty years now and I trust their advice over EVERYTHING else online, in print, etc

When I was younger I joined the Men's Health online personal trainer and saw tremendous gains:

mhpersonaltrainer.com

Basically, you choose from a variety of workouts, then input your reps, weight, etc and it adjusts your workouts each week. It keeps pushing you to get more and more out of each workout. It also has a list of thousands of demo exercises so you always know what form to follow.

They even have a great meal plan as well you can follow.

It's fool proof and if you follow the custom workouts they create for you and the meal plan, you will be shocked at the results.

I believe they even have a 30 day free trial, so give it a shot.
That sounds more organized compared to my plan. But, I rather not give up on 2 months of hard work. I'll give it another couple weeks, then I'll give it a shot.

Quote:
It sounds like you're on the right track. Cole, Jiggy, or someone could probably answer this better than me. I'm still trying to cut weight, so I haven't really researched too much for bulking.

Try writing down everything you eat and drink for 3 days. There are a bunch of websites where you can input what you've eaten, and they'll give you the calories and all the other nutritional information. Most people severely underestimate their caloric intake. You may be the opposite, and overestimate how much you're taking in?
Okay, I'll try that then. That should give me a better feel of what my actual intake is.

Thanks for the advice guys!

CraigAdamsnumber1fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:11 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
I'm a big fan of P90X.
Me too. Been doing it for around 3 years now and will never go back to a gym. I even got the recent P90X 2 but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I find for my age (39) and height (6 feet) it just suits me better aesthetically. I don't have the patience for a gym anymore and there's nothing better than getting home from work and not having to leave the house again to work out.

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Syrinx
RIP MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Me too. Been doing it for around 3 years now and will never go back to a gym. I even got the recent P90X 2 but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I find for my age (39) and height (6 feet) it just suits me better aesthetically. I don't have the patience for a gym anymore and there's nothing better than getting home from work and not having to leave the house again to work out.
I wish I could work out at home but I don't have the discipline . I need the gym for motivation - I love everything about the gym and would spend hours a day there were it not for life and responsibilities.

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:42 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
Move the scale to like 5 different spots and whatever the most consistent reading is... that is likely the true weight.

Scales do sometimes give a false reading in a certain spot, so that can happen. If you never moved the scale from that spot since you started your whole workout routine, then you can probably assume you were actually 13 pounds heavier when you started, too, and therefore you have still lost the same amount of weight.

I would also consider using waist circumference as a measure of progress, though, if I were you. Using a scale is tough, because as you get more fit, you will gain muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat, so there will come a time where your weight is not changing much despite a lot of effort, and it can be easy to get discouraged, but you will actually be losing inches off of your waist and such. You could technically lose an inch off your waist without gaining or losing any weight, and you'd look better and be healthier all the while.
Thanks, i'm just going by this new weight. Instead of 240, i changed it to 253 because where else did that 13 pounds go? i'm at 218 now but i havn't been working out lately, i got an extreme case of eczema, working out brings the sweat and burns my hands SO BAD! So i'm up to 35 pounds lost as of right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
I know I already quoted you on this, but go to GNC. They have the bottles I was referring to (I think you were) in boxes of 12 for like 23 dollars, and they're B1G1 1/2 off right now.

Around $35 for 24 isn't that. That drops them to about $1.50 each. Much better than the $2.89 they are individually.

Like I said, they're perfect to lose weight, too. Gives you a boost for Protein but they're very low in calories (about 150) so it can basically replace a whole meal for you.
I'll check it out but i like the muscle milk. I'm not worried about price, i'm overpaid at my job.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:49 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
I'm a big fan of P90X.
Yes, P90X is pretty good. I have bought P90, P90X, Insanity, now just ordered the challenge pack of Focus T-25. It's Focus T25 and comes with Shakeology, all for $180, i saved $90 doing it this way. I drink my calories alot. Protein shakes, Shakeology, Protein drink (muscle milk), hell even skim milk.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:23 AM
UnrealMachine

I've hit a mini slump at the gym recently since mtn bike season has picked up. Usually those two don't affect each other much, but I'm doing harder rides this year at a much tougher pace. Despite scaling back at the gym a little and upping my calories significantly, I'm having trouble just maintaining my weight. Hoping my body adjusts over the next couple of weeks. My rides have been great, but I'm lacking explosive power at the gym, among other things. If this continues I guess changes will be in order.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:51 PM
cassius

What are some good workouts to build up my upper and lower back?

cassius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:53 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
What are some good workouts to build up my upper and lower back?
Deadlifts, bent over rows, pull ups, lawnmowers, reverse flys

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:20 PM
66-29-33

Yes, i've reached the 40 pound mark in less then 6 weeks! Need to lose 10 more in the next 3 weeks and a few days and i've reached my goal of 50 in 9 weeks of Insanity, at this rate i'm losing lately i'll reach the 60 pound mark. Although i'm finding this a little puzzing, Wednesday i reached the 37 pound mark, 2 days later i lost 3 more. I skipped my workout yesterday, felt lazy and did it today, although my eating is pretty good. Ohwell, i'll take it.

253-213 currently.

I'm definatly going a lot harder at my workouts then i have before, i'm just DRIPPING with sweat once the warmups are done and it's bloody hot outside, could also be a factor.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Kovifan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Yes, i've reached the 40 pound mark in less then 6 weeks! Need to lose 10 more in the next 3 weeks and a few days and i've reached my goal of 50 in 9 weeks of Insanity, at this rate i'm losing lately i'll reach the 60 pound mark. Although i'm finding this a little puzzing, Wednesday i reached the 37 pound mark, 2 days later i lost 3 more. I skipped my workout yesterday, felt lazy and did it today, although my eating is pretty good. Ohwell, i'll take it.

253-213 currently.

I'm definatly going a lot harder at my workouts then i have before, i'm just DRIPPING with sweat once the warmups are done and it's bloody hot outside, could also be a factor.
That is awesome man congrats! Are you following the diet for Insanity or just doing your own thing?

I really have to start a work out. I use to weigh 170-180lbs. I got up to 200 with hockey. Once I left college/hockey I dropped back to 180. Now I work from home and I'm up to 230. I really got to take charge of my weight.

Kovifan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Syrinx
RIP MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post

253-213 currently.

Congrats! That is great for you and shows how hard you've been working.

I haven't been on the scale yet from my week in Ohio/PA so I'm afraid I'm back at 200 but I'm ready to go full raw except lean protein (fish/chicken) for 30 days. I may stay gluten free beyond that if I get good results.

Old
07-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Sjb141

Quote:

I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet, but to add on to what everyone else said...don't really waste time w/ biceps/triceps. Especially if gaining weight is your goal, and even more especially if you're spending a whole session on them. Pretty much a waste of time. You can always through in a couple of sets every once in awhile on arms, but not worth too much focus.

It's boring advice and it sucks when you're starting out but the best things you can be doing ate squats and dead lifts. At this point I pretty much spend my time doing core and back workouts.

Sjb141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:13 AM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjb141 View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet, but to add on to what everyone else said...don't really waste time w/ biceps/triceps. Especially if gaining weight is your goal, and even more especially if you're spending a whole session on them. Pretty much a waste of time. You can always through in a couple of sets every once in awhile on arms, but not worth too much focus.

It's boring advice and it sucks when you're starting out but the best things you can be doing ate squats and dead lifts. At this point I pretty much spend my time doing core and back workouts.
What you say makes sense, and a lot of people agree. But could you explain kinda why exactly? What I mean is, like why do people spend so much time on their back and legs? Is it because of the larger muscles/more of a full body workout thing? I'm not talking in terms of weight gain, but I see that a lot for weight loss, burning fat, getting toned, etc. I understand that working the bi's and tri's are small, isolated muscles, that aren't doing much for the rest of your body. But I could really care less about building up my back or quads. lol. Did I hit on why they're important, or am I really missing something? When I do my workouts, I find myself cutting corners on back lifts, but really focusing on stuff like chest, shoulders, arms, etc.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Sjb141

Quote:
What you say makes sense, and a lot of people agree. But could you explain kinda why exactly? What I mean is, like why do people spend so much time on their back and legs? Is it because of the larger muscles/more of a full body workout thing? I'm not talking in terms of weight gain, but I see that a lot for weight loss, burning fat, getting toned, etc. I understand that working the bi's and tri's are small, isolated muscles, that aren't doing much for the rest of your body. But I could really care less about building up my back or quads. lol. Did I hit on why they're important, or am I really missing something? When I do my workouts, I find myself cutting corners on back lifts, but really focusing on stuff like chest, shoulders, arms, etc.
O man haha. I'm on a phone so it's tough to get into it, but think of it like this. You have a car you want to build you focus on the engine. You don't dick around too much w/ what kind of rear view mirror you have.

Your back/core/legs is your engine and the majority of where your functional strength is. When you start focusing too much on the ancillary stuff 1)it leads to lots of wear/tear injuries 2)it doesn't particularly help you on the long run (especially arms which my boxing coach was adamant made you lose power) and most importantly 3)u end up kinda looking weird.

You'll also be surprised how much of an arm workout you can get when you're actually doing back.

Sjb141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:20 PM
cassius

Anyone on here into cycling? I have a road bike and I absolutely love the thing, but I am thinking about getting into cyclocross..

cassius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:11 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Anyone on here into cycling? I have a road bike and I absolutely love the thing, but I am thinking about getting into cyclocross..
I'm really big into mtn biking. Never tried cyclocross, but I know a few people who are good at it. I used to do some road biking, but once I did mtn biking for the first time I never looked back.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:57 PM
nhindian

I just became a coach for Beachbody, so if anyone is interested in getting into Insanity, P90x, Body Beast, or the like, let me know!

Shaun T, the guy from Insanity, also came out with a new workout called T25. 25 minutes of focused workouts that is actually more taxing than I thought it'd be. Throwing this into my day to supplement my bigger workouts.

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:33 PM
66-29-33

Has anyone heard of the elevation training mask 2.0? If so is it worth it for your workouts?

Old
07-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Syrinx
RIP MW

I got a good lesson in protein and the kinds of protein and carbs last night.

Types of Protein
  • Concentrate = Meal replacement - slow release - lasts 2-3 hours to get you to the next meal
  • Isolate = After workout - fast realease - helps repair muscle (along with glutamine)
  • Casein = While you sleep - extremely slow release - keeps your body from eating newly gained muscle mass

First - Is this accurate?

Second - I have seen that there is a problem with using casein protein. Can anyone expound on that and whether or not it should be a concern?

Types of Carbs
  • Complex - Take longer to break down so last to give you energy throughout a workout
  • Simple - Are absorbed quickly leaving you tired for the end of your workout

Second - What about bananas? I have seen opinions that they are both and am not sure who to believe. I have also seen that they are complex when newly ripe but turn into fructose (simple) after they've been yellow for a bit. Help!?

Old
07-12-2013, 08:40 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Curls for the girls. If a man can't lift his own weight repeatedly, what is he worth? An autographed Jan Hrdina stick?

This is how I do it (but only because Gary Roberts won't invite me to workout like supa-star James Neal).
If you don't lift your body weight ++ you won't build size.

Well you'll very quickly reach a plateau in which you don't actually have much size and since your weight stalls you will reach a point in which you are not working any more = no more muscle gains.

Unless you add weight. Weighted pull-ups FTW

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:45 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx View Post
I got a good lesson in protein and the kinds of protein and carbs last night.

Types of Protein
  • Concentrate = Meal replacement - slow release - lasts 2-3 hours to get you to the next meal
  • Isolate = After workout - fast realease - helps repair muscle (along with glutamine)
  • Casein = While you sleep - extremely slow release - keeps your body from eating newly gained muscle mass

Second - I have seen that there is a problem with using casein protein. Can anyone expound on that and whether or not it should be a concern?

Types of Carbs
  • Complex - Take longer to break down so last to give you energy throughout a workout
  • Simple - Are absorbed quickly leaving you tired for the end of your workout

Second - What about bananas? I have seen opinions that they are both and am not sure who to believe. I have also seen that they are complex when newly ripe but turn into fructose (simple) after they've been yellow for a bit. Help!?
What problem have you heard about using casein?

It's the only protein I use tbh, because it's slow-releasing --> extended protein release. In theory, since muscle heals relatively slowly (compared to the digestive/metabolic systems) that is beneficial and more protein will be used for that purpose as opposed to just digested.

The carbs thing is accurate. If you look up different ways to calculate the amount of carbs you should eat per day given your body weight, goals, activity level, etc., you would ideally only eat complex carbs to meet those macros.

I try to only eat oatmeal (the best, super slow absorbing --> in theory mostly used as energy plus it keeps you full longer plus sustained energy) and sweet potato (super nutritious).

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote