HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Are you happy that y can support underdog?

Old
08-10-2013, 04:17 AM
KHLJokers*

vCash: 500
Are you happy that y can support underdog?

For me its huge deal.. I feel sorry for US ans Canada because they wont never feel how to be underdog in international tournaments.. Finland will be always **** and win once in 20 years

KHLJokers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 06:05 AM
maximus tacitus
Buffström

vCash: 347
Being a Jets fan, Team Canada provides me with my only opportunity to not cheer an underdog.

This might be why I've always wished Finland success; well that, and Teppo Numminen is my favourite player of all time.

maximus tacitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 06:53 AM
JackSlater

I understand the thinking behind this, though I wouldn't suggest that people should feel sorry for Canadian fans. When supporting an NHL team, you always feel extremely happy when they win a championship. No NHL team ever comes close to having the massive talent edge that Canada has over the competition though. When Canada wins, there is a sense of relief more than a sense of happiness on many occasions.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHLJokers View Post
For me its huge deal.. I feel sorry for US ans Canada because they wont never feel how to be underdog in international tournaments.. Finland will be always **** and win once in 20 years
Uhhh there's a very solid case that for the majority of Winter Olympic games, the US were an underdog in more than a handful of situations, especially pre-2000s. This is compounded by the fact that the US in 1980 was a prime example of exactly what you are talking about. Now, not so much, however I remember when it wasn't always like this. In my lifetime I've never seen the US win an Olympics and this last one was quite a trip. The 90s, though the development of US was apparent with the emergence of players like Chelios, Modano, and the like, weren't our best years.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 03:39 AM
KHLJokers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
When Canada wins, there is a sense of relief more than a sense of happiness on many occasions.
This i believe. Anyway Canada plays always great hockey so you have at least something to watch.

Old
08-11-2013, 05:33 AM
Snippit

You're a bit harsh on your home country, no?

Relax, Finland is definitely a good team. I have them ranked fifth in the world. They've produced good talent and have been competitive in many tournaments.

No, I don't think they're in the same tier as CAN/US/RUS/SWE, so it would be less likely to win medals. Doesn't mean they're ****.

At international tournaments, I love cheering for the underdog. Unless the underdog is playing Canada

Snippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 08:01 AM
KHLJokers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
You're a bit harsh on your home country, no?
I think team Finland is a bit soft. Even Sweden is more physical at the moment. We need more north Canadian genes. Bigger and stronger players,,,

but i think that we are moving better direction:

Old
08-11-2013, 09:12 AM
petejudge

Considering that since 1980 Finland has 5 Olympic medals to USA's 2, I don't exactly know how you can consider Finland an underdog but think that USA fans have it easy. Especially since our last gold is considered to be a "miracle" and the only one aside from that was now 50+ years ago. Also, not that the IIHF world championships matter too much (for North Americans at least) but USA and Finland have the same amount of golds.

USA Hockey is constantly being underrated and disrespected in every WJC and every few years leading up to the Olympics by hockey analysts. I think there's a real sense that our country doesn't produce top-level talent.

Last edited by petejudge: 08-11-2013 at 09:18 AM.
petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 09:46 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHLJokers View Post
I think team Finland is a bit soft. Even Sweden is more physical at the moment. We need more north Canadian genes. Bigger and stronger players,,,

but i think that we are moving better direction:

I disagree of us being soft as a national team.. but Ilari is still great, hope he makes it in the big league.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote