HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jay McClement

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2013, 01:56 AM
  #1
abhanot
Registered User
 
abhanot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Jay McClement

DO NOT want to trade McClement. This thread is solely because I am interested to see where he is valued by the rest of HF:

- 1 year left on his contract, $1.5 million
- 17 points in 48 GP
- Led league in PK minutes
- Most significant and largest reason as to why Toronto PK went from 28th to 2nd (2011-2012 and 2012-2013 seasons)
- Finally, finished 6th in Selke voting.

What would you offer as a new contract? Good thinking from frankthetank91!


Last edited by abhanot: 06-21-2013 at 03:20 AM.
abhanot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 02:01 AM
  #2
frankthetank91
Registered User
 
frankthetank91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,686
vCash: 500
All I want to know is the value of his next contract because I wanna lock this guy up long term such a beauty.

frankthetank91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 02:06 AM
  #3
Paradise*
Individual thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waiverpeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhanot View Post
DO NOT want to trade McClement. This thread is solely because I am interested to see where he is valued by the rest of HF:

- 1 year left on his contract, $1.5 million
- 17 points in 48 GP
- Led league in PK minutes
- Most significant and largest reason as to why Toronto PK went from 28th to 2nd (2011-2012 and 2012-2013 seasons)
- Finally, finished 6th in Selke voting.
I'm sure the change in coaching philosophy had something to do with being better in the PK department.

Is this thread going to be used for future references by Leafs fans as to how great he is?

Paradise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 02:11 AM
  #4
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,476
vCash: 50
At most, Gaustad value at deadline for a cup contender needing a huge improvement on the PK. I would expect a bit less though.

Everyone knows he wants to play close to Toronto, which is why he took such a huge discount. They would be getting him purely as a rental to fit their PK specialist.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 02:44 AM
  #5
jhoops89
R.I.P. Thrashers
 
jhoops89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,442
vCash: 500
He's more valuble in Leaf Nation than his trade value says.

jhoops89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 03:20 AM
  #6
abhanot
Registered User
 
abhanot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Is this thread going to be used for future references by Leafs fans as to how great he is?
While the coaching change did make a difference, you can make all the coaching changes you want. But the on-ice product is what changes it.

abhanot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 06:01 AM
  #7
Novacain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,134
vCash: 500
As a Blues fan who loved loved loved Jay, he's the definition of a "too good at his role unless the other team overpays" player. The Blues were only willing to move him once we had a replacement (Sobotka) set AND Colorado gave up valuable pieces.

Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 06:30 AM
  #8
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show
 
Warden of the North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,935
vCash: 500
Hes a beauty. I hope re- signs for 3 years. Id be comfortable at going to 2.5

Warden of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 07:11 AM
  #9
Cor
OT Thread Leader
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,979
vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjack13 View Post
He's more valuble in Leaf Nation than his trade value says.
This 100%

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 07:23 AM
  #10
Freudian
Clearly deranged
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 40,076
vCash: 50
Below average third line center offensively, above average defensively. Good at faceoffs and excellent on the PK. He'll make $2M-$2.5M/year in free agency.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 07:28 AM
  #11
Sparksrus3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,709
vCash: 500
Jay who?

Sparksrus3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 07:43 AM
  #12
Terror91
Lets Do It.
 
Terror91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,923
vCash: 500
Loved Silent Jay. Would love him back on the Blues as well, but we don't always get that lucky.

Terror91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 07:48 AM
  #13
Fearless Leaf*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham and Lawrence
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Below average third line center offensively, above average defensively. Good at faceoffs and excellent on the PK. He'll make $2M-$2.5M/year in free agency.
Above average defensively is selling him short, infact too short.

He wasn't ranked 6th in selke voting this year for some unknown reason.

His defensive game is GREAT.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 07:50 AM
  #14
Freudian
Clearly deranged
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 40,076
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Above average defensively is selling him short, infact too short.

He wasn't ranked 6th in selke voting this year for some unknown reason.

His defensive game is GREAT.
I think the market he's in has more to do with the Selke voting than anything.

He's been playing that way for Blues and Avs before this year without getting the Selke votes.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 07:55 AM
  #15
nazembiggs*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think the market he's in has more to do with the Selke voting than anything.

He's been playing that way for Blues and Avs before this year without getting the Selke votes.
So are you trying to say the selke votes were not deserved ?

nazembiggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 07:55 AM
  #16
kingdok
Registered User
 
kingdok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think the market he's in has more to do with the Selke voting than anything.

He's been playing that way for Blues and Avs before this year without getting the Selke votes.
This. The guy never got a single Selke vote previously in his career. Did he suddenly become a god of defense play at 30 years old?

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 07:57 AM
  #17
Sparksrus3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,709
vCash: 500
Who is this jay guy?

Sparksrus3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:00 AM
  #18
Freudian
Clearly deranged
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 40,076
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazembiggs View Post
So are you trying to say the selke votes were not deserved ?
I'm saying he's been playing at this level for many years.

2010 he didn't get a single Selke vote (despite the Vote McClement for Selke campaign from Blues fans).

2011 he wasn't top 20 (can't find full results).

2012 he was 32nd.

He ended sixth in Selke voting because he plays in Toronto. He pretty much got an exception from the informal rule that you have to put up a lot of points to get a lot of Selke votes because of the massive Toronto media hype.

As for deserved or not. He probably deserved more votes in the past and less this year. He's a very solid defensive third center and one of the best in the league on the PK.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:50 AM
  #19
HarrisonFord
Mindawakebodyasleep
 
HarrisonFord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I'm sure the change in coaching philosophy had something to do with being better in the PK department.

Is this thread going to be used for future references by Leafs fans as to how great he is?
You should look at the PK stats on the teams he played on - before, during, and after he was on the team. They are ALWAYS higher during while he's on the team than before and after

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:58 AM
  #20
HarrisonFord
Mindawakebodyasleep
 
HarrisonFord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I'm saying he's been playing at this level for many years.

2010 he didn't get a single Selke vote (despite the Vote McClement for Selke campaign from Blues fans).

2011 he wasn't top 20 (can't find full results).

2012 he was 32nd.

He ended sixth in Selke voting because he plays in Toronto. He pretty much got an exception from the informal rule that you have to put up a lot of points to get a lot of Selke votes because of the massive Toronto media hype.

As for deserved or not. He probably deserved more votes in the past and less this year. He's a very solid defensive third center and one of the best in the league on the PK.
Quote:
The Frank J. Selke Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League forward who demonstrates the most skill in the defensive component of the game.

As with the Norris Trophy, the Selke Trophy really is a joke now. It's all a points thing

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:59 AM
  #21
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bracknell,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 24,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
You should look at the PK stats on the teams he played on - before, during, and after he was on the team. They are ALWAYS higher during while he's on the team than before and after
but to put the jump from 28th to 2nd all on him is a big stretch.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:00 AM
  #22
Weast
Ryan O'Money
 
Weast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Late first at the deadline from a contender. Not that Toronto would trade him though.

Weast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:59 AM
  #23
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,660
vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
As with the Norris Trophy, the Selke Trophy really is a joke now. It's all a points thing
When you've got a bunch of players with elite defensive skills you need a differentiating factor somewhere. McClement isn't the best defensive forward in the league but he's damn good in his role and I'd love to have him back at the Avs previously offered 2.75 x 3 years, if he makes any less than that after the hype he received in Toronto it will be criminal.

And yes, his Selke votes are largely the result of being in an environment like Toronto, don't kid yourself otherwise. He's was a monster for the Avs and Blues 3rd/4th lines and PK with almost no appreciation, hell I remember someone thinking he was the next Dupuis in Toronto.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:03 AM
  #24
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,454
vCash: 500
McClement is our most important player behind Kessel, Lupul, JVR, Dion, and Reimer.

Hopefully he sticks around for a long time. He's a fan favourite everywhere he goes, it seems. Guy plays the hardest forward minutes every game, he's an absolute beast.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:03 AM
  #25
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, Colorado
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,365
vCash: 500
Not the kind of guy whom the Leafs would ever entertain trading. Why on earth would they? He's their best defensive forward.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.