Notices

Jay Bouwmeester on Team Canada

Old
08-28-2013, 02:44 AM
flameaholic
FOREVER a Flame!

vCash: 500
Jay Bouwmeester on Team Canada

TSN is predicting Bouwmeester to make Team Canada. Looking back, do you think we got enough - Mark Cundari, Reto Berra, and Emile Poirer - for J-Bouw?

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 02:53 AM
herashak

vCash: 157
If bouw makes it, its because of chemistry with piet.

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 03:00 AM
MonahanTheMan
Pray for Flames

I can't see him making it other than on name recognition. He's too slow, poor defensively, and his offensive skills are overrated. We, as Flames fans, should know this.

MonahanTheMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 03:37 AM
FlamesFan18

vCash: 50
See how Cundari and Berra play this season first.

FlamesFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 03:59 AM
RaginStajan
Johnny Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonahanTheMan View Post
I can't see him making it other than on name recognition. He's too slow, poor defensively, and his offensive skills are overrated. We, as Flames fans, should know this.
He is actually very good. J-Bo is one of the faster Dmen in the league. He is not poor defensively, he constantly played against top lines every night. . Under the right circumstances, he is a very effective player. The only thing that made him overrated was his contract.

Last edited by RaginStajan: 08-28-2013 at 04:08 AM.
RaginStajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 05:11 AM
TherapyforGlencross
Regular HFer

In all honestly, I think JayBo will do wonders on international ice. It's not as physical as NHL ice, so that will be an advantage to him. He is a tremendous skater (which is a must, even Yzerman said it), very smart, and is quite good defensively. I really hope he makes it.

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross: 08-28-2013 at 05:17 AM.
TherapyforGlencross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 06:39 AM
Ynnek

vCash: 177
Quote:
If anything he makes it because of his skating. People really need to watch him play.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
You clearly never watched a Flames game in your life.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 09:17 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
I'm willing to see how the pieces got back perform. Its blatantly obvious though that Feaster is awful at assessing trade value.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I'm willing to see how the pieces got back perform. Its blatantly obvious though that Feaster is awful at assessing trade value.
Clearly not a true fan.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 09:29 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Didn't get enough? You have said multiple times that you would have given Jbo away for free as many "fans" of this team also said. There is such a short list of people who didn't think Jbo was bad that almost no one could criticize what Feaster got back.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 09:30 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Wat?

His best attribute is his skating and speed, he is also very very solid in his own zone.

Team Canada also wants to take players who play D responsibly and not all OFD's like Letang.

I can see him making it, its pathetic how badly Butter treated him. At least Hartley let him improve so we could get SOMETHING for him.

Either way the return was pretty paltry.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Anglesmith
Fancyman of Cornwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Wat?

His best attribute is his skating and speed, he is also very very solid in his own zone.
Not to mention Rob Kerr was never able to go an entire broadcast without mentioning "that smooth, deceptive stride" at least thrice. I think he might make it, but I don't think that this effects our evaluation of his return at the trade deadline in the slightest. We got two very good young players and a very good prospect. None of those guys are at their prime, yet. We should save "looking back" until they have. Either way, the package of three is better for us than Bouwmeester right now.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 10:02 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

JayBo was a beast under Hartley.. Really wish we would have canned Sutter earlier, never got to see Jays potential.

tmurfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 10:10 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
JayBo was a beast under Hartley.. Really wish we would have canned Sutter earlier, never got to see Jays potential.
Agreed. If things had been different Bouw could have been a real stud for us that whole time.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:10 AM
FlamesFinnishStarter
Fin Goalie Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
You clearly never watched a Flames game in your life.
I'm going to assume he was posting sarcastically, although, it was posted by MtM so who knows, anywho, Jbo is a beast and would be for Canada, it was his contract that was difficult to move, not the player himself.

FlamesFinnishStarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:18 AM
MVW

I bet Jbo makes it, we saw last season what a fantastic dman he was. I'm still mad we traded him over Gio, but I understand why that was decided.

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:23 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I bet Jbo makes it, we saw last season what a fantastic dman he was. I'm still mad we traded him over Gio, but I understand why that was decided.
I also suspect there was a good chance JBouw wasn't interested in re-signing with us.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:30 PM
tfong

He's gonna carry his curse T the Olympics! !!

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 12:50 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
TSN is predicting Bouwmeester to make Team Canada. Looking back, do you think we got enough - Mark Cundari, Reto Berra, and Emile Poirer - for J-Bouw?
Haha no. Even at the time it was a pretty crap trade. The alleged Detroit trade (2 high level prospects and a 2nd) probably would've been better, or if the Flames had been willing to eat a million or so in cap, they could've gotten a real return for him.

My main issue is Berra: an older non-NHL goalie who never had great stats, even in lower Euro leagues, was apparently a big deal to Feaster. I'd rather have had a 3rd round pick in place of him, to be honest.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Anglesmith
Fancyman of Cornwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Haha no. Even at the time it was a pretty crap trade. The alleged Detroit trade (2 high level prospects and a 2nd) probably would've been better, or if the Flames had been willing to eat a million or so in cap, they could've gotten a real return for him.
These are, as you say, allegations.

Quote:
My main issue is Berra: an older non-NHL goalie who never had great stats, even in lower Euro leagues, was apparently a big deal to Feaster. I'd rather have had a 3rd round pick in place of him, to be honest.
First of all, he isn't older at all. He is 26, which is about the time a lot of NHL goalies typically make their breakthrough. Also, you haven't seen him play yet.

Old
08-28-2013, 01:20 PM
FlamesFinnishStarter
Fin Goalie Factory

Quote:

Several scouts are very high on Berra, including Hartley who coached against him, said he was an absolute terror to play against, his numbers weren't great because he played on the absolute worst team in the league and made them respectable, you'd think Flames fan would understand what that might do to a goalies numbers.

FlamesFinnishStarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Gary83*

Quote:

I don't necessarily think it was solely Feaster. As mentioned above me I'm sure Hartley had a big say, I also imagine Weisbrod was in Feaster's ear about the players returned in the two big trades.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 01:44 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
First of all, he isn't older at all. He is 26, which is about the time a lot of NHL goalies typically make their breakthrough. Also, you haven't seen him play yet.
That is older for a guy who's never been anywhere near the NHL (or AHL). And no I haven't, but how about this: I'll bet you five bucks he falls on his ass rather than ending up a legit NHL starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFinnishStarter View Post
Several scouts are very high on Berra, including Hartley who coached against him, said he was an absolute terror to play against, his numbers weren't great because he played on the absolute worst team in the league and made them respectable, you'd think Flames fan would understand what that might do to a goalies numbers.
I've seen Kiprusoff have off games/weeks/seasons and people blame the team on him letting in soft goals, yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
I don't necessarily think it was solely Feaster. As mentioned above me I'm sure Hartley had a big say, I also imagine Weisbrod was in Feaster's ear about the players returned in the two big trades.
True. I just say Feaster as he's the GM, but it would've been primarily at the behest of his staff.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Anglesmith
Fancyman of Cornwood

Quote:
That is older for a guy who's never been anywhere near the NHL (or AHL). And no I haven't, but how about this: I'll bet you five bucks he falls on his ass rather than ending up a legit NHL starter.
He's been playing pro in a different league. Damien Brunner was another Swiss guy who waited just as long to make the transition. The only difference is Berra was actually in the Blues' system.

And no, to go along with Poirier and Cundari, I don't need a guy who has good odds to become a legit starter, which taking your bet would imply. He does have a chance, which is good enough to justify him as a solid throw-in to this deal. He's not the focal piece of the deal. The first round pick was, and adding Cundari could be an overlooked move for our defence. The best thing I can say about this deal is that the Flames are unafraid to make moves based on what their scouts see and where they see their needs, as opposed to looking up potential ratings on HF boards for answers and trying to gain the approval of bloggers and forum-members everywhere.