HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Oilers Are Destined to Great the Cup drought

Old
06-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Rodrigo
AKA Jose

vCash: 500
The Oilers Are Destined to Great the Cup drought

Hello Everyone,

I don't know if anyone here knows me but I am an Ottawa Senators fan but my Second Favorite Team is the Edmonton Oilers and they have always been my second favorite team. I am very new to HF Boards and have mainly posted on the Senators Board but anyways to relevance we go.

The Only thing that I really have to convey is that yes the Oilers have battled through alot of adversity the last 4 years. I know how disappointing this team has played the last 4+ years with lack of success, playoff appearances etc. It has been rough and I can only imagine how hard its been for the true Die Hards on this board. I'd be upset too.

But A Silver Lining is on a horizon and that Silver Lining will arrive probably by next season. Look at this team, you guys are overflowing with talent and especially on the forward front you guys have so many legit players including 3 #1 overall picks, Gagner, Eberle, MPS, Hall, Schultz, Nugent Hopkins and Yakupov. Hola. That right there is a hell of a dynasty that is going to compete on a yearly basis and like I said that should be as early as next year.

The one thing that this team really needs is defense and that is something that is going to be addressed this offseason i am sure. You already have some solid guys to build around in Schultz, Smid and the new guy Below for now. In this years draft I would hands down draft Darnell Nurse. Nurse no dought in my mind has potential to be like Chris Pronger or something. He is tall and can carry a defense. He is that good and is something the Oilers need. And in Free Agency or via trade the Oilers should definitly look to acquire 1 or 2 top 4 defenseman this offseason. If all of that gets solidified than this team is going to be Lethal and on a Devastating display on a nightly Basis.

And lets not forget we have a Phenominal New Coach in Dallas Eakins. And Eakins reminds me of Paul Maclean alot. He turns scraps into parts. And when I say that Paul Maclean for most of this season had an AHL Roster at his disposal cause Karlsson, Cowen, Spezza, Michalek, Latendresse, and Anderson were all injured for a long period of time. But Maclean got the best out of his players and really exploited the entire roster and not only got them into the playoffs this season but last season as well where I was shocked. And this ultimately made Paul Maclean the well deserving Coach of the Year! Eakins no doubt has the same potential. He has been working with an abysmal Toronto Marlies team that didn't have that much talent but he utilized the yeam and made full use out of his players, his first 2 years had nothing to show for it, but the last 2 years he has gotten both Marlies teams into the AHL Final and though they lost both times it doesn't matter. Dallas Eakins is that good, he could be the Joe Maddon of the NHL. It is going to be crazy to imagine him with a roster like this at his disposal.

You guys have a new GM now with a new Vision and Philosophy so that will be very Beneficial and I like how we revamped the front office now. And we possess a very deep front office. Time will tell how CM does as the GM but I am confident in him cause i trust Kevin Lowe.

Lastly I have a few questions for you Oiler fans,

-Will Gagner and Paajarvi get new long term contracts like Eberle and Hall.

- Will this team trade any of its promising youngsters,

- Do you guys think this team will make the playoffs.

Thanks so much and i am very excited about the future. This is Canadas team now. This is the team that is destined to break the 20 year Stanley Cup drought and gives this Country hope Long Term.

Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 06:23 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
We should try for 25 years.

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 06:24 PM
T-Funk

Gagner will get a longterm contract to keep his price down, Paajarvi has done nothing to warrant anything big or long ( that's what she said). Playoffs yes, Petry goes bye bye for better D. Also, do not trust Kevin Lowe.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 110
This thread brought a smile to my face. Not an ounce of vitriol. Good work!

1. Paajarvi needs only a qualifying offer, his contact will be short term. Gagner will have to accept les than $4M pet year or be traded.

2. The team won't trade its young talent acquired in the last few years.

3. MacT can make this team a playoff possibility with his moves this summer.

Jek McPorkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Connor McOilers
We have the precious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
This thread brought a smile to my face. Not an ounce of vitriol. Good work!

1. Paajarvi needs only a qualifying offer, his contact will be short term. Gagner will have to accept les than $4M pet year or be traded.

2. The team won't trade its young talent acquired in the last few years.

3. MacT can make this team a playoff possibility with his moves this summer.
Realistically though it will probably take at least 4.0 to get his signature on a contract, and a reasonably good term to get it that low. PRV I can't see providing any difficulties.

2. Hopefully not the key pieces. There's a few prospects that might enter the discussion though (Musil, maybe Marincin in the return is solid).

3. I think that depends a lot on what happens with Hemsky and Horcoff. If the return on them is roster players who can actually contribute something than yes I think we have a shot. If the return is picks/prospects then no probably not unless we do very well with free agency or other deals. I they both stay then it will be close, only because the good core players will continue to develop.

Connor McOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 01:16 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Well, they have a lot of work.to do, but they did do the single most important move and that was to skid that useless do-nothing Tambo. Can u imagine if the Oil had gone 5-7 the final 12 games and missed the playoffs by 4 points and place 10th. Tambo would still be employed and we'd be starting next season with the same roster + Klefbom.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 05:53 PM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Well, we both have something in common: Our favorite teams. Obviously Oilers are number 1 for me, the but Sens have always been number 2, and I really loved seeing their run this year; it was quite amazing. Not to mention that it was FUN to see one of my two teams perform way above expectations after injuries, etc.

Sens have a lot to look forward too, as well. Hopefully we see the Oilers and the Sens battle it out for the Stanley Cup soon. That would be a fantastic series, but then again, I am obviously biased (lol). Here's hoping, though.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote