HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXII: Rumours start to heat up.

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2013, 07:53 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six View Post
Woops, you're right. Smith was 51% while Turris was 49%. But Turris did take around 200 more faceoffs.
You might have gotten that impression because Turris is more hot and cold than Smith. Turris would go 8-1 in a game, and 0-12 the next game, while Smith was pretty consistently ~50% every single game.

Old
06-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
and in turn Smith played ~2 1/2 minutes of extra 5-on-5 time than he normally does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six View Post
In my opinion, he got caught in a bad stretch last season, and with other players doing the job this season there was really no need for Paulrus to put him back in.

tl;dr: With our injuries, Smith defensive role 5on5 was increased tremendously. We already have enough PKers, and Paul Maclean merely increased Smith's roles overall
HFSens making there presence known.

Thanks for the insight guys. I suppose its hard to argue with Paulrus (btw, hilarious), I didn't take home a Jack Adams recently.

It's looking like the Oilers are going to be hurting for PK minute munchers with 5 of their 8 8 top SH munchers (4th - Ryan Smuyth, 7th - Sam Gagner, and 6th - Anton Lander, who may be in the AHL) heading to market and the others (Horcoff, Belanger) not likely to be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
The only things I would add is to what I wrote about those two is that Smith really drives me crazy with how often he misses the net high and wide when he's coming down the wing on the rush, and the Greening would be a superstar if he actually hit people and used his size to bully people like he does once every ten games more consistently.
Do you still think Smith is limited offensively? Or that he bottomed out this year as well? Hard to compare because of the shortened season vs. the short turn around from Calder Cup --> NHL Season I suppose.

If he's good for 25 - 30 points a season and everything else he brings, I'm more the happy to have him on my 3rd line.

Last edited by Soli: 06-22-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old
06-22-2013, 08:21 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Fair enough.

For the record, I don't think Murray leaked that info either, but I wouldn't put it past having come out of our organization via some tertiary source. Our sports media in Ottawa is garbage, tabloid-quality tripe who don't respect the team they cover in any way, shape or form, they'd dig it out of some understaffer, I'm sure.
Bruce Garrioch,

Old
06-22-2013, 08:23 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
If Hemsky stays healthy for a full season I can see him find a second wind in Ottawa and tear it up.

However, that doesnt make me afraid to trade him. Even if I thought hed get back to 70 point seasons, all the best. But his role is no longer needed here.

If we are trading him for picks, id rather keep him tho
Exactly, and trading him to the eastern conference right thing to do.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:26 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Just based on history, Smith really hasn't been a great point producer at any stage of his career. It's just hard to see him being any more than a third line checker in terms of point production to be honest.

The only time when he looked like he could be more was during the 2011-2012 season before the All-star break when he looked like something clicked and he figured it out. Then he got his bell rung in San Jose right before the All-star break and suddenly it's like the aliens from Space Jam sucked away his offensive potential.

The guy still creates good chances, but like I said, the guy's ability to miss the net high and wide was amazing, and that's on a team with the lowest shooting % in the entire league this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
Smith is not going to light it up and put out big numbers, which is ok because that is not his job. My understanding is that Edmonton need a bit of sandpaper in the lineup, and needs to be tougher to play against. If the rumours are true, Smith will give you all of that and then some.

The big pro for him is toughness. The second big pro is that he never seems to take shifts off, and is a tough matchup for the other side. Also a great team guy.

The biggest con I see in his game is he tends to lose important D Zone faceoffs late in the game. He is normally decent at FO, but for some reason when the chips and down and other teams bring out their top guys he just never seems to get it done.
Thanks for the info on Smith!

I watched some Sens game too and felt that Smith fits a forth line role better than 3rd line.

He may not be up for that 3rd line shut down center at this stage of his career. He will be very useful with going against other team 2nd to 4th line and their centers on faceoff. And he may be available because he got limited upside?

I actually think the Sens has as tough or even a tougher time giving up Greening than Smith. Would Sens fans think the same?

Old
06-22-2013, 08:35 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILSLICK94 View Post
Bruce Garrioch,
That's what we think of him over here, too.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:41 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

The rumoured five trading partners and my guesses:
DET - Horcoff @ 50% cap for nothing much
TOR - Scrivens + Colborne for whatever EDM gets from DET
CBJ - Hemsky for the 28th pick
CAR - swapping first picks and EDM throws in CBJs 28th pick
OTT - Smith for Hemsky base

06-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Paralyzer008

I haven't seen many Leafs fans on here to comment, but I don't believe Joe Colborne is a guy you will get for cheap out of Toronto.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:52 PM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
So what would that deal look like Hemsky +Ducks 2nd for Smith And Greening ? I cant see us getting both for Hemmer.
I'd do the **** out of that trade.

You guys think that NJD would do something to the effect of:

Larsson+Henrique+2nd round for Gagner+Petry+7th?

Then sign one of Clowe/Horton/Clarkson/Bickell, grab a defenceman from the UFA market ala Scuderi/Ference/Leopold/Lydman/Clitsome, and maybe a fourth line center (Gordon, Smithson, Handzuz, Malholtra, Steckel) and third line agitator type ( LaRose, Lapierre, Raymond, Armstrong... maybe swing a trade for a Clutterbuck).

Hall-Henrique-Yakupov
Horton-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Smith-Greening
Eager-Gordon-Brown

Lydman-Larsson
Smid-Schultz
Fistric-Belov

Old
06-22-2013, 08:56 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I haven't seen many Leafs fans on here to comment, but I don't believe Joe Colborne is a guy you will get for cheap out of Toronto.
Colborne is a giant question mark. He has to be on the big league roster or press box because in order to go to AHL he has to clear waivers. So not surprised Leafs are trading him because he's not good enough to be a top 6 C and doesn't have the attributes to be a good bottom 6 C. He's still a project. Basically a #5 C (so fits the criteria Stauffer has been hinting about). I highly doubt the cost is going to that much. He's basically similar to Pitkicks value IMO

Old
06-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Joe Colborne is a massive question mark to me. Mediocre scorer at the AHL level and zilch at the NHL.

He looks not quite as good as MA Pouliot did at the same age and it was at that point most Oiler fans were getting ready to ditch him.

We are too enamored with size around here.
The Leafs were high enough on Colborne that they played him in games 6 and 7 for Tyler Bozak, even though they could have gone with someone more experienced or more of a defensive player.

I've seen him play, and I don't really want him because he plays a lazy game at times, but his hands are great and he does have size, potential to be a poor man's Joe Thornton.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:58 PM
soothsayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
I'd do the **** out of that trade.

You guys think that NJD would do something to the effect of:

Larsson+Henrique+2nd round for Gagner+Petry+7th?

Then sign one of Clowe/Horton/Clarkson/Bickell, grab a defenceman from the UFA market ala Scuderi/Ference/Leopold/Lydman/Clitsome, and maybe a fourth line center (Gordon, Smithson, Handzuz, Malholtra, Steckel) and third line agitator type ( LaRose, Lapierre, Raymond, Armstrong... maybe swing a trade for a Clutterbuck).

Hall-Henrique-Yakupov
Horton-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Smith-Greening
Eager-Gordon-Brown

Lydman-Larsson
Smid-Schultz
Fistric-Belov
God no. Maybe, and this is a BIG maybe, Larsson + 2nd for Gagner + Petry +7th.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:07 PM
BowDangles

Freidmann just said on CBC that Horcoff has been given permission to talk to teams about trading for him

Old
06-22-2013, 09:10 PM
ClydeGuy

Quote:
The Leafs were high enough on Colborne that they played him in games 6 and 7 for Tyler Bozak, even though they could have gone with someone more experienced or more of a defensive player.

I've seen him play, and I don't really want him because he plays a lazy game at times, but his hands are great and he does have size, potential to be a poor man's Joe Thornton.
If Colburne is acquired it's because Eakins thinks a lot of him. You can be sure MacT wouldn't go get him if Eakins didn't like him.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Kbs

Quote:
I think it's more of the case that he holds more value to the Leafs than he does to any other team. It doesn't help that we have basically nothing in the pipeline in terms of centres.

Basically, I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved if Nonis picks up another centre through free agency/trade. Otherwise, we'd be better off hanging onto him.

Without picking up a centre, our centres look like:

Kadri
Grabovski
Colborne
McClement

If we do pick up a centre, we'll probably need to move a centre in Colborne/Grabovski unless Nonis/Carlyle think it's ok to have McClement play LW more often.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeGuy View Post
If Colburne is acquired it's because Eakins thinks a lot of him. You can be sure MacT wouldn't go get him if Eakins didn't like him.
Agreed, same for Scrivens. Personally I wouldn't mind taking a flier on either as long as the price is fairly low.

As for Ottawa, IMO Smith would be just what the Dr. ordered for this team. Getting him and a few other big/bruising bodies that can play would be huge for our team going forward.

06-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Timo

Here's my official prediction for the next 8 days;

1. Hemsky to Ottawa for Smith (base trade, add or subtract)
2. Horcoff to Detroit for a pick (2nd or 3rd round)
3. 7th overall pick + Pick from Detroint to Carolina for 5th overall pick.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Paralyzer008

I also know a lot of fans have liked a Hemsky for Smith deal, but couldn't the Sens just wait for UFA and sign a guy on RW like Hemsky for cheaper? Briere? There are guys.

I am thinking Hemsky to NSH for one of Blum/Spaling and a draft pick, and honestly I'd rather keep Hemsky then make that trade.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:26 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
I also know a lot of fans have liked a Hemsky for Smith deal, but couldn't the Sens just wait for UFA and sign a guy on RW like Hemsky for cheaper? Briere? There are guys.

I am thinking Hemsky to NSH for one of Blum/Spaling and a draft pick, and honestly I'd rather keep Hemsky then make that trade.
You can't bank on being the top team on the list of 20 that will be after players like that. Trades are a guaranteed way of getting what you want. Smith isn't a huge price for them to pay.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
You can't bank on being the top team on the list of 20 that will be after players like that. Trades are a guaranteed way of getting what you want. Smith isn't a huge price for them to pay.
Only 43M on the cap, could go for any of Briere/Iginla/Bouchard/Horton/Ryder/Clarkson/Dupuis/Brunner/Boyes who are all comparable to Hemsky, all they need is an upgrade on Latendresse.

You could use the cap space they have and say "It won't matter if they grab Hemsky", which is true and fits Stauffer's musings that a mechanism may be in place where they don't need to retain salary, but will Ottawa deal Zach Smith? I don't know, good guy in the dressing room and tough as well.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Roof Daddy

The Hemsky for Smith talk has been floating around the main trade board for a while and both Sens and Oilers fans seemed in agreement. I like it, and agree he's better suited as a 4th line C. As he matures he could become a bit like Greg Campbell for the B's. IMO, that's the best 4th line C in the league. I'd be OK with a 4th line of Eager-Smith-Brown, with Eags being the wild card (but all reports from OKC had him responding positively to his demotion).

Can't wait.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:33 PM
doubledown99

Here is a best guess looking at both the Leafs and Oilers roster.

Peckham + Belanger + Mid round pick

For

Scrivens + Colborne

Neither Leafs player holds much value. Colborne may hold low 2nd rd value (in most years - in a draft as deep as this I don't see anybody willing to move it for him). Scrivens would maybe go for a 4th. Their are plenty goalies that are better available as UFA. Look at last year and goalies like Dan Ellis were signing for cheap all over the place. Oil could just as easily sign a comparable or better goalie for free. He also will be UFA after next season.

Peckham is a tough, gritty , mean dman that is a #6 who is good on PK. Leafs may lose Kostka and Peckham could replace him. Belanger gives them a #4 C that is good on faceoff dot. They will likely lose Bozak who was great on draws. While Belanger is nowhere near as good, he would provide Leafs insurance (in the faceoff dot). He may also be better suited under Carlyle and his system than ours (...Belanger was good in PHX under Tippet).

Old
06-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Freidmann just said on CBC that Horcoff has been given permission to talk to teams about trading for him
To me, this screams that they can't find a good trade and we're likely looking at buyout.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:35 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Joe Colborne is a massive question mark to me. Mediocre scorer at the AHL level and zilch at the NHL.

He looks not quite as good as MA Pouliot did at the same age and it was at that point most Oiler fans were getting ready to ditch him.

We are too enamored with size around here.
-Had a high pedigree in junior
-Believe he's a "Western" Kid
-this would be his 3rd team,
-Chad Kilger type never put it together YET

Guy you take a chance on hope he blossoms I guess

Old
06-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Paralyzer008

I should also say, I'd be fine with it if we got Joe Colborne for cheap, I'm just saying I think he has more value than HF is giving him.

Closed Thread