HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Game 6 Sabres vs Stars

Old
06-19-2013, 05:43 PM
tanker12471

vCash: 500
Game 6 Sabres vs Stars

it has been 14 years since the 3ot goal by brett hull, what did you think when you saw the goal?

tanker12471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 03:30 AM
the edler
Cory Schneider fan

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:12 AM
optimus2861

My thought, the moment I saw the goal: "That's the end of the skate-toe-in-crease-no-goal rule."

That was a ridiculous hockey season to watch. Everyone hated that rule, and it was fitting that the final goal of the season, the goal that won the Stanley Cup, should not have counted by the standards the NHL had used all year long. At the moment it happened, it was instantly obvious the league would never dare call off that goal, tell all the Stars to get back on the bench and that the game had to continue.

Good for the Stars, though. Nice to see guys like Modano & Belfour hoist the Cup.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:22 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
I wish I could find a clip of it, but I remember early the following season on Coach's Corner, Don Cherry showed a goal from that same season in a game between Phoenix and St. Louis that was scored under the same circumstances and stood.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 09:35 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
My thought, the moment I saw the goal: "That's the end of the skate-toe-in-crease-no-goal rule."

That was a ridiculous hockey season to watch. Everyone hated that rule, and it was fitting that the final goal of the season, the goal that won the Stanley Cup, should not have counted by the standards the NHL had used all year long
The rule (as it was written at the time) was put in place in 1991. The goal was legal by the standards the NHL used all year and ALL DECADE and there were other goals allowed under the same circumstances.

Quote:
. At the moment it happened, it was instantly obvious the league would never dare call off that goal, tell all the Stars to get back on the bench and that the game had to continue.
No, it was instantly obvious that Sabres fans would (and did/do to thi day) complain that they were "robbed" of the Cup, even though their team was down 3-2 in the Finals and being soundly outplayed in that game 6 overtime. If you disallow that goal (despite the fact that it's legal by the rules), and play continues as it did, it's highly likely Dallas still wins. Moreover, Dallas players would be angry at the call if it did happen, likely increasing the chances of a Dallas goal.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Big Phil

The NHL's worst nightmare!

You know, the league was going to change this coming into the 1999-'00 season anyway. I remember an interview with Bettman where he said the NHL was looking into reverting back to the old way. This was before the postseason I believe even. But that goal sealed it. It is ironic how Lindy Ruff is now a coach of Dallas considering everything.

This was a rule that was enforced starting in the 1996-'97 season. It was not a rule that worked out well on the ice. Yet despite the obvious emotion that was being sucked out of the game the NHL kept the rule. Brian Burke was the biggest supporter of the rule (he was doing Shanahan's current job then) and he kept maintaining that the players would get used to it eventually. Despite everyone and their mother knowing the rule was horrible for the game he insisted it was still working. The GMs didn't help either by allowing it to stay in the game. I would also suspect the NHLPA would have been able to have some input. Yet no one wanted to admit they were wrong, especially Burke. I've never forgotten that with Burke even to this day. That was probably the first time where I noticed that the NHL had an issue with their on-ice product and did NOTHING to fix it. Thank you Brett Hull.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:18 PM
tjcurrie

Definitely a goal.

The rule was to make it black and white for the refs so they could protect the goalies - 2nd player in crease in any way before puck enters = no goal. This goal was completely different. Rebound off Hasek that Hull himself kicks to his stick (then yes steps in) and bangs home = goal.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:45 PM
CaptPantalones

first reaction: yelled it wasnt a goal
second reaction: my couch ended up on my front lawn

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:56 PM
tony d
Real Super Mario

Remember staying up to watch this game, hard to believe it's been 14 years. What's harder to believe is that Buffalo's coach at that time is now coaching Dallas.

06-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Fresh Prince
Go Red Wings!

I don't think the Sabres would have won the series even if they win that game.

And that goal further extended a Dallas team's dominance over a Buffalo team in a pro-sport finals to 3-0 (the Cowboys beating the Bills in consecutive Super Bowls). If only Buffalo had a NBA team...

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

vCash: 50
I understand the need for a black and white rule though. It seems that the goalie interference call nowadays is too subjective. In the dying seconds of the 3rd period, it seems anyone can be in the crease pushing the goalie and it rarely gets called, refs being too afraid to deny a goal that would tie the game.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote