HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Fighters to receive two-minute penalties for taking helmets off prior to fight.

Old
07-05-2013, 10:54 PM
jayze25

vCash: 500
how about:

No, we won't rule fighting out, but now, it will be illegal to fight with both skates on the ice, a player connecting a hit while having both skates touching the ice will have a game misconduct, fight will be subject to review by the War room.

Also, prior to the fight, Coach will have to announce to the refs which player is going to fight or will be fined and called a bench penalty.

NHL is so stupid. Rule them out or let them fight for god's sake.

jayze25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:36 AM
MonsterSurge

How about they just let them fight? I don't think that I have seen more than just a couple of guys hit their head on the ice. I HAVE seen many guys break their hands off of helmets though.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
If it causes "fans" like you to walk away from the game, then that's just an added bonus.

You mean the 90+% of fans who want fighting to stay in the game?

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:29 AM
westernhome

watching it when guys take off their helmets before a fight that one feels a little more appreciation for the class of the players, makes them seem more honorable to the code

like they are saying, "we'll take off our helmets and decide this like honorable men and not leave it to cheesy broken knuckles on plastic or straps not coming undone changing the outcome"

stupidest rule idea ever

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Is it official? If so, that is BS.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Frank Booth239*

A completely gutless attempt to phase out fighting by the NHL, instead of grabbing their balls and just doing it.

You know it's going to happen eventually anyway, what with how spineless our entire society is becoming.

Frank Booth239* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:04 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan20 View Post
And so it begins.

Fighting is beginning to be eliminated...
Fighting is already a joke most of the time with the staged wwf fights.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 02:03 PM
westernhome

it's been bad enough recently with linesmen interfering with the flow of emotion of a game by jumping in and stopping fights before they start, even game to game the officiating is different, sometimes they do it right and let the guys get it over with, other times they are jumping in way early and penalizing guys before anything even starts

the path the league is on is disappointing

Old
07-21-2013, 03:34 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Make visors mandatory then make it illegal to remove them during a fight. Totally illogical.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Cutielemon07
Chara is Stuck!

vCash: 527
I've had concussions from fighting, never broken hands/fingers/knuckles etc.And I pretty much had to wear a visor because I'm a glasses-wearer and was a prescription visor, I took it all off for fighting though and went blind! Whoo! *ahem*
I love hockey and fighting is a part of the game. Just because you have goody-goody's like Patrice 'only been in two fights my whole NHL career' Bergeron (whom I love as a player BTW), doesn't mean players still don't like to fight!

Sissy rule, I spit on you!

Cutielemon07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 06:04 AM
zach1arson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
So, they should just forgoe their health for the pleasure of the fans? Sorry but that's wrong.
You ever think about the guys who are only in the league because they can fight, and hit? Fighting is based on the premise that hockey is a violent game, so the players took it upon themselves to provide a disincentive for cheapshots, by having to pay for your actions in a way. Also, what makes skill players fun to watch, is that in the midst of all the checking they can work dangle through defenders and score goals. Removing the fighting in hockey will lead to less and less body play, its just going to be a skills competition out there. Go watch the swedish league or something.

zach1arson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:59 AM
BobbyAwe

If anything, there should be an extra penalty for not taking your helmet off.

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 09:55 AM
txpd

lets clear something up. 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 fights in the nhl are a result of either a cheap shot or a physical battle that escalates to a fight. the wide vast majority of fights in the nhl are about game momentum. a team gives up a couple of goals on home ice in a scoreless game and suddenly there is a fight. this isn't a surprise.

reality is if the only fights in nhl games were the fights they HAVE to have to stand up for a teammate or keep from escalating to stick fighting, there would be 6 or 8 fights per team per season.

the fights you see in other sports are the fights you would still see in the nhl. what you would not see is the fight to get the crowd in the game and create some energy.

oh...and this rule? nobody here is ever going to notice it.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:11 PM
McDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
lets clear something up. 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 fights in the nhl are a result of either a cheap shot or a physical battle that escalates to a fight. the wide vast majority of fights in the nhl are about game momentum. a team gives up a couple of goals on home ice in a scoreless game and suddenly there is a fight. this isn't a surprise.
This. Hockey fighting has jumped the shark.

The scrums in front of the net are ridiculous. Guys start

Having no fighting in the game is not going to leave teams without recourse when someone cheap-shots a player. It just means if a guy pulls some dirt sh-t, he's got to worry about getting crunched into the boards or taking a nasty elbow. Personally I'd rather see retribution for dirty plays happen like that, within the flow of the game, than see a BS staged fight.

Besides, it's pretty rare that the guy who made the dirty hit is going to be the guy who gets checked on it by having to fight someone. That's an old-time hockey thing that doesn't really exist anymore. Look at Sean Avery, look at Matt Cooke 1.0... these are guys who built up a huge agitator/pest/dirty rep, but they weren't having to square up with guys to "pay" for their actions.

Guys will still have to answer for dirty plays, and I'd wager the game will be more exciting.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:14 PM
McDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach1arson View Post
You ever think about the guys who are only in the league because they can fight, and hit?
Fighting and hitting don't go together like that. A lot of the guys who are in the league because they can fight aren't fast enough to be effective in a checking role. Honestly, they just don't belong in the league. Let them play in the AHL where they can be effective hockey players.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Can't wait to have all fights look like this in the future!

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Cutielemon07
Chara is Stuck!

vCash: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Sandwiches View Post

That's just too funny!

Guy1: Let's fight!
Guy2: We can't take our helmet's off!
Guy1: (takes Guy2's helmet off) There you go. Now let me just adjust my helmet for you to take it off for me
Guy2: It's okay, I'll take it off now. (takes Guy1's helmet off)
Guy1: Thanks. Where were we?
Guy2: (punches Guy1 and the fight resumes)

Cutielemon07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:15 PM
hockeydude1
More Cowbell!

So they have to time taking gloves off and helmets off at same time now...yikes

hockeydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:41 PM
westernhome

Quote:

nice, these guys get it, nice to see some sportsmanship, and a good fight too

Old
07-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post

That's 25/30 who are former players, and they run the gamut as far as when they played. Lou Lamoriello played back in the early 1960s, and Steve Yzerman just retired a few years ago. All these other guys played sometime in between, whether in the minors riding the buses or as NHL All-Stars.

So if the NHL GMs, 80% of whom have a hell of a lot of experience in the game, decide that steps are going to be taken to phase out fighting, then I guess questioning their intestinal fortitude is a bad idea. I'd venture to say that someone who played 1,000 NHL games knows a hell of a lot more about the realities of both life in hockey and life after hockey than someone whose toughest physical activity is carrying two beers up a flight of stairs at a game.

But what would I know...some of the people on here clearly know more about toughness than Craig MacTavish playing 1,300 total games without a helmet.
This is verging on an appeal to authority fallacy. Of the people listed, at first glance only Yzerman and Wilson played at a very high level. I'd also wager that not a lot of the people listed played 1,000+ games in the NHL, I know Bryan Murray hasn't, that's for sure. Even if they had, that does not make their opinion implicitly valid and yours (or mine) impicitly invalid. They have to be viewed against various things...for the most part the NHL is extremely slow to change, players resist change most of all because of traditionalist values, whether those values are an appeal to "macho, real hockey" status or just liking things the way they are. There is also no sign that they want to remove fighting. The visor rule basically happened because of the Rangers player's horrific injury, just like the concussion stuff happened because of Crosby (for the most part).

Lastly, I'd really, really, really like to have any of these guys interviewed in isolation to see what they think. I'm not sure that our GM, for example, would want a bubble-wrapped NHL when he's got guys like Cowen, Smith, Neil et al. there to lay the pain.
Let's not forget that the NHLPA needs to approve this as well. They well might but we'll see. We haven't seen the end of fighting though, and that's a good thing overall.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:40 PM
txpd

there will never be a penalty great enough to eliminate fighting from the nhl. just as there is fighting in the other sports when it is justified. question will be how many different reason for fighting will make it worth the penalty.

right now trying to boost a down or apathetic bench by losing a fight to a bigger guy is a good reason to fight. if you are a good player or a top 4 defenseman, getting kicked out of the game is too big of a price to pay. after a cheap shot on your star, any player would pay that price

a lot of those that like fighting don't care so much what the cause of the fight is. they just want to see good fighting and as many as they can get.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientOne View Post
Per LeBrun's twitter. Still prending approval from the NHL BoG.

So...

1) Penalize players for removing their helmets when fighting.
2) Penalize players for starting fights while wearing visors.
3) Grandfather in visors for all NHL players.
In other words, a weasily way of eliminating fighting from the game. NHL could have easily instituted #3, while rescinding #2 and not even considering the farcical #1.

War's over. The weenies in the media and the stands have won. This is now the castrated game they and their hockey mothers' always wanted.

The NHLPA (and a vetoing of this nonsense) is the last hope. One thing is certain: the players (read: those who's profession it is) don't want this crap. Their braintrust may very well go along, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDugan View Post
Having no fighting in the game is not going to leave teams without recourse when someone cheap-shots a player. It just means if a guy pulls some dirt sh-t, he's got to worry about getting crunched into the boards or taking a nasty elbow....
Which is fine, as you go on to suggest, though I personally prefer having the recourse of a nasty elbow OR dropping the gloves to even the score, as has been the case in the NHL since the beginning of time right up until the Kinder and Gentler Age of Bettman and his ilk.

What's not fine is when the inability to drop the gloves results in a stickblade to the grill or mid-section, a stronger possibility moving forward, IMO. That's the "progress" we may see, care of the kinder and gentler generation of hockey fans and media types who just LOVE to stick their fingers in the game and over-regulate. And, of course, ownership. Make no mistake: this is not, as is suggested elsewhere, about enlightened former players turned modern day GMs "knowing better and caring about" players' safety. It is about billionaires wanting to protect their investments. Nothing more.

Just my personal opinion (and contempt for the aforementioned types).

Last edited by Trottier: 07-27-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
In other words, a weasily way of eliminating fighting from the game.

War's over. The weenies in the media and the stands have won. This is now the castrated game they and their hockey mothers' always wanted.

The NHLPA is the last hope. One thing is certain: the players (read: those who's profession it is) don't want this crap.

Which is fine, as you go on to suggest, though I personally prefer having the recourse of a nasty elbow OR dropping the gloves to even the score, as has been the case in the NHL since the beginning of time right up until the Kinder and Gentler Age of Bettman and his ilk.

What's not fine is when the inability to drop the gloves results in a stickblade to his grill or mid-section, a stronger possibility moving forward, IMO. That's "progress", care of the kinder and gentler generation of tee-ball, er hockey fans and media types who just LOVE to stick their fingers in the game and over-regulate.

Just my personal opinion (and contempt for the aforementioned types).
Glad to see you posting, Trottier! One of the best on here!

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:13 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:

Not only is this hilarious, but it's a great scrap too. Way to go junior B kids.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:24 AM
puckeater

This will turn into a competition to see who will knock who's bucket off first and get to throwing fists of fury before the other guy. Not because it will be entertaining, but because it will show the NHL to be silly in it's endeavours to backpedal after letting itself become a quasi boxing match to compete with cage fighting. Not sure what the best answer to this dilemma is but surely there must be a better one out there.

puckeater is offline   Reply With Quote