HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo Re-Signs Jhonas Enroth [2 Year deal/$1,250,000 AAV]

Old
06-20-2013, 10:19 AM
caley

vCash: 500
Buffalo Re-Signs Jhonas Enroth [2 Year deal/$1,250,000 AAV]

per Sabres team twitter

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/st...34837613969409
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS: The Buffalo Sabres have signed goaltender Jhonas Enroth to a two-year contract.
First reply is "So Miller out?" which one has to wonder if it might be the case.

Last edited by caley: 06-20-2013 at 10:52 AM.
caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Miller to St. Louis for Halak and Joel Edmundson.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:25 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
per Sabres team twitter

First reply is "So Miller out?" which one has to wonder if it might be the case.
Huh...Enroth signing is an indication that Miller's gone now? Regier may move him, but I don't see what re-signing our RFA back-up has to do with it.

Anyway, I'm guessing around 1.5m per.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Esq.

Quote:
per Sabres team twitter

I mean, Miller might be leaving town, but I don't think Enroth is really a suitable replacement. Enroth has been okay, but he hasn't shown that he's really ready to be a starter.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:31 AM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Huh...Enroth signing is an indication that Miller's gone now? Regier may move him, but I don't see what re-signing our RFA back-up has to do with it.

Anyway, I'm guessing around 1.5m per.
With how much the team seems to covet Matt Hackett (Acquiring him in the Pominville) deal, it would seem that if Buffalo were planning on keeping Miller, they would probably have let Enroth go/traded him. Re-signing him, keeping Miller and leaving Hackett in the AHL probably wouldn't be a great idea, hence why the Enroth re-signing leads to thoughts that Miller is headed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I mean, Miller might be leaving town, but I don't think Enroth is really a suitable replacement. Enroth has been okay, but he hasn't shown that he's really ready to be a starter.
Enroth looked every bit like a #1 goalie in the WHCs this offseason, I have to imagine Swedish teams made overtures to him about coming back and taking the #1 job, so for him to re-sign in Buffalo, I'd imagine promises were made about a greatly-increased schedule.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Good for the Sabres and Enroth

I really think the Sabres will try to move Miller this off season

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Accelleratii

The amount will be telling.

Accelleratii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:36 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
With how much the team seems to covet Matt Hackett (Acquiring him in the Pominville) deal, it would seem that if Buffalo were planning on keeping Miller, they would probably have let Enroth go/traded him. Re-signing him, keeping Miller and leaving Hackett in the AHL probably wouldn't be a great idea, hence why the Enroth re-signing leads to thoughts that Miller is headed out.
Agreed. With all the goalies apparently on the market (Lu, Bernier, Ward(?)), I hope the Sabres can get a good return.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:37 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Enroth looked every bit like a #1 goalie in the WHCs this offseason, I have to imagine Swedish teams made overtures to him about coming back and taking the #1 job, so for him to re-sign in Buffalo, I'd imagine promises were made about a greatly-increased schedule.
Where did you get the idea the Sabres "covet" Hackett? He hasn't been all that heralded by anyone in the organization, and he didn't even get many starts in the AHL over Leggio (until Leggio blew a few playoff games). Obviously they like him a bit, or they wouldn't have traded for him, but he's hardly the shiniest toy in the prospect pool. Enroth may have a 5-hole the size of Alaska, but he's far more established as an NHLer than Hackett. If they were keeping Miller, the goalie they'd let go is Leggio, so Hackett could start for Rochester. And Enroth would keep doing what he has been, backing up Miller.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:38 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

I don't know much about Enroth - does he have starter potential?

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Beerfish

Enroth was really good at the worlds this year. The signing won't have a major effect on Miller but it would not surprise me if he was dealt in any case.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:42 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
I don't know much about Enroth - does he have starter potential?
Maybe. He's got a decent career sv% (slightly better than Bernier in a similar # of games) and has played some really impressive stretches of hockey, including under Rolston this year and at Worlds after the season ended. But he also, at one point, went ~14 starts without winning a single game and has a tendency to let weak goals 5-hole. Plus he's smaller than ideal for a modern NHL goalie.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:46 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
What they do with Leggio will be more telling.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
What they do with Leggio will be more telling.
If they don't trade Miller by July 5, Leggio probably isn't waiting around to find out.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:50 AM
xECK29x

@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Enroth's two-year deal in Buffalo: $1.25 million per year

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I said this in our own thread but this re-signing has 0 to do with Miller. If Buffalo keeps Miller, Enroth is the back-up. Even if for some pointless reason they wanted to get rid of Enroth and force Hackett into the back-up roll they'd still do well to re-sign the guy and try getting any measure of draft pick out of him.

He's the only established goalie in our entire system outside of Miller. Hackett is knocking at the door for a back-up job, but there's no reason to force the issue either. If Miller's traded it's because of some combination of the right deal being there, the direction of the team necessitates acquiring more rebuild assets, and the unlikelihood of him re-signing. Personally I think they should trade him even if the deals are lousy, as they likely will be.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:01 AM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Where did you get the idea the Sabres "covet" Hackett?
Minnesota had to scramble around to acquire a goaltender (Picking up Jeff Deslauriers from Anaheim) to replace Hackett in their system, so they obviously weren't just giving Hackett away/planning his departure, Hackett was a guy Buffalo must have asked for, otherwise the Wild would have been content to let Hackett and Kuemper continue to play out the season.

Quote:
If they were keeping Miller, the goalie they'd let go is Leggio, so Hackett could start for Rochester.
Not necessarily. Buffalo already has Connor Knapp, Nathan Lieuwen, and Andrey Makarov under contract (Assuming Makarov makes the jump to pros, which I'm assuming he will). Hackett staying in the AHL would necessitate two of those guys playing in the ECHL, which isn't ideal. I think Leggio's gone regardless.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:09 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Minnesota had to scramble around to acquire a goaltender (Picking up Jeff Deslauriers from Anaheim) to replace Hackett in their system, so they obviously weren't just giving Hackett away/planning his departure, Hackett was a guy Buffalo must have asked for, otherwise the Wild would have been content to let Hackett and Kuemper continue to play out the season.

Not necessarily. Buffalo already has Connor Knapp, Nathan Lieuwen, and Andrey Makarov under contract (Assuming Makarov makes the jump to pros, which I'm assuming he will). Hackett staying in the AHL would necessitate two of those guys playing in the ECHL, which isn't ideal. I think Leggio's gone regardless.
Lieuwen and Knapp both belong in the ECHL (both have had some chances in the AHL, and neither was very good), so having the 2 of them there actually would be ideal. Leggio's been Rochester's regular season MVP for the past 2 years now, so I don't think the Amerks first choice would be letting him go, and I think what happens with him could be telling. If he gets re-signed, I'll take that as an indication that the Sabres don't plan on having Hackett in the AHL, because, at this point in his career, I doubt there's much for him to gain as an AHL back-up.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

Watching Lieuwen and Knapp, those two should be playing in the ECHL until they show they can improve their overall game. I could see them rolling with Hackett and Makarov in the AHL to start since both Lieuwen and Knapp have a LOT of work to do right now.

JW had a solid point on the Sabres board -- giving him 2 years takes him up to UFA, meaning they likely aren't sold on Enroth as the long-term heir to Miller when they finally do deal him.

06-20-2013, 11:11 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:

I agree with your assessment. I think they will roll a 1a/1b situation with Enroth and Hackett. As a Sabres fans I am ok with that and think it is the right move.

As to the proposed trade: Assuming the above assessment is indeed correct, they would not be looking to take back a goalie (Halak).

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Clearly they valued him but you have to understand that Enroth is literally the only thing worth a crap in our system. They need a guy like Hackett while the likelihood of losing Miller looms. Enroth has done well and he's done poorly, the bottom line is he hasn't sewn up the role of the future in net. That doesn't mean bringing in Hackett means he's more valued than Enroth, it just means the chances of being able to replace Miller are increased.

As I said, I want Miller to be shipped out. Go into the season expecting Enroth and Hackett to split the games with obvious allowance for whichever of the two is performing best. If it blows up in our face let's hope it does so to the tune of Ekblad, rather than our all-too-familiar gut-wrenching race to 10th place. I just don't think re-signing Enroth means anything. In the case that they keep Miller, Hackett won't be hurt starting the year off in the AHL.

Quote:
Knapp and Lieuwen combined for 12 starts for the Amerks last season. They got their time in the ECHL and frankly neither impressed at that level. Knapp should be out of the picture. Lieuwen may be deserving of another chance but it's not going to be as starter for the Amerks.

I have hopes Makarov might be something, but unless Miller stays, leaving Hackett in Rochester, the Amerks will need some legitimate starter. Leggio would be the ideal candidate since he's a local boy and was excellent last year. I don't think he wants to come back unless Miller's traded and he's given the chance to back up Enroth while Hackett starts off in Rochester.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:34 AM
nwaZ

Good deal. It's all up to Enroth now.

nwaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:35 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
JW had a solid point on the Sabres board -- giving him 2 years takes him up to UFA, meaning they likely aren't sold on Enroth as the long-term heir to Miller when they finally do deal him.
Good point.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

great deal for Buffalo

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Djp

Quote:

I wonder about the latter given how low he signed for. $1M is standard back up goalie money.

Buffalo feels they wont have Miller after 13/14 season....dont see resigning him given the rebuild/retool.

Buffalo also has Hackett and Leggio(currently a UFA)...for a long time Leggio was in Rochester doing a decent job but Miller was up so he was stuck. It will be interesting to see if they also give Leggio a shot. Hackett does have one more year left of waiver exemptions for call ups.

It will be interesting to see if Miller is moved at the draft as part of a trade up or a deal for players/picks.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote