HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Barclays Center is set up for hockey, and it's weird

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Jester9881

vCash: 500
People are going overboard with this. The Islanders will shoot 2X on the net the seats face. The obstucted seats will come at a discount rate. If you don't want an obstructed view.... there's 14,500 other choices for you currently (and they're working on adding another 1000).

I can tell you right now, I don't care that someone on the other side of the rink can't see part of the ice..... my seats will be fine. The Islanders are staying put, and they will get more revenue and more exposure, this should be all Islander fans care about. So please, if you're a fan of another team..... there's no need to "feel sorry" for us.

My one and only concern, is going to be how the cameras are set up. If they use the same cameras as the NBA, it's going to look weird on TV. Other than that, the Red Sox seem to do alright with an odd shaped, small venue with many obstructed view seats.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
Exactly.....no major sport has three teams in one market...,two of them being suburb teams.
It's moronic and part of the reason the league bottom line has not reached its potential. They should have, the media, focused on Phoenix and three NY teams as reasons for revenue problems and not the players salaries.
The big problem with having three NYC area teams is that the two suburban teams don't cross pollinate. There are virtually no islander or devil fans on the other side of the Hudson. And those few that do lose interest when the team isn't good.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:03 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Quebec? I recall them losing a team already. Something in which NY has never had happen.
Ahemmmm... New York Americans

Old
06-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

I feel liek there is a creative solution to the area with no seats behind the net. Like some steep standing room bleachers or something.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
I feel liek there is a creative solution to the area with no seats behind the net. Like some steep standing room bleachers or something.
I'm not sure how the set up will be behind the net in that area and whether it will be off limits because game day arena staff will need that area or not, but there could absolutely be something done even if its just to bring in some high top tables and chairs - bring in some higher end food and serve it out of a large portable bar concession stand type thing, either make it SRO or just have a some long high top tables along the glass with seating

As long as it is accessible for fans without interfering with the game day arena staff it would be silly for the Islanders/Barclays Center not to capitalize on using that area

Old
06-23-2013, 10:34 AM
FrozenJagrt

The company I work for did the dasher boards for Barclays, and we worked hard on them. We made them beautiful. But there was always this aura hanging over the project, something that just felt off about the building and none of us could figure out exactly what the weird feeling was. Now we know!

Old
06-23-2013, 10:45 AM
premadonna

vCash: 520
A modern, billion-dollar facility and they couldn't design it for both hockey and bball? Well, it better be an amazing arena to watch basketball games.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
It has a European arena feel to it with there not being any seats behind one goal.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Do you think Bettman would allow a team with history like the Islanders to pick up and leave the most populated city in the world?
I have no words.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Unstable

One question I have about centering the ice is would that actually create more obstructed seats, just at both ends?

Old
06-23-2013, 12:00 PM
LeafShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
One question I have about centering the ice is would that actually create more obstructed seats, just at both ends?
Doubt it, but would have to see pics. Remember though, all the seats in the arena, especially in the corners face the center. By moving the arena to the middle, the corners become A LOT better.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:14 PM
RichOnTheLI

I'm glad the fans of all the other NHL teams are getting to see what Islander fans have to deal with!

This arena is ideal for basketball, not hockey, and I can't imagine the developers making any significant changes to the arena considering it's only been open a year or so.

The whole process between Long Island politicians and the Islanders front-office is absolutely despicable!

Old
06-23-2013, 12:31 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell Crowe View Post
A modern, billion-dollar facility and they couldn't design it for both hockey and bball? Well, it better be an amazing arena to watch basketball games.
Newcomer.

BOH was all over Barclay's as it was being built. Decision was made to "save $$" by not building to have centered ice rink (should one ever be used).

Old
06-23-2013, 03:39 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell Crowe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Newcomer.

BOH was all over Barclay's as it was being built. Decision was made to "save $$" by not building to have centered ice rink (should one ever be used).
It was a timing issue. His financing had an expiration date; and he didn't have approval to build an NHL/NBA arena, because the city thought the building was too big.

They would approve a smaller arena, so he built that. At the time, Wang had two options in Nassau County not yet off the table (Lighthouse wasn't vetoed yet, referendum by city wasn't held yet)

Old
06-23-2013, 04:36 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
I have no words.
It's always nice to win an argument.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:18 PM
CrazyMonkey1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
But there was always this aura hanging over the project, something that just felt off about the building and none of us could figure out exactly what the weird feeling was. Now we know!
The off-center scoreboard hanging over your head?

Old
06-23-2013, 08:58 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Exactly.....no major sport has three teams in one market...,two of them being suburb teams.
It's moronic and part of the reason the league bottom line has not reached its potential. They should have, the media, focused on Phoenix and three NY teams as reasons for revenue problems and not the players salaries.
Once the Islanders go to Barclays, none of the 3 will be suburban teams. So that problems solved, although LI has more people on it than 2/3 of the other cities in the NHL anyway but whatever....

And the 3 NY market franchises are not a revenue problem for the league and never have been. The market by its sheer population size alone is unlike any other in the continent. And guess what? The area has had three teams since 1982, and the 3 teams have won 6 Stanley Cups since that time. This isn't exactly some recent phenomenon like the Coyotes situation in Glendale, give it a rest already.

Quote:
That's great...I'm sure the arena didn't have cut off sections and wall barriers in the crowd...which the Barclays will for hockey instead.
A good portion of the arena behind the stage was curtained off.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:19 PM
KevFu

I like how "suburbs" describes Long Island, Newark and Brooklyn.

Let's say you took the populations of those three "suburbs" and put each into an unpopulated part of the country in the northern United States:

North Jersey, Montana
Market: 3.466 million people (Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Sussex, Morris, Passaic counties)
Market Ranking: #16 in the US (between Seattle and Minneapolis)

Long Island, Idaho
Market: 2.843 million people (Nassau/Suffolk Counties)
Market Ranking: #18 in the US (between San Diego and Tampa).

Brooklyn, North Dakota
Market: 2.566 million people (Kings County)
Market Ranking: #22 in the US (between Denver and Pittsburgh)

Old
06-24-2013, 12:54 AM
MartysBetterThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
NHL has higher revenue than NASCAR. But you are totally wrong about NASCAR being regionally Southern. Massive ignorance there. NASCAR does very well in the midwest and decent almost everywhere in the US. You don't know what you are talking about.

That said, NHL is significantly more popular than NASCAR. You seem to stuck in unthinking stereotypes.
I'm from the Northeastern US, where NASCAR's presence is basically nonexistent. Where I am from even MLS has a bigger following than NASCAR.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:15 AM
lost35*

Quote:
This is so stupid, this so dumb...did we really need to keep the Isles in NY and really need three...THREE nhl teams in one market at this cost?

Really? The Pacific Northwest has no team, Quebec City has no team, the gulf coast has no team...but we had to keep THREE teams in NY and one in Phoenix....and the NHL wonders why.....
do you know how many people live in the NJ/NYC/Long Island area?

There are 3 teams there because the supply demands it

Old
06-24-2013, 02:43 AM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
do you know how many people live in the NJ/NYC/Long Island area?

There are 3 teams there because the supply demands it
I dont agree, have you looked at the ratings?

Old
06-24-2013, 03:55 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
A standing room organized fan club section would be awesome. Like the standing terraces in European soccer stadiums where the "ultras" sing/chant/organize tifos from, etc.

That kind of atmosphere would definitely make up for the less than desirable arena setup.

I believe the Isles already have a fan group like that too.

Old
06-24-2013, 03:56 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Ratings are always low in major markets. Too much competition.

Old
06-24-2013, 04:09 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
I have - about as many people watch Isles games as compared to LA Kings or San Jose Sharks games.

A defending Stanley Cup champion and perennial playoff contender vs. a Cinderella team that was a joke before the season began.

Once you reach the playoffs the picture becomes even clearer: the Isles got about 160,000 homes for Game 6 versus the Pens while the Kings got about 130,000 homes for Game 2 versus the Hawks.

Remember the old joke about how only 18,000 people in NYC were into hockey but they all went to the MSG? That's actually true for a lot of Sun Belt markets. The TV ratings are a joke and it's a big reason why the teams struggle to make money despite filling their barns. There's no value to their games other than programming filler because nobody watches them.

That's probably why nobody's really been interested in moving the Islanders, they won't do any better outside of New York than they would in New York. If the Isles become a contender again, they will make more money in NY than anywhere else. They just had a terrible arena situation which they have fixed by moving into the Barclays Center, even if it's an odd fit. Love the terrace behind the goals idea though, that would definitely make the arena more visually appealing.

Last edited by HabsByTheBay: 06-24-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old
06-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
From the SCF:

Steve Lepore‏@stevelepore38m
Over 200,000 households watching in the NY market for Game 5. That's why the area has three teams.

Now lets take a random year like 2010. Combine the average ratings for a game that year from all 3 teams and you get 137,000 viewers. That's pretty huge and the Islanders' number was way higher this season.

Combine that with the fact that there are 3 local sports networks that could bid up on TV rights next time around (MSG, SNY, and YES) and its easy to see why the NHL is comfortable with 3 teams in the area (Devils and Islanders make about $25mil per year currently from TV). Percentage of viewers doesn't have to be high at all, there's so many people packed in that even if less than 1/100 of the market watches, it's still huge

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/20...ngs-in-the-us/

Last edited by Colin226: 06-24-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Closed Thread