HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jonathan Bernier Race Down to 3 Teams (TOR, PHI, MIN)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Wait, has it actually been said what LA are looking for?

Old
06-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopT View Post
Its kind of hard to to prove anything playing backup to Quick; dont you think ?There is a reason Lombardi and the Kings fans are asking so much for him; we know him, we have seen him play and some of us, including me, think that he is better than Quick.
I totally agree, that's why it's hard to hear things like "Bernier is a clear upgrade over Reimer", until he actually proves it, it isn't so. Reimer carried the Leafs (whom most projected would miss) to the playoffs....won games 5 and 6 in the 1st round pretty much on his own and showed he could go toe to toe with Boston.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:01 PM
TopT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I totally agree, that's why it's hard to hear things like "Bernier is a clear upgrade over Reimer", until he actually proves it, it isn't so. Reimer carried the Leafs (whom most projected would miss) to the playoffs....won games 5 and 6 in the 1st round pretty much on his own and showed he could go toe to toe with Boston.
wait wait, I was just responding to the guy that said Bernier was a downgrade.
Also the meltdown in game 7 wasnt exactly something to brag about.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:02 PM
nazembiggs*

There's also no way people can justify wanting Riemer over Bernier just because he's more proven. Bernier has never gotten the opportunity's that Riemer has gotten. Bernier will thrive in a starting goalie role.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
It's been reported quite a few plas over time that the going rate for Bernier has been some composite of a top prospect/1st or 2nd round picks, but our team needs are a cheap cap hit particularly for this year roster player preferably 2nd line LWer, a backup goaltender, and some picks. Ideally, we'd move back into the 1st round, get that 2nd line LWer. Realistically, we'll get a 2nd rounder or two, get a 2nd/3rd line tweener, sign a backup, and call it a day. But we can all hope!

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 06-22-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: deleted quote and reply
Old
06-22-2013, 02:08 PM
JimtheMagicalHamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernKing View Post
How's this deal?
NJ- Bernier, Martinez, Nolan and 7th rd pick (allows NJ to draft Brodeurs son)
LA- Matteau, Urbom, 3rd in 2014 and 2nd in 2015 ( picks make up for LA having no 2nd rd picks in 2014 and 2015)
Martinez and Nolan have negligible value to the Devils. New Jersey won't trade essentially a 1st (Matteau), 2nd and 3rd plus Urbom for a goalie they don't have room for.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Jack Bauer

It's been reported quite a few places over time that the going rate for Bernier has been some composite of a top prospect/1st or 2nd round picks, but our team needs are a cheap cap hit particularly for this year roster player preferably 2nd line LWer, a backup goaltender, and some picks. Ideally, we'd move back into the 1st round, get that 2nd line LWer. Realistically, we'll get a 2nd rounder or two, get a 2nd/3rd line tweener, sign a backup, and call it a day. But we can all hope! [/QUOTE]

Your 2nd paragraph sounds a lot like Frattin (2nd/3rd line tweener as you called it at a 925k cap hit then RFA), Scrivens (backup goalie with near league minimum cap hit of 612K then UFA) and a 2nd.

I think that's fair value.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 06-22-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: edited quote
Old
06-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Reclamation Project
The Expendable

vCash: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Yes, ad nauseam: left wingers, prospects, or picks. In that order.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazembiggs View Post
There's also no way people can justify wanting Riemer over Bernier just because he's more proven. Bernier has never gotten the opportunity's that Riemer has gotten. Bernier will thrive in a starting goalie role.
I think any argument right now is pointless since the 2 have had 2 completely different opportunities.

I believe both were given the proper time to develop and should be #1 NHL goaltenders with all star potential on the right team. Reimer's had opportunity on a developing team and has shown flashes of brilliance in line with how the rest of the team looked usually and Bernier had limited playing time behind a top 5 NHL team that won a Cup in one of his seasons as the backup.

I think they would make an interesting pair for a season with 1 forcing the hand of he team to move the other and bring in a veteran backup going forward.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:27 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimtheMagicalHamster View Post
Martinez and Nolan have negligible value to the Devils. New Jersey won't trade essentially a 1st (Matteau), 2nd and 3rd plus Urbom for a goalie they don't have room for.
Well with former King Harrold on the roster I think Martinez could be top 4 especially if Zidlicky isn't signed. Nolan provides size and toughness that the devils lack as well. NJ may not have ROOM for Bernier but do have a NEED IMO

Old
06-22-2013, 02:29 PM
nazembiggs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
I think any argument right now is pointless since the 2 have had 2 completely different opportunities.

I believe both were given the proper time to develop and should be #1 NHL goaltenders with all star potential on the right team. Reimer's had opportunity on a developing team and has shown flashes of brilliance in line with how the rest of the team looked usually and Bernier had limited playing time behind a top 5 NHL team that won a Cup in one of his seasons as the backup.

I think they would make an interesting pair for a season with 1 forcing the hand of he team to move the other and bring in a veteran backup going forward.
I agree with mostly everything you said, except for the last part. If Bernier is aquired, Riemer will be shipped out. They can't role with 2 young guys again. And by acquiring Bernier it's clear that Nonis doesn't have faith in him. He will deal Reimer and try and get some assets back. Riemer will return the same if not more than Bernier in a trade. It would be start to move him now when his value is the highest.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Rusty Batch

Bernier is a young (for a goalie) top end prospect that has been developed properly and is ready to become a starter. He is as proven and ready of a goaltending prospect can be without actually already being a starter. Not sure why goalie prospects arent as valued as forward prospects. When it is widely accepted that they are the most important players on a team. Its just intersting to me. Are wingers as valuable as goalies? No. A 25 year old goalie is pretty comparable to a 20 year old forward. You simply can not draft a goalie and expect any production for at least 5 years down the road. Seems to me berniers value is easily equivalent to a top 5 pick is u need a goalie.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Rusty Batch

Bernier should net a high pick or a top end prospect. If ur team doesnt have eithet expect to give up a package equivalent to it.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:38 PM
garyjones93

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazembiggs View Post
Have you seen our past luck with acquiring young promising goalies. Bernier may end up having an excellent career, but I am unwilling to give up to much for a chance for him to bust. I don't want another Toskala situation. Especially when Riemer could still beat him out of the spot, further lowering his value. Also I don't think if the trade happens he will be flipped right after. That's how you start to burn bridges.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:39 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
Toronto, you are retarded. Every time we actually draft and develop a good player ourselves, you dummies want to trade them away. See: Kaberle, Gardiner, Reimer, Frattin, Kulemin (last summer), Rielly, and the list goes on and on. This is why we can't have nice things.

Having said that, the only way i would support Bernier coming to Toronto is if LA includes a defenseman or two.

Frattin + 1st + Scrivens + 2nd

for

Bernier + Alec Martinez + rights to Rob Scuderi

it actually addresses an area of need instead of uselessly adding to an area that doesn't need strengthening.
I don't mind that deal from a Leafs prospective, however I still don't see why Toronto has to give up their 1st round pick. I said before and I will say it again when looking at the trades that Tampa Bay got for Anders Lindback and Ben Bishop, neither one included Tampa Bay giving up a 1st round pick for two back-up Goalies. So I say those trades should have set the market for Bernier.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:39 PM
frantiq

Hearing that #Leafs are still very much involved in Jonathan Bernier trade discussion w/#LAKings. Matt Frattin could be in the mix.

https://twitter.com/Berger_BYTES/sta...08063034114049

Old
06-22-2013, 02:40 PM
nazembiggs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
Bernier is a young (for a goalie) top end prospect that has been developed properly and is ready to become a starter. He is as proven and ready of a goaltending prospect can be without actually already being a starter. Not sure why goalie prospects arent as valued as forward prospects. When it is widely accepted that they are the most important players on a team. Its just intersting to me. Are wingers as valuable as goalies? No. A 25 year old goalie is pretty comparable to a 20 year old forward. You simply can not draft a goalie and expect any production for at least 5 years down the road. Seems to me berniers value is easily equivalent to a top 5 pick is u need a goalie.
The reason their not valued as high is because generally a lot of goalies look good when their young, yet turn out to be nothing. Goalies also take longer to develop and become starting goalies.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:44 PM
firstemperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
He's not a clear upgrade but I still feel Bernier has a lot of untapped upside- and can be better than Reimer (or at least has less glaring flaws until Reimer can prove otherwise- qualitatively).

Frattin + 1st is overkill however. That would be a no-go on our end. I think we're in a position where we're looking to add insurance (I'll refrain from using the term "upgrade" with Bernier) but we're not going to overpay for an asset like Bernier.

The absolute most I see us offering is Frattin OR 1st and a B prospect (like a Blacker). Even then, I would be hesitant.

Old
nazembiggs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjones93 View Post
Have you seen our past luck with acquiring young promising goalies. Bernier may end up having an excellent career, but I am unwilling to give up to much for a chance for him to bust. I don't want another Toskala situation. Especially when Riemer could still beat him out of the spot, further lowering his value. Also I don't think if the trade happens he will be flipped right after. That's how you start to burn bridges.
Not burning bridges, giving Reimer a chance to start somewhere else. Nonis has his vision of this team and it doesn't include Riemer. As much as we may not want him to acquire a goalie, it's clear he wants one. That's his decision to make, I just hope he's not being pressured by tim leiweke.

Old
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Price for Bernier is going to be too high for Fletcher's liking. It's likely down to the Leafs and Flyers. Was really hoping Tampa would go after him last off-season, and I'd love to see Bernier be Brodeur's replacement in Jersey.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:45 PM
TOGuy14

I am still laughing at the fact that someone said Reimer has been hit or miss.

In his two non concussion seasons he has posted .921 and .924 SV%, with a .923 SV% against Boston in the first round. All this while playing for a team that is generally pretty bad defensively (gave up second most shots against in the league this year).

Old
06-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Reclamation Project
The Expendable

vCash: 592
It appears we have a bidding war folks...

Old
06-22-2013, 03:14 PM
sokocanuck

vCash: 745
Matt Frattin
2013 2nd

For
J.Bernier
Scudari's rights (should you not want to resign him)

Old
06-22-2013, 03:20 PM
potsiev2

there will be no war over bernier... matt read and a 3rd is the best value you get from philly... have a great day

Old
06-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
I am still laughing at the fact that someone said Reimer has been hit or miss.

In his two non concussion seasons he has posted .921 and .924 SV%, with a .923 SV% against Boston in the first round. All this while playing for a team that is generally pretty bad defensively (gave up second most shots against in the league this year).
Teams shoot from anywhere and everywhere when they play Toronto, simply because James Reimer is in net. It's not exactly a secret that he has the worst rebound control of any goalie in the league. Unfortunately this artificially inflates his save percentage, which Leafs fans then point to and think he's a good NHL goalie.

Closed Thread