HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jonathan Bernier Race Down to 3 Teams (TOR, PHI, MIN)

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 12:33 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
The way Minnesota fans are talking about Zucker you think he was the next generational talent
Exactly. I think he is a great prospect, even approaching borderline elite prospect level with his AHL dominance. But he is undersized and had head injuries before. The Kings have a ton of interest from other teams for Bernier and the Wild will need to pony up to get him. Zucker is a very comparable asset to Conacher.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:33 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I think he gets traded to Flyers for a package involving Read and a 2nd if Flyers have one.
This is what I see happening as well. Seems like it's inevitable.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:35 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
According to Kspn 710 in LA, Hextall and Lombardi "desparately seeking to get Isles re-invested in Bernier talks"

Thought that was pretty interesting.
All this three team talk is untrue. Isles are still in the mix. All Kings need is one GM to be willing to overpay. i think its apparent Lombardi is asking too much. Snow won't give up the farm.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:38 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
And as a Flyer fan, I'd prefer to keep Read, let Minny get Bernier, then we can buy out Bryz and sign Backstrom as our goalie until we know if Mason's a longer term option or not.

I hope all the GMs involved just tell Lombardi to pound salt if his demands are ridiculous.

Bernier is a great prospect, but he still totally unproven as a starter in the NHL. He could still bomb like so many phenoms before him. It's not likely, but there are no guarantees. You can't give up too much for a guy who could choke under the pressure of carrying a team on his own, however well he played this year during his stretch covering for Quick, or in spot starts in relief prior or since.

The bottom line is that if no one trades for Bernier, his value when he turns RFA on July 5th is exactly one 2nd round pick in 2014 for an offer sheet of $3.3 million (IIRC).

LA would have to match or let him walk. They can't afford that cap hit.

The pressure on Lombardi is to make a deal before July 5 because you know several teams will present him an offer sheet (or should I say, several teams will think about presenting an offer sheet - while Homer will do it).

Bernier will have his choice of where he wants to play, or stay in LA, but he will be making $3.3MM/season by July 6....
Bernier will be dealt on or before June 30 th. This is getting annoying though. The longer this drags the worse Lombardi looks. He needs to make a deal soon.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:41 AM
nazembiggs*

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Bernier done deal?

Old
06-23-2013, 12:44 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazembiggs View Post
It must be because wikipedia is always right. lol

Old
06-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
You know almost anyone can edit a wikipedia page?

edit: Look, now I made it say he plays for the Islanders. Done deal right?

OT: haha image it was that easy?

Old
06-23-2013, 12:45 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I find it funny that Zucker has potential to be a 50 goal scorer. Yeah right. That's an elite level of company.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:46 AM
nazembiggs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
You know almost anyone can edit a wikipedia page?
Yes it was a joke...

Old
06-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
Careful what you wish for.....there's a reason Wild fans aren't crazy about re-signing Backstrom. I believe he wasn't even top 30 in goalie save % this past season. I know Mackey and Reusse were talking Backstrom stats a few weeks ago on ESPN1500. The reason his GAA was strong was the Wild didn't allow many shots.
Fair enough. I didn't see much of him this year, but he's always been a goalie I admire. By all the accounts, Minny is talking to him too, but they really can't reup Nik until they know about Bernier either.

The Flyers liked Mason and brought him. He played really well down the stretch, so I think he might have his confidence back. We really only need someone to split the duties, not carry the full load.

I'd have to defer to our pro scouts on that, but the Flyers' org likes Emery too and can pay him more than the Hawks can next year.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:47 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Bernier will be dealt on or before June 30 th. This is getting annoying though. The longer this drags the worse Lombardi looks. He needs to make a deal soon.
This deal shouldnt be done till after the playoffs proberly till after buyouts.. La should wait till that time at the earliest to make this deal. This is only dragging on in ur mind cause of the rumours. This is the only way we will know if philly needs to be in this or not ( buying out byz) The trade will happen shortly after that. How does this make dean look bad hes waiting to max out the potential deal.

Last edited by KingCanadain1976: 06-23-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old
06-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Well according to that garbage he's on both the Leafs and the Isles

Old
06-23-2013, 12:51 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
I don't think holding out is going to make a difference either way, there's no advantages or disadvantages IMO. It seems like everybody involved is calling Lombardi's bluff and not getting into a bidding war like he probably hoped for.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:53 AM
Jester9881

I believe multiple teams have interest, I do not believe more than a couple are seriously in it currently or ever were. This whole process smells of DL trying to drum up interest and/or get the two or three GM's involved to start bidding against eachother/themselves.

I never for a moment believed Toronto was in the mix, it makes zero sense. I think this is between Philly and the Isles, and I think both GM's offered a package and haven't budged off it.

All that said, if I'm right it's a good job by all involved. DL for trying to squeeze every last bit of value out of Bernier, and Snow/Homer for standing on what they feel is his real value. Now it's just a waiting game.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:53 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I don't think holding out is going to make a difference either way, there's no advantages or disadvantages IMO. It seems like everybody involved is calling Lombardi's bluff and not getting into a bidding war like he probably hoped for.
If I am Lombardi and want to drive up his price I start fielding offers from Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg(ie 3 potential teams that might bite)

From my understanding he doesn't want Bernier going to the Alberta teams which instantly gets rid of one of his biggest chances to get a good return(Calgary)

Old
06-23-2013, 12:54 AM
Snipsnap12

I think Bernier has potential to be a star and of flyers trade for him I won't be upset that's Forsure.

Only thing that slightly worries me is his height

Old
06-23-2013, 12:58 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
This deal shouldnt be done till after the playoffs. La should wait till that time at the earliest to make this deal. This is only dragging on in ur mind cause of the rumours. The kings will or at least wait till the offical buyout period is done. This is the only way we will know if philly needs to be in this or not ( buying out byz) The trade will happen shortly after that. How does this make dean look bad hes waiting to max out the potential deal.
The Kings have little choice in the matter. They've been trying to max out this deal for a year.

There is NO goaltender market in the NHL right now. NONE.. Sure, there will be interest but NOT ONE TEAM is going to pay a heavy price for a goaltender. Now, we can debate what a "heavy" price is but it's not going to be what it would've been even a year ago.

They might be able to get a late 1st but more than likely, it'll be less. Im fully willing to admit how wrong I was if they get more. It's fantasyland though. Kings fan can continue to play the worth card but you're only worth what the market will pay.. There's no market.

Old
06-23-2013, 01:00 AM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
I think Bernier has potential to be a star and of flyers trade for him I won't be upset that's Forsure.

Only thing that slightly worries me is his height
Even more reason to acquire him! Kings fans are worried about Read's size so we even share mutual concerns

Old
06-23-2013, 01:05 AM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
I find it funny that Zucker has potential to be a 50 goal scorer. Yeah right. That's an elite level of company.
Not at all; but he does give the Wild a dynamic element they haven't had for some time and that is a young 2nd line winger who can score 20-30 goals each year. His speed is pretty electrifying but I don't see him becoming an elite player.

By the way there are also questions about how good Bernier will be. I mean he's not even a proven #1 yet and he hasn't proven much more in the NHL than Zucker has. I believe he has less than 60 starts in goal.

What you are seeing from Wild fans is they have put up with weak offense for several years and now there are guys with loads of offensive potential and the fans don't want to see that traded away. Kind of like Couturier who hasn't proven to be the 2nd coming yet but Homer has said no way is he being dealt.

For the record....I would be uneasy dealing Zucker for Bernier only because he could be a 30 goal guy year in and year out and Bernier could be a #2 goalie. But hey you take that risk in any trade.

Last edited by North Metro Peewees: 06-23-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old
06-23-2013, 01:08 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
This deal shouldnt be done till after the playoffs proberly till after buyouts.. La should wait till that time at the earliest to make this deal. This is only dragging on in ur mind cause of the rumours. This is the only way we will know if philly needs to be in this or not ( buying out byz) The trade will happen shortly after that. How does this make dean look bad hes waiting to max out the potential deal.
This is a double edge sword. My guess Philly doesn't buyout Bryz unless they make the trade before the buyout period ends. If Philly still has Bryz once the buyout period is over, you can strike them off the interested list and if they don't have Bryz as part of the roster you can expect they covered their butts for goaltending next season

Old
06-23-2013, 01:13 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
That's what I'm saying. I think other Gms are gonna look at Lombardi different in future deals now. I understand a hard bargain. Watch Minnesota decide to resign and Bryz not get bought out. The other teams say see ya.

Old
06-23-2013, 01:13 AM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
This is a double edge sword. My guess Philly doesn't buyout Bryz unless they make the trade before the buyout period ends. If Philly still has Bryz once the buyout period is over, you can strike them off the interested list and if they don't have Bryz as part of the roster you can expect they covered their butts for goaltending next season
Pretty sure that won't be a issue as Bernier will be dealt at the draft on Sunday. Possibly Saturday

Old
06-23-2013, 01:28 AM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Exactly. I think he is a great prospect, even approaching borderline elite prospect level with his AHL dominance. But he is undersized and had head injuries before. The Kings have a ton of interest from other teams for Bernier and the Wild will need to pony up to get him. Zucker is a very comparable asset to Conacher.
That's fine. We can hold onto him then. Don't need a goalie desperately enough to give up our top forward prospect. It doesn't matter if the other 29 teams' fans don't view him as valuably as we do, but that's the way it goes with prospects. We all overvalue them. To us, Zucker is pencilled into the top 6 for the foreseeable future. That's not something we are willing to give up for a goalie, albeit a promising one. Just how it is. We will hold onto him and overvalue him until further notice.

Old
06-23-2013, 01:32 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
I believe multiple teams have interest, I do not believe more than a couple are seriously in it currently or ever were. This whole process smells of DL trying to drum up interest and/or get the two or three GM's involved to start bidding against eachother/themselves.

I never for a moment believed Toronto was in the mix, it makes zero sense. I think this is between Philly and the Isles, and I think both GM's offered a package and haven't budged off it.

All that said, if I'm right it's a good job by all involved. DL for trying to squeeze every last bit of value out of Bernier, and Snow/Homer for standing on what they feel is his real value. Now it's just a waiting game.
Pretty much.

It doesnt take a genius to see what's going on.

Bernier wants a trade
Lombardi tells him he wont move him unless he gets a fair deal
Bernier's agent cannot drum up enough interest around the league
Bernier fires his agent
Bernier hires Brisson
Brisson is told by Lombardi to create interest and he'd be more than happy to move his client
Renaud Lavoie.... Brisson's media buddy is given a call....
Within 3 days, the stories about interest in Bernier have snowballed...

The game's been played hundreds of times and the fact most on here believe everything they read on the internet is always fun...

Old
06-23-2013, 02:03 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
I hope the Canucks offersheet Bernier. $2.5m 1 year. Kings match if course. Market drops by one goalie.

Closed Thread