HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Summer Trade & Signing Talk | Part IV | It's French for "The Tang Wants Paid"

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
so is Vitale going to re-sign here if he's 28 and still can't keep his spot on the fourth-line without getting randomly scratched every so often?

Old
06-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Waffle Fries

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
so is Vitale going to re-sign here if he's 28 and still can't keep his spot on the fourth-line without getting randomly scratched every so often?
He has one year left on his current deal so we don't have to worry about that yet.

Old
06-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Jules Winnfield
Kessel is phat

Quote:
Hopefully Shero comes to his senses and gets rid of guys like Glass/Adams and forces Blahsma to play guys like V who play their ass off and can hustle every night.

Old
06-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Randy Butternubs
| ( ◡)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I like that line-up, but I seriously doubt Sill makes this team...ever.
I know you've seen Sill play more than I have, so why do you feel that way?

Old
06-20-2013, 05:35 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
I present to you the '**** It: Who Needs Cap Space at the Deadline and Someone Else is Making Lineup Decisions for Dan Bylsma' 2013-14 Pittsburgh Penguins roster.

In case you were wondering:
-Niskanen was traded for Clutterbuck
-Orpik and Jokinen were traded for various forward prospects and/or draft picks
-Glass disappeared (or put on waivers and picked up by some unsuspecting team)

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($4.125m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Pascal Dupuis ($3.000m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Cal Clutterbuck ($2.200m)
Zach Sill ($0.578m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m) / Craig Adams ($0.625m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.500m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Brian Dumoulin ($0.900m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,763,333; BONUSES: $85,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $621,667
Dupuis for 3 and Scuds for 3.5 ain't happening though. You can add a million to each for sure.

Hopefully the Niskanen for Clutterbuck trade is like the Goligoski for Neal trade - HF yaps about it enough that it actually happens!

Old
06-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Dupuis for 3 and Scuds for 3.5 ain't happening though. You can add a million to each for sure.

Hopefully the Niskanen for Clutterbuck trade is like the Goligoski for Neal trade - HF yaps about it enough that it actually happens!
The Scuderi deal was a little optimistic, I'll admit that (it's still a $100k raise though). But if we paid Dupuis $4m/yr I'd repeatedly bang my head against a wall.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Reposting this for posterity / so I don't have to dig it up when I want to respond to 1st rounder trade proposals. In summation: all your Panthers and Sabres belong to us (assuming Le Tang is Not Paid... which I still think he will be but you know, this is HFB.)

Quote:
I haven't decided for myself that Letang is really going to be traded so I haven't looked over the rosters that much but off the top of my head, here's my take on the Top 10 drafters this year and how they'd fit as a partner:

1. Colorado - tough to call but I don't think it's likely. Reason: Avs #1 need is obviously to a franchise D. But does Letang really fit that bill long-term better than Jones (who is going to be their obvious pick)? Short term the answer is yes he does. He would immediately make their PP better, immediately make their D better, but within 2-3 years maybe that's not so obvious anymore. Does Colorado look at Letang's total game and say "this is a guy who will lead us to a Cup along with Lando & Co"? You could argue it, but cost-wise, and given Jones' quality, I'd say no. Jones will complete that core more or less and do it much more cheaply than Letang, allowing them to sign other players from year to year to fit a given need. Then again there's the Roy factor so who knows. Watch them trade us the pick and we take Jones instead of McKinnon or Drouin.

2. Florida - a better trading partner than Colorado. They have a very good physical D in Gudbranson and a very good offensive D in Kulikov, so you could argue they don't have the urgent need but look at it another way: Letang gives them the ability to produce two very strong pairings with some offensive upside on both. Florida is much closer to competing for a Cup than Colorado, and Tallon is more likely to buy the last piece than draft and develop it, IMO. Roster-wise Florida has some assets we could use. Plenty of young F with big upside. Since they don't lack for young players I think the obvious trade would be Letang for Pick 2 (Drouin) + young F not named Hubes or Bugs. Maybe Matthias (Staal Redux). Make him 3C, move Sutter to 3W... see what happens. Would give us a ton of cap room the next few years and make it easy to sign Dupers, while improving the skill (both players) and physicality (Matthias) of our F corps. It would also guarantee Kennedy's exit. Can only have so many 3rd liners hanging around at 2M.

3. Tampa - Not a good trading partner at all IMO. They could use Letang to compliment Hedman for sure. But their roster is filled with "almosts and old guys". Just getting the 3rd pick (where it's possible Drouin will already be gone) plus an "OK player" doesn't sit well with me. I don't like the way TB is built and don't have much interest in any of their players. Unless of course they're willing to trade Hedman + early 2nd rounder for Letang. I'd consider that. Hedman is developing slowly but he's going to be an animal when he reaches his peak. He can kiss and make up with Sid at training camp. Maybe never Letang's upside offensively, but far better defensively and an improving shot from the point too. That said, I can't see it happening. TB is not a legitimate option IMO.

4. Nashville - as loaded with D studs as we are and then some. Not happening. They're going to take that pick and get a stud F prospect who can play right away and play on the cheap for 3 years.

5. Carolina - lightning could strike twice. Their defense blows, simple as that. No one they have coming up or on the team is remotely comparable to Letang. So we get Pick 5 this year... then what? There's no one on that F roster who is tradable, who makes us a better team long-term IMO. Once you get past the Staals and Skinner (who has had multiple concussion issues so even if he were tradable it would be a suspect decision), it's pretty bleak. Cam Ward? Do you take that chance? I don't think so. Carolina is more or less the same problem as TB, except they need Letang a lot more on D than TB does.

6. Calgary - nope. And you get to his pick and pretty much the best prospects are C and D who likely will all need a year or two in the minors, so it means you need the best asset to be not the pick, but the existing player from their roster. Calgary obviously has nothing we need so badly you'd trade a Letang for it.

7. Edmonton - unless they're willing to trade Hall, no. He's the only young stud they have with sufficient edge and balance to his game, that would make the trade worth it. Eberle would be great but I think they consider him to be their #1 guy. Or 1a at worst.

8. Buffalo - After Florida, this is the best match in the Top 10 picks IMO. Buffalo has enough of what we need that it could be made to work. They obviously need a guy like Letang in a big way. The Myer thing ain't working, and they're not that far from being competitive IMO. Pegula also seems like the kind of guy who would try to buy his way there and not draft / develop his way there. Forget about the usual suspects. This would be a "parts bigger than the whole" kind of trade IMO. Letang and Pick77 for Pick 8, Steve Ott, and Anrej Sekera. The pick gives us a chance to grab a forward who might be good enough to play in 2014-2015 if we're lucky, a bona-fide PITA 3C for the other team to deal with (thinking of you fondly, Boston), and a D who by no means replaces any part of Letang's game, but can also be a PITA to play against somewhere in our Top 6 D. And he has a little bit of offensive skill as well I believe.

One could say "WTF DOOD MILLAR!" but my answer is, before MAF has played another game, and been crowned "our guy" by Mario on down to Bylsma... what are teh odds we replace him in a summer trade? What message does that send to all the other "our guys"? Not happening.

9. Jersey - while I see some potential trade combinations that make sense for both teams, I don't see Lou L. doing anything to make the Pittsburgh Penguins a better team. It's that simple. In theory Letang for Pick 9 and a kid like Loktionov would could play wing for us on the Top 6 could work (or maybe you swap Letang and 3rd for Larssen and the 1st), but none of it is happening. This is Lou we're talking about.

10. Dallas - potential Letang + 3rd for Pick 10 and Eriksson, or something like that but I can't see it. We've done our deed with Dallas. Don't see too many combinations that work for both teams.

11. Philly

12. Phoenix - this is maybe the last pick I'd consider trading Letang for. The later pick-team combos do not really offer the quality we need. Do they trade OEL for Letang? Probably not, and certainly not with the pick in tow. This would be another Buffalo-like deal. Letang for Pick 12, Klesla, Vermette. Makes both or D and F corp arguably better defensively, while losing some offensive upside overall. Pick 12... what do you get with that? Not sure but it's late enough that it would worry me that it is "BPA get a D" territory. I think only those first few picks would guarantee we pick F, and only one of those makes any sense IMO -- Florida.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:14 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 29m
Letang, Dupuis important, but #Penguins GM Shero says he'll try to touch base in next several days w/all FAs, guys eligible for extensions.

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 27m
GM Shero doesn't expect to use compliance buyout on anyone. "That’s not something we’re looking at." #Penguins

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 26m
Shero on where he stands: "I want to have all the information I need to make some decisions over the next 10 days." #Penguins

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 25m
Shero on Dupuis: "He’s gotten better as he’s gone on. Usually it works the opposite. Whatever he gets, he’ll deserve." #Penguins

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 24m
Shero on Letang: "If we go to the end of next week and he’s not signed, does that mean he’s traded? No." #Penguins

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 23m
More Shero on Letang: "We’ll continue to talk to them and hope to have a deal. I would like to keep him and extend him." #Penguins

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 22m
GM Ray Shero is not setting the June 30 draft as a deadline for deals, decisions: "The draft is just a date." #Penguins

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 20m
Shero said extending Malkin eased things for Letang's situation. He didn't want them both to go into next season as lame ducks. #Penguins

Bolded are what I found interesting.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Ray you sneaky *******. Love some of those phrasings. Of course it doesn't mean "he's traded". No one is traded... until they're actually traded. The Draft? It's just a date? Who knew! Sounds like Dupers is getting some love this summer. Good for him. He's earned it. As long as it's not 4 years (or cheaper than what he could max out at if it is).

I'm just damn thankful Geno is locked up. Can't imagine the idiocy that would be flowing into this place if talks were still going on (and in the media, including TSN).

Old
06-20-2013, 06:17 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Reposting this for posterity / so I don't have to dig it up when I want to respond to 1st rounder trade proposals. In summation: all your Panthers and Sabres belong to us (assuming Le Tang is Not Paid... which I still think he will be but you know, this is HFB.)
Colorado has said they aren't drafting Jones. Who knows if that's true or not, but I'm just going off of what's out there.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Colorado has said they aren't drafting Jones. Who knows if that's true or not, but I'm just going off of what's out there.
Yah I saw that and I'm not buying. Although the French Connection with Roy and Letang... who knows. If Tang is not signed in principle ahead of the Draft that may be Colorado's way of saying "the first pick is yours for Letang". Roy has already been given the reigns on trade talks (not the GM I guess), which is strange but potentially good for us.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 26m
Shero on where he stands: "I want to have all the information I need to make some decisions over the next 10 days." #Penguins
I figured as much. Lots of dominoes to fall before free agency

Quote:
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 25m
Shero on Dupuis: "He’s gotten better as he’s gone on. Usually it works the opposite. Whatever he gets, he’ll deserve." #Penguins
He didn't say he'll get it from us.

Also, how weird is it to see a Pittsburgh reporter using actual quotes?

Old
06-20-2013, 06:23 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Yah I saw that and I'm not buying. Although the French Connection with Roy and Letang... who knows. If Tang is not signed in principle ahead of the Draft that may be Colorado's way of saying "the first pick is yours for Letang". Roy has already been given the reigns on trade talks (not the GM I guess), which is strange but potentially good for us.
And Shero will then proceed to draft Jones, and this board will have a nuclear meltdown.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
Also, how weird is it to see a Pittsburgh reporter using actual quotes?
Shel ain't built for speed, but she sure is built for truth.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
And Shero will then proceed to draft Jones, and this board will have a nuclear meltdown.
**** I hope not. Also hope we could get a little more than the 1st pick. Maybe a 3rd rounder or a decent F prospect they're still developing. Wouldn't expect much more than that though for 1st overall. Not this year. Other years, maybe.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:29 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Shero: "You know we have seen him a lot over the last year while checking the progress of Derrick Pouliot. We really liked what we saw. We thought they worked well together. We don't go into the draft looking at a certain position, but try to take the best player available on our board, at the time, and we feel we did that in Seth Jones."

Old
06-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

I would have to take a sabbatical I think. My mind would be toast.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Shel ain't built for speed, but she sure is built for truth.
I think she air-heads it sometimes with the stuff she tweets but she's better than Rossi's BS troll-tweets on balance.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Shero: "You know we have seen him a lot over the last year while checking the progress of Derrick Pouliot. We really liked what we saw. We thought they worked well together. We don't go into the draft looking at a certain position, but try to take the best player available on our board, at the time, and we feel we did that in Seth Jones."
then he trades Pouliot for a rental of Ryan Smyth

Old
06-20-2013, 06:33 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
then he trades Pouliot for a rental of Ryan Smyth

Nice.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
I think she air-heads it sometimes with the stuff she tweets but she's better than Rossi's BS troll-tweets on balance.
i agree completely. she doesn't bring a lot to the table, but at least she doesn't seek to willfully distort and misconstrue information. she just reports what she hears about three hours after everyone is aware of whatever she's reporting.

also i felt like linking a Little Richard song...

Old
06-20-2013, 06:35 PM
ericstrat1

Espn rumors is saying James Neal to OTT cause we can't afford his 5 million. Thankfully we can afford the 5 million on MAF to sit the bench in the playoffs.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:37 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericstrat1 View Post
Espn rumors is saying James Neal to OTT cause we can't afford his 5 million. Thankfully we can afford the 5 million on MAF to sit the bench in the playoffs.
"Geno, thanks for signing the extension, we are now going to trade your BFF."

Don't worry, ain't gonna happen.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Nah. It's just some Sens guy who said that Murray should call about Neal. No one ever actually said he was available.

Quote:
1-NEAL AND NEIL IN OTTAWA?: Welcome to the financial squeeze play for Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero. Kris Letang is in line for an annual salary of $6 million-$7 million when he becomes an unrestricted free agent following the 2013-14 season. Yet on a team where Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marc-Andre Fleury all own lucrative long-term deals – and with Pascal Dupuis (this year) and Chris Kunitz (next year) waiting in the UFA wings – how can it be done?

If the Penguins don’t re-sign Letang, they’ll trade him. If they sign Letang, something else has to give.

Senators GM Bryan Murray should be one of many calling about Neal, the 26-year-old who has five years and $25 million remaining on his deal. The Senators bargaining chips in a possible trade include young prospects Stefan Noesen, Matt Puempel and Shane Prince.
http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/ke...atley-and-more

Edit: It's funny how everyone thinks they are experts on our cap situation.

Last edited by Waffle Fries: 06-20-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old
06-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Nimos

Quote:
They link to this article from am Ottawa newspaper.

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/ke...atley-and-more

All I have to say is lol.

Closed Thread