HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2013 Summer Trade & Signing Talk | Part IV | It's French for "The Tang Wants Paid"

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2013, 06:50 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

vCash: 500
Did anybody else chuckle a bit when they read www.senatorsextra.com

Old
06-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
And Shero will then proceed to draft Jones, and this board will have a nuclear meltdown.
Nathan should be sleeping in Sid's west wing to keep the tradition alive.

Sid
Geno
Nath

I'd do it, but Jones is too tempting there for my liking for, Shero.

Wonder what Tonya Harding's doing these days?

Old
06-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
Nah. It's just some Sens guy who said that Murray should call about Neal. No one ever actually said he was available.

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/ke...atley-and-more

Edit: It's funny how everyone thinks they are experts on our cap situation.
Trade Neal in order to re-sign Dupuis. Sounds legit.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Oxide

vCash: 50
ehh

Shelly Anderson@pgshelly
Interesting re: Letang, Shero noted that NJ got nothing for UFA Parise, but Parise helped Devils get to Cup final before leaving. #Penguins
https://twitter.com/pgshelly/status/347866104351309824

Old
06-20-2013, 07:06 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxide View Post
ehh

Shelly Anderson@pgshelly
Interesting re: Letang, Shero noted that NJ got nothing for UFA Parise, but Parise helped Devils get to Cup final before leaving. #Penguins
Yeah Ray, and how did not having Parise this year work out for the Devils??

29th in the league in goals scored this season, and out of the playoffs.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
ehh

Shelly Anderson@pgshelly
That would be nice if I had that expectation this season. I'm not feeling it, transition year, it should be about getting younger and better.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Trade Neal in order to re-sign Dupuis. Sounds legit.
Well, anything to resign Dupuis, right?

Edit: Don't worry, Rossi is here to the rescue with the obvious

Rob Rossi @RobRossi_Trib
#TribHKY There was a report of another #NHL club's interest in Neal, but #pens are NOT looking to move him.

Quote:
ehh

Shelly Anderson@pgshelly
Huh. Then again he also mentioned how the packages Poile were offered for Suter got him thinking.

He's just weighing his options, I think.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:14 PM
66-29-33

If Pens can ink Letang for 6.5M for 8 years then it's a no brainer to keep Letang. That's a 3M boost so between him and Malkin that is 3.8M cap space combined. Easily affordable in a rising cap. Let's ink him up at Karlsson price.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
**** I hope not. Also hope we could get a little more than the 1st pick. Maybe a 3rd rounder or a decent F prospect they're still developing. Wouldn't expect much more than that though for 1st overall. Not this year. Other years, maybe.
I don't think we're getting more than No. 1 overall for Letang. I think, if anything, this is one of those deals were BOTH sides feel they should get more out of it, so it becomes a 2-for-2 or 3-for-3 type of deal.

I don't know who Ray Ray would select first overall but I gotta believe he'd take MacKinnon. Course, he'll then re-sign Dupuis and MacKinnon will wind up back in Halifax for more 'seasoning'.

BUT, just for giggles...

Kunitz-Crosby-MacKinnon
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-UFA (Jagr, Iginla, Clowe, other)
whatever

I dig.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:20 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Kunitz-Crosby-MacKinnon
The Macruzby line. The Macunsby line. The MaKusby line.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
Well, anything to resign Dupuis, right?

Edit: Don't worry, Rossi is here to the rescue with the obvious

Rob Rossi @RobRossi_Trib
#TribHKY There was a report of another #NHL club's interest in Neal, but #pens are NOT looking to move him.

Huh. Then again he also mentioned how the packages Poile were offered for Suter got him thinking.

He's just weighing his options, I think.
What a turd.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
ehh

Shelly Anderson@pgshelly
So when you read between the lines of the other Shero quotes and this one he is really saying:

"I may decide to sign Letang or trade him, when I have all of the info I need from his agent and Botterill. If I do decide to engage in trade talks, I am not giving myself any self imposed deadlines which will give other GMs leverage. Now that Malkin is signed, I even have the option of keeping Letang going into next season without a new contract, if I don't like any of the trade offers"

So he said a whole lot, without really actually telling us anything.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:36 PM
leafspensfan

Trade him...please...for some young forwards who'll actually wanna play hard

Old
06-20-2013, 07:41 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
ehh

Shelly Anderson@pgshelly
If that was the case, then he would have kept Staal last season.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Trade him...please...for some young forwards who'll actually wanna play hard
this right here is why RRP keeps getting worked up. I just don't get why anyone would actively want to get rid of one of the best d-men in the league.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:12 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
this right here is why RRP keeps getting worked up. I just don't get why anyone would actively want to get rid of one of the best d-men in the league.
Cause he's demanding too much for us to fit under the cap for us to still be competitive and surround our star players including him. Plus he chokes a lot when it counts, can't handle QBing the PP like he's asked to. Freeing up that much space can give us the luxury of signing a shut down D-man, letting Pouliot/Maatta/Harrington grow into our PMD, and trading Tanger gives us the option of getting young, hungry forwards to hopefully play with Sid

Old
06-20-2013, 08:18 PM
SherogoesHAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Some people do not feel he is one of the best D Men in the League. I am one of them. Letang has a special skill set with his speed and can create opportunities but I feel he is not great where we need him to be great(Playoff #1 D Man). He doesn't have a big accurate shot(Subban) nor does he become infinitely better in the playoffs due to refs choking on their whistles(Chara, Weber, Suter, Pronger).

I would like the Penguins to build a team with the Playoff whistle swallowing in mind. The Bruins have it down to perfection. They have great faceoff men who cheat slightly more in the playoffs, can run Detriot like interference's, attack the goalie crease with their size, and their big veteran defense all pull Hal Gill's come playoff time.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Cause he's demanding too much for us to fit under the cap for us to still be competitive and surround our star players including him. Plus he chokes a lot when it counts, can't handle QBing the PP like he's asked to. Freeing up that much space can give us the luxury of signing a shut down D-man, letting Pouliot/Maatta/Harrington grow into our PMD, and trading Tanger gives us the option of getting young, hungry forwards to hopefully play with Sid
1.) We don't even know what he's demanding, it's all speculation. But a $7m (most likely) or $6.5m caphit (which seems unlikely, but Dreger thinks it is possible) isn't going to be too much for us to fit under the cap and still be competitive. I promise.

2.) I wouldn't qualify one poor playoff series as 'choking' especially when the rest of the team played equally awful. And when the coach kept throwing him out there with Niskanen when the two are obviously poison together.

3.) He can work on the PP, not going to argue with that. But it's certainly not a reason to trade him

4.) Harrington is not a PMD and Pouliot and Maatta are still many many years away from having an impact at the NHL level. And you don't trade away a player of Letang's level because you're hoping that one day down the road a prospect can play at that same level

5.) I want a winger for Sid, but not at the expense of Letang. Not right now, at least.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:30 PM
zoro87

Well, Letang's last contract was pretty much a steal at 3.5m. I would think he would want the contract which will cover his prime years to be as high as possible. Also, If we were to trade him, It would be better to downgrade and get a forward prospect then to hope that Pouliot/Maatta can fill his shoes.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
So we should trade our great players because we can't afford good players if we keep our great players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherogoesHAM View Post
Some people do not feel he is one of the best D Men in the League. I am one of them. Letang has a special skill set with his speed and can create opportunities but I feel he is not great where we need him to be great(Playoff #1 D Man). He doesn't have a big accurate shot(Subban) nor does he become infinitely better in the playoffs due to refs choking on their whistles(Chara, Weber, Suter, Pronger).

I would like the Penguins to build a team with the Playoff whistle swallowing in mind. The Bruins have it down to perfection. They have great faceoff men who cheat slightly more in the playoffs, can run Detriot like interference's, attack the goalie crease with their size, and their big veteran defense all pull Hal Gill's come playoff time.
Those people are wrong. Including you. He's a top 10 d-man in the league. He is a top 2 offensive d-man in the league. If he's available, every single team in the league will ask about him because every single team in the league wants a guy like him.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Cause he's demanding too much for us to fit under the cap for us to still be competitive and surround our star players including him.
Show me where Letang demanded anything.

Quote:
Plus he chokes a lot when it counts
He hasn't "choked" any more than Crosby or Malkin since the Cup win.

Quote:
can't handle QBing the PP like he's asked to.
Letang's consistently among the top 10 PP producers in the league.

Quote:
Freeing up that much space can give us the luxury of signing a shut down D-man,
Putting a lot of stock in signing Scuderi - a sure-to-be-expensive 34 year old - I take it.

Quote:
letting Pouliot/Maatta/Harrington grow into our PMD,
Oh good, we can just need one until whenever happens. If that ever happens.

Quote:
and trading Tanger gives us the option of getting young, hungry forwards to hopefully play with Sid
There's no reason at all why the best player in the world shouldn't be able to produce when it matters with Bennett and any combination of Kunitz/Dupuis/Iginla/whoever.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:37 PM
mr sidney crosby

I may look stupid now for saying this, but I think Tom Kuhnhackl can step in at a top 6 role not next year but the next. He has great hands, can make plays on his own and has a great quick release.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherogoesHAM View Post

Isn't it odd that he, Chara, and Weber are the only defensemen to finish top 10 in Norris voting the past 3 seasons.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:38 PM
mr sidney crosby

Also, for the people who say he is bad defernsivly. He can improve and get better in areas. He is only 26 years old.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post

There's no reason at all why the best player in the world shouldn't be able to produce when it matters with Bennett and any combination of Kunitz/Dupuis/Iginla/whoever.
I still disagree with you here. I mean ya, he should be able to produce something. But the idea that he should be able to just will players to success is a bit off in my opinion. Off topic though. Keep Letang. He helps Sid and Geno as much as most wingers ever will.

Closed Thread