HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Draft thread part 3: who will it be?!

View Poll Results: Who do you predict the Preds WILL pick? (it's a will not a want poll)
MacKinnon at #4 (the put the mouse down and get help pick) 0 0%
Jones at #4 (the goin' for the shutout streak record pick) 5 6.02%
Drouin at #4 (the shake and bake pick) 26 31.33%
Barkov at #4 (the Maple my day pick) 39 46.99%
Nichushkin at #4 (the Pulp Fiction brain duty- 615's head exploded pick) 2 2.41%
Lindholm at #4 (the always trust a dog pick) 0 0%
Other at #4 (the WTFx10 pick) 0 0%
MacKinnon after trading up (the OMG pick) 0 0%
Jones after trading up (the classic Poile, no mayo pick) 0 0%
Drouin after trading up (the Poile's been abducted pick) 0 0%
Barkov after trading up (the Fenton is in charge pick) 3 3.61%
Other after trading up (the Mickey Mouse is in charge pick) 1 1.20%
Nichushkin after trading down (the Radulov's ghost pick) 1 1.20%
Lindholm after trading down (the classic Poile, extra cheese pick) 6 7.23%
One of the "top 4" after trading down (the "can I have one of those pills" pick) 0 0%
Other after trading down (the free chicken dinner if correct pick) 0 0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2013, 08:18 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
The biggest difference I see is position. I would be more than happy with Drouin, but I'd prefer Barkov or Mac because they're centers.
The difference between Barkov\Mackinnon\Drouin\Nichuskin isn't that great...that's tier 1. According to scouts, the next group--Monahan, Lindholm, Shinkaruk, Horvat are a step down.

The first four have franchise upside, the second four are more "very good" upside.

Old
06-21-2013, 08:24 AM
PFL615

I wonder who the Preds select
if Jones and Druin are available at 4?

Old
06-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
For those saying trade up, what do you think Poile would realistically offer to move up a few spots for MacKinnon?

Avs need defense but I don't think guys like Ellis and Blum would be too appealing.
Eckholm or Bartley would have to be in the works if you were looking to trade with Colorado. They need Lefty D-men. They are stocked well on the right side. We would have to include Smith, Bourque, or Beck to even have them listen I think.

Old
06-21-2013, 08:34 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
The difference between Barkov\Mackinnon\Drouin\Nichuskin isn't that great...that's tier 1. According to scouts, the next group--Monahan, Lindholm, Shinkaruk, Horvat are a step down.

The first four have franchise upside, the second four are more "very good" upside.
I agree based on the projected skill/upside, but for the Preds and really in general:

top center > top winger (with skill being =)

Old
06-21-2013, 09:46 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Eckholm or Bartley would have to be in the works if you were looking to trade with Colorado. They need Lefty D-men. They are stocked well on the right side. We would have to include Smith, Bourque, or Beck to even have them listen I think.
lol, "we'd like the first pick, here's number 4 and...VICTOR BARTLEY!"

Old
06-21-2013, 12:53 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Drouin

Old
06-21-2013, 01:14 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I agree based on the projected skill/upside, but for the Preds and really in general:

top center > top winger (with skill being =)
That's true, but I think at this point we have to consider the realistic possibility of Mac and Barkov being off of the board by the time we go to pick. At that point we should be looking at whoever is left of Nich and Drouin, because the next centers available will be a step below those two in terms of talent.

Ideally we get one of Barkov or Mac. Realistically, we will get one of Barkov/Mac/Drouin/Nich. One option is the better option as it fills team needs, as you said. The other is still a good pick, and I think we'll be more than happy with them.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:18 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
That's true, but I think at this point we have to consider the realistic possibility of Mac and Barkov being off of the board by the time we go to pick. At that point we should be looking at whoever is left of Nich and Drouin, because the next centers available will be a step below those two in terms of talent.

Ideally we get one of Barkov or Mac. Realistically, we will get one of Barkov/Mac/Drouin/Nich. One option is the better option as it fills team needs, as you said. The other is still a good pick, and I think we'll be more than happy with them.
Agreed. Personally, I hope that Poile is speaking with the Oilers, Canes, and Calgary to see what they'd give if Jones is available (with the other 3 gone). If we can stay in the top-7 (Lindholm/Monahan most likely available) and gain a nice asset, I go for it. However, I know mine is not the popular choice, but unless it's a nice return, I'm drafting Jones and loving it.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:21 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I wouldn't be upset with Jones as our pick, but I'd rather have one of the four forwards in the top five to be honest. This was a great year to bomb. Short season. Fresh out of a lock out so a lot of folks were simply happy to have hockey back. The top of the draft is insanely deep.

Nice tanking strategy Poile and Trotz cooked up

Old
06-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
lol, "we'd like the first pick, here's number 4 and...VICTOR BARTLEY!"
Not what I was saying. Would have to be say Bartley and Smith or Brouque and Eckholm or some other combo.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Agreed. Personally, I hope that Poile is speaking with the Oilers, Canes, and Calgary to see what they'd give if Jones is available (with the other 3 gone). If we can stay in the top-7 (Lindholm/Monahan most likely available) and gain a nice asset, I go for it. However, I know mine is not the popular choice, but unless it's a nice return, I'm drafting Jones and loving it.
I'm pretty sure trading down almost never works out for the team trading down. We just have to keep it simple:take whoevers there at 4 or move up to 1 or two. If that means jones then trade him for a young top center.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:00 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I'm pretty sure trading down almost never works out for the team trading down. We just have to keep it simple:take whoevers there at 4 or move up to 1 or two. If that means jones then trade him for a young top center.
Who's going to give us a top young centre for jones?

Old
06-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I agree that trading down usually doesn't work out. I really hope Jones isn't still there at #4 so we don't have to cross that bridge.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Who's going to give us a top young centre for jones?
Philly? Edmonton?

Old
06-21-2013, 03:09 PM
NoNecksCurse

ekholm, smith, 4th overall for 1st overall.. we get mackinnon. colorado would do this deal imo

Old
06-21-2013, 03:17 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

My mind if its Nich or Drouin, get one then tos a dump truck of cash to Ribero

Old
06-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
I have trouble believing Tampa takes Nichushkin before Drouin if they want a forward. That's the only way both Drouin and Jones are available at #4.

But I take Drouin if that does happen.

Old
06-21-2013, 04:35 PM
predfan98

I just know the whole thing gives me heartburn. I had put it on the backburner mentally, thought, ok Barkov, good... and now..

Old
06-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

The reasons I don't want Nichuskin

1. Scouts have been doubting his work ethic. This is a huge Red Flag. Everyone keeps pointing out how he could be the next Datsyuk or Malkin. Has there ever been any question about their work ethic?

2. The KHL factor. Yes there is an agreement , but what if he goes back this year. He could never come back. Especially after Trotz yells at him every freaking second in training camp.

3. Not wanting to playing in the CHL or AHL. Even Radulov did this and tried to adjust to North American Rink and style. Yes Barkov is doing the same thing but he's not going to be offered the type of $$$$$$ in the Finnish league

4. He does not play Defense. Trotz instantly puts him in the doghouse for lack of defensive intensity. Trotz wants two-way players really he only wants one-way guys (defense)

5. He a puckhog. Does anyone honestly think this flies with Trotz.

Last edited by Gnashville: 06-21-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old
06-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Hey guys, I really don't want to make a trade thread for this so was hoping to just get a bit of feedback. If the Avs decided they were ok picking whomever was left at #4 provided they got some good assets in return, would the Preds be ok with ponying up Watson + Ekholm to swap picks?

Old
06-22-2013, 09:57 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Hey guys, I really don't want to make a trade thread for this so was hoping to just get a bit of feedback. If the Avs decided they were ok picking whomever was left at #4 provided they got some good assets in return, would the Preds be ok with ponying up Watson + Ekholm to swap picks?
I don't know about polie but I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:00 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Yep... Me too

Old
06-22-2013, 10:01 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Maybe one of the two but not both. Maybe fourth overall, ekholm/Watson, and a fourth/fifth round pick.

Watson is going to be a very solid third/second line guy IMO and is a huge kid, ekholm is going to easily be a top 4-5 defenseman as well, why give up all that when we can most likely get barkov at four, who is so close in talent to mackinnon anyways.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:31 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Maybe one of the two but not both. Maybe fourth overall, ekholm/Watson, and a fourth/fifth round pick.

Watson is going to be a very solid third/second line guy IMO and is a huge kid, ekholm is going to easily be a top 4-5 defenseman as well, why give up all that when we can most likely get barkov at four, who is so close in talent to mackinnon anyways.
Totally agree. Not worth both, and it's iffy with just one. The difference in the top 4 offensive players isn't much.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:33 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

If we are swapping 4th for 1st I think Watson would be the better option if it takes one of those two to get it done. Ekholm still has a place on this team, hopefully playing with Klein to solidify that second unit. Watson, as much as I like the kid, is replaceable, especially if we get Barkov or MacKinnon.

Closed Thread