HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft thread part 3: who will it be?!

View Poll Results: Who do you predict the Preds WILL pick? (it's a will not a want poll)
MacKinnon at #4 (the put the mouse down and get help pick) 0 0%
Jones at #4 (the goin' for the shutout streak record pick) 5 6.02%
Drouin at #4 (the shake and bake pick) 26 31.33%
Barkov at #4 (the Maple my day pick) 39 46.99%
Nichushkin at #4 (the Pulp Fiction brain duty- 615's head exploded pick) 2 2.41%
Lindholm at #4 (the always trust a dog pick) 0 0%
Other at #4 (the WTFx10 pick) 0 0%
MacKinnon after trading up (the OMG pick) 0 0%
Jones after trading up (the classic Poile, no mayo pick) 0 0%
Drouin after trading up (the Poile's been abducted pick) 0 0%
Barkov after trading up (the Fenton is in charge pick) 3 3.61%
Other after trading up (the Mickey Mouse is in charge pick) 1 1.20%
Nichushkin after trading down (the Radulov's ghost pick) 1 1.20%
Lindholm after trading down (the classic Poile, extra cheese pick) 6 7.23%
One of the "top 4" after trading down (the "can I have one of those pills" pick) 0 0%
Other after trading down (the free chicken dinner if correct pick) 0 0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 500
You can now officially rule out Barkov. The just did an interview with Vinny and he has confirmed the buyout call this morning. SO short of moving up to get Mac theres no center to be had at 4.

They just interviewed a Tampa Bay time beat reporter and he is saying that Tampa is going to focus on defense thru Free Agency and trades.

Old
06-27-2013, 04:38 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
You can now officially rule out Barkov. The just did an interview with Vinny and he has confirmed the buyout call this morning. SO short of moving up to get Mac theres no center to be had at 4.

They just interviewed a Tampa Bay time beat reporter and he is saying that Tampa is going to focus on defense thru Free Agency and trades.
lol... let's just wait till Sunday before we start ruling anyone out.

Old
06-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
lol... let's just wait till Sunday before we start ruling anyone out.
Ok Santa may be at the draft too.....

Old
06-27-2013, 05:05 PM
iKiwi

Quote:
Drouin it is then, I'm fine with that

Old
06-27-2013, 05:20 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
tampa is not a lock for barkov

Old
06-27-2013, 05:51 PM
PFL615

Tampa still needs Jones more than Barkov. They have a ton of offensive talent ready to hit the NHL. Besides they fully understand what it's like to lose with several studs on offense and nothing on the back end. Druin is the BPA if Jones and Mac are gone.

Old
06-27-2013, 05:55 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
....I don't think there will be a lot of people in three years saying "I can't believe we picked Jones when we had Monahan right there" (or Lindholm/whatever).

If we really do have a time frame like that, then this draft won't do much to help in that time frame unless we have one of the big 4...IMO.

Trading down to get a lesser player who we hope can one day fill a void, plus two picks in the 20s is a gamble. In that case, we might as well just pick Nichushkin.
Great post and I understand and agree with most of it- or at least admit it makes as much sense as mine! On these three points above, though, I would say:

1. You can almost guarantee that there will be one forward picked after Jones that people say that about. You just don't know which one, which I admit clearly plays to your argument since we might screw it up! Still, there will be that guy.

2. Any of the 5-10 ranked players (particularly forwards) are likely to be on board at the 3 year mark. Lindholm and Nichuskin in particular are expected to be.

3. Just to reiterate, I agree you have to pick Jones if he is available and you stay at #4. However, Nichsukin at #6 and two extra shots in the first round isn't the same as picking Nich at #4.

I'm resigned to taking Jones at #4 and will be happy with having one of the top 4 players in the draft. Given our needs and my thoughts on the spread between Jones vs. Lindholm/Nich and the value of 1st round picks, all I can say is I would take the picks.

Last edited by braindead: 06-27-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old
06-27-2013, 06:13 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
It is not my responsibility to decide what is elite to the Panthers but Campbell's cap hit is 7.14 mil a year. therefore he is paid in the same category as Weber and the others.

If one looks at the forwards they are in the same situation as the Preds. The point is that there just as likely to go forward than to pick Jones at 2. Since they have 4 additional picks in the top 100 they have opportunity to wait to draft defense as well.
remember Campbells cap his is based on evenly paid money. He gets $7 million a year. Weber is a $14 million dollar a year defenseman whose cap hit is artificially lowered by 4 cheap years at the end of his deal. so that means bupkus as far as comparing the two

Old
06-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

If it ends up being Jones there's the option of trading Weber for all the treasures of Atlantis. Of course that's a commitment to a full rebuild which isn't necessarily needed just yet, but it's on the table if it ever comes to that.

"It's Mario Götze!" -Ian Darke
Old
06-27-2013, 08:17 PM
maplepred

1. Anyone ever thought maybe poile says he will take jones no matter what if he is still there at four is blowing smoke?? Maybe he is trying to make teams ahead pick him or maybe if a team a couple slots behind us really wants him and he actually is available at four, then we get a truckload for him! Keep in mind poile also said we would be drafting a forward with the fourth pick. These gms won't reveal their true hands, or they wouldn't have jobs. It's all tactics.

2. If Edmonton offered Eberle and their first for our fourth and halischuk, you take it!! We get hopefully nichushkin but maybe Lindholm, plus Eberle!!

3. Anyone suggesting we trade weber is high, we will have paid out his big bucks and he is best in the league without a no trade clause, that's amazing! Thanks Philly!! Weber can never demand a trade, because we could send him anywhere we want, we could send him to Phoenix or Florida if we want. Jones will never be as good as Shea,

4. We will get drouin or barkov almost 95%, so relax everyone lol. Crack a cold one Sunday and watch our preds nail a key predator of the future!

Go Preds!!!!!

Old
06-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
3. Anyone suggesting we trade weber is high, we will have paid out his big bucks and he is best in the league without a no trade clause, that's amazing! Thanks Philly!! Weber can never demand a trade, because we could send him anywhere we want, we could send him to Phoenix or Florida if we want. Jones will never be as good as Shea
Well it's something for DP to think about, I wouldn't do it that's for sure

Old
06-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Nitrous Mafia

if tampa buys out vinny and gets barkov i will throw things

Old
06-27-2013, 08:56 PM
maplepred

I hear Anaheim wants coburn and Philly first for bobby Ryan, I would imagine they would give us Ryan straight up for our pick....
I think I still make the pick, unless bark, Mack, drouin are all gone at four. I would move jones for BR

Old
06-27-2013, 09:19 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The next two and a half days will feature posturing, lying, and wild speculation. At some point, a draft occurs and the Predators probably pick a player or two.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
I hear Anaheim wants coburn and Philly first for bobby Ryan, I would imagine they would give us Ryan straight up for our pick....
I think I still make the pick, unless bark, Mack, drouin are all gone at four. I would move jones for BR
2 years of Bobby Ryan is not worth our pick. Seth Jones easy pick over Ryan here.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:25 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
if tampa buys out vinny and gets barkov i will throw things
yeah Im saving all my beer bottles until sunday for this reason alone

Old
06-27-2013, 10:50 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:

Not that I don't believe Tampa will try to focus on fixing their defense problem through FA and trades, but those two things are in no way sure bets. If they are truly focused on fixing their defense they should take Jones as well as looking at trades and the free agency market. That's how I look at it, anyway.

Old
06-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Not that I don't believe Tampa will try to focus on fixing their defense problem through FA and trades, but those two things are in no way sure bets. If they are truly focused on fixing their defense they should take Jones as well as looking at trades and the free agency market. That's how I look at it, anyway.
only thing I keep going to is why buy out vinny now with no replacement less they think barkov is ready for the NHL and plan on taking him.. Other wise just wait till next year to buy him out?

Old
06-28-2013, 06:20 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
only thing I keep going to is why buy out vinny now with no replacement less they think barkov is ready for the NHL and plan on taking him.. Other wise just wait till next year to buy him out?
They want cap room for free agency. Why buy him out then Colorado takes mackinnon and Florida takes barkov. That could happen then what?
Tampa isn't stupid, they just want cap room, they are not relying on drafting barkov.

Old
06-28-2013, 07:48 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Buying out Vinny had more to do with the structure of his contract than just about anything. With the new CBA they would have been screwed when he retired because of the penalties. You will see many of these super long contracts get moved or bought out because of this. This is why the nucks can't seem to move Luango. He would be 46 at the end of his contract...

Old
06-28-2013, 08:51 AM
AintLifeGrand

Valery Nichushkin, C – Traktor Chelyabinsk (KHL)
“Certainly he has the physical attributes above most of the other kids. Excellent skater who generates power with his stride. Excellent vision. I had questioned his ability to make the right play in his decisions but man oh man did he prove me wrong. As far as talent, he’s top three.”

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...prospects.html

Old
06-28-2013, 08:57 AM
AintLifeGrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
2 years of Bobby Ryan is not worth our pick. Seth Jones easy pick over Ryan here.
As much as I like Bobby Ryan, he's going to Philly as soon as he is a UFA

Old
06-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Well, my simple answer is that it's emotional. I was at the first Preds game and have seen nearly every game since and I'm starved for scoring goodness. After 15 years... over 1,000 games... I'm desperate for some sizzle. I'll readily admit that it may not be the right move or the smart move. The Bolts were as bad as us but their fans at least got treated to Stamkos and St. Louis. I felt disgusted when we picked Ellis at his spot with Eberle on the board... that may not be logical since Poile had him as the clear BPA but that's where I was.

My more complicated answer is that it's rationale. I believe this team has the foundation in place to make a run during a 3 year window that probably starts in 3 years. That clock is ticking. Weber/Pekka will be at their prime, Josi should be peaking as Suter/Weber did. We should have some solid veteran forwards in place that still have gas in the tank. What we need is one or two or three young buck forwards that can maximize our chances for the Cup. I think our odds of signing them as UFA's or trading for them are very, very, very low. In my view, we likely don't have enough prospects in house that will develop into enough to do that- Wilson and FF are a great core but we need more. This is our best chance to add to that. Every year that passes in getting and developing that kind of asset pushes the window back in my opinion and risks it never arriving.

3 first round picks work for me, where you can get Lindholm/Nich plus two quality first round picks to diversify the risk. I understand the BPA argument, I really do. It probably is the path Poile takes and it's why he is GM. But 2 first round picks is enough for me to logically bridge the gap between Jones and Lindholm/Nich and it is emotionally far more satisfying.
Probably one of the best posts on here in a long time. Well said.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Top 6 Spaling

At this point, my guess is Drouin is the one there at 4. The Avs will take Mac at #1. Florida will take one of Jones/Drouin, and Tampa will probably want Barkov after the Vinny buyout. We get whoever Florida doesn't want, is my guess.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:01 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Well, according to the much mailgned Eklund, there is some speculation that Vinny wanted to stay in Tampa and there was going to be a trade to Toronto, who would then buy him out and that would allow him to re-sgn with Tampa at better money

the NHL nixed that type of deal and apparently has warned all 30 teams that no such deal will be allowed, so the next speculation was that VLC will sign a one year deal somewhere then come back to Tampa after next season for lower money

Closed Thread