HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft thread part 3: who will it be?!

View Poll Results: Who do you predict the Preds WILL pick? (it's a will not a want poll)
MacKinnon at #4 (the put the mouse down and get help pick) 0 0%
Jones at #4 (the goin' for the shutout streak record pick) 5 6.02%
Drouin at #4 (the shake and bake pick) 26 31.33%
Barkov at #4 (the Maple my day pick) 39 46.99%
Nichushkin at #4 (the Pulp Fiction brain duty- 615's head exploded pick) 2 2.41%
Lindholm at #4 (the always trust a dog pick) 0 0%
Other at #4 (the WTFx10 pick) 0 0%
MacKinnon after trading up (the OMG pick) 0 0%
Jones after trading up (the classic Poile, no mayo pick) 0 0%
Drouin after trading up (the Poile's been abducted pick) 0 0%
Barkov after trading up (the Fenton is in charge pick) 3 3.61%
Other after trading up (the Mickey Mouse is in charge pick) 1 1.20%
Nichushkin after trading down (the Radulov's ghost pick) 1 1.20%
Lindholm after trading down (the classic Poile, extra cheese pick) 6 7.23%
One of the "top 4" after trading down (the "can I have one of those pills" pick) 0 0%
Other after trading down (the free chicken dinner if correct pick) 0 0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2013, 11:37 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I'd prefer Gaustad and Blum :-)

Old
06-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Legionnaire11

If the Avs really wanted Watson + Ekholm, i'd have to say yes. How could we pass up on a chance to draft MacKinnon when the asking price doesn't include our top 3 defenders, Rinne, Forsberg or Wilson?

Old
06-22-2013, 12:12 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

If it absolutely took both I would be OK with it, but one would obviously be much better.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:49 PM
maplepred

Both of them is bigtime overpayment. Poile hangs up the phone and laughs

Old
06-22-2013, 01:10 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Maybe one of the two but not both. Maybe fourth overall, ekholm/Watson, and a fourth/fifth round pick.

Watson is going to be a very solid third/second line guy IMO and is a huge kid, ekholm is going to easily be a top 4-5 defenseman as well, why give up all that when we can most likely get barkov at four, who is so close in talent to mackinnon anyways.
The problem is we very well might not get barkov at 4. We could easily wind up with jones or nichuskin only left. Watson and ekholm, as good as they may someday be, are replaceable parts. We will never get another chance at a mackinnon.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:48 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
The problem is we very well might not get barkov at 4. We could easily wind up with jones or nichuskin only left. Watson and ekholm, as good as they may someday be, are replaceable parts. We will never get another chance at a mackinnon.
Bingo

Old
06-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Loffer

Just pick Barkov at # 4 and never look back. And yes, he will be there.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Thanks for the feedback guys. If the Avs stay true to their word and pick a forward, I'm expecting it to be Mack ("BPA" even though I disagree) or Barkov since he seems to be their favorite and is also an Avs fan.

If we pick a center, Florida almost certainly picks the other and Tampa prolly picks Jones which leaves you guys with Drouin or maybe Jones.

If you really want that center, you probably should move up. I'm more partial to Jones or Drouin myself and one of them should be there at #4 if we swap with you guys. And being future rivals, I'd want to make sure we don't gift you a #1 center without a but extra going our way. Ekholm fills that left handed hole we have on the 2nd or 3rd pairing and Watson fills our hole at RW in the org (and I'm a huge fan of his). Then there's Jones or Drouin fill our top pairing defender or top line wing hole.

Basically a perfect retool for the Avs towards the future and a chance for Nashville to finally get that franchise center.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:39 PM
maplepred

Barkov is an avs fan??

Quote:
Drouin would be available then in this case and I would gladly have a dynamite forward like him on board as well, just would prefer the centre, but how much does preference play a factor over bpa??

Old
06-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Barkov is an avs fan??
Yep, so is Drouin. Barkov posted on twitter the other day him playing NHL 13 and winning the SC with the Avs and has had two or three interviews with them.

http://eurolanche.com/article.php?id=3205

He said he models his game after Lindros too.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:54 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He'll be a fan of whoever picks him.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:54 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Barkov is an avs fan??

Drouin would be available then in this case and I would gladly have a dynamite forward like him on board as well, just would prefer the centre, but how much does preference play a factor over bpa??
not necessarily.

Mack barkov and drouin could easily go 1,2,3... then we woulg only have jones or the wildcard russian

as was said above, if we are determined to get a center, we need to try to trade up to be sure, and if we are trading up, trading all the way up to 1 makes most sense

Old
06-22-2013, 03:58 PM
maplepred

Quote:
not necessarily.

Mack barkov and drouin could easily go 1,2,3... then we woulg only have jones or the wildcard russian

as was said above, if we are determined to get a center, we need to try to trade up to be sure, and if we are trading up, trading all the way up to 1 makes most sense
I just can't see jones dropping out of the top 3, but I guess stranger things have happened.

We could also talk to Florida and change picks with them and still guaranteed bark or Mack. Would Florida make the better trading partner than Colorado?

Old
06-22-2013, 05:33 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I just can't see jones dropping out of the top 3, but I guess stranger things have happened.

We could also talk to Florida and change picks with them and still guaranteed bark or Mack. Would Florida make the better trading partner than Colorado?
what has been speculated is florda is dead set on mackinnon so the only way i can see them trading down is if colorado takes mac and they decide that any of the three remaining big 4 is acceptable and trade down after colorado makes their pick

Old
06-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
This is my mind set

Old
06-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Byrddog

Defensemen taken #1 in the draft

2006 Erik Johnson St Louis
1996 Chris Phillips Ottawa
1995 Bryan Berard Ottawa
1994 Ed Jovanovski Florida
1992 Roman Hamrlik Tampa
1982 Gord Kluzak Boston
1979 Rob Ramage Colorado
1976 Rick Green Washington
1974 Greg Joly Washington
1973 Denis Potvin Islanders

10 overall 1sts in last in last 40 years
Potvin by far the most successful 3 Norris trophy's and 4 Stanley Cups.

This does not mean Jones is not seriously looked at but is the other three are as skilled as everyone thinks I will be a good bet that Jones is there at 4th pick. The forwards are touted as franchise players. With Colorado and Nashville looking at center Florida being a wild card could take Jones or draft for offense. Tampa is interested in Barkov, Druion, and Nich with rumors of buying out Vinny, Barkov would be there target unless they can move up and get Mac.

It is not logical for Colorado to swap with anyone but Tampa then Mac would go to Tampa at 1 and Barkov would likely be Colorados pick at 3. Florida would TAke Druion or Jones and the trending opinion would be Druion. Leaving Nashville at 4th with Jones or Nich. Poile then either takes Jones or trades down as far as 7 and takes Monahan or Lindholm and what ever the best offer he gets from the 5 thru 7 picking team. It would take an staggering trade to get Colorado to drp to 4th. Something that that most fans would not like.

Old
06-22-2013, 07:35 PM
maplepred

If we leave this draft with Lindholm or monahan that's weak imo

Old
06-22-2013, 08:09 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Defensemen taken #1 in the draft

2006 Erik Johnson St Louis
1996 Chris Phillips Ottawa
1995 Bryan Berard Ottawa
1994 Ed Jovanovski Florida
1992 Roman Hamrlik Tampa
1982 Gord Kluzak Boston
1979 Rob Ramage Colorado
1976 Rick Green Washington
1974 Greg Joly Washington
1973 Denis Potvin Islanders

10 overall 1sts in last in last 40 years
Potvin by far the most successful 3 Norris trophy's and 4 Stanley Cups.

This does not mean Jones is not seriously looked at but is the other three are as skilled as everyone thinks I will be a good bet that Jones is there at 4th pick. The forwards are touted as franchise players. With Colorado and Nashville looking at center Florida being a wild card could take Jones or draft for offense. Tampa is interested in Barkov, Druion, and Nich with rumors of buying out Vinny, Barkov would be there target unless they can move up and get Mac.

It is not logical for Colorado to swap with anyone but Tampa then Mac would go to Tampa at 1 and Barkov would likely be Colorados pick at 3. Florida would TAke Druion or Jones and the trending opinion would be Druion. Leaving Nashville at 4th with Jones or Nich. Poile then either takes Jones or trades down as far as 7 and takes Monahan or Lindholm and what ever the best offer he gets from the 5 thru 7 picking team. It would take an staggering trade to get Colorado to drp to 4th. Something that that most fans would not like.
I agree. I'm sure they are getting hit from all sides about this pick, and we'd probably have to give up someone like Wilson or Josi to get them to listen to a pick swap.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:03 PM
PFL615

All smoke imo. Great for keeping people talking. Jones goes #1, Mack #2, ? #3, Barkov/Druin #4.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:39 PM
maplepred

Colorado has Erik Johnson and Tampa has hedman, only team I can see really wanting jones is Florida, maybe their wanting Mack so badly is just blowing smoke as well.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:12 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I'm ready for the damn draft. All this smoke is driving me crazy. I've been all hyped on Barkov but now all of this talk of not drafting a dman #1 overall is throwing a kink in the chain. I honestly would not be upset if we had to choose between Jones/Nich. I would take Jones no doubt. However, we all know we NEED that franchise Center. Please let Barkov be there at #4.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:41 AM
maplepred

I agree we need Mack or barkov. Would make this tanking season totally so worth it!
But if those two were gone when we picked, and we had choice between nich and jones or drouin, would it really be that bad if we drafted nichushkin??

The scouts just keep raving about this guys talent! Plus he is huge! We can always have Wilson be his centre.

The guy did get out of a khl contract to make himself available to the NHL for this coming season, that shows commitment IMO right there he wants to be in this league.
I also think trotz would have to be forced to let him play his game or it's his job. He let radulov play his game, same with kariya, forsberg, and Sullivan.

Nichushkin may not be a bad thing necessarily. If all went well be would end up being the best player/forward out of this draft easily.

I want bark or Mack, but the more I think about it, I would not be angry with nichushkin. I just think be needs a more manly first name! Lmao

Old
06-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
I agree we need Mack or barkov. Would make this tanking season totally so worth it!
But if those two were gone when we picked, and we had choice between nich and jones or drouin, would it really be that bad if we drafted nichushkin??

The scouts just keep raving about this guys talent! Plus he is huge! We can always have Wilson be his centre.

The guy did get out of a khl contract to make himself available to the NHL for this coming season, that shows commitment IMO right there he wants to be in this league.
I also think trotz would have to be forced to let him play his game or it's his job. He let radulov play his game, same with kariya, forsberg, and Sullivan.

Nichushkin may not be a bad thing necessarily. If all went well be would end up being the best player/forward out of this draft easily.

I want bark or Mack, but the more I think about it, I would not be angry with nichushkin. I just think be needs a more manly first name! Lmao
Nichuskin would be a disaster for this franchise. We need someone who wants to play in Nashville not run back to the KHL. You speak about commitment but is he really committed? Even Radulov stayed in North America and Played in Quebec and Milwaukee. I don't see him and Trotz getting along at all. He does not play Defense, a puckhog, and lazy. This is what the scouts say about him not raving. Not qualities that get you ice time under Barry Trotz. And if he's not getting ice time he's running back to Moscow for good. We will be in the McDavid sweepstakes if we draft Nichuskin. Worst player possible player in the draft for the Predators to take. Why waste the #4 overall on someone who will never play for you. He is only good for us to take if he is to be used as trade bait on draft day.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:21 AM
glenngineer

So looking back at draft day trades, Florida and Columbus in 2002 swapped Nash for Bouwmeester and the price was the option to swap first round picks in 2003 which Florida declined. The following year, Pittsburgh and Florida swapped first round picks, Fleury for Horton with Florida gaining Mikael Samuelsson and a second round pick and Pittsburgh gaining a third round pick. In 1999, Atlanta and Vancouver swapped the 1st and 2nd picks with Vancouver gaining a third round pick. Sedin for Stefan. In 1998 we swapped the third pick for the second pick with San Jose. San Jose received a second rounder and we received a third rounder.

So all that said, people who are saying we need to give up a boatload to move up to either the number 1 or 2 slot are out of their minds. Moving up two slots has basically required at most a second round pick. Seeing that we don't have a second round pick this year, that may hose us but giving up one player like Watson, Bourque, Ekholm, Smith or Beck will more than get it done. Anyone who fancies having to give up two is not realistic based on history. I would say two picks would get it done, a third this year and a second next year, at most. And to be honest, I don't think we need to move up to number 1 to get the player we want. Moving up to number 2 will get us who we want because if Mac is gone, we can assure ourselves of Barkov and if it means giving up a second and/or third, we do it. No need to give up two roster players in this deal at all.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:22 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

It amazes me how those of us here can dismiss any of these kids as options without ever meeting them or sitting on the team meetings where they discuss the draft. The KHL aspect gives Nichuskin an added factor to consider, but, the immediate linkage to Radulov is flawed. Europeans have a few more options than North American kids when it comes to minor league assignments. The Preds sent Ekholm back to the SEL for a year ... funny how I don't see anyone slamming him for that choice.

There is a reason for the interviews conducted at the combine. There is a reason why the team has professional scouts on both sides of the Atlantic actually watching these kids play and doesn't rely on Youtube highlight compilations. The team is trying to determine how these kids will fit into the team and how they will develop over the next 3-10 years in multiple aspects .... physically, mentally, professionally to name just a few. The draft is a crapshoot .... although one with loaded dice that better the odds of success for the early picks.

Maybe MacKinnon is a stud day one in the NHL or maybe it turns out there is a reason why his teammate won the CHL player of the year over him. Maybe Jones turns into Hamhuis 2.0 or Drouin's size stymies his potential in with the big boys. Maybe the fears about Nich come true, maybe they are nothing more than paranoia. Maybe Barkov's 2-way play is more Smithson in the NHL than Datsyuk. The issue is that the only way to find out is to pick one and put them in the system. These are all highly talented KIDS with a ton of potential ... figuring out which will do the Predators the most good is a full time job.

Closed Thread