HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft thread part 3: who will it be?!

View Poll Results: Who do you predict the Preds WILL pick? (it's a will not a want poll)
MacKinnon at #4 (the put the mouse down and get help pick) 0 0%
Jones at #4 (the goin' for the shutout streak record pick) 5 6.02%
Drouin at #4 (the shake and bake pick) 26 31.33%
Barkov at #4 (the Maple my day pick) 39 46.99%
Nichushkin at #4 (the Pulp Fiction brain duty- 615's head exploded pick) 2 2.41%
Lindholm at #4 (the always trust a dog pick) 0 0%
Other at #4 (the WTFx10 pick) 0 0%
MacKinnon after trading up (the OMG pick) 0 0%
Jones after trading up (the classic Poile, no mayo pick) 0 0%
Drouin after trading up (the Poile's been abducted pick) 0 0%
Barkov after trading up (the Fenton is in charge pick) 3 3.61%
Other after trading up (the Mickey Mouse is in charge pick) 1 1.20%
Nichushkin after trading down (the Radulov's ghost pick) 1 1.20%
Lindholm after trading down (the classic Poile, extra cheese pick) 6 7.23%
One of the "top 4" after trading down (the "can I have one of those pills" pick) 0 0%
Other after trading down (the free chicken dinner if correct pick) 0 0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-23-2013, 10:37 AM
  #76
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 500
I still hope Barkov is still on the board when nashville picks. He's Trotz like player and he is very coachable. Does all the little things correctly and plays non risk game. He is basically a perfect player to flourish under Trotz coaching. I don't see any other player that fits preds better than Barkov and vice versa.

There is strong rumours that Barkov is the main target for Avs. They are probably looking to move 1 spot down to get him. If Avs drafts MacKinnon Barkov could very well end up as a panther. It would drop Jones and Drouin for you which would be still pretty amazing but Barkov is the grand prize.

thomast is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 10:41 AM
  #77
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 12,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So looking back at draft day trades, Florida and Columbus in 2002 swapped Nash for Bouwmeester and the price was the option to swap first round picks in 2003 which Florida declined. The following year, Pittsburgh and Florida swapped first round picks, Fleury for Horton with Florida gaining Mikael Samuelsson and a second round pick and Pittsburgh gaining a third round pick. In 1999, Atlanta and Vancouver swapped the 1st and 2nd picks with Vancouver gaining a third round pick. Sedin for Stefan. In 1998 we swapped the third pick for the second pick with San Jose. San Jose received a second rounder and we received a third rounder.

So all that said, people who are saying we need to give up a boatload to move up to either the number 1 or 2 slot are out of their minds. Moving up two slots has basically required at most a second round pick. Seeing that we don't have a second round pick this year, that may hose us but giving up one player like Watson, Bourque, Ekholm, Smith or Beck will more than get it done. Anyone who fancies having to give up two is not realistic based on history. I would say two picks would get it done, a third this year and a second next year, at most. And to be honest, I don't think we need to move up to number 1 to get the player we want. Moving up to number 2 will get us who we want because if Mac is gone, we can assure ourselves of Barkov and if it means giving up a second and/or third, we do it. No need to give up two roster players in this deal at all.
The problem with moving up is always availability, not assets. Colorado holds all the cards here. I'm betting on them staying put, but if they were to move down, I doubt they go as low as 4th. Same with Florida

Paranoid Android is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 10:44 AM
  #78
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
The problem with moving up is always availability, not assets. Colorado holds all the cards here. I'm betting on them staying put, but if they were to move down, I doubt they go as low as 4th. Same with Florida
It's pretty much between Avs and FLA. I don't see Avs trading any lower than 2nd because they might not get their target.

thomast is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 10:45 AM
  #79
glenngineer
HF Partner
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
The problem with moving up is always availability, not assets. Colorado holds all the cards here. I'm betting on them staying put, but if they were to move down, I doubt they go as low as 4th. Same with Florida
Colorado is going to stay put and take MacKinnon is my best guess. Moving up to 2 will still land Florida either Drouin or Jones as we'd take Barkov so they'd still get what they want/need and land an additional pick which I could see them doing.

glenngineer is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 10:49 AM
  #80
AintLifeGrand
Crunchy Jamz Brah
 
AintLifeGrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Country: Tibet
Posts: 3,170
vCash: 500
DP needs to do whatever he can to get Barkov...he is simply the best fit for the Preds .

Something like this needs to happen

to Nash: 1st overall, Stastny,
to Col: 4th overall, Watson, Arberg, Gaustad,

AintLifeGrand is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 10:57 AM
  #81
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 12,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Colorado is going to stay put and take MacKinnon is my best guess. Moving up to 2 will still land Florida either Drouin or Jones as we'd take Barkov so they'd still get what they want/need and land an additional pick which I could see them doing.
I still rank Drouin over Barkov so if we were to move up to #2 that's who I'd hope we take. Just my 2 cents. I think Barkov goes 4th overall no matter what so if that's who we want then we should stay put.

This is shaping up to be a very interesting draft though. I can't recall one recently with so many questions among the top picks.

Paranoid Android is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 11:18 AM
  #82
Predsrule
Registered User
 
Predsrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
DP needs to do whatever he can to get Barkov...he is simply the best fit for the Preds .

Something like this needs to happen

to Nash: 1st overall, Stastny,
to Col: 4th overall, Watson, Arberg, Gaustad,
Not enough for col.. And if we move up and grab the first we better be picking Mac..

Predsrule is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 12:08 PM
  #83
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
Not enough for col.. And if we move up and grab the first we better be picking Mac..
Colorado fleeces us in that trade! Are you serious??

Stastny is fisher 2.0, and we give up aberg (who is looking like a stud), Watson (who has second/third line NHL potential), gaustad (who we need big time when healthy), plus fourth overall??
Stastny is not that good people, I would rather stay put at four and still get amazing player and not lose so many assets. That's craziness.

I really can't see jones, drouin and Mack not being top three.


And why do people keep calling nichushkin radulov?!?! Who here has ever met him??
The guy plays in the khl, why would he want to play in a lesser league in the ahl?!?! And the argument is irrelevant because guaranteed he is in NHL next season. Whoever says scouts say all this terrible stuff about him, I dunno, I've heard a lot of comparing him to malkin, can't be saying that bad of stuff about the kid.

maplepred is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 12:09 PM
  #84
Gnashville
Large teeth no bite
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Crossville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 7,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
It amazes me how those of us here can dismiss any of these kids as options without ever meeting them or sitting on the team meetings where they discuss the draft. The KHL aspect gives Nichuskin an added factor to consider, but, the immediate linkage to Radulov is flawed. Europeans have a few more options than North American kids when it comes to minor league assignments. The Preds sent Ekholm back to the SEL for a year ... funny how I don't see anyone slamming him for that choice.

There is a reason for the interviews conducted at the combine. There is a reason why the team has professional scouts on both sides of the Atlantic actually watching these kids play and doesn't rely on Youtube highlight compilations. The team is trying to determine how these kids will fit into the team and how they will develop over the next 3-10 years in multiple aspects .... physically, mentally, professionally to name just a few. The draft is a crapshoot .... although one with loaded dice that better the odds of success for the early picks.

Maybe MacKinnon is a stud day one in the NHL or maybe it turns out there is a reason why his teammate won the CHL player of the year over him. Maybe Jones turns into Hamhuis 2.0 or Drouin's size stymies his potential in with the big boys. Maybe the fears about Nich come true, maybe they are nothing more than paranoia. Maybe Barkov's 2-way play is more Smithson in the NHL than Datsyuk. The issue is that the only way to find out is to pick one and put them in the system. These are all highly talented KIDS with a ton of potential ... figuring out which will do the Predators the most good is a full time job.
Ekholm was a 4th round pick so there was no danger in allowing him to return to a league where he made peanuts. Nichuskin has a chance to make millions in the KHL. Maybe I would be more willing to give him a chance if not for Radulov. But why take that chance if there are other options available? Talk about fitting in to this team, how will he fit?? Trotz dog housed Colin Wilson who was a leader and two player at BU leading his team to a National Championship. What would Trotz do to someone he can't relate to at all?? Physically he seems to have all the tools, mentality I just don't see it; Trotz is going to destroy him, and he has another chance professionally which is a better situation. Why roll the dice on someone like him when every time you do it comes up snake eyes? Jones, Drouin, Lindholm, Monahan, are 100 times the safer pick. If Nichuskin is who Poile takes then so be it. It's his job on the line not mine. I would only have him on this team if Trotz was gone or if I could sign him as a undrafted free agent.

Gnashville is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 12:27 PM
  #85
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Ekholm was a 4th round pick so there was no danger in allowing him to return to a league where he made peanuts. Nichuskin has a chance to make millions in the KHL. Maybe I would be more willing to give him a chance if not for Radulov. But why take that chance if there are other options available? Talk about fitting in to this team, how will he fit?? Trotz dog housed Colin Wilson who was a leader and two player at BU leading his team to a National Championship. What would Trotz do to someone he can't relate to at all?? Physically he seems to have all the tools, mentality I just don't see it; Trotz is going to destroy him, and he has another chance professionally which is a better situation. Why roll the dice on someone like him when every time you do it comes up snake eyes? Jones, Drouin, Lindholm, Monahan, are 100 times the safer pick. If Nichuskin is who Poile takes then so be it. It's his job on the line not mine. I would only have him on this team if Trotz was gone or if I could sign him as a undrafted free agent.
Other options available?
What if bark, Mack and drouin go top three, would you rather not get a superstar forward prospect and draft jones or get one of the big forwards and take nich??

And you are saying you would rather have Lindholm or monahan than nichushkin?!?! Really?!

maplepred is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 12:49 PM
  #86
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hermitage, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,959
vCash: 500
I'll admit the russian factor scares me some too. Not just Radulov saga, but see what happened with Columbus and drafting Filatov really high. I just hope it's not between Nich/Jones so we don't have to worry about this.

kypredsfan is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 01:03 PM
  #87
PredsV82
Polishing Turds
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turdistan
Country: Poland
Posts: 21,252
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I'll admit the russian factor scares me some too. Not just Radulov saga, but see what happened with Columbus and drafting Filatov really high. I just hope it's not between Nich/Jones so we don't have to worry about this.
exactly. as long as one of the three teams ahead of us takes Jones, we are guaranteed a great option, be it barkov, drouin, or mackinnon.

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 01:12 PM
  #88
glenngineer
HF Partner
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
exactly. as long as one of the three teams ahead of us takes Jones, we are guaranteed a great option, be it barkov, drouin, or mackinnon.
Even then Jones is a great option for the second pair or to use as trade bait.

glenngineer is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 01:25 PM
  #89
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 9,280
vCash: 500
Yotes fan in peace. I do think that if there's a window to move up to the 1st and draft MacKinnon/Barkov, Nashville should absolutely jump on it. But at the very least, I think Poile should get on the phone with Yzerman and try swapping spots with Tampa to guarantee obtaining one of Mack, Barkov, or Drouin. The cost of doing so shouldn't be much, and the Bolts should be happy with drafting either Jones or Nisch at 4 as well.

IPreferPi is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 01:26 PM
  #90
Gnashville
Large teeth no bite
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Crossville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 7,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Other options available?
What if bark, Mack and drouin go top three, would you rather not get a superstar forward prospect and draft jones or get one of the big forwards and take nich??

And you are saying you would rather have Lindholm or monahan than nichushkin?!?! Really?!
Let's see
Seth Jones: A player who already fits into your defensive System, Has ties to the State of Tennessee, Is marketable in you city, Is willing to develop in your minor league system, an is not wanting to run off to his home country to make 10 times more money, is hard working and has very few flaws
OR
Valeri Nichuskin: A player who instantly goes to you coaches' doghouse, has a poor work ethic and Does not always give the most effort, is not marketable since the last Russian player you drafted is loathed by your fans, is not willing to play in your minor league system; Oh and has a contract in a league that you have already lost 2 players to that offer millions more money.

Let me think about this: Seth Jones or trade down and draft Lindholm, Nurse, or Monahan or even Domi.


Last edited by Gnashville: 06-23-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Gnashville is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 02:12 PM
  #91
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
If we have weber locked up longterm and josi as well we don't need jones. Why draft a guy to just trade him???

People can say what they want of nichushkin but until he actually was drafted by us then ran back to Russia there is no way of saying that. There are lots of Russians in the NHL that love it here.

Nichushkin could be best forward from this draft.

And why play in ahl?? It's like playing in NHL then being demoted.

Khl/NHL >>> ahl

maplepred is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 02:48 PM
  #92
PredsV82
Polishing Turds
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turdistan
Country: Poland
Posts: 21,252
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Even then Jones is a great option for the second pair or to use as trade bait.
Disagree. As I have said before this is probably our only chance to get a franchise forward. And with weber and josi jones is overkill. Nobody is going to trade us a franchise forward for jones.

If its jones or nich at 4 I hope poile has the balls to take a chance on the russian

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 02:56 PM
  #93
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
I see Nichushkin as almost a sure bust and a guy who is just not a good fit in Trotzs defensively responsible system.

There are 4elite players in this draft, to not come out if the draft with one of them is s major failure.

RaiderDoug is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 03:00 PM
  #94
glenngineer
HF Partner
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Disagree. As I have said before this is probably our only chance to get a franchise forward. And with weber and josi jones is overkill. Nobody is going to trade us a franchise forward for jones.

If its jones or nich at 4 I hope poile has the balls to take a chance on the russian
But if you have Jones and he's the player he's supposed to be you trade Weber for a kings ransom. Weber can get us an elite forward and you know what you're getting at that point. We'd still have Jones, Josi and Klein as our top 3 dmen so we'd be set there. Sometimes you have to think further outside the box then what's right before you.

glenngineer is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 03:41 PM
  #95
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess
 
Dave is a killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mount Juliet
Country: Italy
Posts: 26,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
But if you have Jones and he's the player he's supposed to be you trade Weber for a kings ransom. Weber can get us an elite forward and you know what you're getting at that point. We'd still have Jones, Josi and Klein as our top 3 dmen so we'd be set there. Sometimes you have to think further outside the box then what's right before you.
What do those three players have in common though ... I'll give you no hints, because you probably already know the answer.

Dave is a killer is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 03:42 PM
  #96
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
Or Josi gets concussed this year and Lombardi's his way toward retirement. You pick the best player, whoever the Preds think that is after taking all, all, all factors into consideration. If that is Nichushkin in that scenario, I'm good with it. If it's Jones, I'm good with it. We all know we want a center but you take what is there to make your team better.

braindead is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 04:08 PM
  #97
Nothing Is New
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 605
vCash: 500
We're talking about a bunch of scenarios and all are possible. Hope the Preds have the various options scoped out and are ready to react right away Sunday. They need to have their own reports on about 8 guys: the top 3 offensive guys, Jones, then Lindholm, Nichuskin, Monahan and maybe even Nurse. If we can get a top line offensive player in return (in addition to a good 1 pick), then we might consider something at Nurse's level.

Nothing Is New is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 04:11 PM
  #98
Gnashville
Large teeth no bite
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Crossville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 7,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
If we have weber locked up longterm and josi as well we don't need jones. Why draft a guy to just trade him???

People can say what they want of nichushkin but until he actually was drafted by us then ran back to Russia there is no way of saying that. There are lots of Russians in the NHL that love it here.

Nichushkin could be best forward from this draft.

And why play in ahl?? It's like playing in NHL then being demoted.

Khl/NHL >>> ahl
Taking the Russian Factor out of it.
How does he fit in Trotz's system? Trotz ruins offensive guys and with Nichuskin being high draft pick the pressure to produce points would be too much for a young kid especially with a coach that quite frankly hates goals with a passion. Nick Spaling is a young player that Trotz loves because he plays defense 1st. Colin Wilson is 3 times more talented yet Spaling has played more games in his career. Trotz could turn a 19 year old Wayne Gretzky into 60 point player.

Gnashville is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 04:37 PM
  #99
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 12,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Taking the Russian Factor out of it.
How does he fit in Trotz's system? Trotz ruins offensive guys and with Nichuskin being high draft pick the pressure to produce points would be too much for a young kid especially with a coach that quite frankly hates goals with a passion. Nick Spaling is a young player that Trotz loves because he plays defense 1st. Colin Wilson is 3 times more talented yet Spaling has played more games in his career. Trotz could turn a 19 year old Wayne Gretzky into 60 point player.
So wouldn't the logical solution be to get rid of Trotz?

Paranoid Android is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 04:50 PM
  #100
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,578
vCash: 500
The Preds will end up with Barkov or Drouin. If it's a matter of Jones and the Nichuskin. The Preds gladly take Jones and smile. Jones has been said to be the best player in the draft for awhile now. Nashville would be thrilled to get that at #4. It's not going to happen though no matter what the 3 before us release to the media. Jones will go #1 or #2.

PFL615 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.