HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades, Proposals, and Free Agent Talk XIX

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2013, 08:37 AM
The Magic Man
With God given hands

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by K19 View Post
I don't understand the Bernier craze. Yes, Reimer has his weaknesses (rebound control and glove), but overall he played very good last season + playoffs. I don't think we should be worry too much about getting a backup who might become a 1B to Reimer's 1A. Are there people who would actually trade our 1st (21st) for Bernier? I think that's ludicrous. Call me crazy but I really like Frattin as a 2nd/3rd liner and wouldn't trade him for Bernier. I'm not against Bernier, but I don't know if I'd trade Frattin for him. Maybe a 2nd in this stacked draft class + a lesser prospect. Even the 2nd could net a good prospect. But that's probably my limit, personally.
I'd trade Frattin in a heartbeat for Bernier. They are both still unproven as players but I think Bernier's limited numbers say everything. His stats are incredible and he has never been questioned as a scouted prospect. I haven't enough of Bernier to know for sure, but I don't think Frattin is much more then a 2nd liner in his prime, if at all. My guess is there is more to that 'significant offer' then just Frattin.

But I certainly don't want to move a 1st this year. Not with this crop of propsects. I'd be reluctant to give up a 2nd. I'd go as high as Kulemin and a good prospect, easily.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:48 AM
notdoneyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
I'd trade Frattin in a heartbeat for Bernier. They are both still unproven as players but I think Bernier's limited numbers say everything. His stats are incredible and he has never been questioned as a scouted prospect. I haven't enough of Bernier to know for sure, but I don't think Frattin is much more then a 2nd liner in his prime, if at all. My guess is there is more to that 'significant offer' then just Frattin.

But I certainly don't want to move a 1st this year. Not with this crop of propsects. I'd be reluctant to give up a 2nd. I'd go as high as Kulemin and a good prospect, easily.
LA does not have the cap space to take on kulemin's contract.
If something is going back to LA its prospects and picks.

if they do take kulemin then they have to make a decision who to sign
ie. clifford - Nolan - Lewis. They cant sign them all.

I think this is what Nonis was referring to when he said some RFA's
may not be qualified. Any of those three would look good in blue and white

Old
06-22-2013, 08:51 AM
K19*

Yeah, the more I think about it i don't think I'd trade our 2nd this year for Bernier.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdoneyet View Post
LA does not have the cap space to take on kulemin's contract.
If something is going back to LA its prospects and picks.

if they do take kulemin then they have to make a decision who to sign
ie. clifford - Nolan - Lewis. They cant sign them all.

I think this is what Nonis was referring to when he said some RFA's
may not be qualified. Any of those three would look good in blue and white
LA has almost 8 million in cap space, and Jake Muzzin is likely their toughest signing.

Martinez, Clifford, Lewis, and Nolan are all cheap contracts.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:22 AM
416Leafer

What about the sum of the following trade ideas. I think all 3 are fairly realistic, though people can obviously point out flaws in my reasoning if theyre way off:

Trade 1: DiPietro + 15th overall + Brock Nelson for Komi
- Gives us flexibility with draft picks, and adds a likely 3rd line C. Doesnt subtract from NYI main core, and removes that 24M$ burden in return for 3.5M of Komi.

Trade 2: Frattin + Scrivens + 2nd for Bernier + 3rd
-Solidifies goaltending for the longterm. Between Reimer/Bernier, we could be quite confident that at least one of them would become a legit consistent good NHL starter. Gives LA two cheap players and an upgraded pick. They could use a winger and a backup goalie (if Bernier is gone).

Trade 3: Gardiner for 7th overall.
- Centre position desperately needs a BIG upgrade. Losing Gardiner would suck, but we could also supplement the loss of Gardiner with guys like Morrissey/Pulock/etc with the 15th/21st overall picks. Edm does it because theyre extremely weak on the blueline, especially in terms of PMD. Gardiner has previously played with Schultz, and is NHL ready.

We would have the 7th, 15th, and 21st overall picks. We could draft for example Monahan + Morrissey + Erne.

We would lose Gardiner/Frattin, but add Bernier. Solidifes goaltending longterm, significantly upgrades the upside to our longterm Centre position, and even adds Morrissey/Erne (or other options such as Pulock/Mantha/Lazar/etc) to ease the longterm loss of Gardiner/Frattin.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:38 AM
notdoneyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
LA has almost 8 million in cap space, and Jake Muzzin is likely their toughest signing.

Martinez, Clifford, Lewis, and Nolan are all cheap contracts.
your right 7.6M in cap space

to sign

clifford muzzin martinez lewis nolan and ellerby

The have to be offered more than their previos contract

clifford will get 1.M
Lewis will get 1.5M
martinez will ge 1M
Nolan will get 1.5M
ellerby will get 1M
muzzin will get at least 1M

Lewis and Nolan may want more and hold out - they were and are key cogs
to the success of the kings. They compliment Kopitar Richards etc

Now that we have spent all their money how can they
afford to take salary back in a bernier trade.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Daisy Jane
trust the vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
What about the sum of the following trade ideas. I think all 3 are fairly realistic, though people can obviously point out flaws in my reasoning if theyre way off:

- Gives us flexibility with draft picks, and adds a likely 3rd line C. Doesnt subtract from NYI main core, and removes that 24M$ burden in return for 3.5M of Komi.

-Solidifies goaltending for the longterm. Between Reimer/Bernier, we could be quite confident that at least one of them would become a legit consistent good NHL starter. Gives LA two cheap players and an upgraded pick. They could use a winger and a backup goalie (if Bernier is gone).

- Centre position desperately needs a BIG upgrade. Losing Gardiner would suck, but we could also supplement the loss of Gardiner with guys like Morrissey/Pulock/etc with the 15th/21st overall picks. Edm does it because theyre extremely weak on the blueline, especially in terms of PMD. Gardiner has previously played with Schultz, and is NHL ready.

We would have the 7th, 15th, and 21st overall picks. We could draft for example Monahan + Morrissey + Erne.

We would lose Gardiner/Frattin, but add Bernier. Solidifes goaltending longterm, significantly upgrades the upside to our longterm Centre position, and even adds Morrissey/Erne (or other options such as Pulock/Mantha/Lazar/etc) to ease the longterm loss of Gardiner/Frattin.
if the 5th is available via Carolina, I would rather offer Gardiner for the 5th.

After watching Game of Thrones I'm trying to apply the whole "don't get attached to anyone" on the Leafs aspect. In reality, I don't think I would trade Gardiner for just anyone so i think the Leafs will only do it if that. Monahan/Lindholm etc. can REALLLLLY make a difference.

and I also think and people can correct me if this is an error in judgement - that a lot of GMs know who apprx. is going to be bought out with the first round of amnesties (either the "freebee" one, or the one that actually goes on the cap). so I could totally see Nonis & Co trade to draft some centres [which is needed], and shore up on defense via UFA/Buyout

Interactif is of the belief that Rielly makes camp this year (which wouldn't surprise me in the least). so if he's got the head to make the team it might make the Gardiner sting not hurt so much.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:11 AM
sommervr

Only way I would trade Gardiner is if we could get Barkov out of it. That is not going to happen so no deal.

Waiting 2-3 years for Lindholm/Monohan/Nurse while Kessel and Phaneuf get older doesn't appeal to me.

Realistically anyone selected at 7th would be helping even less than Hamilton/Seguin are helping Boston right now for years to come.

Barkov can step in right away but he is out of reach.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
your right 7.6M in cap space

to sign

clifford muzzin martinez lewis nolan and ellerby

The have to be offered more than their previos contract

clifford will get 1.M
Lewis will get 1.5M
martinez will ge 1M
Nolan will get 1.5M
ellerby will get 1M
muzzin will get at least 1M

Lewis and Nolan may want more and hold out - they were and are key cogs
to the success of the kings. They compliment Kopitar Richards etc

Now that we have spent all their money how can they
afford to take salary back in a bernier trade.
Trevor Lewis was important, but Clifford and Nolan were not. Clifford fills a role, but he is easily replaced if he wants too much money. If I'm LA, I don't even try to re-sign Nolan.

Jake Muzzin will be important in the future, so they'll keep him. Martinez is a spare part, so they'll only keep him if he stays for cheap, since he is easily replaced. Keaton Ellerby is useless, and I wouldn't even want him back.

Lewis probably gets 1.5.
Clifford probably gets 1.0
Muzzin probably gets 1.5
Martinez probably gets 1.0
Nolan and Ellerby walk.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:46 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I'm sick of hearing about this "slap in the face to Reimer" Nonis has to do what's best for the team, not worry about people's feelings. #Truth
Actually, taking into account the psychological impact to both the individual and the team is often critical to doing what's best for the team.

I haven't seen this brought up so I'll mention it.

Toronto is probably the worst place in the NHL to experiment with a "platoon" system in goal. The media is going to have a field day every time one of them has a bad game or the team has a bad streak. For that matter, they'll probably be writing lengthy columns every time one of them let's in a bad goal.

The likely result is that, since both goalies are relatively young and inexperienced, they are going to be looking over their shoulder constantly afraid to make a mistake. For all the blather about which of them is more skilled, the one thing that is critical to a goalie is confidence, and the situation that is pending is going to erode the confidence of both of them very quickly.

Never mind the inevitable dressing room factions that a platoon system is likely to cause.

I really don't have a dog in this fight, but I can't see any long term good coming from having both Reimer and Bernier "battling" for the top spot.

IMO, the absolute last thing this team needs at this stage of it's development is a goalie controversy. Nonis (and hopefully not Lieweke) needs to pick one of them to be the "man" and then have a competent back up.

I hope he chooses wisely.

Last edited by egd27: 06-22-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old
06-22-2013, 11:09 AM
CmonLeafs

One guy I keep hearing rumors about is Kevin Bieksa out of Vancouver. Would you guys have any interest in him?

I think he's the exact type of Dman we need to take a bit of the burden off of Phaneuf and make our D a really great group.

It's hard to tell what type of return he would get, as maybe it's a bit lower than I would have thought based on the rumors, but I would deal our 1st++ for him. What would you guys think it might take?

Old
06-22-2013, 11:11 AM
notdoneyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Trevor Lewis was important, but Clifford and Nolan were not. Clifford fills a role, but he is easily replaced if he wants too much money. If I'm LA, I don't even try to re-sign Nolan.
Jake Muzzin will be important in the future, so they'll keep him. Martinez is a spare part, so they'll only keep him if he stays for cheap, since he is easily replaced. Keaton Ellerby is useless, and I wouldn't even want him back.

Lewis probably gets 1.5.
Clifford probably gets 1.0
Muzzin probably gets 1.5
Martinez probably gets 1.0
Nolan and Ellerby walk.
Thank god your not the Gm and lombardi is.
If you had your way they wouldnot have won the cup. The three bolded each played a very BIg part in the winning of the cup.

If you remember LA was way way out of the playoffs until they recalled these players from the minors. These players and the game they played were very important to the success of the kings. I would gladly take any of these three off LA's hands for the leafs. These are just the kind of foot soldiers you need on the third or fourth lines in order to be successful in the playoffs. Their value is extremely important to the TEAM. It enables the skill players of the kings to play a different game.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:13 AM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Actually, taking into account the psychological impact to both the individual and the team is often critical to doing what's best for the team.

Toronto is probably the worst place in the NHL to experiment with a "platoon" system in goal. The media is going to have a field day every time one of them has a bad game or the team has a bad streak. For that manner, they'll probably be writing lengthy columns every time one of them let's in a bad goal.

The likely result is that, since both goalies are relatively young and inexperienced, they are going to be looking over their shoulder constantly afraid to make a mistake. For all the blather about which of them is more skilled, the one thing that is critical to a goalie is confidence, and the situation that is pending is going to erode the confidence of both of them very quickly.

Never mind the inevitable dressing room factions that a platoon system is likely to cause.

I really don't have a dog in this fight, but I can't see any long term good coming from having both Reimer and Bernier "battling" for the top spot.

IMO, the absolute last thing this team needs at this stage of it's development is a goalie controversy. Nonis (and hopefully not Lieweke) needs to pick one of them to be the "man" and then have a competent back up.

If the media and the scrutiny gets in the way of doing what's best for the team then the Leafs will never win a championship.

I understand what your saying with the confidence of the goalies. This is what happen between Gustavsson and Reimer. Wilson miss handled them cause he didn't go with who was playing best at that time (Gustavsson) and really that's the only way a platoon ends up blowing up in your face like it did.

Carlyle handled his goalies perfectly this past season that's why both goalies had good years cause starts was based on merit not labels as if who's the #1 or #2. Reimer didn't even open up the season if people like to remember. Scrivens I believe started the 1st 3-4 games of the year cause he showed to be better at that point of time.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:22 AM
namttebih

Quote:

Toronto is probably the worst place in the NHL to experiment with a "platoon" system in goal. The media is going to have a field day every time one of them has a bad game or the team has a bad streak. For that manner, they'll probably be writing lengthy columns every time one of them let's in a bad goal.

Good post.

The only criticism that I have is that both tenders have already been in similar situations and handled it well.

Quick's position was always up for the taking. The only problem was that Quick rarely faltered when in net. Bernier was always up to task when put in net though. He could have easily gotten discouraged and frustrated.

Reimer's was even more similar, albeit on a smaller scale. He and The Monster battled for the starting position and Reimer handled it very well despite having an off year due to injury.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Daisy Jane
trust the vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
If the media and the scrutiny gets in the way of doing what's best for the team then the Leafs will never win a championship.

I understand what your saying with the confidence of the goalies. This is what happen between Gustavsson and Reimer. Wilson miss handled them cause he didn't go with who was playing best at that time (Gustavsson) and really that's the only way a platoon ends up blowing up in your face like it did.

Carlyle handled his goalies perfectly this past season that's why both goalies had good years cause starts was based on merit not labels as if who's the #1 or #2. Reimer didn't even open up the season if people like to remember. Scrivens I believe started the 1st 3-4 games of the year cause he showed to be better at that point of time.
and he had playing time in the Marlies as well. I think that was the selling point as well.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Thank god your not the Gm and lombardi is.
If you had your way they wouldnot have won the cup. The three bolded each played a very BIg part in the winning of the cup.

If you remember LA was way way out of the playoffs until they recalled these players from the minors. These players and the game they played were very important to the success of the kings. I would gladly take any of these three off LA's hands for the leafs. These are just the kind of foot soldiers you need on the third or fourth lines in order to be successful in the playoffs. Their value is extremely important to the TEAM. It enables the skill players of the kings to play a different game.
It was Dwight King and Jordan Nolan who were called up late last season. Both Trevor Lewis and Kyle Clifford were with the team for the whole season.

The addition of those players didn't make as big an impact as you think anyway. Darryl Sutter changed the team. It was the change in coaching style that changed the team, not the addition of a few support players.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
hmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonLeafs View Post
One guy I keep hearing rumors about is Kevin Bieksa out of Vancouver. Would you guys have any interest in him?

I think he's the exact type of Dman we need to take a bit of the burden off of Phaneuf and make our D a really great group.

It's hard to tell what type of return he would get, as maybe it's a bit lower than I would have thought based on the rumors, but I would deal our 1st++ for him. What would you guys think it might take?
I'd rather take a chance in free agency then deal assets for dmen. If were dealing assets, it should be for a C

Old
06-22-2013, 11:40 AM
CmonLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I'd rather take a chance in free agency then deal assets for dmen. If were dealing assets, it should be for a C
I agree to a point. There's only a few Dmen on the open market that I'm interested in, but if we can get one of Scuderi/Ference/Lydman/White I'd be happy. At centre, seems like we're going to have to overpay massively on the FA market.

As long as we don't deal assets for a goalie . . .

Old
06-22-2013, 11:52 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
How did Reimer get us to where we are? (Where we are is golfing by the way) this is how (by pooping his shorts)
http://youtu.be/4j5E2c3UPBU
Lets not build statues just yet
Ok.....let's look at it.

Goal #2

As the completely uncovered Boston player prepares to shoot from below the faceoff dot, another Boston forward stands completely uncovered in the blue paint no less providing not only a wonderful screen, but also gets to impede movement.

Goal #3

Once again, a Boston forward finds himself completely uncovered three feet from the Leafs net as three Toronto players watch and reach. I can already hear the poor rebound control argument, but you're protecting a 2 goal lead with a couple of minutes left in a Game 7 and an opposing forward is uncovered three feet from the net!

Goal #4

Fairly simple really. A mere five players between the shooter and the goalie. Hard to believe the puck actually made it to the net.

Goal #5
Part 1

A little blurry, but that black thing to the right of Gardiner's right foot is the puck. The big white thing is Grabovski moving uncontested toward said puck in order to clear it.

Fast forward to Part 2

Somehow Grabovski completely failed to retrieve the loose puck and clear it. However, all is not lost as it ends up on the stick of Jake Gardiner who, of course, will clear it to the corner. But lo and behold, he decides to clear it in the direction of the unchecked Bergeron. (that's the puck just to the left of the faceoff circle). And once again, a Bruin forward is right on top of Reimer uncovered.

All Reimer pooping his shorts? What dismal display of "analysis"

Old
06-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Diatomic
WHAT A MOVE, SCORES!

^^ Great analysis, Reimer had no chance on either of those.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:03 PM
number72

Quote:

I like this. I would add that Nonis probably would replace Gardiner with Bernier ++ for the 7th overall pick as LA won't trade him directly to the oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
My theory:

Nonis is interested in dealing for Dipeitro as a buy-out candidate, but the Islanders are insisting on a goalie coming back in the deal. They do not want Scrivens, and obviously Reimer is not available.
We trade Frattin, Blacker and 2nd 2013 for Bernier.

Then turn around and trade Komisarek and Bernier for Dipietro, 15th overall, Matt Martin, El Nino and Griffin Reinhart.

Trade works out to:

Bernier = Matt Martin and 15th overall
Komisarek = Dipietro + El Nino + Griffin Reinhart

Martin replaces Komarov. Reinhart allows us to trade young D.
Similar idea but deal Bernier to OIlers for the 7th.

Last edited by number72: 06-22-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old
06-22-2013, 12:06 PM
nuck
Flatfoot

Quote:

This is what I think too. This lineup has only one consecutive playoff appearance and messing with core players may not be the smartest thing to do just yet. Honestly if they want Bernier I would hope they deal Reimer then, and go into the season with set roles. That is less likely to polarize the club than keeping both. Bernier is a former high draft pick, will be 25 years old, and has looked very strong at both the NHL and AHL levels. They would only be adding him if they think he is a potential upgrade so his time is now, may as well play him.

In terms of cost, he was an 11th overal pick and has progressed very well since going pro. Not his fault he couldn't knock Quick out of the starting role. They would be looking for a 1st+ something (some of which would be somewhat mitigated because Riemer would return an good asset).

I really don't think they are in the market, but who knows? If Nonis thinks he will be a big star and Reimer won't be...

Old
06-22-2013, 12:13 PM
APV

Imagine Nonis somehow came out of this offseason with Stastny, Clarkson & Bernier?

Drool.

Lupul-Statsny-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Clarkson
Kulemin-Grabovski-Macarthur
Orr-Mcclement-Mclaren

Phaneuf-Gunnarson
Gardiner-Franson
Rielly-Fraser

Reimer
Bernier

Old
06-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Daisy Jane
trust the vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by APV View Post
Imagine Nonis somehow came out of this offseason with Stastny, Clarkson & Bernier?

Drool.

Lupul-Statsny-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Clarkson
Kulemin-Grabovski-Macarthur
Orr-Mcclement-Mclaren

Phaneuf-Gunnarson
Gardiner-Franson
Rielly-Fraser

Reimer
Bernier
add in a defenseman and heck yah

Old
06-22-2013, 12:46 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:

This doesn't make sense at all. Why take on DiPietro and his awful contract if we're going after Bernier ? You can't just shove him down the minors or even hope someone takes him off waivers, it counts towards the cap. Why keep 3 NHL goalies if you want Bernier and Reimer to solidify the long term goalie situations? We shouldn't be taking another teams bad contracts and why would they give us the 15th pick overall for Komisarek of all players purely because you're taking their contract?

This trade makes absolutely no sense. You use a buy out ok fine, that still doesn't mean they'll give us the 15th overall . If its a burden to them, why should we burden ourselves with it and waste a buyout on him?

Closed Thread