HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades, Proposals, and Free Agent Talk XIX

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2013, 05:15 PM
thewave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
All 3 of those goals were a result of poor rebounds that Boston recovered starting a process of the cycle with tired legs on the ice not being able to get off. Go back and watch the whole video and spare me these screenshots cause Reimer played his part in not helping the tired legs in front him to be changed... almost 90% of what started the Boston hemming in of the Leafs came off of the inability of Reimer to either "A" catch and smother the puck to end the play or "B" suck the puck into his body to end the play.

The game winning goal in OT Reimer did his best impersonation of a beached whale. He was just as much to blame as the maligned defense in front him for Boston coming back and I'll tell you what after listening to Carlyle at his exit press conference I anticipated that the Leafs would be looking to improve it's goaltending for this very reason.

Defense is hard enough to play as it is and having a goaltender who doesn't smother pucks especially on glove hand saves makes things that much harder to play defense in front them cause it leads to extended shifts that kill you as we witnessed.
Pretty accurate pointed most this out since it happened yet Grabo is the devil.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:18 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by namttebih View Post
Help me out here. I'm guessing the amount that each player would want.

Kadri 3.0 $3.9

Clarkson 5.0 $4.5

MacA 3.5 won't be back

McLaren .9 sure

Franson 2.5 $3.75
Gunner 3.0 $3.1
Fraser 1.0 okay
Bernier 2.5 $2.75

Close? Admittedly not my strong point.
Closer. Kadri has only the one year under his belt but I don't see him taking 3 after his breakthough and its still a huge win for the blub at $3.9 if he does 60+ every year. Franson created scoring and that always leads to more contract for a D.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:23 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Kadri's hard to predict, it really depends. However I see him getting closer to 3.5.

Clarkson looks about right, hopefully.

Mac won't be re-signed but I assume that's what he's looking for.

McClaren yes. Gunnar yes, Franson probably gets 3. Fraser yes.
Nonis said Mac will likely be resigned. I'm speculating that's because he's already agreed to a friendly price. Otherwise I couldn't see Nonis throwing that out there

Old
06-22-2013, 05:31 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
All 3 of those goals were a result of poor rebounds that Boston recovered starting a process of the cycle with tired legs on the ice not being able to get off. Go back and watch the whole video and spare me these screenshots cause Reimer played his part in not helping the tired legs in front him to be changed... almost 90% of what started the Boston hemming in of the Leafs came off of the inability of Reimer to either "A" catch and smother the puck to end the play or "B" suck the puck into his body to end the play.

The game winning goal in OT Reimer did his best impersonation of a beached whale. He was just as much to blame as the maligned defense in front him for Boston coming back and I'll tell you what after listening to Carlyle at his exit press conference I anticipated that the Leafs would be looking to improve it's goaltending for this very reason.

Defense is hard enough to play as it is and having a goaltender who doesn't smother pucks especially on glove hand saves makes things that much harder to play defense in front them cause it leads to extended shifts that kill you as we witnessed.
Goal 2 - Horton's goal was not off a rebound. Lucic gained the zone, went behind the net, passed to an unmarked Horton, with another Bruin in the crease unmarked providing a screen and perhaps impeding movement.

Goal 3 - Chara takes the first shot. Shot deflects and Reimer stops it with the rebound going toward the corner (as you would hope) Boston recovers. Back to the uncovered left point. Across ice to the uncovered right point. Chara shoots again through a crowd. Reimer stops it but Lucic is is uncovered for the rebound. Let's ignore the first rebound to the corner, the two uncovered point men and the uncovered Bruin on the doorstep. Yeah, Reimer should have held the second Chara shot and it's all on him.

Goal 4 - This is where the tired legs must have really come into play. An exhausting 27 seconds later (after a faceoff and a line change no less) the Bruins gain the zone, set up, and a seeing eye shot gets through 5 guys and into the net. No rebound proceeded it.

Goal 5 - I'll concede it wasn't Reimer's best effort, but both Grabovski and Gardiner had the opportunity to clear the puck and failed. One so badly that it went right to a wide open Bergeron.

So to recap all of the goals were not off rebounds, and the tired legs argument may have played a factor in the Lucic goal only.

So perhaps you should watch the video and spare me your condescending, ill informed, comments.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:38 PM
CmonLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
Nonis said Mac will likely be resigned. I'm speculating that's because he's already agreed to a friendly price. Otherwise I couldn't see Nonis throwing that out there
When/where did you hear that?

I'm under the impression that quite the contrary is true; the odds he returns are extremely low.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:39 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Do you have a link? I have only seen it mentioned that they were "talking" to Mac and Boz. There was this “I would not rule out bringing Clarke back.”
but I see that comment as possible, rather than likely.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:46 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonLeafs View Post
When/where did you hear that?

I'm under the impression that quite the contrary is true; the odds he returns are extremely low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
Do you have a link? I have only seen it mentioned that they were "talking" to Mac and Boz. There was this “I would not rule out bringing Clarke back.”
but I see that comment as possible, rather than likely.
The last I heard is that they were leaning towards re-signing MacArthur. Was just the other day within a week I heard/read that.

https://twitter.com/jonasTSN1050/sta...62949868298240

If they had no interest I doubt he says it that way.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
06-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Nonis said he isn't ruling out the possiblity of Clarke being re-signed.

That, if I recall correctly, is precisely what he said.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:48 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
The last I heard is that they were leaning towards re-signing MacArthur. Was just the other day within a week I heard/read that.
Meh, guess there is nothing imminent on the trade front for LWs.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:51 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Meh, guess there is nothing imminent on the trade front for LWs.
Disappointing they don't have anything in the system they can promote into the third line.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:59 PM
nidnus13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Stastny does all the little things well. Grabo is a Novice player in a man's body.
Thank-you

I am sick and tired of ppl using the excuse of "well he was stuck on the third lime" BS

Grabo is just not a very good player

Old
06-22-2013, 06:20 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
This doesn't make sense at all. Why take on DiPietro and his awful contract if we're going after Bernier ? You can't just shove him down the minors or even hope someone takes him off waivers, it counts towards the cap. Why keep 3 NHL goalies if you want Bernier and Reimer to solidify the long term goalie situations? We shouldn't be taking another teams bad contracts and why would they give us the 15th pick overall for Komisarek of all players purely because you're taking their contract?

This trade makes absolutely no sense. You use a buy out ok fine, that still doesn't mean they'll give us the 15th overall . If its a burden to them, why should we burden ourselves with it and waste a buyout on him?
What are you rambling about? Its been widely speculated that the Islanders would move a good asset, such as their 2013 1st round pick, in order to get rid of that contract.

Theyre one of the least successful teams financially in the entire league, we are THE most successful. Its exactly the type of deal people from multiple fanbases, hockey analysts, etc have speculated as very possible. Their owner gets to save 20+ million $, not give up a good roster player, or give up any key prospects (Reinhart/Strome/etc).

The Leafs could easily go with Bernier/Reimer next season, and leave DiPietro in the minors until theyre able to buy him out next offseason. As for Komi, he would help them get above the capfloor, his salary is below his caphit, and the still save over 20M in money if they take him to move DiPietro.

Old
06-22-2013, 06:30 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
What are you rambling about? Its been widely speculated that the Islanders would move a good asset, such as their 2013 1st round pick, in order to get rid of that contract.

Theyre one of the least successful teams financially in the entire league, we are THE most successful. Its exactly the type of deal people from multiple fanbases, hockey analysts, etc have speculated as very possible. Their owner gets to save 20+ million $, not give up a good roster player, or give up any key prospects (Reinhart/Strome/etc).

The Leafs could easily go with Bernier/Reimer next season, and leave DiPietro in the minors until theyre able to buy him out next offseason. As for Komi, he would help them get above the capfloor, his salary is below his caphit, and the still save over 20M in money if they take him to move DiPietro.
I think the chances of the Leafs ownership spending over 20 million dollars for a first round draft pick are slim and none. Especially a mid rounder

Old
06-22-2013, 06:59 PM
namttebih

Quote:
Closer. Kadri has only the one year under his belt but I don't see him taking 3 after his breakthough and its still a huge win for the blub at $3.9 if he does 60+ every year. Franson created scoring and that always leads to more contract for a D.
Ya I kind of figured that Franson would be higher. As far as MacA, I didn't think that he would be back either but an above poster sugested a top nine that he was in and I wanted to see if it would work.

Old
FifthLine

Kadri Contract

Just to comment above, there is no way Kadri gets 3.9-4M unless its on a 3+ year deal. You have to remember he is an RFA, teams are squeezing all their RFA's in terms of contract (subban, Duchene). You have to also remember it was a shortened season, in which he started to tail off towards the end.

I think realistically, he takes 3-3.25M on a two year deal

Old
namttebih

Quote:
Originally Posted by APV View Post
Imagine Nonis somehow came out of this offseason with Stastny, Clarkson & Bernier?

Drool.

Lupul-Statsny-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Clarkson
Kulemin-Grabovski-Macarthur
Orr-Mcclement-Mclaren

Phaneuf-Gunnarson
Gardiner-Franson
Rielly-Fraser

Reimer
Bernier
But it wouldn't.

Old
06-22-2013, 07:30 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Gonna be a fun off-season. I think there is alot of uncertainty with the cap going down; alot of UFAs and RFAs are going to hit the open-market to determine their value and try and leverage that against what their home clubs are offering. The market is just a little unstable with the cap going down and it'll all correct itself in the first 48 hours of the off-season. I could see alot of RFAs get getting offer-sheets as well.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:12 PM
ReimerIsFuture
Rookie User

I guess Nonis really wants to build this team properly from the net out. Something Burke had a very different philosophy on. If you add Bernier with Reimer that gives arguably the best goalie tandem in the NHL. Two young guys who have yet a lot of proving to do.

But regardless this team needs to start building from the draft and acquiring assets. There is no use in constantly trading picks/prospects for a player just to win now.

I think this would be an ideal yet realistic off season for us:

-Tyler Bozak, C Mac walk via free agency. Leafs resign all other RFAs and UFAs.

-Leafs grab Clarkson off free agency.

-We trade a 5th round selection for D Andrej Meszaros.

-Try to trade Grabovski if not keep him.

-Gardiner gets traded to Philadelphia for Sean Couturier.

-We get Bernier+4th in exchange for Frattin and a 2nd round pick.

-Scrivens then gets traded to Edmonton for a 2nd.

-We take on DiPietro's contract along with Griffin Reinhart for Liles.

-Amesty buyouts on DiPietro and Komisarek.

-Trade pick #21 down for picks 26 an 45.

-Leafs grab Morgan Klimchuk at 26, Tristan Jarry at 45, and Justin Bailey at 56.

JVR - Couturier - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Kulemin - Grabo - McClement
Orr - Colborne - D'Amigo
Depth: McLaren

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Franson - Fraser
Holzer - Meszaros
Depth: Blacker, Kostka

Reimer
Bernier

Old
06-22-2013, 08:51 PM
bigbaldleaffan

Quote:
I think the chances of the Leafs ownership spending over 20 million dollars for a first round draft pick are slim and none. Especially a mid rounder
I think you have to consider that teams like Philly are considering paying bryzgalof over $50 million on a chance to improve their goaltending , rangers are considering paying outrageous money to buy out Richards ! And you are going to try and convince me that The richest team won't also pay 20 + million to get better by way of a free first round draft pick ! It seems crazy to us but the league doesn't bat an eye at throwing millions around trying to get a head .

Old
06-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Platinum Seat Leafs

Gunnarsson $ 2.85
Franson $3.00
Kadri $2.75

Old
06-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
Quote:
Kadi will see 3.9 only in his dream this early.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:06 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
We certainly hope Kadri can do 60+ points each year. He's about points and not much else. You'd hate to draft an offensive player 7th. overall and have him fail at that role when he doesn't bring anything else.

I'm hoping he works on face-offs this summer and takes over the first line role and is an improvement on Bozak.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:11 PM
cookie
Fresh From The Oven

How is it that we have not been discussing Carolina as a potential trade partner? I mean with J.Staal, E.Staal, Semin, Ruutu, Skinner making up their forward core, wouldn't they want to acquire defensemen, especially like Gunnarsson, and Franson that can be had for cheap and can also provide stability to a young and mistake-prone defense corps?

Old
06-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
How is it that we have not been discussing Carolina as a potential trade partner? I mean with J.Staal, E.Staal, Semin, Ruutu, Skinner making up their forward core, wouldn't they want to acquire defensemen, especially like Gunnarsson, and Franson that can be had for cheap and can also provide stability to a young and mistake-prone defense corps?
Maybe it's because we need defensemen too...

Old
06-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Brody
Lol

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs in 7 View Post
Gunnarsson $ 2.85
Franson $3.00
Kadri $2.75
Franson doesn't deserve more than Gunnarsson.

Closed Thread