HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades, Proposals, and Free Agent Talk XIX

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Northernguy10

vCash: 500
I know trades, UFA signings etc come into play but putting everything else aside for a minute ,I'm curious what percentage of Leafs fans favour A) Moving up in the draft...B) standing pat and drafting at our present spots...or C) moving down in the draft... I realize there are circumstances and variables but just a general consensus would be interesting.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:04 PM
WestCoastLeafs
I need a new slogan

With MacKinnon as the somewhat concensus best player in the draft, I see Colorado either

1) taking MacKinnon and trading ROR or Duschesne for help at another position and to better balance their core.

or

2) Trading down to 2 or 3 and getting Jones/Drouin, plus another asset.

They'd probably be looking at both options and seeing which can get them the better return. In the case of #1, there would be potential for Toronto to land a young centre, albeit at a heavy price.

(*In the case of ROR they not be able to make the move right away.)

Old
06-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Looking at the Kings entire organization I think they should have more interest in adding another Dman in a trade for Bernier then a winger like Frattin.

They played 4 Dmen over 20 minutes in the playoffs. Of those 4, Voynov and Doughty will be there for years. But the others are a different story with Scuderi being a UFA this year and even he returns he's 35. Regehr is 33 and signed for 2 more years. There D prospect pool isn't anything special. They did have significant injuries to Mitchell and Greene but both of them are UFAs at the end of the year. Mitchell is also 36.

Gunnarson who won't ever make a big cap hit and would fit in as a 20 minute a night Dman for years seems like someone they should want more then a winger like Frattin.

If we sign Paul Ranger who could fill Gunnars spot on the roster I propose the following deal:

Gunnarson

for

Bernier
Greene (cap purposes and could play on our 3rd pair to buy a year of time till Rielly, Percy, Finn, Blacker are that much more developed)
Bernier just acquired as I was writing this. LOL

Old
06-23-2013, 12:05 PM
hockeydude1928

The leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens and a 2nd. I'd say steal for the leafs

Old
06-23-2013, 12:07 PM
WestCoastLeafs
I need a new slogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernguy10 View Post
I know trades, UFA signings etc come into play but putting everything else aside for a minute ,I'm curious what percentage of Leafs fans favour A) Moving up in the draft...B) standing pat and drafting at our present spots...or C) moving down in the draft... I realize there are circumstances and variables but just a general consensus would be interesting.
I choose (D) retain our current pick and try to pick up a second one.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:11 PM
BrownBeauty

Wow.

Skeptical before, but nice call on this one Chuck.

So does this mean Minnesota now stops discussions about Clutterbuck?

Last edited by BrownBeauty: 06-23-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old
06-23-2013, 12:14 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBeauty View Post
Wow.

Skeptical before, but nice call on this one Chuck.

So does this mean Minnesota now stops discussions about Clutterbuck?

I would imagine the discussions get squashed at this point.

Lombardi's so called "sticking" point that took a month(s) to get over was the fact that he wanted a 2nd for this draft.

Nonis stuck to his guns and got this deal accomplished without budging.

This deal has been rumored to be on the table for quite some time, but of course their ears were open to other discussions (with Minny) since Lombardi hadn't firmed up yet.

But I think Frattin was always going to be LA bound.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Reimer or Bernier better be on the way out in a deal as there both wanting to be #1 and do not want to share role

By the way both our up for new contracts

Old
06-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Daisy Joy
Jerry is Gone :(

Wow.

now the question is - are we KEEPING Bernier?

Old
06-23-2013, 12:22 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
Wow.

It sounds as if the intention is to keep him here if there are successful contract discussions. Nonis isn't a dumb man, he would have had an idea of what it would take to get JB under contract and it wouldn't shock me to see a signing within the next few days.

If not, then Minnesota and Calgary are both very realistic scenario's at the draft.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:31 PM
416Leafer

Very good trade I think. I was kinda hoping Frattin + Scrivens would only need a 3rd or 4th to go along with it, but at least its not a 2013 2nd.

Now at least the Luongo rumours can FINALLLLLLLY go bother some other team.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:35 PM
KULEMINakajesus

i wasnt there but my dad saw geno reda at costco and solid 10 min conversation, all about hockey, apparently kessel doesnt want a long term contract with the leafs so he could be on his way out, theyll prob sign bozak cuz even though hes asking a lot of money theyd rather not let him go cuz theres not really a better alternative, dion wants a long term contract with the leafs but they dont wanna give it to him so he might be out, and most importantly, the leafs are heavily pursuing jonathan bernier, very heavily

My friend posted that on facebook yesterday.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
It sounds as if the intention is to keep him here if there are successful contract discussions. Nonis isn't a dumb man, he would have had an idea of what it would take to get JB under contract and it wouldn't shock me to see a signing within the next few days.

If not, then Minnesota and Calgary are both very realistic scenario's at the draft.
Bernier will be signed to a short term, cheap contract to prove himself.

The winner of next season's goaltender battle will get awarded with a nice long term contract.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Cool Hand Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Four Step Goalie Shuffle:

1. Trade Frattin, Scrivens + 3rd to LA for Bernier

2. Trade Komisarek + Bernier to NYIsles for Dipietro (buyout), 15th overall, Matt Martin, Reinhart and Nino

3. Trade Reimer, Rights to Gunnarsson + 21st overall to Edmonton for 7th + Rights to Ryan Jones.

4. Trade Nino to Vancouver for Luongo + Rights to Tanev

OUT: Frattin, Reimer, Scrivens, Liles, Komisarek, 3rd 2013 and 2nd 2014
IN: 7th (Monahan), 15th (whoever drops), Martin, Jones, Reinhart, Luongo, Tanev.
I know the above post seems absurd, but what if? Now that we have Bernier and Reimer, what if Nonis has been looking to trade for Luongo all this time, and so we use both of these young high-potential goalies as trade chips and grab Luongo on the cheap.

Edmonton would probably love to get their hands on Reimer, and there were multiple teams interested in Bernier.

Reimer and rights to Gunnarsson to Edmonton for 7th overall?

Bernier and 7th overall for 3rd and Vinny?

Old
06-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Wow.

Question is are we keeping Reimer, I think he will be traded that's my guess. And the chips are going to be bigger than today's trade.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Cool Hand Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Bernier will be signed to a short term, cheap contract to prove himself.

The winner of next season's goaltender battle will get awarded with a nice long term contract.
I got the impression that Lombardi promised Bernier that he would be traded to a team that would use him as the #1. Something smells fishy about this trade.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Cool Hand Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Question is are we keeping Reimer, I think he will be traded that's my guess. And the chips are going to be bigger than today's trade.
I agree. Edmonton is a perfect spot for Reimer. Closer to home, up and coming team, not a lot of competition with what they already have.

Or even...what about Winnipeg? Hometown, maybe Nonis is after the lucky #13 pick?

Old
06-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Look at the teams who were in on Bernier..

Minny wanted him badly

Reimer + for Coyle??? Yes please

Old
06-23-2013, 12:51 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Hoping for Stastny and Clutterbuck now.

Might be a little greedy

Old
06-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Daisy Joy
Jerry is Gone :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
actually, I thought that while i was posting my comments in the "official Bernier" thread.

It really might be Reimer that's going, and us signing a UFA vet goalie.

so if the option is on us - does this mean, if we don't like anyone in 2014, we can give them our pick then? but if we like someone, we HAVE to give them the 2015 pick? is there a deadline?

Old
06-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
I got the impression that Lombardi promised Bernier that he would be traded to a team that would use him as the #1. Something smells fishy about this trade.
He held to his promise. Toronto offers one of the top 10 opportunities to be a # 1 for Bernier. Something he was never going to get behind perennial Vezina candidate Quick.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Duffman955

We are going to keep both goaltenders and see what they are made of. In a couple years, the loser of the goaltending duo may be traded when they are going to want long term contracts.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
We are going to keep both goaltenders and see what they are made of. In a couple years, the loser of the goaltending duo may be traded when they are going to want long term contracts.
Might not be a couple years, but I agree with everything else. I can see them both battling for the crease this season. If one really steals the show, the other could be moved.

Old
06-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Interactif

Quote:
actually, I thought that while i was posting my comments in the "official Bernier" thread.

It really might be Reimer that's going, and us signing a UFA vet goalie.

so if the option is on us - does this mean, if we don't like anyone in 2014, we can give them our pick then? but if we like someone, we HAVE to give them the 2015 pick? is there a deadline?
Quote:
I agree. Edmonton is a perfect spot for Reimer. Closer to home, up and coming team, not a lot of competition with what they already have.

Or even...what about Winnipeg? Hometown, maybe Nonis is after the lucky #13 pick?
Yep, deals have to help both teams or have the potential to improve both teams.

If I were Mac T, I would be very keen on putting my stamp on the team with ready made NHL players.

Reimer and Gardiner with the Eakins angle would be at the top of my list.

Need of a Goalie and a defenceman outweigh the #7 pick, Gagner and prospects. If I were the Leafs I would ask for Klefbom. Rather than a 2nd rd pick.

I would also look at Mitchell Moroz, or David Musil.

But potentially

Gagner/Lindholm/Monahan and a top prospect for Reimer and Gardiner. There is significant sense and value in this deal.

Old
06-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Thats not nearly enough not even close..

Gards<<<<7th
Reimer<<than any prospect they have today

Exactly how would this is be fair

Closed Thread