HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shin splints

Old
06-18-2013, 01:26 PM
deems

vCash: 500
Shin splints

I am certain I got them from ball hockey but curious what has helped anyone who has had and gotten over them before. I have neglected leg day at the gym because I worry about putting more weight on them.

deems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:17 PM
TheSkatingDead

I have them and got them from running. I'm able to run outside for a decent distance (3-5 miles), but cannot do any incline treadmill workouts or they kill me the next day. Unfortunately the only cure is rest...

TheSkatingDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Darlon

I used to get shin splints from skating my first month. I just think you need to strengthen those muscles. A goalie told me that when I asked him. I'm in my third month now and skate as hard as a new skater can skate during pick up and no longer have problems with my shins.

Darlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I get those and/or knee pain any time I do any kind of high-impact exercise. If even used to get shin splints when I had very little muscle OR body fat at 130 pounds. My body's just not built for that kind of activity.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:54 AM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

I found when I moved to Toronto and had a lot more walking that I'd get them at the drop of a hat due to being out of shape and not used to walking 30-45 minutes a day. Only way I've found to get rid of them is to not overdue it, rest, and patience. Three months later walking the same distance that killed me in April is very doable today.

Also good shoes will make a difference.

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Thesensation19*

There are many things to treat and prevent shin splints.

To treat takes stretching of the muscles surrounding shins. Many ways in doing this, easy Google search.

Another is cold baths for your feet and well shins.

Massaging of the shins

Active release treatment you should look into as well

Stretching daily is key. Its not just about warming up, doing a dynamic stretch before, a static one after. Devoting 10-15 min before and after,

Stretching should be a daily activity even if you dont have a game or not ready to work out yet.

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Thesensation19*

What shoes you wear plays a HUGE factor in this as well. Look into this thurrilly

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:44 AM
deems

Rest is the one treatment I am most afraid of as I don't want to sit out a season. I will check out a store that can scan my feet and make a suggestion.

Shin splints are stress fractures though, right? If so, stretching and muscle workouts seem past their time. Or shin splints can lead to fractures? It's a bone issue not muscle.

deems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Jisatsu

I had shin splints bad when I was in boot camp, surprisingly enough the navy gave me ibprophen and insoles that were hard and uncomfortable, seriously the shin splints stopped hurting almost immediately and cleared up in a day or so.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

I always had this prob until I started using a muscle massager stick. It rolls up and down against the muscle.
Def good if you have more than one game in a day. Use this and take in lots of potassium by eating bananas and drinking coconut water ( more potassium than a whole banana. ). Roll it up and down the calf and shin muscles. Feels great and alleviates pain and relaxes tight muscle.

www.thestick.com/

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 05:20 PM
SacredPetra

I get shin splints if I don't use the right insoles or shoes with proper arch support. Cushion is less important for me, but I need a mild stability shoe to run, and I add additional arch support in almost all my non-running shoes.

SacredPetra is offline   Reply With Quote