Notices

Ducks and the 2014 Olympics

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

vCash: 500
The politics of Gibson making the team don't work. Too many goalies with better long term track records.

Old
07-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
The politics of Gibson making the team don't work. Too many goalies with better long term track records.
Yup. I think this is just the foundation for Gibson to make the 2018 team. He has no professional experience to speak of. Team USA may just have fallen in love with him, but even as a 3rd goalie that's a big risk. An injury could thrust him into a back-up role, and potentially more than that if one of the other goalies struggle. I mean, it would be terrific to see him there. It really would. But would that be the best thing for the US team?

07-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Exit Dose

Gibson is not there to try out for the team, not in any realistic sense at least. He's there to prep for 2018. This is a reward for what he did for the American program. He was a big part in us getting gold and bronze. The same thing goes for Trouba, Gally, and Jones. Though at least Gally has a very outside chance of slipping in.

Old
07-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

I agree. Galchenyuk should be on the outside looking in, but he, at least, has some NHL experience. I could see him forcing his way on the team. The rest(that you listed) seem like huge long shots. The US looks like it wants to emphasize young skill, but come on... we're talking about players with no NHL experience. Even factoring in the performances at the World Championships, I just don't see it. Even if the US team has some terrific young talent coming up the ranks, there is something to be said for having some experience, especially when the skill difference really doesn't favor those young players at the moment.

Old
07-22-2013, 04:14 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Gibson will have to have a second coming of Ken Dryden-type season to realistically make the team. That or crazy injuries. I think Cam has a serious chance since I feel this will be his breakout season. I'm obviously biased but I'd take him over both of the Johnsons for starters. Palmieri in my opinion is the least likely to play in Sochi.

Old
07-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Gibson will have to have a second coming of Ken Dryden-type season to realistically make the team. That or crazy injuries. I think Cam has a serious chance since I feel this will be his breakout season. I'm obviously biased but I'd take him over both of the Johnsons for starters. Palmieri in my opinion is the least likely to play in Sochi.
I actually think Fowler making the team will have more to do with playing on Olympic ice than how he starts the season. He's arguably the best skater they have, and one of their top puck movers. He was also right up there with Faulk and JJ at the World Championships(again, on big ice). If this were NHL ice, I don't think he makes the team. 2018, maybe, but not Sochi.

Old
07-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Yup. I think this is just the foundation for Gibson to make the 2018 team. He has no professional experience to speak of. Team USA may just have fallen in love with him, but even as a 3rd goalie that's a big risk. An injury could thrust him into a back-up role, and potentially more than that if one of the other goalies struggle. I mean, it would be terrific to see him there. It really would. But would that be the best thing for the US team?
I disagree somewhat. At the time, Quick had more experience than Gibson does now or will by the time rosters are picked, and there really weren't many strong candidates, but the US did this last time around, picking Quick over Anderson mainly because Quick was the guy of the future and it was the third goalie position. Now, I do doubt it happens, but if Gibson goes into that camp and plays on a similar level to guys like Anderson, Howard, Schneider, and it continues with his AHL play, then I think the US staff will have a pretty tough decision.

Old
07-22-2013, 04:36 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Gibson has a shot, like anyone else who goes to the camp.

Doing so well at the World championship against pro players definitely helped him, and I know Canadians/Americans don't really care about it but the Europeans are all about the world cup and olympics.

USA/Russia
Gibson lets in 3, Brygalov+Varlamov each let in 4. While playing against Ovechkin/Kovalchuk

American team was made up of alot of rookies too and Ovi/Kov couldn't take advantage.

I doubt Gibson might get a start, but they probably feel comfortable enough to bring him as the 3rd goalie/

Old
07-22-2013, 05:26 PM
EvoLu7ioN

No reason why Gibson shouldn't be there. He's physically mature, is a rock in terms of mental preparation, and he has dominated every level he has played at (including world championships against star NHLers).

Plus, he's going to have another summer of training, and experience from the Ducks camp going for him as well.

Old
07-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
No reason why Gibson shouldn't be there. He's physically mature, is a rock in terms of mental preparation, and he has dominated every level he has played at (including world championships against star NHLers).

Plus, he's going to have another summer of training, and experience from the Ducks camp going for him as well.
The experience of the Ducks camp is negligible. We're still talking about a player with no pro experience, which is something that, at least, Quick had in 2010.

Strictly speaking, as high as I am on Gibson, I'm not sure I'd want him to be chosen as the 3rd goalie(unless we see some injuries prior to being chosen). I'd love to see Gibson wearing the USA Jersey, but I want to see the US win more, and I'm not convinced Gibson is the right guy for that just yet. If he tears up the AHL to start the season, or somehow forces his way into Anaheim's line-up, I might sing a different tune but I don't see why people are so eager to see him as a possibility with no NHL games under his belt and a whopping one AHL game.

Team USA has a number of better options right now. For me, it's really that simple.

Old
07-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post
Doing so well at the World championship against pro players definitely helped him, and I know Canadians/Americans don't really care about it but the Europeans are all about the world cup and olympics.
Not sure where that common perception is coming from, but it isn't really true. Nobody in hockey really cares about the World Cup. The country that hosts the tournament does for a moment, and for an even shorter moment a country like Switzerland does when they are putting together a fairy-tale story like this year, but the World Cup isn't really taken more seriously in Europe than in North America. The Olympics are an entirely different matter, because it's actually a valuable tournament to the players, the countries and the fans. Everybody in hockey cares about it, and that's including North Americans with a passion for the game.

Old
07-22-2013, 05:57 PM
DarthYenik

Do you guys think Beauch got snubbed?

Old
07-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Exit Dose

A good way to think of the WCs is to look at it like pre-season for the national teams. Some people there are getting looked at for the big team, while others are being evaluated for the future. The points and accomplishments aren't really as important as the skill evaluation. While Gibson did well at the tournament, extremely well for that matter, he wasn't really playing on a level that would put him in that mix of Miller, Quick, Anderson, and Howard. There were areas that needed work still. What I took away from watching him there, is that he didn't look that far off from being polished enough to play as an NHL backup.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post
Eh, slightly, but I don't think he had a real shot of making the team to begin with, and at his age, it isn't important to evaluate him for 2018.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post

There are five extremely good reasons Gibson shouldn't be there.

Jonathan Quick
Ryan Milller
Jimmy Howard
Craig Anderson
Cory Schneider

People need to seriously get some perspective. Successful and long term elite NHL play >>>>> one stellar game against a couple NHL players and doing well against several other teams in a tournament that's not too far above AHL competition.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:07 PM
DarthYenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Eh, slightly, but I don't think he had a real shot of making the team to begin with, and at his age, it isn't important to evaluate him for 2018.
Oh, all this news if for 2018 evaluations? Nevermind then. Yeah, I agree.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post
Maybe a bit, but I think we need to remember that this is Olympic ice. I don't really see Beauchemin as particularly well-suited to that game, and as Exit pointed out he's not so young that you'd consider him for the future. I think you need to build based on the game you're trying to play, and mobility on big ice has got to be near the top of the list. That's basically the only reason I think someone like Perry may not make it(but Getzlaf should, because he's so ridiculously good at everything else; and he isn't exactly slow).

Old
07-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Exit Dose

@Yenik: Some of them are there for 2014, but he had little chance of sneaking past some of the D that Canada have.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
A good way to think of the WCs is to look at it like pre-season for the national teams. Some people there are getting looked at for the big team, while others are being evaluated for the future. The points and accomplishments aren't really as important as the skill evaluation. While Gibson did well at the tournament, extremely well for that matter, he wasn't really playing on a level that would put him in that mix of Miller, Quick, Anderson, and Howard. There were areas that needed work still. What I took away from watching him there, is that he didn't look that far off from being polished enough to play as an NHL backup.
That's a terrible way of looking at it. While you're not going to see full Olympic rosters at the WCs, the countries outside of NA take that tournament as seriously as the Olympics, they're there to win right then. It's obviously not the same, but it's far from "pre-season", not even remotely close.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:10 PM
DarthYenik

As for Gibson, yeah, there are a bunch of guys that are too busy to be in the World Championships, due to the NHL that aren't gonna be too busy for Sochi. Don't worry, Gibson is still young. He'll probably be in his prime in 2018.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsons Finest View Post
That's a terrible way of looking at it. While you're not going to see full Olympic rosters at the WCs, the countries outside of NA take that tournament as seriously as the Olympics, they're there to win right then. It's obviously not the same, but it's far from "pre-season", not even remotely close.
In the context of this discussion, we have been discussing the NA teams only. Yes, the European teams tend to treat it more seriously. For Gibson and the US, yes that really is the way this works out.

Old
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsons Finest View Post
No, you're right, it may not be pre-season, but it isn't the NHL either. It's closer to AHL level than NHL level. The level of talent is just all over the place.

Old
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Canada really isn't making evaluations for 2018 at all. They left some guys out because of age factors, but they didn't bring in a guy like Jordan Eberle to see if he'll be ready for 2018, they brought him in to try and make this team now.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
No, you're right, it may not be pre-season, but it isn't the NHL either. It's closer to AHL level than NHL level. The level of talent is just all over the place.
The same can also be said for pre-season games.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:13 PM
DarthYenik

Quote:
@Yenik: Some of them are there for 2014, but he had little chance of sneaking past some of the D that Canada have.
I think he deserves to be on the 2014 team. He was 4th in Norris votes for crying out loud.

Closed Thread