HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Players under contract for 05/06

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2005, 11:28 AM
MojoJojo

vCash: 500
Players under contract for 05/06

TSN compiled a complete list of who is under contract for the 05/06 season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=9997

Heres how the Flyers stack up by my estimation.

according to TSN after the 24% roll back, we have 15 players committed to 34.68 mil. If, as is rumoured, each team is allowed to buy out 2 players in transition to the cap without it counting, we are down to 23.38 mil without LeClair and Amonte.

We need to resign the following players (with my estimated salary in millions): Gagne (2.25), Esche (2.5), Johnsson(3.0), Seidenberg (1.0), Sharp (.75). If the rookie max is set at 1.2 mil and Carter and Richards both are signed for this amount, the total for the unsigned players is 11.9 mil.

The grand total is 35.28 million, just barely under a 36 mil cap, and with some elbow room under a forty million dollar cap. We have two big holes, a winger and a defenseman. If we have no room at all, Timmander is our 6th defenseman, and we can always try to add Sim or Umberger for relatively little on the wing. If the cap is set at 40 mil or so, we have enough to get a UFA defenseman for about 4 mil + Sim, Umberger, or Somik. Depending on the UFA market, this should be enough to land a guy like Foote or Zhitnik, but probably not a Pronger or Niedermeyer. Also, buy trading Brashear (paying a small portion of his salary) we might be able to save an extra mil or so since Fedoruk is already included in the list of signed players.

Old
06-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Cross Out The Eyes*

Send a message via AIM to Cross Out The Eyes* Send a message via Yahoo to Cross Out The Eyes*
Flyers cap situation for next year (with help from TSN)

They had all of the teams, I just picked out the Flyers.

With LeClair and Amonte bought out that frees up 11.3 million.
That takes the number down to about 23.5 million.

You'd still have to get the following guys under contract.

Carter, Richards, Gagne, Johnsson, Esche, , Radio, Somik, Sharp, and Seidenberg.

Between Radio, Somik, Sharp, and Seidenberg, you are looking at about 1.75 million.

Let's just say the rookie max is 1 million.
That's 2 between the wonder twins.

I' am just guessing here, but I think Johnsson and Gagne will get 2.5 million.
Esche probably 2 million.
That comes out to 7 million between those three.

So, 1.75 million for Radio, Somik, Sharp, and Seidenberg.
2 million for Carter and Richards.
7 million for Johnsson, Gagne, and Esche.

That takes us to 10.75 million.
LeClair and Amonte free up 11.3 million.
So after all of that we subtract 500K from the number at the bottom and get: 34 million (basically)

Leaving us ABOUT two million dollars to sign a defensmen, and that's our team.

Philadelphia Flyers
Player 2005-2006 salary (US) 2005-2006 salary with 24% rollback (US)
John LeClair $9 million $6.8 million
Jeremy Roenick $6.5 million $4.9 million
Tony Amonte $5.9 million $4.5 million
Keith Primeau $4.5 million $3.4 million
Danny Markov $3.1 million $2.4 million
Eric Desjardins $3 million (Player Option) $2.3 million
Michal Handzus $2.8 million $2.1 million
Donald Brashear $2.3 million $1.7 million
Mike Knuble $2 million $1.5 million
Sami Kapanen $2 million $1.5 million
Turner Stevenson $1.7 million $1.3 million
Joni Pitkanen $1.2 million $912,000
Mattias Timander $800,000 $608,000
Antero Niittymaki $500,000 $380,000
Todd Fedoruk $500,000 $380,000
15 Players $34,680,000

Last edited by Cross Out The Eyes*: 06-14-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old
06-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Nuclear

After a whole year off, Roenick would never get paid close to 5 million. He may score 50-55 points next season. I'd pay him 2.8-3.2 million

Brashear wont be back either IMO.

Old
06-14-2005, 12:53 PM
MojoJojo

Maybe we should merge these threads?

Old
06-14-2005, 10:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Seidenberg is not a player who will earn 7 figures yet.

Old
06-15-2005, 07:59 AM
Cross Out The Eyes*

Send a message via AIM to Cross Out The Eyes* Send a message via Yahoo to Cross Out The Eyes*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
TSN compiled a complete list of who is under contract for the 05/06 season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=9997

Heres how the Flyers stack up by my estimation.

according to TSN after the 24% roll back, we have 15 players committed to 34.68 mil. If, as is rumoured, each team is allowed to buy out 2 players in transition to the cap without it counting, we are down to 23.38 mil without LeClair and Amonte.

We need to resign the following players (with my estimated salary in millions): Gagne (2.25), Esche (2.5), Johnsson(3.0), Seidenberg (1.0), Sharp (.75). If the rookie max is set at 1.2 mil and Carter and Richards both are signed for this amount, the total for the unsigned players is 11.9 mil.

The grand total is 35.28 million, just barely under a 36 mil cap, and with some elbow room under a forty million dollar cap. We have two big holes, a winger and a defenseman. If we have no room at all, Timmander is our 6th defenseman, and we can always try to add Sim or Umberger for relatively little on the wing. If the cap is set at 40 mil or so, we have enough to get a UFA defenseman for about 4 mil + Sim, Umberger, or Somik. Depending on the UFA market, this should be enough to land a guy like Foote or Zhitnik, but probably not a Pronger or Niedermeyer. Also, buy trading Brashear (paying a small portion of his salary) we might be able to save an extra mil or so since Fedoruk is already included in the list of signed players.
You've estimated WAY too high with the RFA's, at least Sharp and Seidenberg anyway.

Seidenberg and Sharp and looking at about 400-500K.
If Fedoruk and Frank are getting 380K, Sharp and Seidenberg won't get much more.

I would estimate about 7 million between Johnsson, Gagne, and Esche.
I break it down as 2.5 for Johnsson, 2.5 for Gagne, and 2 for Esche.
Johnsson might get 3 million, but I can't see Gagne or Esche getting more than where I have them.

I heard the rookie cap will be 1 million flat.

You forgot Radivojevic and Somik.
I'd figure about 600-700K for each.

I think the team will choose between trading Fedoruk and re-signing Somik, or keeping Fedoruk and not re-signing Somik.
This will be for keep reasons, plus we don't need 14 forwards on the roster when we'll have Umberger, Eager, and probably Sim as solid callups.

Old
06-15-2005, 08:01 AM
Cross Out The Eyes*

They had all of the teams, I just picked out the Flyers.

With LeClair and Amonte bought out that frees up 11.3 million.
That takes the number down to about 23.5 million.

You'd still have to get the following guys under contract.

Carter, Richards, Gagne, Johnsson, Esche, , Radio, Somik, Sharp, and Seidenberg.

Between Radio, Somik, Sharp, and Seidenberg, you are looking at about 1.75 million.

Let's just say the rookie max is 1 million.
That's 2 between the wonder twins.

I' am just guessing here, but I think Johnsson and Gagne will get 2.5 million.
Esche probably 2 million.
That comes out to 7 million between those three.

So, 1.75 million for Radio, Somik, Sharp, and Seidenberg.
2 million for Carter and Richards.
7 million for Johnsson, Gagne, and Esche.

That takes us to 10.75 million.
LeClair and Amonte free up 11.3 million.
So after all of that we subtract 500K from the number at the bottom and get: 34 million (basically)

Leaving us ABOUT two million dollars to sign a defensmen, and that's our team.

Philadelphia Flyers
Player 2005-2006 salary (US) 2005-2006 salary with 24% rollback (US)
John LeClair $9 million $6.8 million
Jeremy Roenick $6.5 million $4.9 million
Tony Amonte $5.9 million $4.5 million
Keith Primeau $4.5 million $3.4 million
Danny Markov $3.1 million $2.4 million
Eric Desjardins $3 million (Player Option) $2.3 million
Michal Handzus $2.8 million $2.1 million
Donald Brashear $2.3 million $1.7 million
Mike Knuble $2 million $1.5 million
Sami Kapanen $2 million $1.5 million
Turner Stevenson $1.7 million $1.3 million
Joni Pitkanen $1.2 million $912,000
Mattias Timander $800,000 $608,000
Antero Niittymaki $500,000 $380,000
Todd Fedoruk $500,000 $380,000
15 Players $34,680,000

Old
06-15-2005, 12:38 PM
MojoJojo

I was being conservative, so someone didnt accuse me of being overoptimistic. Gagne, Esch and Johnson at 7 mil is reasonable

We can also save a little more by getting rid of Brashear, since Fedoruk's contract is already included on that list, and we have all the depth we need. With half his salary paid, he should be easy to unload. That saves an additional 850K, bringing the amount we can spend on a UFA to almost 3 mil (max).

This is going to be absolutely nuts once the UFA market is open for business.. Thank god we only need one player. I would hate to be one of those team heading into 05/06 with seven players signed and no good prospects in the tank.

Old
06-15-2005, 07:02 PM
porrylogspop

dont forget the cap will include benifits and pensions which will be about 2 - 2.5 million which is not salary so if the cap is 36 million the salarys would end up have to top off at 33.5-34 million then add the benifits to a total of 36 million.

Old
06-15-2005, 07:43 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by porrylogspop
dont forget the cap will include benifits and pensions which will be about 2 - 2.5 million which is not salary so if the cap is 36 million the salarys would end up have to top off at 33.5-34 million then add the benifits to a total of 36 million.
No one really knows such details yet, though it is something to keep in mind. There are quite a number of things which could disrupt this cap model: the buyouts might count vs the cap, the 04/05 season may not count vs the current contacts (ie. LeClair, Amonte would both have tweo years left instead of just one, and we would still have a Burke under contract), the cap might be lower, there might not be a 24% roll back, etc.

Old
06-16-2005, 10:59 AM
stanley

Quote:
...there might not be a 24% roll back, etc.
I think that ship has sailed, although I wouldn't be suprised to see the PA consider offering or accepting some sort of league-wide lowering of salaries.

At any rate, I think your disclaimer stating that many of the conditions we're using to make projections in this thread are presumptions on our part is important to remember.

Old
06-16-2005, 11:05 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I'm going to get slightly off topic. I'm going to miss Rex but part of me wonders if Clarke didn't resign him solely to free up the number one rw for Roenick and to begin the youth movement. Recchi was only asking for some three million dollars which is completely fair for our leading scorer.

Old
06-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Cross Out The Eyes*

It was time to move on, plain and simple.

The same can be said for LeClair and Desjardins, as well as JR after he gives us one more year.

Old
06-16-2005, 06:17 PM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I'm going to get slightly off topic. I'm going to miss Rex but part of me wonders if Clarke didn't resign him solely to free up the number one rw for Roenick and to begin the youth movement. Recchi was only asking for some three million dollars which is completely fair for our leading scorer.
I think that all things being equal, Recchi would have been the one veteran he'd want back the most. However, Recchi was different than the others because his contract was up - plain and simple in my mind. Had it been Roenick, then I would have expected him to walk away from Roenick. I don't think it had anything to do with moving Roenick to the wing.

Remember, he didn't say he didn't want to resign Recchi, rather than he wanted to wait to resign him. Recchi didn't want to wait. I can't blame either guy. I wonder - does the year off now mean Recchi is a free agent again, or did he have a clause in his contract that would keep him in Pittsburgh? I raise the question out of curiosity, not because I think that Pittsburgh and Recchi probably wouldn't mutually come to an agreement again.

Old
06-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Bobby Clarke almost seemed reluctant to sign Mark Recchi but I'm not going to second guess what he said though. Clarkie knew the lockout was coming so he wouldn't have to pay for the first year. This move is going to bother me for a while.

Old
06-17-2005, 11:56 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanely
I think that all things being equal, Recchi would have been the one veteran he'd want back the most. However, Recchi was different than the others because his contract was up - plain and simple in my mind. Had it been Roenick, then I would have expected him to walk away from Roenick. I don't think it had anything to do with moving Roenick to the wing.

Remember, he didn't say he didn't want to resign Recchi, rather than he wanted to wait to resign him. Recchi didn't want to wait. I can't blame either guy. I wonder - does the year off now mean Recchi is a free agent again, or did he have a clause in his contract that would keep him in Pittsburgh? I raise the question out of curiosity, not because I think that Pittsburgh and Recchi probably wouldn't mutually come to an agreement again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Bobby Clarke almost seemed reluctant to sign Mark Recchi but I'm not going to second guess what he said though. Clarkie knew the lockout was coming so he wouldn't have to pay for the first year. This move is going to bother me for a while.
The Recchi deal was for 3 years. He'll be 40 years old by the time his contract ends with the Pens. He is a nice player but I'll pass. Age has a way of sneeking up on players.

Last edited by Cuiff: 06-17-2005 at 12:01 PM.
Old
06-17-2005, 12:49 PM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
The Recchi deal was for 3 years. He'll be 40 years old by the time his contract ends with the Pens. He is a nice player but I'll pass. Age has a way of sneeking up on players.
Yeah, but Recchi isn't your typical 36-37 year old player. This is a guy who continues to have great wheels, great hands, and great vision. He looks after himself. The only thing is that we played him TOO much.

When the first round of the playoffs came, he was dynamite. However, in the second and third rounds, he was sucking wind. He was exhausted. And when you consider that he played a regular shift, power play time and penalty kill, yeah, we played him way too much.

I'd take Recchi over any of the other 30+ year old stiffs we have on the team. It's funny that Clarke wouldn't offer Mark a contract, but went out of his way to sign Malakhov and Zhamnov and they both turned down his contract offers. Screw them anyways. I hope where ever the two of them sign, that Hitchcock puts a picture of them up in the locker room and draws bull's eye circles around them.

Old
06-17-2005, 04:04 PM
porrylogspop

RECCHI HAD signed a 2 year contract with a club and players option for a 3rd year. recchi is under contract with the pens therefore cannot sign with anyone else

Old
06-17-2005, 05:34 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by porrylogspop
RECCHI HAD signed a 2 year contract with a club and players option for a 3rd year. recchi is under contract with the pens therefore cannot sign with anyone else
We know. We are talking about why he wasnt signed. Notice the following quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanasonicYouth
I'm going to miss Rex but part of me wonders if Clarke didn't resign him...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciufitelli
Recchi deal was for 3 years. He'll be 40 years old by the time his contract ends with the Pens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
It's funny that Clarke wouldn't offer Mark a contract...

Old
06-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Yeah, but Recchi isn't your typical 36-37 year old player. This is a guy who continues to have great wheels, great hands, and great vision. He looks after himself. The only thing is that we played him TOO much.
We played him too much because at thirty eight years old he was the most durable Flyer. Age hasn't taken it's toll on Rex because he's been extremely fortuante in the injuries department compared to others.

Old
06-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
We know. We are talking about why he wasnt signed. Notice the following quotes
Sorry. I though someone posted the question of resigning him next season. My bad.....relax

Old
06-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Cuiff

Quote:

When the first round of the playoffs came, he was dynamite. However, in the second and third rounds, he was sucking wind. He was exhausted. And when you consider that he played a regular shift, power play time and penalty kill, yeah, we played him way too much.

I'd take Recchi over any of the other 30+ year old stiffs we have on the team. It's funny that Clarke wouldn't offer Mark a contract, but went out of his way to sign Malakhov and Zhamnov and they both turned down his contract offers. Screw them anyways. I hope where ever the two of them sign, that Hitchcock puts a picture of them up in the locker room and draws bull's eye circles around them.

He was great in the regular season but who cares. The playoff are what matter and he did not have the legs for a long run. Then again, very few of our older players did. I agree he is better than most of the 30+ on our team but with all said and done, I rather have the room for the younger guys. Letting Mark go makes room for another young player to player a more active roll.

Old
06-19-2005, 12:39 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
He was great in the regular season but who cares. The playoff are what matter and he did not have the legs for a long run. Then again, very few of our older players did. I agree he is better than most of the 30+ on our team but with all said and done, I rather have the room for the younger guys. Letting Mark go makes room for another young player to player a more active roll.
And that "younger" players name is either Turner Stevenson or Mike Knuble.

Old
06-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
And that "younger" players name is either Turner Stevenson or Mike Knuble.

Turner Stevenson has a defferent roll. You know better than that.

Mike Knuble??? Maybe. You might not think that now but in 3 years you will.

Old
06-20-2005, 08:09 AM
FlyersFan10*

Well, the only thing I know is that I saw that KJ will be a free agent once the league starts back up again. If the free agency age is lowered as well, he might even be an unrestricted free agent. If we lose KJ, our defense core will be completely decimated.

With the new salary floor and ceiling, it means a team like Pittsburgh, which only has 6.5 million committed in salaries, will be able to sign a whole boatload of great players and all the teams that actually have a decent market have to pay for it. It's an insult to big market teams.

I do hope that there is some kind of balance that will happen because if the league thinks that parity is all about cutting off the big markets at their knees, it might end up doing even more damage than anticipated.

Closed Thread