Notices

Damage to the Saddledome and flooding in Calgary

Old
06-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Mike Jones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Or at least be at safe distance, people crowding the top of Crescent Hill to see downtown is fine, the idiot I saw on facebook climbing onto a floating car to take a picture is not.
Crescent Heights by the Mormon church is the best spot up there. It's safe, accessible and there's lots of room for everyone. The park by the emergency centre is not a good idea with all the people going back and forth - traffic would be horrible.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Canucks View Post
Iginlas old house is close to being flooded

Look at all the houses covered by the red area. Those are the people we should thinking about.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:54 AM
CapsandOilers

So where would the Flames, Hitmen, and Stamps play since their respective stadiums are flooded?

CapsandOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Thanks to all the visitors for your kind words. Our city is pulling together and hopefully the water levels go down soon!

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Hockey Ninja
Go Flames Go!

We should just play Water Polo all home games next year. We just might have a chance of making the playoffs.

Hockey Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:29 AM
herashak

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsandOilers View Post
So where would the Flames, Hitmen, and Stamps play since their respective stadiums are flooded?
are the stamps flooded? isnt mcmahon on high ground?

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:31 AM
BernieParent

Just one more expression of deepest best wishes and prayer for, first of all, improvement in the weather, then a quick and safe return to safer conditions and speedy clean-up.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsandOilers View Post
The Stamps confirmed McMahon is fine, and their season opener on Friday is still a go. If the Saddledome cannot get repaired before the start of the hockey season I have no idea what the Flames and Hitmen would do. I guess the Hitmen could play in the Corral (if that isn't water damaged too bad), but the ~7000 person capacity wouldn't be nearly enough for the Flames. Max Bell (3000 capacity) and those arenas by COP are also a temporary possibility for the Hitmen.

12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:33 AM
CapsandOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
Not sure I hope it is not though.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
Yes it is. It's up near the university and trans Canada highway (16th Avenue NW) so well away from the flooding.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:35 AM
CapsandOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 View Post
The Stamps confirmed McMahon is fine, and their season opener on Friday is still a go. If the Saddledome cannot get repaired before the start of the hockey season I have no idea what the Flames and Hitmen would do. I guess the Hitmen could play in the Corral (if that isn't water damaged too bad), but the ~7000 person capacity wouldn't be nearly enough for the Flames. Max Bell (3000 capacity) and those arenas by COP are also a temporary possibility for the Hitmen.
Well that is good about McMahon!! Will be interesting to see how things play out after the flood.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
The Corral is right next to the Saddledome so I can't see how it would be undamaged.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:42 AM
HuMz

For all my fellow Calgarians who have been fortunate enough to have our area's not effected and want to help volunteer. Keep in mind there is going to be overwhelming support over the next days.

But during the next few weeks and months are when people are going to be going back to there day to day lives and the support will start to drop off which is when alot of the volunteer opportunities will be needed.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Sventastic47

I know this isnt the only thing that is damaged but this is terrible..

Sventastic47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:08 AM

Holy ****
https://twitter.com/theofleury14/sta...71180719714304

12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:13 AM
J Murda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
The Corral is right next to the Saddledome so I can't see how it would be undamaged.
Whens the last time you saw a game at the Corral? I play the odd beer league game (and pay $12 to park for it), and everytime I'm there I think about how crazy it would be to see the Flames or Hitmen there.

The place is old school to say the least. The boards are super high and insanely bouncy, and the place seems like it hasnt been touched since it opened in 1950. Don't get me wrong, I think the place is awesome and it has a lot of history, including the hundreds of hockey photos from Calgary's historic teams, but I just cant see WHL or NHL games being played there. I would love to though...that glass would be like thunder with every hit but damn that place is old.

J Murda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Unlimited Chequing
Sweatpants: 9-5-0

vCash: 50
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

To my fellow Calgarian HFers, were any of you affected?

I live in Eau Claire, so I was in the evac zone the night of. Fortunately when CPS tweeted that our area was "next on the evacuation list", I started packing and getting ready just in case. I'd rather be in a situation where I can leave on my own terms instead of being forced to drop everything and run for the hills (in this case, somewhat literally). When I left, the armoured vehicles were starting to make their way in and CPS already blocked off the lower deck of the centre street bridge. In retrospect, leaving when I did was a good move since I think CPS declared it a must evac area a few hours later.

Given the situation, I think I came out relatively unscathed. My parking and storage is in the 4th level of the underground parking, so I'm pretty sure the stuff in my storage is gone, but my place should be untouched though I thought the worse when I saw what happened to the River Care and Chinatown.

My friend, on the other hand, lives in Erlton. He said he wasn't able to pack much when they left. When they got the evac notice, they spent all their time moving whatever was valuable from the basement to upstairs and left a lot behind and I'm not sure even that did any good after seeing photos of that surrounding area.

Last edited by Unlimited Chequing: 06-22-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Unlimited Chequing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

I'm glad that the province is pulling together to help out those in affected areas. Godspeed to an end in the flooding and in the clean up efforts.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:37 AM
HuMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sventastic47 View Post

This is a photoshop, the saddledome cut/lost power long before any water got anywhere near that high.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:43 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Chequing View Post
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

To my fellow Calgarian HFers, were any of you affected?

I live in Eau Claire, so I was in the evac zone the night of. Fortunately when CPS tweeted that our area was "next on the evacuation list", I started packing and getting ready just in case. I'd rather be in a situation where I can leave on my own terms instead of being forced to drop everything and run for the hills (in this case, somewhat literally). When I left, the armoured vehicles were starting to make their way in and CPS already blocked off the lower deck of the centre street bridge. In retrospect, leaving when I did was a good move since I think CPS declared it a must evac area a few hours later.

Given the situation, I think I came out relatively unscathed. My parking and storage is in the 4th level of the underground parking, so I'm pretty sure the stuff in my storage is gone, but my place should be untouched though I thought the worse when I saw what happened to the River Care and Chinatown.

My friend, on the other hand, lives in Erlton. He said he wasn't able to pack much when they left. When they got the evac notice, they spent all their time moving whatever was valuable from the basement to upstairs and left a lot behind and I'm not sure even that did any good after seeing photos of that surrounding area.
The good thing is you're safe. Things can be replaced in time.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:45 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sventastic47 View Post

Obviously a fake. I like the people just casually sitting there.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:49 AM
MarkGio

There's reports that water levels are dropping, but there's concern they may rise if there's more rainfall

Old
06-22-2013, 11:52 AM
NuckleTort

Best wishes from Van

We've checked on my wife's family there, and all seem to be doing...ok.
All rivalries aside, I would never wish that sort of damage on anyone.

Stay safe and worry about the Saddledome later. Not that you need ME to tell you that.

NuckleTort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Sventastic47

Sorry about the photoshopped picture,I just saw it on twitter and really didn't look closely,my bad

Sventastic47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:00 PM
YMCMBYOLO
Flames Six Show ****

vCash: 879
Quote:
What did it say? The post was deleted

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote