HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek

Old
06-21-2013, 06:32 PM
pyroxen

vCash: 500
Why di we need to dump salary?

pyroxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 06:39 PM
jhoops89
R.I.P. Thrashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
So you'd be willing to give up a mid 1st rounder and a prospect on the brink of busting for one of the top 10 goal scorers since the lockout AND one of the most decorated goaltenders in the NHL? Good to know.
Nino's not a bust yet, the Isles haven't given him enough time at the NHL level

jhoops89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack809f View Post
I'd give up Nino and our 1st.
If Vanek and Miller are in the same trade I expect it comes in return of 4 assets ( young players and picks)

Salary would be retained because buffalo needs to stay above the cap floor.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Seabrook = Thief

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroxen View Post
I hope Thomas stays in Buffalo.

Miller to a team that needs goaltending. Minnesota, Tampa, Isles come to mind. I don't think they'll play on the same team next year.
TB is not trading for another goalie

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 07:41 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
I'd give up Nino and our 1st.
I'd want at least one more significant asset added to the deal, but it's a nice start to a deal.

is the answer jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Joey Banana

My guess is that Vanek gets traded (if he doesn't sign an extension) and Miller not. The goalie market is insane this off-season and there's a big chance the Sabres won't get a good return (which means Regier doesn't do it) for Miller. Vanek is a guy a lot of teams could use for a year.

Imo, i would prefer Vanek to stay but i don't think he wants to spend another 2-3 years of his prime playing for a rebiulding team and i'm pretty convinced Miller will be with the Sabres at least until the trade deadline when the goalie market isn't that full of alternatives and his salary isn't such a huge burden anymore.

Joey Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:19 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 720
Quote:
Good luck dumping 14 mil worth of salaries in this market.
The Sabres don't need to "dump" salary, we have the 3rd richest owner in the league. Second of all, unlike an albatross deal like the one DiPietro signed, Miller is a top 10 goalie and Vanek is a top 10 goal scorer in the league. The Sabres can retain half their salary. Thomas Vanek is one of the most consistent goal scorers in the league and he does it in 2nd line ice time. Every team in the league would love to get an elite goal scorer like Vanek.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:35 PM
KJS14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
The Sabres don't need to "dump" salary, we have the 3rd richest owner in the league. Second of all, unlike an albatross deal like the one DiPietro signed, Miller is a top 10 goalie and Vanek is a top 10 goal scorer in the league. The Sabres can retain half their salary. Thomas Vanek is one of the most consistent goal scorers in the league and he does it in 2nd line ice time. Every team in the league would love to get an elite goal scorer like Vanek.
Miller a top 10 goalie? He had one or two good years in his career. He might still be top 30 that's about it. I'd rather keep Bryz than trade for Miller.

KJS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:18 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS14 View Post
Miller a top 10 goalie? He had one or two good years in his career. He might still be top 30 that's about it. I'd rather keep Bryz than trade for Miller.
I'm not one to pump up Ryan Miller but Miller is clearly better than Bryz.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:32 PM
number 19

Vanek would return a 1st round pick, top prospect, and a solid roster player. Similar to what Mike Richards returned for Philly. And who wouldn't pay that?

number 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:45 PM
couture23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I'm not one to pump up Ryan Miller but Miller is clearly better than Bryz.
I don't think he was saying Miller isn't better than Bryz, he just says he doesn't want to trade assets to acquire Miller when they already have Bryzgalov.

I'm not one to pump Miller either. I still think he is a tremendous goalie, he has his ups and downs but he is much better than Bryz and that is a fact.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 19 View Post
Vanek would return a 1st round pick, top prospect, and a solid roster player. Similar to what Mike Richards returned for Philly. And who wouldn't pay that?
Except the only part of that package that matched what you said was the Top prospect.

Simmonds was not a solid roster player at the time. He was just a 3rd line grinder that was though to have fairly limited upside.

And they didn't get a 1st, they got a 2nd.

Vanek wouldn't get close to the return Richards got, expiring contracts, player salaries, etc Richards held more value at the time then Vanek does now.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:32 PM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Already looking forward to our meetings next year. I went to a Sox game (as a fan), but I'd love to go to the Garden for a game as well.

I don't think he burns a team quite like he burns the B's.
My god, it's miserable. When we play Buffalo he is the only guy on the team that I positively KNOW is going to score at least 1 goal and probably have a 2-3 point night. It's bad when you can pencil in another player doing that to your own team on gameday mornings.

You should definitely come down to the Garden, maybe save it for a playoff game

N o o d l e s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:39 PM
CaptPantalones

i think Vanek ends up in washington. i got no idea where Miller goes

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 01:02 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Except the only part of that package that matched what you said was the Top prospect.

Simmonds was not a solid roster player at the time. He was just a 3rd line grinder that was though to have fairly limited upside.

Vanek wouldn't get close to the return Richards got, expiring contracts, player salaries, etc Richards held more value at the time then Vanek does now.
What was reported was Schenn Simmonds and an 2nd.

Schenn was considered a top NHL prospect. I watched Simmonds quite a few times with LA and he was a decent 3rd line player who had some scoring ability....he was young.

I dont have an issue getting a 2nd if I am getting an NHL wide top 5-10 prospect.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:07 AM
borisbadenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS14 View Post
Please!...Miller plays behind a **** defense. He fields more lower slot , defensive zone give aways, breakaway and odd man rush scoring chances per game than most goalies. Put him behind a good to great d and you have a top three goaltender.

Last edited by borisbadenough: 06-24-2013 at 08:35 AM.
borisbadenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:26 AM
borisbadenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post

Depends on who wants him. On Detroit he puts them over the top and probably scores 50+ and goes over 100pt playing with Pavel in the East. On a Philly playing with his first true #1 center in six years and a top 3 RW he goes 40+ ..Boston, (no cap room) My god! do not even want to think about that . Rangers? Sharks? Islanders ? Vanek and Taveres.. Geez. They both go 100 pts +. Remember Vanek is as much a playmaker as he is a scorer. He is unselfish with the puck and vastly improves any teams pp. Defensively he is average

You are correct.."at the time " He did hold more value". This time..Vanek's value is high if he goes to a team that he will sign with.8+ is my guess. I am sure he would take less to go to MInn

Last edited by borisbadenough: 06-24-2013 at 08:38 AM.
borisbadenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
No team is going to take on both salaries. It's not like they have chemistry together, anyhow.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs14 View Post
miller a top 10 goalie? He had one or two good years in his career. he might still be top 30 that's about it. I'd rather keep bryz than trade for miller.
lol...

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:52 AM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
if the Sabres are willing to eat a large chunk of that caphit, then there will be a huge market for Miller.

With the falling cap I really don't see how any team in need of a #1 (Philly, Minnesota) can eat that 6 million hit when they're already tight against the cap.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:53 AM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
i think Vanek ends up in washington. i got no idea where Miller goes
Vanek to Washington?

Unless they're dumping salary how on earth are they going to eat that caphit?

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:15 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Vanek to Washington?

Unless they're dumping salary how on earth are they going to eat that caphit?
We could take Alzner off their hands if they need to clear some cap.

Edit: Or more realistically Neuvirth (+picks/prospects/young players). If we're moving Miller, I think he'd be a good pick up to split starts with Enroth, while we let Hackett get another year of seasoning in the AHL.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:16 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
if the Sabres are willing to eat a large chunk of that caphit, then there will be a huge market for Miller.

With the falling cap I really don't see how any team in need of a #1 (Philly, Minnesota) can eat that 6 million hit when they're already tight against the cap.
If both Miller and Vanek get traded for picks/prospects/young players on ELC (or the usual low paying contracts that younger players mostly have) they won't have a choice but to both take a cap dump AND retain salary. We are currently sitting only a couple million dollars over the cap floor, and trading away both vanek and Miller subtracts over 13 million from our cap, leaving us with almost 30 million in cap space.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
I don't think he was saying Miller isn't better than Bryz, he just says he doesn't want to trade assets to acquire Miller when they already have Bryzgalov.
Miller is easily a more valuable asset than Bryzgalov at this stage, but the point being made is that the Flyers would be better of keeping Bryz for one year, then using their amnesty than paying in assets for the same one year time period with Miller.

If Miller were free, then Bryz could be amnestied now, but I don't think the Sabres are looking to give Ryan Miller away to the Flyers.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

I'm not one to pump Miller either. I still think he is a tremendous goalie, he has his ups and downs but he is much better than Bryz and that is a fact.
Miller really hasn't had many "ups and downs." He's been very consistent with a couple noticeable highs during his career. He's light years better than a plug like Bryzgalov and would put any contending team with goaltender issues in a much better place.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote