HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Officially Introduce Alain Vigneault As Coach

View Poll Results: What do you think of the hire?
Good hire 142 66.67%
Bad hire 7 3.29%
Neutral; will wait and see... 64 30.05%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-21-2013, 10:10 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Rangers Officially Introduce Alain Vigneault As Coach

Continue.

Press release
AV interview with Michael Kay
AV interview with Mike Francesa
One-on-one with AV
AV/Sather media Q/A part 1
AV/Sather media Q/A part 2

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard

Last edited by JeffMangum: 06-21-2013 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Added some HANDY DANDY links
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Where's that guy who absolutely guaranteed Torts wouldn't find another coaching job?
Still trying to prove that Chad Johnson will replace Lundqvist.

06-21-2013, 10:13 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

vCash: 500
Ah yes, Prince Chad. Where's he playing now? The Alaska Aces?

AV said everything Rangers fans want to hear about his plan for the team. Will he follow through? Lets see.

Torts and Vancouver media? I'll go make the popcorn

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think he was the best available option. Team needed a change, and AV might be a breath of fresh air for the boys.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

They should film some player-coach introductions. That would be fun for everyone. This is Stu Bickel, he's been with us for.... 3 years now? He's the janitor.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Nash Money

Were any players in attendance at the press conference? (Curious about BR, but if no players were there, prob doesn't say much.)

Nash Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
If you posit theories and opinions without quantifying them, it is no different than saying, it just is.

All I have asked for is evidence to back up opinions other than results. Results can be because of a myriad of reasons. Saying that the results were because of a coach not adapting to something that fans seem to be sure was a problem is illogical unless you think Tortorella is a blathering idiot.

We know he isn't that, at least as far as coaching a hockey team. He may be an idiot in other ways and a jerk behavior-wise, but he knows the intricacies of coaching a hockey team far better than any of us that post here, despite what some seem to believe.
You realize that any evidence I give you will not be quantifiable, right? For example, the Rangers struggled to break up forechecks and exit the zone against the Senators, Capitals and Devils last year. That was due to our forwards collapsing too low and not being able to provide puck support higher up along the walls. We saw the same thing happening against the Capitals and Bruins this year. Sure, you can quantify it if someone had clocked the amount of zone time spent trying to break forechecks and failing because of that specific reason. But we haven't done that, so it's a qualitative assessment based on watching the action on the ice. This was a problem last year. It was a problem this year. No sign of adaptation from the team. Either that means a.) the coach never gave the team an adjustment to help with the issue or b.) the coach did give the team the adjustment and they didn't bother executing it. Either one is a problem.

Another example would be the zone entry on the powerplay (nevermind the setup of the powerplay itself). Entering the zone on the powerplay shouldn't be a problem. Park two guys on either end of the opposing blueline. Have one player attack the blueline with speed, on whichever side of the ice feels best. Back the D up, enter the zone, pass the puck off to one of the two guys following along the boards. This isn't rocket science and it's how most of the good powerplays in the league gain zone entry. Setup follows from there. The Rangers barely ever were able to execute that. When they tried to set up that zone entry, instead the puck carrier would dump it in. The two guys at the blueline would be standing relatively still and would be unable to retrieve the puck. Or the puck carrier would attack the line with speed, but would have no support and would end up turning the puck over. This was an issue last year. It was an issue this year. Either that means a.) the coach never gave the team an adjustment to help with the issue or b.) the coach did give the team the adjustment and they didn't bother executing it. Either one is a problem.

These are qualitative assessments of the team's play supported by logical deduction on how it reflects on the coach. These are system issues that have little to do with the talent on the team. Stop looking for quantifiables. Watch the game. Use reason.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash Money View Post
Were any players in attendance at the press conference? (Curious about BR, but if no players were there, prob doesn't say much.)
Richards handed Torts's whip over to AV for him to use on him during the off season before he gets bought out.

Old
06-21-2013, 10:36 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

So, how are we all feeling about the abortive coaching search? Are we happy that Sather clearly had his guy and all Vigneault really had to do was not screw up the interview? Do we trust Glen that much? Are we a little miffed that there wasn't a more thorough search? Or would a more thorough search have led to missing out on the best guy available? Would it really have made that big of a difference?

I'm kinda on the fence on a lot of those questions. I don't trust Sather that much, although his last two coaching hires have been good. On one hand, I wish there was a more thorough search. On the other hand, I wouldn't have been unhappy with any of the choices except for Messier. A thorough search would've been nice, but if the GM had his guy, how could you begrudge him for not bothering?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:40 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
So, how are we all feeling about the abortive coaching search? Are we happy that Sather clearly had his guy and all Vigneault really had to do was not screw up the interview? Do we trust Glen that much? Are we a little miffed that there wasn't a more thorough search? Or would a more thorough search have led to missing out on the best guy available? Would it really have made that big of a difference?

I'm kinda on the fence on a lot of those questions. I don't trust Sather that much, although his last two coaching hires have been good. On one hand, I wish there was a more thorough search. On the other hand, I wouldn't have been unhappy with any of the choices except for Messier. A thorough search would've been nice, but if the GM had his guy, how could you begrudge him for not bothering?
Apparently, AV greatly impressed Slats AND Dolan in his interviews with them, so if he can leave that big of an impact on those two, I'm glad they snatched him up when they had the chance. I think Dallas offering him the job really forced Sather's hand, here, and I think he made the right move.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:47 PM
NYR Viper

He is extremely charismatic. That much is very noticeable. I like that he uses advanced stats and that he wants a large coaching staff. Shows modesty and an ability to take advise.

I wasn't 100% sure about it, but after watching him Nd hearing him speak I'm comfortable. He has my support while he makes the changes necessary.

All I hope is that people give him time. No coach is going to come in and implement his system right away perfectly. It takes time.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
He is extremely charismatic. That much is very noticeable. I like that he uses advanced stats and that he wants a large coaching staff. Shows modesty and an ability to take advise.

I wasn't 100% sure about it, but after watching him Nd hearing him speak I'm comfortable. He has my support while he makes the changes necessary.

All I hope is that people give him time. No coach is going to come in and implement his system right away perfectly. It takes time.
People can give him time or not. Glen is more than comfortable with him and the Canucks infamous slow starts is probably something that Glen is aware of.

I just know that the players will be very willing to play the game his way after Torts.

I am guessing 1 in 3 Ranger opened a bottle of champagne to celebrate this.

Old
06-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
Apparently, AV greatly impressed Slats AND Dolan in his interviews with them, so if he can leave that big of an impact on those two, I'm glad they snatched him up when they had the chance. I think Dallas offering him the job really forced Sather's hand, here, and I think he made the right move.
I think the negotiations went very much in AV's way judging from their jokes during the podium question period. It came down to more than just the money, I believe.

Old
06-21-2013, 10:56 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
I need the sleep coach as well.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:03 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think he was the best available option. Team needed a change, and AV might be a breath of fresh air for the boys.
Sums it up good.

Plus ill add to that - looking at it now, this was a good time to bring a new coach in. After a half season, things are going to start fresh for all 30 teams, with the new alignment, so there will be a bit of an adjustment period for any team.

Don't discount the fact that AV knows Detroit and Columbus better then a majority of the coaches in the East, and he understands the rigors of travel. That will count for something.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

I love all the rationalizing that's happening. Unless AV is really really charismatic or people changed their minds over night, there is no way that the thought and verdict on AV was 15-0-4. If AV is second to Eakins, then Eakins would have been Jesus in NYC.

Old
06-21-2013, 11:57 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Carrying over from the last thread

Quote:
I agree, just think that Torts personality in Vancouver is going to be a much more interesting situation than AV here. Actually though I'm not sure how much I'm going to like hearing the Torts supporters/bashers shove their "I was right" crap down our throats whenever one of the teams struggles or does well lol.
THIS is the #1 worst part of the coaching change for me. GDT's/PGT's are gonna get more unbearable than they ever were this year. The "Fire Torts!" crowd is gonna turn into the "Should've never fired Torts!" crowd. Team's gonna go on a hot streak and we'll get a billion posts about how Torts was ruining the team and Kreider. It's inevitable.

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:01 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I'm still not sold. But better than many of the alternatives.

I hope it works out.

06-22-2013, 12:11 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think any way you cut it, and even if you're not a fan of firing Torts, this isn't a BAD hiring. I could understand being excited or on the fence, but thinking it's a bad signing makes no sense IMO.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:14 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I think any way you cut it, and even if you're not a fan of firing Torts, this isn't a BAD hiring. I could understand being excited or on the fence, but thinking it's a bad signing makes no sense IMO.
Yeah it's a safe move. The poll already is showing that. Considering some of the other options, it makes this move seem a lot better than it really is in some regards.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Captain Monglobster

I'm against the Torts firing but since its over and done with I have no problem with AV. I would've had a big problem with Messier, Ruff, or Stevens.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:28 AM
Kershaw

Feel cautiously pessimistic on this one.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

I still feel this was the best option. Sather decided to fire Torts so we needed a new coach. With the available coaches, I think AV is the best coach we could wish for.

Tippett is not available, Eakins signed with Edmonton because he wanted a young team to start his NHL coaching career so AV is the right decision.

The guy is responsible for winning 2 President's Trophies. I know, it's not a Stanley Cup, but he got to the SC finals in 2011 as well. This guy knows what it takes and seems like a guy with a lot of hockey IQ.

06-22-2013, 01:02 AM
BwayBshirt

I've been impressed with AV since his Montreal days.

He's a good head coach.

I hope he's like a Claude Julien or a Joel Quenneville type a.k.a. someone who improves on his flaws & shows increasingly better results with each job.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 01:12 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
NEW FACE, DIFFERENT STYLE ACCOMPANY VIGNEAULT TO BROADWAY

Quote:
NEW YORK – It was a combination of things that saw Alain Vigneault named 35th head coach in Rangers franchise history during a glitzy press conference at Radio City Music Hall Friday morning.

His offensive style, his ability to adapt his style, and his seemingly more player-friendly approach are all complete opposites to what the Rangers had with former coach John Tortorella, whom team President/GM Glen Sather called “beyond stubborn” regarding his system and style of play.

“You have to put a system in place that maximizes the talent you have,” Vigneault said. “Originally when I got to Vancouver, we were more of a defensive-oriented team because our skill level wasn’t as high, our players hadn’t developed into the players they’ve become now. I think as we improved our roster and acquired more skill, we went to a more offensive system. In talking with people around [Rangers] management, our skill base is really solid, so [I’m] really looking forward to this opportunity.”
http://insidehockey.com/new-face-dif...lt-to-broadway

After the formal press conference, he did a sit-down with the print media, which I'll link to here:

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote