HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Regier Press Conference, 7/12/13

Old
07-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Woodhouse
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Regier Press Conference, 7/12/13

Regier presser audio: http://dropthepuckradio.com/files/35...213-regier.mp3

Last edited by Chainshot: 07-12-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:47 PM
26CornerBlitz

vCash: 500
@DropThePuckWHTK

[AUDIO] #Sabres Darcy Regier presser (on Gerbe, Tallinder, #SabresDevCamp, Cassidy, Ristolainen's contract + more)

http://dropthepuckradio.com/files/35...213-regier.mp3

26CornerBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:26 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26CornerBlitz View Post
@DropThePuckWHTK

[AUDIO] #Sabres Darcy Regier presser (on Gerbe, Tallinder, #SabresDevCamp, Cassidy, Ristolainen's contract + more)

Sounds like Gerbe put some pressure on the Sabres to give him better minutes, and the Sabres were toying with sending him down. Decided there wasn't really a convergence of interests.

"Dabbling" in free agency now, sounds like they were never really involved.

Agreed with reporter's question hypothesizing that with every passing day it becomes more likely that Vanek and Miller are here to start the season as lineups get more settled. Has not started talking to them about extensions.

Last edited by haseoke39: 07-12-2013 at 06:31 PM.
haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Sounds like Gerbe put some pressure on the Sabres to give him better minutes, and the Sabres were toying with sending him down. Decided there wasn't really a convergence of interests.

"Dabbling" in free agency now, sounds like they were never really involved.
It was pretty obvious given their depth at LW....assuming no trades it looked like on LW it would be Vanek, Leino, Ennis, and foligno were all ahead of him ans in the fuure Larsson/Girgenson winger would be ahead of him as well. He would be riding 4th line minutes. Had he been a RW he may hve been given a shot.

He wouldnt have gotten an offer next year thus making him a UFA --just buy him out now and save $1M+

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:21 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
It was pretty obvious given their depth at LW....assuming no trades it looked like on LW it would be Vanek, Leino, Ennis, and foligno were all ahead of him ans in the fuure Larsson/Girgenson winger would be ahead of him as well. He would be riding 4th line minutes. Had he been a RW he may hve been given a shot.

He wouldnt have gotten an offer next year thus making him a UFA --just buy him out now and save $1M+
Don't forget about the possibility of Philleanough at center, too

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26CornerBlitz View Post
@DropThePuckWHTK

I dont understand Darcy's explanation for why he hasn't spoken with Vanek or Miller's agent about a contract extension recently. Said he hasnt spoken with them at all since the draft. How you let 2 weeks pass without talking to agents of two premier players is just unacceptable in this situation. Why does Darcy always seem to do what he feels the rest of the NHL is doing, he never thinks for himself.

Blood is boiling.....I will let it ago.

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:44 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
I dont understand Darcy's explanation for why he hasn't spoken with Vanek or Miller's agent about a contract extension recently. Said he hasnt spoken with them at all since the draft. How you let 2 weeks pass without talking to agents of two premier players is just unacceptable in this situation.

maybe neither of them are interested in resigning

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:44 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
I dont understand Darcy's explanation for why he hasn't spoken with Vanek or Miller's agent about a contract extension recently. Said he hasnt spoken with them at all since the draft. How you let 2 weeks pass without talking to agents of two premier players is just unacceptable in this situation.

Personally, I suspect it's because he knows there's no chance of an extension. He can't tell the league that, but we all know it.

Old
07-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
Thats not what he said. if anything it would be better for him to say publicly that contract talks are ongoing, makes other teams feel the Sabres may sign them.

Old
07-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Thats not what he said. if anything it would be better for him to say publicly that contract talks are ongoing, makes other teams feel the Sabres may sign them.
He obviously wouldn't say "they don't want to re-sign here" if that were the case.

Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
He obviously wouldn't say "they don't want to re-sign here" if that were the case.
But saying what he said kind of implies that they arent trying to sign them or the players want out.

I just dont like his nonchalant style. I want Darcy in every interview to say we want them here, we want to sign them, we are trying to sign them. I am in constant contact with their agents.

Dont tell me you haven't spoken with them for 2 weeks, especially not right now when trades are happening and people are wondering what is going to happen.

My only option is to stop listening to this guy talk. I swear every interview he gives he says something that gets me going.

Old
07-12-2013, 07:59 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Yeah, it's aggravating having him come across as an arrogant ***** about the players. But that has been his MO since he's been here, see Peca, Drury, Briere, this instant and of course the "we don't negotiate with players during the year." He thinks he's above the players, and yes, I know in the hierarchy he is but you know....

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Yeah, it's aggravating having him come across as an arrogant ***** about the players. But that has been his MO since he's been here, see Peca, Drury, Briere, this instant and of course the "we don't negotiate with players during the year." He thinks he's above the players, and yes, I know in the hierarchy he is but you know....
He's shown that he does negotiate with players during the year when he's been allowed to, which he wasn't at the time under Golisano.

In this case it's pretty clear that Vanek and Miller, especially Vanek, aren't that hot on re-signing here. It's also not preferable that they do re-sign here, though I would be happy enough to see Vanek return compared to some of the other possibilities.

Old
07-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
He's shown that he does negotiate with players during the year when he's been allowed to, which he wasn't at the time under Golisano.

In this case it's pretty clear that Vanek and Miller, especially Vanek, aren't that hot on re-signing here. It's also not preferable that they do re-sign here, though I would be happy enough to see Vanek return compared to some of the other possibilities.
Honestly I thought there would be more hype with Vanek out there. After seeing what we may get back, i am totally against trading him now.

As for Regier, he was able to negotiate with players when Golisano was there. Regier even said that was something he changed after Briere and Drury. His thinking was handing out contracts during the year was a distraction and could cause jealousy. I heard him say it.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:26 PM
The Washer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
Can we all agree, that if either walks next year in UFA, that Darcy should be fired immediately?

The Washer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Not liking some of the responses. That they aren't in contact with the players flies in the face of the news-speak about "wanting" to keep either of them. If they want them, ****ing negotiate. If you don't want them, ****ing trade them.

Trying to have their cake and eat it too. Ugh.

07-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I just don't understand why Regier's handling of Vanek/Miller is such a point of contention.

If Buffalo wants them to re-sign and the players want to re-sign there's no rush.

If Buffalo wants them to re-sign but the players want to walk, if Regier isn't getting fair offers now then waiting until the deadline makes sense.

If Buffalo wants to trade them it doesn't matter what the players want, but either way Regier should be patient again until fair offers are out there.

For the 238th time, "tanking" is not in the organization's plans. They are in the process of trying to build a winning (or at least a full effort) culture around prospects, and tanking sends the opposite message. So trading Vanek/Miller in order to be worse and get better draft picks may seem swell to us, but that's not why they'll be traded (if they are traded). Regier's main goal in a potential Vanek/Miller trade will be to get the best return, and if that doesn't come until the TDL then that's when it'll happen.

I think a strong possibility is that Vanek and/or Miller want to wait and see how the team performs under Rolston before making a decision, with the TDL also acting as a decision deadline. If they like the direction of the team they'll re-sign. If they don't like it they'll say so and get traded then. I think that the team wants them back, so they're willing to give them that time unless a huge offer comes first. The team probably feels the risk in waiting and hoping to keep them is worth a possibly lesser return in a TDL deal. I don't think the difference in a trade today vs a TDL deal would be very much in either direction (for or against Buffalo), so I can agree with that thought process if it's the case.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I just don't understand why Regier's handling of Vanek/Miller is such a point of contention.

If Buffalo wants them to re-sign and the players want to re-sign there's no rush.

If Buffalo wants them to re-sign but the players want to walk, if Regier isn't getting fair offers now then waiting until the deadline makes sense.

If Buffalo wants to trade them it doesn't matter what the players want, but either way Regier should be patient again until fair offers are out there.

For the 238th time, "tanking" is not in the organization's plans. They are in the process of trying to build a winning (or at least a full effort) culture around prospects, and tanking sends the opposite message. So trading Vanek/Miller in order to be worse and get better draft picks may seem swell to us, but that's not why they'll be traded (if they are traded). Regier's main goal in a potential Vanek/Miller trade will be to get the best return, and if that doesn't come until the TDL then that's when it'll happen.

I think a strong possibility is that Vanek and/or Miller want to wait and see how the team performs under Rolston before making a decision, with the TDL also acting as a decision deadline. If they like the direction of the team they'll re-sign. If they don't like it they'll say so and get traded then. I think that the team wants them back, so they're willing to give them that time unless a huge offer comes first. The team probably feels the risk in waiting and hoping to keep them is worth a possibly lesser return in a TDL deal. I don't think the difference in a trade today vs a TDL deal would be very much in either direction (for or against Buffalo), so I can agree with that thought process if it's the case.
Holding Miller to the deadline is not going to increase his market value. Goaltending changes don't happen at the deadline, they are set over the summer.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:27 PM
ROR
fka BCS

It's so confusing and frustrating how Regier operates.

ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Holding Miller to the deadline is not going to increase his market value. Goaltending changes don't happen at the deadline, they are set over the summer.

Holding him until the preseason does. Injuries happen, teams panic.

IMHO.....Priority #1 is Hodgson.

Vanek and Miller talks likely happen in earsrly September and see where they are.

Aren't the also working on currently signing roster players for Rochester too?

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:29 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
For the 238th time, "tanking" is not in the organization's plans.
Yeah, the organization is just going to trade its top 3 forwards (Roy, Pommers, Vanek), half of its blueline (Rej, Leo, Regehr), and its starting goalie in little over a year for one role player and mostly futures because they're about winning in the short term.

Man, but maybe if you say it a 239th time, it'll start to make sense.

Seriously, you want the proof in the ******* pudding? Who does he bring in to help the organization win this year? McBain and Tallinder. The 6/7 defenseman on the 29th ranked defense in the league and another guy who spent half of last year in the press box. Those guys are coming to Buffalo on one-way deals. You cannot seriously argue that he passed up the entire UFA class to bring in those guys because he wanted to win this year. Otherwise, any holes created are being filled by 19 year olds. That is a plan to intentionally suck in the short term if ever I saw one. Add that to the litany of quotes about how we need to get to the top of the draft to get elite talent, and you're out of your mind if you don't think "tank" is the plan. And thank god it is.

Last edited by haseoke39: 07-13-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old
07-13-2013, 01:04 AM
Jacob582

Quote:

Spot on.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:09 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Yeah, the organization is just going to trade its top 3 forwards (Roy, Pommers, Vanek), half of its blueline (Rej, Leo, Regehr), and its starting goalie in little over a year for one role player and mostly futures because they're about winning in the short term.

Man, but maybe if you say it a 239th time, it'll start to make sense.

Seriously, you want the proof in the ******* pudding? Who does he bring in to help the organization win this year? McBain and Tallinder. The 6/7 defenseman on the 29th ranked defense in the league and another guy who spent half of last year in the press box. Those guys are coming to Buffalo on one-way deals. You cannot seriously argue that he passed up the entire UFA class to bring in those guys because he wanted to win this year. Otherwise, any holes created are being filled by 19 year olds. That is a plan to intentionally suck in the short term if ever I saw one. Add that to the litany of quotes about how we need to get to the top of the draft to get elite talent, and you're out of your mind if you don't think "tank" is the plan. And thank god it is.
And what was their record the last 10 games of the season?

No way is tanking part of the plan. If it was we would have been picking top 3 this year.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:19 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post

No way is tanking part of the plan. If it was we would have been picking top 3 this year.
How would the organization have fabricated a top 3 pick this year? Darcy traded away Pominville. It's not like tanking involves the GM telling the coach to suck or the coach telling the players to suck. Darcy hasn't made improvements to the roster this offseason and in fact has allowed the roster to become worse by trading Sekera for the future. He's clearly keen on trading Vanek and Miller as well. The organization is not making an effort to improve the team in the short term. Whether you call that tanking or not is semantics. It's clear the team isn't concerned with winning this season; this organization is concerned with the future.

Old
07-13-2013, 01:21 AM
EichHart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post

Think we were 8-4 during the last month of the season in April playing with a bunch of prospects/AHL call ups/futures/etc....

FINAL BUF (4) - PIT (1)

FINAL OTT (2) - BUF (4)

FINAL NJD (2) - BUF (3) SO

FINAL BUF (1) - WPG (4)

FINAL MTL (5) - BUF (1)

FINAL PHI (0) - BUF (1)

FINAL TBL (1) - BUF (3)

FINAL BUF (3) - BOS (2) SO

FINAL NYR (8) - BUF (4)

FINAL WPG (2) - BUF (1)

FINAL BUF (4) - PIT (2)

FINAL NYI (1) - BUF (2) SO