HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Off-Season Roster Build, Part Ad Nauseum

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
This is my thinking. Briere is the only so called 'top 6' guy I'd like them to look at (I think Flip will get too much money/length).

I'm guessing that Briere would sign for 2-3 years max, and on the basis they (Sabres) would trade him back to Philly, or another contender of his choosing if it suited both parties.

My bottom six guy at this stage is Gordon. See a few others name him - seems ideal for where they are at the moment.

And my bottom four guy would be Lydman - anyone have any comments on this who might have watched him closer for the Ducks ?
Lydman's dealt with some injuries in Anaheim. I remember he didn't start his first season with them on time because he had some weird issue with double vision. Maybe it's something in the water there, as Hiller also was dealing with his vertigo around the same season if I recall

I'm certainly open to Lydman. I still think it's more likely than not that Ristolainen isn't here this season. Whether he is or isn't, Lydman and Teppo are two great guys to help him along with his game as a defenseman, even without considering this Finnish aspect. Regarding that aspect, Lydman and Teppo would help Risto and Armia both with their adjustment to North America and the NHL. He's still a good defenseman when healthy and would slot in somewhere in our bottom 4.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:29 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
He's divorced, are you sure his family actually lives in Philly?

Edit: I guess this answers that
He has the money to pay to re-locate his ex. Given his career, it wouldn't surprise me at all if their parenting agreement/divorce paperwork had it written in to include the potential that he would be moved around.

So, I would be surprised if that were a major issue with Briere signing anywhere.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:42 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I think the Sabres need to add a veteran leader to help guide this young team.

Any of Briere, Koivu, Lydman, Sullivan, Ference, Aucoin, Cullen, Gagne would be nice additions. Obviously luring one of them to a rebuilding team is easier said than done though. The on-ice play is mostly irrelevant, it's the presence in the room that we could definitely use. Even a guy like Colby Armstrong might not be a bad pickup.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Lydman's dealt with some injuries in Anaheim. I remember he didn't start his first season with them on time because he had some weird issue with double vision. Maybe it's something in the water there, as Hiller also was dealing with his vertigo around the same season if I recall

I'm certainly open to Lydman. I still think it's more likely than not that Ristolainen isn't here this season. Whether he is or isn't, Lydman and Teppo are two great guys to help him along with his game as a defenseman, even without considering this Finnish aspect. Regarding that aspect, Lydman and Teppo would help Risto and Armia both with their adjustment to North America and the NHL. He's still a good defenseman when healthy and would slot in somewhere in our bottom 4.
I suppose the Finnish thing was in the back of my mind as well with Risto and Armia coming over in the next couple of years. I don't generally go for the idea you need a contingent of guys from one single country (thinking Leino as well)... but if they do go that route it may as well be Finland. Finns get you wins, remember.

I'm basing this on the depth chart being:

Ehrhoff
Myers
Pysyk
Weber
Lydman/similar 'bottom 4' UFA
McBain
Ruhwedel
+ any other youngsters stepping up

IMO they have to sign someone, especially after moving Sekera.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:00 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
He has the money to pay to re-locate his ex. Given his career, it wouldn't surprise me at all if their parenting agreement/divorce paperwork had it written in to include the potential that he would be moved around.

So, I would be surprised if that were a major issue with Briere signing anywhere.
It's more than money, it's about pulling kids away from their friends, their routines, schools, etc

Old
07-01-2013, 03:01 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
It's more than money, it's about pulling kids away from their friends, their routines, schools, etc
The Flyers can't sign him.

And it's unlikely that he hangs up the skates.

So, he's going to move somewhere.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:03 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
I suppose the Finnish thing was in the back of my mind as well with Risto and Armia coming over in the next couple of years. I don't generally go for the idea you need a contingent of guys from one single country (thinking Leino as well)... but if they do go that route it may as well be Finland. Finns get you wins, remember.

Ehrhoff
Myers
Pysyk
Weber
McBain
Ruhwedel

I totally forgot about Leino in my comment, whoops. Seeing what he'll do this year is actually one of the things I'm most looking forward to, considering how bad the team will be.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:26 PM
LGBuffalo

I've been mulling this over a bit and I'm torn on FA this year. I always would like the Sabres to make some type of splash whether it be on a higher-profile player, or perhaps even a trade. This year though I'd like to echo the bottom-six sentiment. This team needs elite talent, indeed, but there's just not any of it out there. So, a guy like Gordon would be perfect for this team to help in the effort department. That's the type of movement I'm hoping for.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:27 PM
LGBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
The Flyers can't sign him.

And it's unlikely that he hangs up the skates.

So, he's going to move somewhere.
True, but it could be NJ, NY, or even WAS. That way, he really wouldn't have to pull the kids out of school. Granted, I am on board with bringing him back to Buffalo, but I do think he's going to have options a bit closer to where he's currently located.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:30 PM
McTank

Tim thomas is coming back, not good for miller market

Old
07-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBuffalo View Post
True, but it could be NJ, NY, or even WAS. That way, he really wouldn't have to pull the kids out of school. Granted, I am on board with bringing him back to Buffalo, but I do think he's going to have options a bit closer to where he's currently located.
Not that I'm up on his personal life but considering the fact he's divorced I doubt his wife is going to move herself and the kids if he were to leave the area. That would be why he'd prefer to stay in the area.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:37 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
The mentally unstable vezina winner market is oversaturated

Old
07-01-2013, 04:29 PM
boots electric

I know this might shock people, but Briere isn't the first player with children to be divorced and uprooted due to the business of hockey. I'm not saying it doesn't suck or that it doesn't put more strain on the family, but it certainly doesn't mean there's zero chance Briere comes to play for Buffalo or anywhere else away from "home." It's happened before and it's going to happen again.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:31 PM
gallagt01

I'm fairly certain Briere said in a recent nhl.com article that his family situation won't factor much into his decision.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:41 PM
MayDay

Quote:

Ehrhoff
Myers
Pysyk
Weber
McBain
Ruhwedel

Any interest in bringing back Sulzer for another 1-year deal?

He's cheap, and he played well with his countryman Ehrhoff for stretches.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:57 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

Not really. If we are going the veteran route, let's find someone who can hit. Bottom pairing D-men who don't drool on themselves when the puck gets in their own zone aren't that hard to find.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:04 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Not really. Tim Thomas, let's see where he fits in.

Philadelphia? Hrm, a hostile environment with a group of dickish sportswriters who are looking for any quirk in the goalie so they can write all their articles about it rather than the Idiot GM who has run a contending team into the ground. Yes, let's combine that with an outspoken right wing goalie in a left leaning town. I can't see what could go wrong.

The Islanders: Ok, there might be a fit here. Well, until the team moves to Brooklyn next year, then I can imagine the real NY media getting a hold of him. Let's just assume the owners only want crazy goalies running the team, not playing for them.

The Oilers/Calgary: Yes, I'm sure Tim Thomas was to go to Commie Canada. Though, of all the GMs stupid enough to unleash Tim Thomas on their locker room, Jay Feaster is one.

Phoenix/Columbus/Nashville/Carolina were probably the best fit for him. Small market where his crazy rantings will only offend a small portion of the market. However, all of them are currently under contract.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:15 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

I would like to sign Briere for sure, he still has game and brings leadership which we need. Also wouldn't mind adding 1 Veteran D-man: Tallinder/Lydman/Scuderi, if we could sign Gordon that would also be awesome.

Tallinder for 4th
Briere also for 2 years 8mil
Gordon 4 years 7mil

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Leino-Briere-Stafford
Larsson/Girgs-Grigorenko-Foligno
Girgs/Larsson-Gordon-Kaleta/Scott/Tropp are interchangeable

Tallinder-Myers
Erhoff-McBain
Weber-Pysyk/Ruhwedel/Mcnabb

Enroth
UFA goalie (provided we don't keep Miller)

Old
07-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Not really. Tim Thomas, let's see where he fits in.

Philadelphia? Hrm, a hostile environment with a group of dickish sportswriters who are looking for any quirk in the goalie so they can write all their articles about it rather than the Idiot GM who has run a contending team into the ground. Yes, let's combine that with an outspoken right wing goalie in a left leaning town. I can't see what could go wrong.

The Islanders: Ok, there might be a fit here. Well, until the team moves to Brooklyn next year, then I can imagine the real NY media getting a hold of him. Let's just assume the owners only want crazy goalies running the team, not playing for them.

The Oilers/Calgary: Yes, I'm sure Tim Thomas was to go to Commie Canada. Though, of all the GMs stupid enough to unleash Tim Thomas on their locker room, Jay Feaster is one.

Phoenix/Columbus/Nashville/Carolina were probably the best fit for him. Small market where his crazy rantings will only offend a small portion of the market. However, all of them are currently under contract.
I think you're overrating how much a GM is going to care about this. Most GMs put winning over these concerns and I'm about 99% sure Holmgren is one of them. No team is going to make a big investment in him and I doubt he is looking for one. I'd be very surprised at anything outside of a 1-3 year deal, more expecting a 1 year deal.

Having said that, it's questionable which of the two any given GM would prefer.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
The mentally unstable vezina winner market is oversaturated
love it

Old
07-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Leino-Briere-Stafford
Larsson/Girgs-Grigorenko-Foligno
Girgs/Larsson-Gordon-Kaleta/Scott/Tropp are interchangeable

Tallinder-Myers
Erhoff-McBain
Weber-Pysyk/Ruhwedel/Mcnabb

Enroth
UFA goalie (provided we don't keep Miller)
Ennis cries in the corner.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Girgenburger

I've seen and read quite a bit of approval concerning Briere coming back to Buffalo. I feel the opposite if he's going to be making any more than 2.5/3 mil annually. How valuable can he be to our youngsters sitting in the press box injured?

I'd like to see Darcy put together a high risk/reward package for a proven talent. I know we're re-building, but I don't think that means we shouldn't be looking to add top tier talent if we have the assets, which, now we have even more of. I'm not saying, "we just drafted new prospects so the old prospects become expendable." I'm against selling the farm, but realize that we now have a lot more options after this draft. The names E. Kane and Seguin were being thrown around yesterday. It'd be nice to see Darcy at least try to get one of those guys to play in Buffalo. If not one of them, somebody of that ilk/profile/talent level. We haven't had such high profile players since Briere and Drury left. There's gotta be one star in his 20's who sees the foundation Darcy has laid and wouldn't mind being a part of it. I have a hard time believing there isn't. Darcy just doesn't want to pony up the assets to snag a player like that.

Frankly I think it's really tough to sell the city of Buffalo to someone when there's places like LA, NYC, Philly, Toronto, etc. the bigger market teams completely make Upstate New York irrelevant.

I want our youngsters to learn from players like that. If we let mid-tier players who were already once pushed out of Buffalo (a la Lydman, Briere) mentor, what are they actually learning?

Okay, went off on a tangent a little bit. This is what I've been thinking about today.

Last edited by Girgenburger: 07-01-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old
07-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
I've seen and read quite a bit of approval concerning Briere coming back to Buffalo. I feel the opposite if he's going to be making any more than 2.5/3 mil annually. How valuable can he be to our youngsters sitting in the press box injured?

I'd like to see Darcy put together a high risk/reward package for a proven talent in his prime. I know we're re-building, but I don't think that means we shouldn't be looking to add top tier talent if we have the assets, which, now we have even more of. The names E. Kane and Seguin were being thrown around yesterday. It'd be nice to see Darcy at least try to get one of those guys to play in Buffalo. If not one of them, somebody of that ilk/profile/talent level.

I want our youngsters to learn from players like that. If we let mid-tier players who were already once pushed out of Buffalo (a la Lydman, Briere), what are they actually learning?
Not saying I disagree with the gameplan, but what exactly would young players learn from Evander Kane or Tyler Seguin? That's a ridiculous notion, especially in Kane's case since he seems like a bit of knucklehead.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

I dont have an issue with them signing Sulzer or Pardy. Id like to see what Sulzer can do over a full season.

im not sure what the rules are in terms of signing them to an AHL contract them calling them up. They can sign both then see how training camp goes then see if they would clear waivers to rochester.

What I dont want to do is sign a UFA vet to a long term 3-6 yr contract now...either forward or Defense.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Girgenburger

Quote:
Not saying I disagree with the gameplan, but what exactly would young players learn from Evander Kane or Tyler Seguin? That's a ridiculous notion, especially in Kane's case since he seems like a bit of knucklehead.
Seguin and Kane may have attitude problems at this stage in their pro careers. But their production and skill on the ice is undeniable.

I wasn't really saying them specifically. They're younger and are kids themselves. I was simply using them as comparables for talent we should be looking to acquire.

I'm talking more about players in the 25-30 year old range who are actually still effective and talented. I don't want players on their last leg to be the ones with the voices in the locker room. I want someone who can say, "this is how it's done", and can actually go do it.

Closed Thread