HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1945 Dink Carroll Column Two Goalie System

Old
06-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
1945 Dink Carroll Column Two Goalie System

Interesting column by Dink Carroll at the start of the 1945-46 season outlining the history and ideas behind the two goalie system with a look at the Rangers and Lester Patrick's idea of using both Chuck Rayner and Jim Henry.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6110%2C5277020

Canadiens1958 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Interesting.... this Goalie Legs Fraser, was he on the depth charts with the Habs? Doesnt ever to appear to have played a game for them, but decent enough career in the minors and later as a Coach in Saskatchewan & Manitoba. Member in fact of the Manitoba Hall of Fame.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 09:56 PM
mbhhofr

http://www.mbhockeyhalloffame.ca/hon...tegory=9&id=87

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Well thats interesting. The Ottawa Senators had a Senior A Club in the 40's? I dont see them listed in the OHA Senior A League.... and on my search also discovered a Senior B circuit in Ontario.... along with a Junior D in Southwestern Ontario. I mean, why bother calling yourselves "Junior D"? Who needs that? Once you plumb the depths past Junior B wouldnt you just want to call your league like Tri-County or Elgin-Lambton or whatever?

Old
06-24-2013, 06:03 AM
Canadiens1958

Ottawa District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well thats interesting. The Ottawa Senators had a Senior A Club in the 40's? I dont see them listed in the OHA Senior A League.... and on my search also discovered a Senior B circuit in Ontario.... along with a Junior D in Southwestern Ontario. I mean, why bother calling yourselves "Junior D"? Who needs that? Once you plumb the depths past Junior B wouldnt you just want to call your league like Tri-County or Elgin-Lambton or whatever?
Ottawa District which included Cornwall, out to Brockville could play in Quebec leagues and did as far back as the late thirties. Pollock used this when moving the junior Canadiens to Ottawa to play in Quebec.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...l19521941.html

Also teams on the Quebec side - Hull etc could play in Ontario leagues. See Hull Volants:

http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Hull_Volants

Initially the league/team designations A,B,C,D, were a function of population not talent. Ripe for gaming the system.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Interesting, and yes, I aware of the designations as per population base. Just being a smartass.... Im assuming the Montreal Concordia team was connected to the University? Did they also play perhaps in the CIAU or had that been suspended due to WW2?

Old
06-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Canadiens1958

Concordia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Interesting, and yes, I aware of the designations as per population base. Just being a smartass.... Im assuming the Montreal Concordia team was connected to the University? Did they also play perhaps in the CIAU or had that been suspended due to WW2?
Concordia University was created in the early seventies - merger of of Sir George Williams and Loyola universities. Montreal Concordia in the QSHL predates that by a bit. Believe it was the result of a merger of two teams. Would have to check.