HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > GM Games and HF Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
GM Games and HF Leagues All GM Games and Fantasy League drafts and discussion go here.

HFB Build a Dynasty: Active Players GM Draft (DISCUSSION THREAD)

Old
06-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Jussijuice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Very happy to get Karlsson at 10. Knew I was gonna get him, Subban, or a top center there. Was hoping for Giroux, but Karlsson isn't a bad consolation prize at all.
Was hard for me to decide between the two as well. Both great picks at 9-10

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 05:26 PM
CBJ All The Way
HFBoards Sponsor

Does this simulator take in account of stats like Hits and Blocked Shots? I think it would be really helpful if you could list stats accounted for in the simulator

CBJ All The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 05:34 PM
GetZolnierczyked*

Do players retire in the simulator?

GetZolnierczyked* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ All The Way View Post
Does this simulator take in account of stats like Hits and Blocked Shots? I think it would be really helpful if you could list stats accounted for in the simulator
There is a "defense" rating for all players. I would guess hits and blocked shots are a large factor in this.

The website makes it sound like you build a team of elite shutdown d and forwards and they might beat a highly skilled pure offense group.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:47 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
The website makes it sound like you build a team of elite shutdown d and forwards and they might beat a highly skilled pure offense group.
Roy backstopped such a Habs team and New Jersey's first cup was that sort of squad.

That said, there are different ways to win.

Whatever the case, build a team you like and appreciate and you can't lose.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 05:56 PM
CBJ All The Way
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Roy backstopped such a Habs team and New Jersey's first cup was that sort of squad.

That said, there are different ways to win.

Whatever the case, build a team you like and appreciate and you can't lose.
Very Well Said

CBJ All The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 06:17 PM
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioState2015 View Post
Do players retire in the simulator?
Yes. Over the course of time.

87and71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 06:59 PM
BarDownBobo

Ok two questions: first how many seasons are we doing? And second, this could be a big issue; what happens if a player re-signs with his actual club during the course of the game? Which cap hit do we use?

BarDownBobo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 07:27 PM
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!

I'm willing to go as far as folks want season wise. I really hope folks want to stick round for at least a few seasons anyway. That was my plan from the beginning.

I can edit rosters so that teams stay the way each GM handles them. For instance next year we will have a free agent period much like in real life. That's the great part about this draft. Is not only do you have to take into account salary cap but also the players you are drafting....how many years do they have on their deals? How likely are they to get a raise?

For instance if Giroux (just using him as an example) signs an extension in real life and has a cap hit of 8M per in 2014-15, the team here that drafted him has to account for that.

Old
06-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Definitely down for multiple seasons, that's the best part of sim leagues. How long does it take to sim a season? How often throughout the season can we make trades, only at the deadline?

Really sorry to add more questions to the list, I know how that can get haha.

How is free agency going to work? I understand we will be using real life extensions, but if we have a free agency period I take it we wouldn't be using real life contracts anymore at that point?

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
I'll make my pick soon, went out to dinner and just got back, have to assess who's left

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 08:02 PM
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyum View Post
Definitely down for multiple seasons, that's the best part of sim leagues. How long does it take to sim a season? How often throughout the season can we make trades, only at the deadline?

Really sorry to add more questions to the list, I know how that can get haha.

How is free agency going to work? I understand we will be using real life extensions, but if we have a free agency period I take it we wouldn't be using real life contracts anymore at that point?
This is something i'd like to get some input on from other members. I want to make sure we hash out FA that is agreeable for everyone.

As for the speed of the sims. I can sim entire seasons in the matter of minutes. Or it can be broken down into more detailed descriptive type games, with minute by minute updates etc.

Trades should work no problem, it'll just be a matter of editing rosters and the GM's will have to keep track and be accurate with the salary caps, or otherwise be penalized etc.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:19 PM
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilina View Post
I'll make my pick soon, went out to dinner and just got back, have to assess who's left
And you're back up again already in round 2.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

i suggest doing detailed game by game sims, doing say 5-10 games a week depending on how long we want this to take. Plus I assume we're doing playoffs? Maybe we could have awards like best defensive forward corp (Selke) best blueline (norris) best beards (Zanon) etc?

Also how are we going to handle prospects, just draft them in the main pool? have a separate draft? have them in our main draft and undrafted players in a separate one?

Old
06-23-2013, 08:27 PM
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!

Prospect will be drafted within this. That's the cool aspect is there are some really good players who haven't met rookie status yet in the NHL so the trick is where you do you draft them among active NHLers. Since FA can rob you of high priced players, having a strong prospect pool will help alleviate big raises etc.

Make sure everyone read the rules on player eligibility. It's in both the draft picks thread and sign up thread. Standard rookie requirements apply. Players that have met rookie requirements by NHL standards must be put on the NHL roster.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87and71 View Post
And you're back up again already in round 2.
Already??? Haven't even put a list together for this one!

Old
06-23-2013, 08:56 PM
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!

Just to make sure everyone is aware.....this years prospects (McKinnon, Jones, Drouin etc) MAY be drafted for you minor league rosters. They cannot be put onto your NHL roster due to the Sim not having them incorporated.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:12 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Jeez, so many good players left. Having such a tough time figuring out who I should pick.

BTW, please don't mention any undrafted names to keep it fair. That's pretty much a given rule in any fantasy draft.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

So if we lose a player our team to FA and they sign with someone else, where do they go?

Old
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

BTW, what's the cap? Because if it's still 64.3M, there's no way that's gonna work with only 16 teams.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

Yeah... I'm having a hell of a time deciding who to pick right now. My question is how is UFA going to work? That's gonna play a factor into my pick. Is it based on real life or will we have an agent? Will our players ever become UFAs?

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 09:14 PM
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!

The cap is set at 64.3M for this first year.

What i'd like to do for year 2 and beyond is take the actual NHL cap and add 10% since we do only have 16 team.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:15 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87and71 View Post
The cap is set at 64.3M for this first year.

What i'd like to do for year 2 and beyond is take the actual NHL cap and add 10% since we do only have 16 team.
I can guarantee you there's gonna be very few teams under that once the draft is set. For now it doesn't matter, but give it some time and you'll see.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:17 PM
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!

What I sent to one of the other commish's.

This is for Free Agency:

The other option for FA is that we have a set period of time (I've done this with football many times) where we open up bidding. Any team can bid based on their cap space on up to say 3 players at a time (no more) in a 24 hour period.

A bid has to stand (meaning it can't be topped) for 24 hrs to be finalized. So in essence GM's get to pick which targets they want and have to spend according to their team salary.

Obviously we would use a separate thread for FA bidding and i'd need help keeping track of the bids. I've done this successfully with 32 NFL teams so I know we can do it with 16 teams here.

Every year, after the season closes we'll hold a bidding period on FA. Each team can bid on up to 3 players at time, and no more than 3 in a 24 hour period.

A bid has to remain for 24 hours (meaning nobody outbids whatever current number is up) for it to be final.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Jussijuice

It takes a little more planning and skill, but staying under $64 million is possible.

Will that mean half of the expensive top-6 players in the NHL aren't picked? Probably. Just control yourself in who you pick and it is possible. Build a real team with 3rd and 4th liners instead of a typical 16 team stacked fantasy team.