HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > GM Games and HF Leagues
GM Games and HF Leagues All GM Games and Fantasy League drafts and discussion go here.

HFB Build a Dynasty: Active Players GM Draft (DISCUSSION THREAD)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2013, 06:24 PM
  #201
DonutLee
7 Past Kevin
 
DonutLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87and71 View Post
Guys, just to be clear:

YOU CANNOT GO OVER THE 64.3 MILLION CAP LIMIT DURING THE DRAFT OR AT ANY POINT AFTERWARDS.

DonutLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:32 PM
  #202
BarDownBobo
Registered User
 
BarDownBobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Yak City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,693
vCash: 500
Ok I asked this before, but I didn't really understand the answer. So I've drafted APiet, who is a RFA. If he re-signs in real life, what do I have to use as his cap hit? Like as of now I'm cap planning for him at 3.16M, but if he suddenly signs for 6M per am I all the sudden on the hook for that and have to account?

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:34 PM
  #203
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,888
vCash: 157
Still can pretty much guarantee that'll have to go up. I ran a 20 team mock draft with a 90M cap and all but like, 4 teams were within 2-3M of the ceiling. Good luck shaving another 25M off of that.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:43 PM
  #204
Pitt's Best #87 #66
Registered User
 
Pitt's Best #87 #66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Still can pretty much guarantee that'll have to go up. I ran a 20 team mock draft with a 90M cap and all but like, 4 teams were within 2-3M of the ceiling. Good luck shaving another 25M off of that.
There's almost no way it's going to work. Too many good players will just be sitting around.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:44 PM
  #205
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Ok I asked this before, but I didn't really understand the answer. So I've drafted APiet, who is a RFA. If he re-signs in real life, what do I have to use as his cap hit? Like as of now I'm cap planning for him at 3.16M, but if he suddenly signs for 6M per am I all the sudden on the hook for that and have to account?
Negative. This year, all RFA's and UFA's will go off their 12-13 cap hit number. Only because we're not going to have free agency this first year. If he re-signs (likely) you would then transfer that number over to next years cap hit.

87and71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:47 PM
  #206
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Still can pretty much guarantee that'll have to go up. I ran a 20 team mock draft with a 90M cap and all but like, 4 teams were within 2-3M of the ceiling. Good luck shaving another 25M off of that.
Guys, I've posted a few times, but will again.

This first year, we're sticking with the actual cap. However, next year we will take the NHL cap and add 10% because we have fewer teams. So say the NHL cap goes up to 70M next year in real life. We'd add 10% to that and that would be our ceiling.

We can't adjust the cap now that the draft has started. I think people would have drafted differently if the cap figure was say 90M. I know I would have approached it differently.

I'm simply managing my roster as the real life GM's would based on the cap number.

Yes, there will be some good players out there, but that only means more FA's to bid on next year during FA for everyone.

87and71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:50 PM
  #207
Pitt's Best #87 #66
Registered User
 
Pitt's Best #87 #66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,075
vCash: 500
My only question is if we are bidding on FA anyways which means their contract would differ from their real life number then why just can't we have an RFA agent that signs them to a new contract?

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:51 PM
  #208
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt's Best #87 #66 View Post
My only question is if we are bidding on FA anyways which means their contract would differ from their real life number then why just can't we have an RFA agent that signs them to a new contract?
That's a good idea. How would you suggest we handle agents?

87and71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:57 PM
  #209
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Also here is how I've ran Free Agency in my football GM drafts.

1. All UFA's may be bid on by any team with positive cap space.

2. Teams may have 3 outstanding bids on players at a time. Never more than that.

3. Bids must go unbeaten for 24 hours to be finalized with the high bidding team. Meaning if you bid 5M on player A at 7PM/Wed, and no team bids higher than that by 7PM/Thur, you win the bid

4. Bids must be topped by 10% increments. For example. If you bid 5.0M on player A, the next team that bids, must put in a bid of 5.5M

5. RFA may be offered a contract but the team owning rights obviously has the right to match offer or take compensation for the loss.

87and71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:00 PM
  #210
Jussijuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Exactly, part of the strategy. Build the best team within our set means. It means we won't have guys like Iginla on the 3rd line, maybe those expensive vets don't even get picked up. Is it worth it to your team to have him there? It's all strategy, not easy but fun.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:01 PM
  #211
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,888
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87and71 View Post
Guys, I've posted a few times, but will again.

This first year, we're sticking with the actual cap. However, next year we will take the NHL cap and add 10% because we have fewer teams. So say the NHL cap goes up to 70M next year in real life. We'd add 10% to that and that would be our ceiling.

We can't adjust the cap now that the draft has started. I think people would have drafted differently if the cap figure was say 90M. I know I would have approached it differently.

I'm simply managing my roster as the real life GM's would based on the cap number.

Yes, there will be some good players out there, but that only means more FA's to bid on next year during FA for everyone.
So we're using the NHL's salary cap... but with half the teams. Sounds perfect.

I think our side of this argument will become more apparent and make more sense as teams grt into the 15th and 16th rounds and they'll be tight up against the cap already.

I'd open up trading after the 10th round if the cap situation looks bad, personally.

Just my input/suggestions. It is your game, after all.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:10 PM
  #212
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,888
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87and71 View Post
Also here is how I've ran Free Agency in my football GM drafts.

1. All UFA's may be bid on by any team with positive cap space.

2. Teams may have 3 outstanding bids on players at a time. Never more than that.

3. Bids must go unbeaten for 24 hours to be finalized with the high bidding team. Meaning if you bid 5M on player A at 7PM/Wed, and no team bids higher than that by 7PM/Thur, you win the bid

4. Bids must be topped by 10% increments. For example. If you bid 5.0M on player A, the next team that bids, must put in a bid of 5.5M

5. RFA may be offered a contract but the team owning rights obviously has the right to match offer or take compensation for the loss.
Sounds just about perfect here.

Also, just to clarify, I'm not suggesting to raise the cap to 90M. 70.2M is probably as high as it should go up to, although it would be so that we don't have to worry about the cap so early on, which it's kind of late for.

It's definitely possible to build a team under that cap, but 16? We'll see.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:11 PM
  #213
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
So we're using the NHL's salary cap... but with half the teams. Sounds perfect.

I think our side of this argument will become more apparent and make more sense as teams grt into the 15th and 16th rounds and they'll be tight up against the cap already.

I'd open up trading after the 10th round if the cap situation looks bad, personally.

Just my input/suggestions. It is your game, after all.
Oh I see where you're coming from. But it's not like people have to spend crazy amounts during the first 10 rounds. If people follow the rules, which they knew from the start, then nobody should go over the cap. That's how i'm going about drafting. I have a clear idea of who I want, and how to go about it, without spending crazy early on.

Granted, yes, there will be some very good players not drafted because of it, but, those players will all be scooped up during bidding wars, which will be even better because the cap will rise significantly next year.

And I posted the details on how FA will work. I've ran it successfully with 32 NFL GM's, so I know we can pull it off with half that.

87and71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:17 PM
  #214
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,919
vCash: 500
This league attracted me in large part because it was to be a CAP league with only 16 teams! That means there will be tons of talent left over (for later pick up) and lots of tough decision making about who to draft based on salary value considerations.

My Phantoms have drafted based entirely on the set rule of a 64.3 m cap in season one.

Logan Couture (2.875)
P.K. Subban (2.875)
Antti Niemi (3.8)

Knowing there's a 64.3 m cap I was shocked to see teams spending $20 million on their first three guys. That kind of spending spree can't continue. Of course, there are many ways to build a team under the cap: spending early, spreading out the salaries, spending less than the cap for trade or adding salaries later, etc.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:18 PM
  #215
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,888
vCash: 157
No they certainly don't - I know both you and I haven't (I've got <19M in my 4 players so far) which leaves me with plenty of room for some expensive picks down the road. But plenty have 25+M already spent - they're the ones in some serious trouble if they don't watch it (which, trust me, will happen).

Just keep it at 64.3M for now, this argument won't become relevant for a while (hopefully not at all). Everything else is being run amazingly well so just keep it up and we'll be fine.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:23 PM
  #216
rattpak87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Do the players in our minor league system count towards out team's cap?

rattpak87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:24 PM
  #217
How Ya Drouin
NonAngry Canucks Fan
 
How Ya Drouin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,146
vCash: 914
I'll do my pick soon. Deciding on a few players right now. Also, how do you view how good a player is on the sim? I can't find it...

How Ya Drouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:25 PM
  #218
Pitt's Best #87 #66
Registered User
 
Pitt's Best #87 #66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87and71 View Post
That's a good idea. How would you suggest we handle agents?
Just as we do in GM Games especially for RFAs. Most RFAs have no problem re-signing. Sure, if you draft Pietrangelo then you aren't 100% sure what his cap hit is gonna look like but you should have a rough estimate. And you could even have the RFA negotiations going on during the draft so that way people knew how much space they had. It's more like real life that way. I will even volunteer to be an agent lol

I also think everyone should get a chance to re-sign 1-2 of their UFAs before they hit FA. You get one offer and that's it. And the agent can decide what might be best for their client.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:25 PM
  #219
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattpak87 View Post
Do the players in our minor league system count towards out team's cap?
No. I'm pretty sure I put that in the rules section. If I did not, it will be added.

Thanks!

87and71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:25 PM
  #220
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,919
vCash: 500
There are two kinds of GMs I fear in any cap league:

1) the homer picker who drafts their favorite few guys early then disappears;
2) the guy who blows his money on early round picks then fails to live with the consequences of his actions (wants to change the rules or quits).

Let's encourage responsible drafting and team management. If the NHL can operate under the cap then we can too. Don't be tempted to draft the BPA at any price. Consider the VALUE of a player relative to their salary. Budget. Manage a team! This can be a cool league if we have a core of dedicated guys not just ADHD impulsive drafters like the shortlived masses in the graveyard of fantasy leagues.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:27 PM
  #221
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,888
vCash: 157
1 offer per UFA beforehand sounds good. I'd say 3 for RFAs too just to make things interesting (if you can't get the right value after 3 offers, there's something wrong with you).

I can be a FA agent as well, if needed (but I'm leaving July 7th for a week, if that affects anything).

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:28 PM
  #222
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,919
vCash: 500
Didn't the rules say that drafted free agents will be signed to their 2013 salary if the 2013/14 salary is not available? I swear I saw that posted but haven't checked. If so, then budgeting for RFAs and UFAs isn't an issue at all.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:28 PM
  #223
rattpak87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
There are two kinds of GMs I fear in any cap league:

1) the homer picker who drafts their favorite few guys early then disappears;
2) the guy who blows his money on early round picks then fails to live with the consequences of his actions (wants to change the rules or quits).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Let's encourage responsible drafting and team management. If the NHL can operate under the cap then we can too. Don't be tempted to draft the BPA at any price. Consider the VALUE of a player relative to their salary. Budget. Manage a team! This can be a cool league if we have a core of dedicated guys not just ADHD impulsive drafters like the shortlived masses in the graveyard of fantasy leagues.
THIS!!!

rattpak87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:31 PM
  #224
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Yes, that was one of the rules I forgot about from the NFL FA periods!

We usually would allow each team to re-sign 1 UFA before FA started. You could re-sign a UFA for 25% increase the following year. We'd have to tweak it a little for Hockey obviously, but it works well that way.

Guys like Crosby (just throwing his name out there as example) would never hit FA anyway, so it is realistic for each team to be able to retain a UFA for a raise of some amount.

87and71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:32 PM
  #225
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Didn't the rules say that drafted free agents will be signed to their 2013 salary if the 2013/14 salary is not available? I swear I saw that posted but haven't checked. If so, then budgeting for RFAs and UFAs isn't an issue at all.
Yes, any player that doesn't have a 2013-14 cap number, you use the 2012-13 cap hit for this first year. Whatever they sign this summer, you will use that number for your cap figure next season.

87and71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.