Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emrick

Old
06-22-2013, 10:21 PM
SergeiSamsonov*

vCash: 500
Emrick

Has gotten progressively worse the past couple of years. That empty net call was straight up embarrassing.

SergeiSamsonov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:26 PM
N o o d l e s

I saw people saying they wished Hernandez would pick up Seidenberg from the airport. I wish he would pick up Emrick. He ****ing blows.

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:32 PM
eskimo7737

If the correct tripping call on Frolik on Krug was called,like it should have, that embarassing empty goal never would have been called.. he is horrible. somewhere Jack Edwards is having a hearty laugh while having a cold one..

eskimo7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:36 PM
PJ StockBB

this guy ****ing sucks. can't stand him. he botches players names non stop. if I hear him call Krejci Peverley or vice versa one more time I'm going to lose my mind. he sucks. he's absolute fluff. pink hat fans (basically the blackhawks entire fanbase) like listening to him, not people who actually can understand the basics of hockey.

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:42 PM
hooked

Does he mess up the Blackhawks player names as much as he does the Bruins? Horton being called Seguin is one thing but how the hell can he think Krug was Seidenberg.

BTW, I don't give a **** whose birthday it is...

hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Strafer

Can't stand Emrick either but: you guys do know that no matter what Emrick calls he isn't the referee and he doesn't make THE CALLS right? I mean c'mon he's a lousy announcer, he has NO bearing on the game, just our enjoyment of it...
Rooney on the other hand is a ***** **** **
* ** ** ******** *** carry on!

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Rancid McGoiter
Lieks Boxxy

Send a message via AIM to Rancid McGoiter
Doc and the entire NBC crew are atrocious. I think any fan of any team will agree. Senile Cole is a treat compared to them.

Rancid McGoiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid McGoiter View Post
Doc and the entire NBC crew are atrocious. I think any fan of any team will agree. Senile Cole is a treat compared to them.
Exactly they all suck even Millbury blows these days.

All a bunch of Bruins haters

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Open Ice

People on the main board seem to hate him overall, too. But what really blew my mind is the hatred they applied to him is the kind of hate usually reserved for Jack Edwards. Lots of complaints about the variety of word choice, stuff like "paraphernalia" instead of "goalie-pads." Seems like most people want their pbp "bland" and "not too smart."

That said, I'm tired of Doc's voice. Is the idea that he speaks to the casual fan or the non-bias fan?

I'm just curious, do you all think it's better for NBC to have a "neutral" pbp guy as opposed to letting two homer pbp teams have the privilege of going the distance with their team?

Open Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:04 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Edit.......

Last edited by SouthernHab: 06-23-2013 at 12:08 AM.
SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:22 PM
crimsonace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Ice View Post
That said, I'm tired of Doc's voice. Is the idea that he speaks to the casual fan or the non-bias fan?
I'll be honest, I really like Emrick. His style is different, and he does miss a name or two. As a play-by-play person, you'll miss one a time or two when you're keeping track of 36 players in a fast-moving game, especially when all you can see is a 3" high sleeve number half the time from 200 feet away. When everything you do is on national TV, you're exposed quite a bit and every mistake is magnified a bit.

We're somewhat fortunate in that, for all of his over-the-top homerism, Jack & Brick are excellent announcers (as are Goucher & Beers on the radio). We get spoiled by getting to see the best game-in and game-out. We also -- and fans of teams do -- get used to our announcers' style.

That said, Doc is very, very good at what he does. His style is unique (and not everyone likes unique, I know), but I tend to enjoy the vocabulary he uses, the fact that he really truly enjoys what he does (rather than just treat it like a job like Joe Buck) ... and it shows. He's also a very genuine, down-to-earth person who simply loves hockey, and is a fan of the game who is also a very gifted communicator. Maybe because Doc's style is similar to mine as a play-by-play guy (although I'm nowhere near as good )-- call what you see, show a personality, have fun at it and don't go out of your way to try to fit yourself into a box.

crimsonace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:23 PM
Shaun
twitter:shaunjamesss

it's so bad that I listen to music during most games now. He can't get names right, he's old, he's completely useless and I hate him.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:25 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

I don't see how people can like anyone on the NBC crew. But Doc is the MOST annoying. Getting players names constantly wrong, getting over excited for everything and MOST annoying his random ass stories about basically nothing......

Like I remember he brought up something that happened 100 years ago during todays game or maybe even 80 years ago.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:26 PM
crimsonace

Quote:
I'm just curious, do you all think it's better for NBC to have a "neutral" pbp guy as opposed to letting two homer pbp teams have the privilege of going the distance with their team?
Absolutely not. While we could stomach Pat Foley (who may be the best at what he does), do you really think the rest of the country could handle Jack Edwards for a few games? Heck, NHL Network/CNBC goes out of its way to NOT show the NESN feed when the Bruins are playing, even though protocol is to show the home feed.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Its funny that someone like Crawford(or in the past Reimer, "king" henrik....etc) makes an easy save and NBC goes bonkers

Yet

Rask makes a spectacular save and they are ho hum

Old
06-23-2013, 12:36 AM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post
Exactly they all suck even Millbury blows these days.

All a bunch of Bruins haters
To be fair, Millbury has always blown

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:37 AM
MioneRask134
Queen in the North

I've had enough of him and Pierre.

MioneRask134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:39 AM
David Krejci*
STANLEY CUP CHAMPS

I mute the tv and listen to Beers and Gouche. He is absolutely horrible in every way. I have never heard anyone so unenthused as when I heard his call of the clock hitting zero in Game 7 vs Vancouver. Add in the constant name screwing up and all his other crap, no way, not having it.

David Krejci* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Open Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonace View Post
I'll be honest, I really like Emrick. His style is different, and he does miss a name or two. As a play-by-play person, you'll miss one a time or two when you're keeping track of 36 players in a fast-moving game, especially when all you can see is a 3" high sleeve number half the time from 200 feet away. When everything you do is on national TV, you're exposed quite a bit and every mistake is magnified a bit.

We're somewhat fortunate in that, for all of his over-the-top homerism, Jack & Brick are excellent announcers (as are Goucher & Beers on the radio). We get spoiled by getting to see the best game-in and game-out. We also -- and fans of teams do -- get used to our announcers' style.

That said, Doc is very, very good at what he does. His style is unique (and not everyone likes unique, I know), but I tend to enjoy the vocabulary he uses, the fact that he really truly enjoys what he does (rather than just treat it like a job like Joe Buck) ... and it shows. He's also a very genuine, down-to-earth person who simply loves hockey, and is a fan of the game who is also a very gifted communicator. Maybe because Doc's style is similar to mine as a play-by-play guy (although I'm nowhere near as good )-- call what you see, show a personality, have fun at it and don't go out of your way to try to fit yourself into a box.

I bet this is true for many an aspiring or working play-by-play guys. I'm betting there aren't too many of them/you who do not think of him as an ideal model. He's a play-by-play guy's play-by-play guy. Where do you do your pbp'ing?

I'm not at all against individuality and being able to utilize a varied vocab. I'm one of those freaks who liked it better when Jack Edwards was a REALLY insane, before he sort of toned it down a bit.

Old
06-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Open Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post
Its funny that someone like Crawford(or in the past Reimer, "king" henrik....etc) makes an easy save and NBC goes bonkers

Yet

Rask makes a spectacular save and they are ho hum

I couldn't agree more and yet I wish there was a way to quantitatively prove it.

Is it a Bruins thing? Or something else?

Old
06-23-2013, 07:45 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid McGoiter View Post
You'd be surprised, there was a thread in the Stanley Cup Talk boards about Doc and I seemed to be in the majority bashing him. I actually brought up the fact that he was absolutely terrible with names and uses the same line over and over while yelling into the mic and people just say "durrr, he's exciting!!" Not sure how exciting he can be when every time somebody hits the post it's, "Ohhhh!!! He hits the post. with. the. SHOT!!" How many times have you heard "OHHHH!! AND IT WOULDN'T GO?!?!" It sounds like Doc isn't even in the building and somebody is just using a soundboard from home, that would at least explain all the missed names.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 07:54 AM
ODAAT

Having not being force fed Emrick, I can`t really comment on his PBP job, but I do wonder if it were the B`s who were/are up 3-2 in this series if the consensus on here would be different?

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Rancid McGoiter
Lieks Boxxy

Send a message via AIM to Rancid McGoiter
Chara should change his first name to Six-foot-nine, and I think they're all mispronouncing Cry-chee on purpose. The only person worse with names is Cherry.

Rancid McGoiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 08:33 AM
crimsonace

Quote:
I bet this is true for many an aspiring or working play-by-play guys. I'm betting there aren't too many of them/you who do not think of him as an ideal model. He's a play-by-play guy's play-by-play guy. Where do you do your pbp'ing?

I'm not at all against individuality and being able to utilize a varied vocab. I'm one of those freaks who liked it better when Jack Edwards was a REALLY insane, before he sort of toned it down a bit.
I do some high school & small-college sports around Indianapolis (and also serve as one of the PA guys for the Indiana Ice, the USHL team that spawned Torey Krug & John Carlson).

I generally listen to guys like Emrick, Dave Goucher and a few guys in the Midwest (Pat Foley & Pat Hughes in Chicago, Chris Kerber in St. Louis) who tend to all have a similar style of having a personality. When I was coming through college, a lot of guys were *really* mechanical, trying to be precise and perfect (a la Joe Buck). Jim Hughson on CBC is probably the best of the technical announcers. Every play is described in exactly the same way and there's really no personality -- the game should be the star. Most hockey announcers aren't mechanical because of the speed of the game and the fact that one must use emotion to convey things. Ever since Gus Johnson showed up, there's been a trend to the announcer *trying* to be the star again (essentially the homer school taken to a national stage), because everyone's trying to out-Gus Gus. The emergence of Ian Darke on soccer has added to that school.

To me, there has to be a nice blend of precision, personality and a little bit of fun. Doc's not as precise but he conveys the joy of the game. Goucher is more precise but still has a great personality and conveys the emotion of the moment. There's an art to play-by-play, and like any kind of art, we'll all have differing opinions on what we like and don't like.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:37 AM
MaCam

He was more enthusiastic calling that empty net goal last night than he was calling down our Cup win.

MaCam is offline   Reply With Quote