HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXIII: Hemsky To Ottawa?

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2013, 05:17 PM
BlueChip01

vCash: 500
Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXIII: Hemsky To Ottawa?

The Oilers have 3 trades done right now. They will announce them after the finals.

MOD EDIT-I decided to move these posts into the new thread so that we can keep track of them and so that people opening this thread and not the old one can get to see them since there is bound to be a lot of excitement based on some of these comments made.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 06-23-2013 at 03:57 AM.
Old
06-22-2013, 05:20 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
The Oilers have 3 trades done right now. They will announce them after the finals.
exiting, if your right.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:20 PM
BlueChip01

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
exiting, if your right.
I am right.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:25 PM
duul

vCash: 50
Quote:
Holy jumpin.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:25 PM
BlueChip01

I'm getting more details. One is supposed to be big.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:35 PM
BlueChip01

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Care to let us know if it involves our core?

BECAUSE IT BETTER NOT INVOLVE OUR CORE!!!

Not our core from what I know

Old
06-22-2013, 05:38 PM
BlueChip01

I just know there are 2-3 trades done I screwed up my first post.

We will hear lots after the finals. No concrete details yet.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:41 PM
duul

I posted a rumor here that my friend who is a Carolina prospect was being dealt to the Oilers, although it fell through for the time being. I have also stated that my dad took his mba with MacT in Vancouver a few years ago.

Adding to what Bluechip is saying, the last time I talked to him he said they had 5+ trades in the works right now, and one especially that would be interesting.

All I'm going to say right now is there is a good chance we trade with Ottawa and Carolina right after the finals. I'm not going to give you any guarantees but from what I've heard, that's all I can say without looking like an idiot.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

BlueChip1 just reminded me of his source. I'll let it stand and let the proof be in the pudding.

06-22-2013, 06:01 PM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
Same here its been great hockey but tbh I'm more excited to hear about the Oil. Especially if this 3 trade rumor is true.

I am curious to know who the names are. Hemsky and Horcoff?
Hemsky yes.

Old
06-22-2013, 06:12 PM
BlueChip01

Mac T is going to be good for us. He is a go getter.

Old
06-22-2013, 06:24 PM
BlueChip01

They have more than 3, but 2-3 are done.

Old
06-22-2013, 06:28 PM
duul

Quote:
They have more than 3, but 2-3 are done.
Yes, 5+ trades in the works.

I'm going to go ahead and say we have a trade completed with Ottawa.

Old
06-22-2013, 06:30 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Yes, 5+ trades in the works.

I'm going to go ahead and say we have a trade completed with Ottawa.
And it is safe to say it is involving Hemsky

Old
06-22-2013, 06:33 PM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
And Smith
I'm unsure about the return.

Old
06-22-2013, 06:35 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
I'm unsure about the return.
Wait... you have a source? We have two people who aren't madly speculating?!

Old
06-22-2013, 06:38 PM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post

The best part? BlueChip and I have the same info regarding an Ottawa trade (I think). Already spoken to numerous mods in PM.

Old
06-22-2013, 06:38 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:

I was being serious about Hemsky as an Senator. If he isn't a Senator by the end of next week I will eat some serious crow. Book it.

Old
06-22-2013, 07:01 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers1084 View Post
Go to the comment section. I'm on my phone, I couldn't quote what the person said.

Old
06-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Super Six
The Future has CLASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
It can't be a trade with Ottawa. It would have leaked out of Bryan Murray trap by now.

Here's my only beef with Zack Smith... his PK time dropped significantly this year, about a 75% reduction in SH TOI. Otherwise, he brings a nice blend of tertiary scoring, hitting and face-off wins.

Kinda wish he still had the multi-colored faux hawk too.
Smith is a beauty, I couldn't tell that much myself but our coach kept on saying that he's one of our most improved players this season. Some might say that he's just pumping his own players tires, but the only other player that he says the same about is Kyle Turris, who's had a monster season for us filling in for Spezza.

If he's going your way, we're gonna be sorry to see him leave. He takes stupid penalties sometimes, but his puckhandling through the neutral zone has improved (imo). Like you said, he's gritty, scores, hits, fights (pretty good), and agitates (reminds me of Rutuu sometimes).

Perfect center playing bottom line roles in my opinion. If that's what you guys need, you'll love him.

Old
06-22-2013, 07:36 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Before every season I write a scouting report of every Senators player on the board as an unbiased reference I can refer people to, especially if they are traded, just so people don't accuse me of souring on a player just because he's not a Senator anymore.

Here's what I wrote on Smith and Greening if you guys are interested:

Quote:
Zack Smith

Strengths
  • Good defensively
  • Physical
  • Good shot
  • Decent mid-weight fighter
  • Great Hockey Hair
Weaknesses
  • Not great offensively
  • Below average at faceoffs
  • Wearing Heatley's old number

General Comments: Probably tops out as a checking line center, has shown flashes of offensive potential, but has never proven to be a top point getter any time in his career at any level. Has had problems taking bad penalties in the past. Hit a wall around the All-Star break last year and his play dropped off significantly. Will need to prove that it was just fatigue from a long season the year before (Calder Cup run), instead of his play falling back down to earth.

Colin Greening

Strengths
  • Fast Skater
  • Good Defensively
  • Good along the boards
  • Versatile (Any forward position, any line)
  • Hard Shot
Weaknesses
  • Not much of a point producer

General Comments: A coach's dream, big-bodied with the enough talent and hockey sense to not look out of place on the wing of any line (1st to 4th); Can play on both wings, and does a admirable job at the center position. Unfortunately, has never produced points at any level in his career, and thus would would be more useful in a bottom-six role, with the occasional stint on a top line to do the dirty work for more skilled offensive players on the team.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1326703

--

The only things I would add is to what I wrote about those two is that Smith really drives me crazy with how often he misses the net high and wide when he's coming down the wing on the rush, and the Greening would be a superstar if he actually hit people and used his size to bully people like he does once every ten games more consistently.

Old
06-22-2013, 07:39 PM
AK Dandyman

During the middle of the season when Hemsky was healthy and also before the trade deadline, I was proposing Hemsky to Ott for Zack Smith & Greening.

Greening had a good playoff. Zack Smith wasn't very consistent in the playoff defensively. He didn't see as much ice time in the playoff than in the regular season. May be that makes him expendable from the Ott perspective.

Both would be good upgrades for our bottom 6 as they are big, strong, physical players who will hit people. Smith looks to be not bad on faceoff with .518 faceoff % this season. He may be a good fit for our 4th line center role.

Old
06-22-2013, 07:46 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Is that below average on the Senators regular average for everywhere else? How do you tell below average, because faceoffs are a major concern in the City of Edmonton (we can't win one to save our lives)
If you mean Smith, it's kind of an outdated scouting report (seeing as I wrote it before the season).

Smith has improved tremendously on faceoffs this season. He's not a top faceoff man in terms of the league, but the guy this season was >50%, and probably our most reliable faceoff taker after Spezza went down.

Old
06-22-2013, 07:59 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
HFSens making there presence known.

Thanks for the insight guys. I suppose its hard to argue with Paulrus (btw, hilarious), I didn't take home a Jack Adams recently.

It's looking like the Oilers are going to be hurting for PK minute munchers with 5 of their 8 8 top SH munchers (4th - Ryan Smuyth, 7th - Sam Gagner, and 6th - Anton Lander, who may be in the AHL) heading to market and the others (Horcoff, Belanger) not likely to be back.

Do you still think Smith is limited offensively? Or that he bottomed out this year as well? Hard to compare because of the shortened season vs. the short turn around from Calder Cup --> NHL Season I suppose.
Just based on history, Smith really hasn't been a great point producer at any stage of his career. It's just hard to see him being any more than a third line checker in terms of point production to be honest.

The only time when he looked like he could be more was during the 2011-2012 season before the All-star break when he looked like something clicked and he figured it out. Then he got his bell rung in San Jose right before the All-star break and suddenly it's like the aliens from Space Jam sucked away his offensive potential.

The guy still creates good chances, but like I said, the guy's ability to miss the net high and wide was amazing, and that's on a team with the lowest shooting % in the entire league this season.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:12 PM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

Smith is not going to light it up and put out big numbers, which is ok because that is not his job. My understanding is that Edmonton need a bit of sandpaper in the lineup, and needs to be tougher to play against. If the rumours are true, Smith will give you all of that and then some.

The big pro for him is toughness. The second big pro is that he never seems to take shifts off, and is a tough matchup for the other side. Also a great team guy.

The biggest con I see in his game is he tends to lose important D Zone faceoffs late in the game. He is normally decent at FO, but for some reason when the chips and down and other teams bring out their top guys he just never seems to get it done.

Closed Thread