HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXIII: Hemsky To Ottawa?

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

vCash: 500
Im pretty sure they have a few small trades like Plante/Tuebert for other teams scraps as well.

No source on this one just logical that first round D men with size get a 2nd or 3rd chance.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:12 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
Zack smith would only be a 4th liner on an insanely deep team at c. He's going to be one of those perfect 3rd line centers Who can step into the top six and not miss a beat. He's skilled enough to play with offensive players. He's only a 24 year old pwf, I wouldn't be surprised if he became a regular 40 point player. Also he's one of those guys teams need in the playoffs. He's being under rated.
Agree with this. Also, keep in mind that when we had all the injuries, MacLean asked him to play a shut down role and praised him effusively for the job he did this year. It affected his offensive production but he did what was asked of him. My beef was that he didn't always play on the edge. He's sooooo much more effective when he's an ass on the ice. He was a bit too passive at times for my liking but still be very good player and he'd be missed a great deal if traded.

He tends to thrive with offensive players - so a great 3rd line C that can move up when injuries hit. I'd be sad to see him leave if true, I think he's a guy that helps teams win.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Hattrick Swayzie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
If there is truly an Ottawa deal on the table, I'll have to tip my hat to Murray for staying quiet.
every deal Murray has ever made came out of the blue with no leaks at all

Old
06-23-2013, 10:20 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMR of Justice View Post
There's a grain of truth to this: all the deals that get leaked out of Ottawa seem to be the ones that DON'T get done.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:20 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMR of Justice View Post
I guess that's a good thing as the ones that don't go through get leaked from our standpoint. Must mean this one is going through.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Hattrick Swayzie*

Quote:
If there is truly an Ottawa deal on the table, I'll have to tip my hat to Murray for staying quiet.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I would be on board for him. He's the right age for a d-man. Still in his prime, but experienced at the NHL level. Led the Flyers in time on ice per game and short handed time on ice per game (top 5 ranked PK). And capable of putting up 20 points in a season which is handy to have.

He is pretty pricey at 4.5 million for the next 3 years, but he would be a nice addition I think.

Smid-Petry
Coburn-J. Schultz
N. Schultz-Belov

Still could use another legit puck moving d-man for (ideally) the top pair, but more likely perhaps the bottom pair.

Maybe a Marek Zidlicky or even Joe Corvo on a 1 year deal.
I really see no need whatsoever for the Oilers to pick up anybody that isn't a 1-2 defencemen. Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that the availability of 1-2 defencemen goes from minimal to non-existent, however Coburn is kind of on the fringe in terms of being a top pairing guy.

Defence by committee certainly works for some teams, but it hasn't for the Oilers any time recently. We all saw the impact Pronger had for us, not to mention almost all of the elite teams having at least one elite defencemen. Sorry, but Smid isn't an elite defencemen by any stretch of the imagination, and while J. Schultz could be, he is probably going to take a couple more years to get there. I like what Petry brings to the table and Belov is intriguing, but it will be a surprise if either becomes a #1-2 d-men

I dunno, I'm just not convinced that depth at defence is a major problem, we just lack one guy who can play 25-30 minutes a game in all the important situations.

The price for these guys is probably generally very high, but you get what you pay for sometimes...

Old
06-23-2013, 10:35 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
I really see no need whatsoever for the Oilers to pick up anybody that isn't a 1-2 defencemen. Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that the availability of 1-2 defencemen goes from minimal to non-existent, however Coburn is kind of on the fringe in terms of being a top pairing guy.

Defence by committee certainly works for some teams, but it hasn't for the Oilers any time recently. We all saw the impact Pronger had for us, not to mention almost all of the elite teams having at least one elite defencemen. Sorry, but Smid isn't an elite defencemen by any stretch of the imagination, and while J. Schultz could be, he is probably going to take a couple more years to get there. I like what Petry brings to the table and Belov is intriguing, but it will be a surprise if either becomes a #1-2 d-men

I dunno, I'm just not convinced that depth at defence is a major problem, we just lack one guy who can play 25-30 minutes a game in all the important situations.

The price for these guys is probably generally very high, but you get what you pay for sometimes...
The problem is the odds of us getting one of those top pairing d-men isn't exactly going to be easy. We might be forced to go defense by committee.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:37 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 1425
So 3 different posters all seem to think a deal with Ottawa is done?

Old
06-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post

I'm going to have to disagree with you completely that defensive depth is not a major issue.

Yes, we absolutely lack a guy who plays 25-30 minutes, but that doesn't mean we don't also lack 2 guys who can play in the top 4 responsibly. Right now we have 2 in Smid and Petry. J. Schultz is still a bottom pairing d-man and so is N. Schultz. The Potters, Belovs, Peckhams etc are all fringe NHLers until proven otherwise.

This team has finished 30th, 30th, 29th, and now 24th. (30th, 28th, 23rd, 19th in GA/game) I don't know how you can possibly say that defensive depth is not an issue. Everything flows through the back-end. You get guys who can reliably and quickly move the puck out of your own zone you a) make it so you give up far fewer scoring chances and b) allow your offense to strike more quickly resulting in more goals.

This team needs any help it can get on the backend.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Fuhryous

vCash: 50
Quote:
Mac-T must have had "the caretaker" from Happy Gilmore follow him around.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:29 AM
frag2

So is Hemsky going to Ottawa? Or could it be the Bruins?

Mass speculation that Ales Hemsky will be dealt to the #Bruins. Not sure what the #Oilers will want back besides Boston's 1 rd pick. - @OilerRumors

https://twitter.com/OilersRumors/sta...35180959645697

Granted, this is just a twitter post but he did have some stuff IIRC before they were "officially" announced - ie. Oilers wont get Raanta [a few hours before it was official] and the OKC getting Oiler preseason stuff.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:32 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

We need roster players not picks.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:34 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post

Mass speculation that Ales Hemsky will be dealt to the #Bruins. Not sure what the #Oilers will want back besides Boston's 1 rd pick. - @OilerRumors

Granted, this is just a twitter post but he did have some stuff IIRC before they were "officially" announced - ie. Oilers wont get Raanta [a few hours before it was official] and the OKC getting Oiler preseason stuff.
That account is brutal. Throws a bunch of stuff out there and eventually some of it will stick, but even the stuff that doesn't isn't unspoken.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post

Boston doesn't even have a first round pick. Traded in the Jagr deal.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:35 AM
sOiled

vCash: 50
Isn't Boston going to be struggling with some cap issues? Why would the be interested in Hemsky?

Ottawa made much more sense to me

Old
06-23-2013, 11:36 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Boston doesn't even have a first round pick. Traded in the Jagr deal.
And there's that.

Kinda like that whole story that blew up for treensoil that proved she was a fraud.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
We need roster players not picks.
Picks are just as valuable. More picks mean we can flip for cap dumps

Old
06-23-2013, 11:49 AM
frag2

Well with Bernier going to Leafs, I wonder if we trade the Leafs for Bernier

Epic Lolz

Old
06-23-2013, 11:49 AM
joestevens29

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 3m
Jonathan Bernier has been traded to Toronto for Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens, and a second round pick in 2014 or 2015 (Toronto's option)

There goes the Scrivens deal.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

So... Apparently making trades and announcing them isn't a complete no no...

Old
06-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

ice_chips
A week away from the NHL draft. A lot of folks guessing if Nichushkin will be the Canes' pick at No. 5. Was told had Canes held on to No. 8 pick last year and not traded for JStaal, they would have taken Grigorenko.

This is Chip Alexander, the Canes beat writer.

Trade with us *******s!

Old
06-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Quote:
Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 3m
Jonathan Bernier has been traded to Toronto for Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens, and a second round pick in 2014 or 2015 (Toronto's option)

There goes the Scrivens deal.
Toronto just got screwed hard.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:55 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Original View Post
It's kinda been happening anyway. It's just more of a respect thing.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Jeff Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Original View Post
No kidding. So why are we waiting?

Oh wait, I see. Our deals are with one of the teams playing then. Hemsky for Lucic?

Closed Thread