HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most popular players of all time?

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
No I didnt because the people in my school were actually nice and smart which is the opposite of what you are.

Perhaps it is time to see the end of this, yet another hijacked thread stolen from its topic by the flower children..

Old
06-07-2005, 09:12 PM
reckoning

vCash: 500
Is anybody interested in organizing a pool on how many replies this thread gets before one of the mods locks it?

Hmmm... I`ll guess 94.

Old
06-07-2005, 09:21 PM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
Your three months of insightful posting has won you many friends, no doubt. Your intelligent viewpoints have been refreshing and exciting. Bravo!! Yes, I hope someday to get some original ideas like Kovalev10 i.e. claiming to be an absolute expert on 70's hockey while not having any idea when Marcel Dionne played.. Refreshing indeed! And original? Of course!

Thanks so much for your input, chooch, it's a small wonder that you're so popular here. I'm glad that you and K10 have been able to form such a mutually satisfactory relationship. It's simply adorable

again, what do you really know about the history of hockey?

Old
06-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning
Is anybody interested in organizing a pool on how many replies this thread gets before one of the mods locks it?

Hmmm... I`ll guess 94.

i can't believe I get into pissing contests with this kind of foolishness. The history forum used to be a great place before these two came along and started filling threads with the same boring (somewhat creepy) Lafleur thang. When I first joined, HF, I didn't have to worry about getting called a poopy-head all the time. What's foolish is the silly bystander effect. We're all like someone driving by a fatal accident on the highway who can't quite turn away, which would be accomplished quite nicely with the ignore button Anyway, back to your question, reckoning, I'll say 82 replies..

Old
06-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch

again, what do you really know about the history of hockey?

I'd reckon more than you, but that's a moot point, isn't it?? Give your Lafleur poster a smooch for me at bedtime

Old
06-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
Oh so Guy was the first person ever to smoke? Half the people smoked back then but since you have no clue about anything in the 70-s you're wrong yet again. Go find somewhere else to sell your crap man.

and back in the 100 greatest thread, this gem directed right at poor old BBB:

You dont have anything to say about my post so you simply ignore it and instead post some dumb ****. Good way to go kid. Go watch some 70-s hockey and then come back and talk to me

Pray tell we poor uninformed posters what those days were like, pops...

Ok um I havent really had the upportunity to watch him play either but my dad has informed me of his greatness as he's 3 years older then Dionne.

Here are 2 sites you would wanna take a look at to see the bio of Dionne and what others think of him:

http://www.hockeysandwich.com/mdionne.html
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html...nonep199201.htm

Dionne was fourth on NHL's all-time points list (1,771) and third on goals list (731) through 2002; tied Wayne Gretzky for the league lead in points (137) in 1980; scored 50 goals in a season 6 times; won the Lady Byng Award for gentlemanly play in 1975 and 1977; member of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Now my father tells me that this guy was just one of the best in his era but the only thing about him is he played on a team where it had little to no exposure in LA, in a team that was very weak. However he still dominated the NHL in the 70-s and beginning 80-s along with Lafleur, Bossy, Gilbert Perrault, and of course Wayne Gretzky.

What a shame that our resident 1970's expert, who is able to rudely refute anything anyone else says about that decade didn't get to see Marcel Dionne. Oh, don't worry, I'm sure it's just fringe players like old Marcel that he missed out on. He saw the rest, I'm sure of it...

Old
06-07-2005, 09:43 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
I'd reckon more than you, but that's a moot point, isn't it?? Give your Lafleur poster a smooch for me at bedtime
Oh please you probably starting watching in the 1990-s, we've been watching since the late 60-s ok.

Old
06-07-2005, 09:46 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
and back in the 100 greatest thread, this gem directed right at poor old BBB:

You dont have anything to say about my post so you simply ignore it and instead post some dumb ****. Good way to go kid. Go watch some 70-s hockey and then come back and talk to me

Pray tell we poor uninformed posters what those days were like, pops...

Ok um I havent really had the upportunity to watch him play either but my dad has informed me of his greatness as he's 3 years older then Dionne.

Here are 2 sites you would wanna take a look at to see the bio of Dionne and what others think of him:

http://www.hockeysandwich.com/mdionne.html
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html...nonep199201.htm

Dionne was fourth on NHL's all-time points list (1,771) and third on goals list (731) through 2002; tied Wayne Gretzky for the league lead in points (137) in 1980; scored 50 goals in a season 6 times; won the Lady Byng Award for gentlemanly play in 1975 and 1977; member of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Now my father tells me that this guy was just one of the best in his era but the only thing about him is he played on a team where it had little to no exposure in LA, in a team that was very weak. However he still dominated the NHL in the 70-s and beginning 80-s along with Lafleur, Bossy, Gilbert Perrault, and of course Wayne Gretzky.

What a shame that our resident 1970's expert, who is able to rudely refute anything anyone else says about that decade didn't get to see Marcel Dionne. Oh, don't worry, I'm sure it's just fringe players like old Marcel that he missed out on. He saw the rest, I'm sure of it...
I dont remember a guy who I saw play only 5 times a year when he played vs. the habs like 30 years ago. What the hell do you remember from 30 years ago? Drinking milk as a 2 year old?

Old
06-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
Oh please you probably starting watching in the 1990-s, we've been watching since the late 60-s ok.

Of course you have. Did you ever get to fly out to LA to visit your dad that year when you were 8 (1970) and see Marcel Dionne play (using your magic time machine)??

Old
06-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
I dont remember a guy who I saw play only 5 times a year when he played vs. the habs like 30 years ago. What the hell do you remember from 30 years ago? Drinking milk as a 2 year old?

You should read (or get a trusted adult to help you) Aesop's fables. Therein lies the centaur who ran away in great distrust of the man who could blow both hot and cold from the same breath. It's neat how you've hung your tongue in the middle so it can wag on both ends. I remember Marcel Dionne, and I'm 34- that's my real age, not my fairy tale one...

Old
06-07-2005, 09:49 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
[/B]

Of course you have. Did you ever get to fly out to LA to visit your dad that year when you were 8 (1970) and see Marcel Dionne play (using your magic time machine)??
No I did not. You dont believe me then dont. I dont really give a rats ass what an ignorant kid believes.

Old
06-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
No I did not. You dont believe me then dont. I dont really give a rats ass what an ignorant kid believes.

You curse or call someone a name in every second post like a street corner hooker and call others ignorant?? You're an ironic little darling aren't you..

Do I believe you? Not a chance.

1) Your posts are highly irregular as to who and what you did and didn't see

2) A long time fan of a team like the habs wouldn't be so enamored with a 15 game rent-a-player as to adopt his name as their user title.

3) If you were older, you wouldn't respond to intelligent criticisms and questions by polite posters with "jackass" and "kid" all the time. It's very sophomoric

Old
06-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:

Anyone else wishing their own "Property of Bring Back BUcky" tattoo, can give me a shout. Kovalev10 may have found his somewhat painful, but those with higher pain tolerance won't mind a bit

Old
06-07-2005, 10:04 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
If this is true, it's really sad how much you've missed..

It really explains your insane overwrought homerism to me though.... I assume you've been a Hab fan the whole time so it'd be natural for you to overrate their players...

Old
06-07-2005, 10:44 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
You curse or call someone a name in every second post like a street corner hooker and call others ignorant?? You're an ironic little darling aren't you..

Do I believe you? Not a chance.

1) Your posts are highly irregular as to who and what you did and didn't see

2) A long time fan of a team like the habs wouldn't be so enamored with a 15 game rent-a-player as to adopt his name as their user title.

3) If you were older, you wouldn't respond to intelligent criticisms and questions by polite posters with "jackass" and "kid" all the time. It's very sophomoric
15 Game rent a player sadly has a million times the talent you have and better then any of the Oilers team's players. I can put whatever the heck I want as my username. Intelligent critcisms and questions by polite posters? That's got to be the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

Again I dont really care what you think and will not respond to anything "SMART" you say from now on. Sadly, I think that means I'm going to have to respond to everything since smart is something you lack of and it's sad.

Old
06-07-2005, 10:48 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses
If this is true, it's really sad how much you've missed..

It really explains your insane overwrought homerism to me though.... I assume you've been a Hab fan the whole time so it'd be natural for you to overrate their players...
Who have we overrated in the last 10 years huh? Go ahead tell me. The way I see it is people underrate the habs much more then we overrate our players. Like for instance Ribeiro. The guy has got a sick set of talent yet people say he sucks just because of one dive. Then people go as far as saying Raffi Torress is a better player then Michael Ryder. Then they say that Theodore isn't even a top 5 goalie in the league and include a guy with no playoff experience who wears huge ass pads and a 40 year old has been before him. And I could go on and on and on.

Old
06-07-2005, 11:57 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Who have we overrated in the last 10 years huh? Go ahead tell me. The way I see it is people underrate the habs much more then we overrate our players. Like for instance Ribeiro. The guy has got a sick set of talent yet people say he sucks just because of one dive. Then people go as far as saying Raffi Torress is a better player then Michael Ryder. Then they say that Theodore isn't even a top 5 goalie in the league and include a guy with no playoff experience who wears huge ass pads and a 40 year old has been before him. And I could go on and on and on.
You place Guy Lafleur among Lemieux, Gretzky and Orr... Enough said.

As for Ribeiro though, he has sick skills but he is still going to be hated because that dive was absolutely sickening. It wasn't the dive, it was what he did after. Disgusting. That has no place in any sport. Complete and utter lack of class. His skills can't change that.

Ryder... He's a good second liner and will be for his entire career. Raffi Torres certainly isn't better than him lol... but none the less Hab fans overrate him.

Theordore probably doesn't get the recognition he deserves among any wither though...

Still, you could go on and on? Next you'll be telling me Souray is one of the best in the league and Craig Rivet isn't a human pilon...

It's all good though, as long as you don't tell me Pierre Dagenais belongs as a top six forward on ANY team...

Old
06-08-2005, 12:33 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1010
On a local level, going back to the early 70's, Derek Sanderson in Boston.

Old
06-08-2005, 12:53 AM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses
You place Guy Lafleur among Lemieux, Gretzky and Orr... Enough said.

As for Ribeiro though, he has sick skills but he is still going to be hated because that dive was absolutely sickening. It wasn't the dive, it was what he did after. Disgusting. That has no place in any sport. Complete and utter lack of class. His skills can't change that.

Ryder... He's a good second liner and will be for his entire career. Raffi Torres certainly isn't better than him lol... but none the less Hab fans overrate him.

Theordore probably doesn't get the recognition he deserves among any wither though...

Still, you could go on and on? Next you'll be telling me Souray is one of the best in the league and Craig Rivet isn't a human pilon...

It's all good though, as long as you don't tell me Pierre Dagenais belongs as a top six forward on ANY team...
Ribeiro what he did was disgusting I agree. But people dont underrate him only for his attitude they also underrate him for his talent which is what I dont get.

What do we overrate about Ryder? Many people considered Ryder to be the best non goalie rookie last year. He's got a tremendous shot, is tough, hits, takes hits to make plays, has a great attitude and a fairly good passing ability. If he keeps it up I could see him as a very good first line player IMO. 63 Points as a rookie in this dead puck era is something.

Theodore's the most underrated goalie in the league. There's no goalie I would choose for a big game other then Brodeur.

Souray is in fact one of the best in the league. Who's the last defenseman to get a hat trick or score 6 points in one game? Souray's got the best shot in the league, is a great checker and tough. He was selected on team canada too.

I dont like Rivet either.

Dagenais is not a great player but if he could improve on his skating and start using his size to his advantage I could see him scoring 25-30 goals a year. He did score 17 goals in only 50 games last year and had the highest goals per game average on our team. He's not great player though because he can't pass for his life.

Old
06-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
15 Game rent a player sadly has a million times the talent you have and better then any of the Oilers team's players. I can put whatever the heck I want as my username. Intelligent critcisms and questions by polite posters? That's got to be the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

Again I dont really care what you think and will not respond to anything "SMART" you say from now on. Sadly, I think that means I'm going to have to respond to everything since smart is something you lack of and it's sad.

Somewhere, a retired third grade teacher is looking at these semantics and shaking her head, wondering where she went so terribly wrong..

Old
06-08-2005, 09:27 AM
pei fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
On a local level, going back to the early 70's, Derek Sanderson in Boston.
Nice try but the thread is officially hi-jacked.Maybe we could re hi-jack it.
I think Yvon Cournyer was a fan favourite. He was a pretty stylish player
with lots of flair when he had the puck.I wasn't a montreal fan but I enjoyed
watching him.

Old
06-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Bring Back Bucky

Kelly Buchberger, as I mentioned before was popular far beyond his playing ability during his time in Edmonton.

Old
06-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Bring Back Bucky

When I used to be stuck watching leaf games growing up on hnic, I enjoyed Bill Derlago, TOm Fergus & Dan Daoust amongst others. I also had high hopes for Myroslav Frycer.

Old
06-08-2005, 10:19 AM
ClassicHockey

Gordie Howe & Rocket Richard

When I was watching hockey in the 60's, I read all the comparisons between Rocket Richard & Gordie Howe. There were many 'polls' of who was the most popular, and they both were. For years, I had always thought that Howe was not only the best player, but the toughest and the most loved as well.

Now, I have much different views.

As for being a complete player, Howe was better. If it was the best clutch player, it was Rocket Richard. No question on those two aspects. Richard came through more often in the important games and also scored a number of overtime goals.

But for toughness, I favour Rocket Richard. And, for respect among players, I think that Richard wins that as well.

Before I continue, I want to say that, in the work I do, I have access to and watch more video of games from the 40's to the 70's than most people. I have researched both Richard and Howe and have contributed to publications. I have worked on a number of historical documentaries on both players - including currently. And, I have spoken at length to many players from the 40's to the 70's about their feelings & experiences about both players.

Yes, Gordie Howe was tough. But he was one of the dirtiest players to ever play. Yes, he did elbow, slash, high-stick opponents (mostly rookies & the less tougher players) but sometimes without any provocation at all. Even his teammates say that. And, what gets me is that amost always he did the dirty deeds sneakily and behind the play when the opponents weren't ready. And for some reason, when Howe did this, its treated as an honourable thing which it isn't. Players say that if you left the Rocket alone, he never instigated any rough and dirty play. But Richard was fouled so often that he took his retaliation to extremes.

Howe didn't fight often and because of the Fontinato fight, he had the reputation as the best fighter. But he didn't fight all the tough guys. And didn't fare all that well in fights earlier in his career. Rocket Richard fought much more often and fought all the tough guys in his era.

Another thing that made players of that generation dislike Howe was that Howe played a big part in killing the first players association in 1957. A lot of players suffered because of that.

Richard had a more loyal and passionate following than Howe did in his day.
That's a bit of an unfair comparison because of the cultural aspects of the type of adoration that Richard received in Quebec.

This is too long already and I could go on and on with comparisons and I can back up any opinions and answer any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
How was only really nasty when provoked. Many have said that when they were against the boards or not paying attention the would hear a "Look out!" just before Howe would hit them so they would have some chance to defend themselves. It should be said though this didn't apply to rookies or tough guys. But Gordie always did this to other stars of his time like Beliveau because he understood the value of those players to the league.

There is something about Beliveau. Even Bruin fans are hard pressed to come up with something. Hell even Harry Sinden once said "It would be like desecrating a monument." When Brad Park came in the league and hehit Beliveau with a clean check and knocked him down, Park's own mother wouldn't speak to him for a week. I don't know if he was as loved and revered as much as Rocket, but I thik he was and is more respected. He still is Le Capitaine.

Old
06-08-2005, 11:04 AM
mcphee

CH, my perception of the Rocket was that since his temper was common knowledge, he became more of a target. Verbal and physical abuse came his way and he seemed to feel that he had to respond to all of it. His take the law in your own hands mentality, never behind the play, had him in trouble with the league constantly. They couldn't sweep anything under the rug with him, because he did it in front of everyone. My father told me that Red Storey had a bit of a reputation for not allowing stars to be targeted,the Rocket in particular.This probably helped the downward spiral of Storey's relationship with the league, as he was perceived as a pro Mtl. ref.

Closed Thread