HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYR-VAN Prop

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2005, 12:39 AM
machine_head_2002

vCash: 500
NYR-VAN Prop

Henrik Lundqvist for Dan Cloutier, Brent Sopel

Vancouver takes a big chance in Lundqvist while they free up some $$$ for a shot at Kariya/Niedermayer/Niedermayer while the Rangers add some vet leadership to their rebuilding squad in hopes to sneak into the playoffs.

Old
06-02-2005, 12:49 AM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
This would create a bit of a logjam as far as goalie prospects are concerned, and it would give us 2 holes we'd need to fill, along with the other various holes in our team. As much as i'v heard good things about Lundqvist, i don't know if it's worth it for Vancouver.

Old
06-02-2005, 01:42 AM
nyr5186

An emphatic NO from a Ranger fan.

You contradicted your own statement. You say the Rangers are a rebuilding club, yet you propose they trade away their stud goalie prospect of the future and perhaps the best prospect in their system for two average players in hopes of sneaking into the playoffs. Its something that I definately wouldnt put past Sather to do 2 years ago, but from the looks of it, management is ecstatic about Lundqvist and plans to bring him overseas in an effort to let him take over the starting role by season's end. If theres any goalie prospect Sather might look into trading, its probably Montoya, even though his value is pretty low at the moment considering his shaky performance this year. Maybe Sather is planning a package consisting of picks and Montoya for Crosby or Brule/Johnson, assuming a draft takes place.

Old
06-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Peter Griffin

As a Canucks' fan, I can't say I wouldn't make this trade, but at this point, the Canucks need to go for a proven playoff netminder, not another completely unproven question mark.

Old
06-02-2005, 11:45 AM
FLYLine24*

Heck No! Lundqvist has the potential to easily be a Franchise goalie we are not going to trade away for a broken down goalie, and a 28 year old defensman (we have enough defensman ready to make the jump to the NHL and we have a few others still on the team) This wouldn't benefit us at all.

Old
06-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Path Of The Beserker
Greasy Swede

i wouldnt trade lundqvist from a rebuiling team for those two.

Old
06-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Skk82

Quote:
Maybe Sather is planning a package consisting of picks and Montoya for Crosby or Brule/Johnson, assuming a draft takes place.
i agreed with your post up until that part. no team is going to accept montoya as the centerpiece of a crosby deal. crosby might be the most untouchable prospect ever

Old
06-02-2005, 12:53 PM
JR#9*

Not even close.

For a change Youth is what is most valuable to the NYR's at this point and aside from Lundy's promising future why would anybody trade for a shakey #1 goalie who makes way too much money, especially with a Cap being installed?

He has next to no trade value and Sopel does zero for the NYR's at this stage of the game.

Old
06-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Trottier
Very Random

The deal makes no sense for either team.

The NYR case has been already presented.

Vancouver is not looking for an ultra-young (read: totally UNPROVEN) goalie, no matter what his potential. That team's window is now and the next few seasons, as its corp is hitting their prime.

They need an NHL-proven improvement over Cloutier, not a "future".

Old
06-02-2005, 01:29 PM
JR#9*

What's up Trotts??

Long time no speak!!!

Hope things are going well and now that things may be turning the corner hopefully we all can get right back into Hockey mode again with hopefully an upcoming draft to talk about followed by a crazy FA season.

Old
06-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Wisent

From a Vancouver point I'd jump all over that. What Lundqvist did in the playoffs was astounding. I don't see him as unproven. As a Ranger I wouldn't do it. What should they do with these two players? They have goalies, so it would boil down to Lundqvist for Sopel. I wouldn't do that.

Old
06-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
What's up Trotts??

Long time no speak!!!

Hope things are going well and now that things may be turning the corner hopefully we all can get right back into Hockey mode again with hopefully an upcoming draft to talk about followed by a crazy FA season.
Same back at you, JR.

Personally, hoping that this lockout can last another six season, so as to eat up the rest of Yashin's contract.

Joking aside, it should be interesting once things start up again. When all is said and done, the NHL will not suffer much fan fallout from this lockout, IMO. (I realize that is not popular opinion.) For the sport is not widely popular in the States to begin with, and interest/dedication among real fans runs deep. NHL fans are looking forward for play to resume, not looking to walk away from the league.

In a perverse way, I want to see your team win the Crosby sweepstakes, just to read/hear the incessant whining that will go on among fan/media bemoaning that the draft was "fixed!!!!!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent
What Lundqvist did in the playoffs was astounding. I don't see him as unproven.
Refresh my memory: When did Lundquist perform in the NHL playoffs, let alone the NHL? You know, the best league in the world, with the adults playing? Must of missed that.

Unless one is misinterpreting, your comment above suggests little/no differentiation between a guy yet to skate on NHL ice and the Brodeurs, Khabibulins, etc. of the world. Respectfully, time for a reality check.

No one is suggesting that he does not have the potential to be special in the NHL. But he hasn't proven a thing yet as far as that league goes.

Last edited by Trottier: 06-02-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old
06-02-2005, 02:10 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine_head_2002

Vancouver takes a big chance in Lundqvist while they free up some $$$ for a shot at Kariya/Niedermayer/Niedermayer while the Rangers add some vet leadership to their rebuilding squad in hopes to sneak into the playoffs.
undefined

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old
06-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Large_Farva*

Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier

Refresh my memory: When did Lundquist perform in the NHL playoffs, let alone the NHL? You know, the best league in the world, with the adults playing? Must of missed that.
Well, Lundqvist did actually dominate in the best Hockey league last season.

As far as that deal goes.. NO! Why on earth would the Rangers ever do that??? Someone explain why? So they can get a Goalie that will lead a team nowhere? So they can get a defenseman that you can actually call horrible? So they can trade away their best prospect for garbage?

Old
06-02-2005, 06:14 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine_head_2002

yeah sure... what are you kidding me.

From a NYR fan HELL NO

Old
06-02-2005, 06:41 PM
captaincanadian

Send a message via AIM to captaincanadian Send a message via MSN to captaincanadian
This trade makes absolutely no sense for either team. New York wouldn't deal an amazing prospect like Lundqvist for a package of Clouts and Sopel, especially considering they're in a rebuild.

Vancouver would want no part in trading them for a goalie who has never played an nhl game. If we're trading Cloutier, it's going to have to be because we are trading him in a deal for a goalie who has already proven he's better than him, or because we need to dump him because we have already acquired one.

Old
06-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier

Unless one is misinterpreting, your comment above suggests little/no differentiation between a guy yet to skate on NHL ice and the Brodeurs, Khabibulins, etc. of the world. Respectfully, time for a reality check.

No one is suggesting that he does not have the potential to be special in the NHL. But he hasn't proven a thing yet as far as that league goes.
you're making sound like he was playing against 12 year olds. I agree, there is still some question marks (eg. how he will adjust to the ice surface), but I wouldn't say he is totally unproven, as he's proved he can stop the puck (named the top goalie above Theodore) which I like in a goalie.

Old
06-02-2005, 07:33 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Both sides say no

New York moreso

Old
06-02-2005, 07:42 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
Both sides say no

New York moreso

Agreed.

Old
06-02-2005, 11:48 PM
Shareefruck

If I'm Vancouver, I'd take that in a second.

Old
06-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Large_Farva*

Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk
If I'm Vancouver, I'd take that in a second.
Well I'd hope so! The Rangers would be getting ***** in this deal.

Old
06-03-2005, 12:06 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large_Farva
Well I'd hope so! The Rangers would be getting ***** in this deal.
yep.

A 40 pt PP quaterback and a 3 time 30 game winner for a goalie who has never played in the NHL.

Old
06-03-2005, 02:33 AM
ahmon

wow talk about overrating prospects here.. even though this deal doesn't make sense for both teams.. cloutier and sopel combine worths a lot more than lundqvist ( just one good wc performance doesn't mean hes the next hasek)

Old
06-03-2005, 08:02 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon
wow talk about overrating prospects here.. even though this deal doesn't make sense for both teams.. cloutier and sopel combine worths a lot more than lundqvist ( just one good wc performance doesn't mean hes the next hasek)

Is cloutier that much better then Weekes?The Rangers have some young d-men they're high on and it's shaping up to be a crowded ufa market,so if they want to add a vet d-man,they can without giving up a bluechip prospect.

the Rangers think Lundquist has the potential to become a top goalie.Since they're rebuilding with youngsters,it doesn't make sense that they'd trade a top bluechipper(who's close to being nhl ready),for 2 solid players.

Old
06-03-2005, 08:06 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon
agreed, Cloutier is a very good goalie and needs a change of scenery at this point, Sopel is also a solid dman, Vancouver can get more

Closed Thread